The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the.cookie.monster
At my school we got given rough A2 predictions(including in the subject you intend to drop) to give us an idea of where we could apply.
The predictions then may be altered in light of AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same at mine. I think it's quite a good strategy actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you ended up with AABB/ABBB at AS level , what sort of Universities could you realistically apply to and look to gain an offer from ? ( assume GCSE's to be 3A*'s and 6A's , PS and reference are good and assume an A*AA prediction )
Original post by Fas
if you ended up with AABB/ABBB at AS level , what sort of Universities could you realistically apply to and look to gain an offer from ? ( assume GCSE's to be 3A*'s and 6A's , PS and reference are good and assume an A*AA prediction )

I would say anywhere but Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE or UCL as basically everyone applying to these will have straight As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
I would say anywhere but Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE or UCL as basically everyone applying to these will have straight As.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nonsense he can apply to all of them except for Oxbridge I'd say.
Original post by Dilzo999
Nonsense he can apply to all of them except for Oxbridge I'd say.

But LSE is wayyyy more competitive than Oxbridge for economics, 20+ applicants per place compared to 9 for Cambridge and 14 for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
But LSE is wayyyy more competitive than Oxbridge for economics, 20+ applicants per place compared to 9 for Cambridge and 14 for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because most of them are international students who'll likely get rejected.
Reply 506
Original post by Dilzo999
That's because most of them are international students who'll likely get rejected.

Plus they give out far more offers... 20 applicants per SPACE, 8 per OFFER. Where as Cambridge the ratio of offers to acceptances is close to 1:1. Same goes for many other unis. Outside the top 5 unis give offers to ~50% of applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 507
Is there any stats on the internet, where all the 'Applicants to offers/spaces' are displayed for each university and course?

May be helpful in deciding potential choices :smile:
Reply 508
Original post by Jkizer
Is there any stats on the internet, where all the 'Applicants to offers/spaces' are displayed for each university and course?

There was one but I can't quite remember the name, I'll let you know of I find it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 509
Original post by Jkizer

I think the 'Which' website has something like this..
Reply 510
Wondering how many books are you guys going to mention in your Personal statement? I'm considering cutting out Worldly Philosphers from the PS, so i can write more about the other 2 books which i read.
Original post by Jkizer
Wondering how many books are you guys going to mention in your Personal statement? I'm considering cutting out Worldly Philosphers from the PS, so i can write more about the other 2 books which i read.

gone for 3 books in mine , 2 of them i am using for my Economics-related EPQ though , so hopefully that should be fine.
Original post by Jkizer

So far I've got two I might mention, but I've got quite a few more to read before I decide. I'll probably include some that I use for my EPQ to link that all together
Reply 513
Original post by Fas
gone for 3 books in mine , 2 of them i am using for my Economics-related EPQ though , so hopefully that should be fine.

Original post by robin1125
So far I've got two I might mention, but I've got quite a few more to read before I decide. I'll probably include some that I use for my EPQ to link that all together

Ahh ok cool. So are you going to directly in your PS with your epq? E.g. I completed an epq on xxxx which lead me to reading yyy which explained how gggg?
Original post by Jkizer
Ahh ok cool. So are you going to directly in your PS with your epq? E.g. I completed an epq on xxxx which lead me to reading yyy which explained how gggg?

sort of yeah , ive talked about what im investigating in my EPQ and tried to sort of show evidence of critical thinking , by analysing a viewpoint that my 2 books differ on , and establishing my own opinion about that particular viewpoint if that makes any sense ? :smile:
Reply 515
Original post by Fas
sort of yeah , ive talked about what im investigating in my EPQ and tried to sort of show evidence of critical thinking , by analysing a viewpoint that my 2 books differ on , and establishing my own opinion about that particular viewpoint if that makes any sense ? :smile:

Okie dokie Thanks :smile:

Most of my details come from the books, i try spot weaknesses of my 2 books after a brief outline. I also said how 1 book lead me to writing an essay about the topic :smile:
Not sure if that's what admissions are looking for but I think its good :smile:
I'm 1 line over so I gotta go and make adjustments but its wiring progress :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
Okie dokie Thanks :smile:

Most of my details come from the books, i try spot weaknesses of my 2 books after a brief outline. I also said how 1 book lead me to writing an essay about the topic :smile:
Not sure if that's what admissions are looking for but I think its good :smile:
I'm 1 line over so I gotta go and make adjustments but its wiring progress :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah , thats definitely something worth mentioning in your PS :smile: well mine is about 6000 characters long haahahahhahahaha so your beating me there :tongue:
Original post by amg_22
Five interviews from three colleges :tongue:

Did you do an EPQ? I was going to, but I just don't think I have time to in two weeks... Haven't entered any essay competitions though so it might be necessary...
Reply 518
Ok so I’m an non EU international student. Just got my results for AS which is A*A*AA for math, lit, bio and chem. I’m dropping lit in A2 but my GCSE weren’t so great (5A*s,2As, 2Bs). Which uni do you all think I could be able to get in?
Heard from a few threads that even if you fulfilled the entry requirements, that still doesn’t secure you a place :s-smilie: So I’m a bit nervous deciding whether to apply to Warwick or not...
Original post by lynnny8
Ok so I’m an non EU international student. Just got my results for AS which is A*A*AA for math, lit, bio and chem. I’m dropping lit in A2 but my GCSE weren’t so great (5A*s,2As, 2Bs). Which uni do you all think I could be able to get in?
Heard from a few threads that even if you fulfilled the entry requirements, that still doesn’t secure you a place :s-smilie: So I’m a bit nervous deciding whether to apply to Warwick or not...

I'm pretty sure you can't get A* at AS do you mean 90%+? Also most universities prefer Further Maths so it'd be wise if you took that up in your 2nd year as an AS. I'd say with those grades and GCSE's you have a good shot at Warrick and maybe even Oxbridge with a good interview.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending