The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feefifofum

On a semi serious note, the ending, 'You are a mouse in a maze' shows such a menacing side to him. I'm hoping he brings that aspect back to the Doctor. I didn't find Eleven's anger credible at all, and I didn't find him threatening.

It's weird with Matt Smith, he has some very dark moments ala basically murdering Solomon in 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship' and yet you don't really get the gravitas of what he's done until you think about it later. There's just something about either his acting or his whole demeanor that doesn't quite pull of the almost haunted aspect and look of the Doctor who has seen so many horrors and lost so many people. I heard Tennant described very nicely once as someone who clearly notes every person who he's seen die and catalogues them in his brain so he never forgets them and their sacrifice, and sadly that's just not something that Smith really does.

Though I still enjoy him when DW is light, when he's just being silly I think he's one of the very best at it but hopefully Capaldi can bring back the 'weight of the world' look that Tennant and Eccleston did so well.
Reply 2141
Original post by Profesh
Like a ****ing actor.

And also:

[video="youtube;tfQTjVQFj8w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfQTjVQFj8w[/video]

He got a BAFTA nomination for that role.
Reply 2142
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
"Run you clever boy"
"**** off"

:rofl2:

I know, ****ing brilliant and the 'trailer' is superb, great that there actually were such relevant Thick of it lines to put in it. And Malcolm Tucker will always be one of my all time favourite comedy characters, so many brilliant one liners that he delivers perfectly and I guess you have to give the writers credit for coming up with such brilliant lines like 'tinker, tailor, soldier, ****' :rofl2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2143
Original post by An Ignorant Duck
Some people need to let Matt Smith go. I hated his buffoonish portrayal of the Doctor. Darker Doctor FTW!

Its almost always the same and I agree I wasn't a fan. The fandoms never seem to be able accept it when their beloved actor doesn't stay around. I'm really not sure whether Capaldi will be loved anywhere near as much as Tennant or Smith though because of his age and the fact I can't see him being anything like the often crazy and like you say buffonish like previously, which seems to be what most like, however I have a feeling I will like his doctor, while others don't lol, cause I can see him being more serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
at first I was shocked as I was expecting another young actor (seeing as the pattern so far had been a younger Doctor every time), but I am looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi playing the Doctor as I think he will be quite good. He seems to have that kind of quirky, funny but also quite serious combination which is needed to play the Doctor. In my opinion he is a very good choice.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Exactly the reason why Doctor Who should give up the notion of being a kids show.

my brother showed me that the other day, its absolutely hilarious. whoever made it is a legend.
Reply 2146
I am soooo happy with Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor! I loved Matt but we need a darker Doctor :wink: Plus I absolutely loved Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker from the The Thick Of It and I secretly hope he brings some of Malcolm's personality into the role!!:wink:
Peter Capaldi is a legend. Quite happy with the choice, though I'd have loved to see a new face :smile:
Reply 2148
If you think about it, it's a great choice that the Doctor is going from appearing very young to reasonably old. It wouldn't have worked if Peter Capaldi turned into Matt Smith as I think people would be up in arms. Hopefully after Capaldi they can start going for the reasonable aged actors again.

But yeah, seriously, I'm very happy about the actor choice and that the Clara/Doctor relationship may turn parental (but considering that it's flirty now it may seem awkward as the relationship turns from flirty to daddy).

As other people have said on this thread, with an older Doctor, it would be good to have a male companion (but not someone who would then flirt with Clara)
Peter Capaldi is fantastic in The Thick of It so can't wait to see him as the Doctor, makes a nice change to have an older/more well known actor in the role as well!

bring on the 50th Anniversary special...
Eccleston was my favourite so far and Capaldi strikes me as an actor in a similar vein. A doctor who is deeply principled, instantly commands the respect of everyone in the room and full of wit and sarcasm. What set Eccleston apart from the rest for me was that when he spoke seriously, when he was deep and unflinching, you really felt it. The danger was so much more evident. I feel that every series since then has had less and less gravitas, which wasn't a problem for Tennant - he was utterly fantastic - pulled of the essential 'weight of the world' look to a tee, and the writing for his first two series' was superb. The Catharine Tate series onwards however for me just hasn't done it. The plots are needlessly complex, the Doctor (read as Smith) is nonchalant and is cringeworthy in the moments when a brooding actor was needed. It basically became much more of a kids show, which I guess isn't too much of a problem as the target audience were satisfied but certainly disenchanted me, to the extent I stopped being a regular viewer.

