The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Hotpie
I have my personal fan theory that time lords can only regenerate to look like people they've seen before, even if they only do it subconsciously. This can be extended so that well trained time lords can consciously do it and choose who they regenerate into, provided they've seen him/her before, which explains that time-lord woman from the old Doctor Who who's name I can't remember :tongue:

That's creative as hell, i hope the next Doctoe is Kylie Minogue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hopple
But... there's no need! :tongue: There's a perfectly non-complicated reason for people looking the same.

Hey, my theories not complicated at all! :tongue: As for people randomly making doppelgängers of the Doctor to send back to Roman times... That requires some explaining!
Hey, my theories not complicated at all! :tongue: As for people randomly making doppelgängers of the Doctor to send back to Roman times... That requires some explaining!

I think he means coincidental doppelgangers, as appose to made ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kelani
That's creative as hell, i hope the next Doctoe is Kylie Minogue

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm voting Alan Sugar. We can start the season with 12 companions and whittle them down from there :cool:
Reply 2164

Not making doppelgangers, they just look the same due to some quirk of random genetics.
Original post by Hopple
Not making doppelgangers, they just look the same due to some quirk of random genetics.

That's too simple! My inner nerd cries out for something more in depth!

Spoiler

I wish Steven Moffat would stop ****ing about with the show, he's made it too confusing and is losing his audiences. Ecclestone was the Best and so was Russell T Davis, that man had skills. I don't mind this new fella, I think he's quite good, but I want someone more dark, like ecclestone. I hear he's a really nice guy on person.
Original post by Sphodromantis
I wish Steven Moffat would stop ****ing about with the show, he's made it too confusing and is losing his audiences. Ecclestone was the Best and so was Russell T Davis, that man had skills. I don't mind this new fella, I think he's quite good, but I want someone more dark, like ecclestone. I hear he's a really nice guy on person.

I agree, I miss the days of Russell T Davis, those were brilliant episodes and not too confusing or cheesy like the series has become now :s :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apple.pie
I agree, I miss the days of Russell T Davis, those were brilliant episodes and not too confusing or cheesy like the series has become now :s :frown:

I always thought that Davies was much cheesier than Moffat is as a showrunner, imho the series has been much more consistent under him and a lot of the story archs have been much more interesting.

Can't say I get the 'confusing' allegation either, it's hardly 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' but the speculation you get out of it is much more enjoyable than Davies got and apart from the saminess of the companions and a slight lack of character arc for the Doctor, I can't think of anything he's done bad which is worse than what came before (Durn it, you guys are turning me into a Moffat defender :unimpressed:).

Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't know if this is a new quote because it was out of context and doesn't mention a name, but probably still applies, but Moffat said something like "for his first series we'll write him as a generic Doctor, and then take into account what he brings to the role and go from there."

I wish I could find the quote but I can imagine it being more about Matt than Peter as he was fairly unknown and so they wouldn't know his strengths as well whereas with Peter they've got to have a good idea about where his skills lie (which is just about everywhere :awesome: )

Original post by greeneyedgirl
I'm annoyed that once again they're using someone who's already had a role in the show. Poor continuity stresses me out!

To be fair getting continuity from a sci-fi series is like banging your head against the wall in the hope that liquid gold comes out of your ears :console:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

I wish I could find the quote but I can imagine it being more about Matt than Peter as he was fairly unknown and so they wouldn't know his strengths as well whereas with Peter they've got to have a good idea about where his skills lie (which is just about everywhere :awesome: )

This is true, but he wouldn't play the Doctor in the same way he played Malcom Tucker or Sid's Dad :tongue: I'd imagine he'd probably try to emulate one of the Doctors he grew up with, Troughton or Pertwee I guess, or he might bring a whole new dimension to it which even the Grand Moff hasn't foreseen :tongue:
Reply 2170
This is true, but he wouldn't play the Doctor in the same way he played Malcom Tucker or Sid's Dad :tongue: I'd imagine he'd probably try to emulate one of the Doctors he grew up with, Troughton or Pertwee I guess, or he might bring a whole new dimension to it which even the Grand Moff hasn't foreseen :tongue:

I think that Peter Capaldi is more than capable of having different elements of some of the most favourite Doctors when the situations arise but also putting his own slant on it. I hope he plays the Doctor a bit like Ecclestone, dark and moody but also very witty at times and I think a lot of people underestimate how capable Capaldi is of doing this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knows, he does have a good body of work which shows his diversity but I would have thought Moffat was going in having a good idea of what he wanted. Remember in the reveal show he said he made a video/trailer using their work to show what he would be like as a Doctor so it's not impossible to believe there are elements of previous characters in there somewhere (Yay speculation :awesome:)

But now I want him to go around palying a flute in a cape :innocent:
Original post by St. Brynjar
Eccleston was my favourite so far and Capaldi strikes me as an actor in a similar vein. A doctor who is deeply principled, instantly commands the respect of everyone in the room and full of wit and sarcasm.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, and I think I said something similar a few pages back. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone a bit more serious and dramatic, someone who you really get the impression of the hundreds of years of experience they've lived. I feel like Matt Smith wasn't really given a chance to shine. Most of the time the 11th doctor was just silly and increasingly flirty when Clara came along. Which is a shame because in some episodes Matt actually does show that serious angry Doctor well, but Moffat seems determined to make it more of a kids show.

Hopefully with Capaldi we'll see a change of direction and tone, the fact they've cast him rather than someone younger shows they're not afraid to change things to make the show better. But part of me wishes Moffat would step down, the writing of many recent episodes was quite poor (silly storylines, quick resolutions, annoying dialogue) and its become a lot more childish in a way but also overly complicated. Which is weird because Moffat wrote some of the best episodes under RTD, but his series story arcs aren't as good. But he's said he's staying put for the moment, so I'm hoping the 12th doctor will be enough to bring something fresh to the show and produce better stories.
Original post by Hopple
Doppelgangers? It's a possibility so it might help you :tongue:

Still not great! BBC should just branch out a bit :yep: mind you as I'm doing some filming for them next week I'm hopeful that they'll spot me and go "she looks like a great companion, and while we're at it, she should be head writer too..."
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Still not great! BBC should just branch out a bit :yep: mind you as I'm doing some filming for them next week I'm hopeful that they'll spot me and go "she looks like a great companion, and while we're at it, she should be head writer too..."

What is that creature in your sigpic? It looks a lot like my chinchilla, but more rabbitie :tongue:
What is that creature in your sigpic? It looks a lot like my chinchilla, but more rabbitie :tongue:

It is a rabbit I think!
Just keeping up with the DW shown on BBC3 right now, it's interesting how in 'A Town Called Mercy' a character says to the Doctor whose ready to shoot him, 'You wouldn't!' to which he responds something along the lines of 'I really don't know'. I can only presume this is a call back to 'The Doctor's Daughter' where he proclaims he is the man 'who never would', in other words three cheers for a Doctor getting progressively darker and loosing his previously held ideals :colone:

/Random Who thought of the day.
(edited 10 years ago)
^ I hated that self-righteous speech from Doctor's Daughter :tongue:
^ I hated that self-righteous speech from Doctor's Daughter :tongue:

It's certainly not one of my favourite episodes, far too cheesy for me. I wonder if they all had to wear braclets saying 'WWTDD?' after :tongue: The bloke does have a weird messianic complex to him.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
It's certainly not one of my favourite episodes, far too cheesy for me. I wonder if they all had to wear braclets saying 'WWTDD?' after :tongue: The bloke does have a weird messianic complex to him.

Well, mainly under RTD. One of the things I don't miss about his tenure.

Quick Reply

Latest