What I yearn for is some classic drama. I want the Doctor to face some incredibly tough moral situations and I want him to suffer, to make the lighter moments that much more pleasurable. He shouldn't 'win' every episode, and every character should be in danger. I know it's a show about time travel and crazy space aliens, but I want the human element to feel believable - just look at the Walking Dead for an example of how that's possible. Moffat's episodes under RTD were the best but his series' have had some cheap plots, and then some overly complicated ones alongside. I hope he can engineer a series with a different tone with a subtle approach, and provide Peter Capaldi with the scripts his talent is capable of nailing. For the first time in a few years, I'm genuinely excited for the next series of Doctor Who, and long may that continue!
Reply 2151
This choice of actor shows that the British icon of Doctor Who is currently considered to be best represented by a fragile-looking spindly old man who dresses younger.
Original post by Picaa
This choice of actor shows that the British icon of Doctor Who is currently considered to be best represented by a fragile-looking spindly old man who dresses younger.

But the actor chosen isn't fragile looking or spindly, nor particularly old. And he dresses his age.
Original post by Picaa

:console: Ode to have your positive outlook on the world.

In all seriousness, can we please stop calling him old? 55 is not even close to being old unless your yardstick is Justin Beiber. Also if you've seen him act you would know he isn't fragile looking in the slightest, Malcolm Tucker is the obvious example of a man who just the threat of violence is scary enough and that despite whatever physical appearance he may have, he commands respect much more than most Doctor's have ever done. Also we don't know anything about his fashion style yet so it's a bit early to have a go at how he will dress.

Original post by St. Brynjar
x

Huzzah for Eccleston love!

It will be interesting to see if they just write him as 'The Doctor' or as 'The 12th Doctor' with a slightly different personality. I know some writers have said they don't put the actor into account when writing, just the established character, but I can't see that happening with Capaldi as there is already a call to move towards a darker Doctor and some of the silliness I doubt would sit right even if he could pull it off. I wonder as well if he'll get any romantic moments ala Smith did, it's fairly irritating how people assume that just because of his age they will remove any sexual tension but then again, I like my Doctor to be asexual <3
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

It will be interesting to see if they just write him as 'The Doctor' or as 'The 12th Doctor' with a slightly different personality.

I don't know if this is a new quote because it was out of context and doesn't mention a name, but probably still applies, but Moffat said something like "for his first series we'll write him as a generic Doctor, and then take into account what he brings to the role and go from there."
I'm annoyed that once again they're using someone who's already had a role in the show. Poor continuity stresses me out!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I'm annoyed that once again they're using someone who's already had a role in the show. Poor continuity stresses me out!

Deep breaths..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2157
Original post by greeneyedgirl

Doppelgangers? It's a possibility so it might help you :tongue:
Original post by Hopple
Doppelgangers? It's a possibility so it might help you :tongue:

I have my personal fan theory that time lords can only regenerate to look like people they've seen before, even if they only do it subconsciously. This can be extended so that well trained time lords can consciously do it and choose who they regenerate into, provided they've seen him/her before, which explains that time-lord woman from the old Doctor Who who's name I can't remember :tongue:
Reply 2159
Original post by King Hotpie
I have my personal fan theory that time lords can only regenerate to look like people they've seen before, even if they only do it subconsciously. This can be extended so that well trained time lords can consciously do it and choose who they regenerate into, provided they've seen him/her before, which explains that time-lord woman from the old Doctor Who who's name I can't remember :tongue:

But... there's no need! :tongue: There's a perfectly non-complicated reason for people looking the same.

Quick Reply

Latest