The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PythianLegume
Nope - I wouldn't insure a university I didn't want to go to.

It's not always that simple though. The top universities usually give the same offer for particular subjects so you end up having to insure pretty mediocre universities that really aren't worth the tuition. I also didn't use any A*AA firm choices (not that there were many for the subject anyway) because I didn't realize that I would destroy the ISAs (our school does them pretty late). Oh well.
Reply 1581
Original post by Where'sPerry?

There was some confusion for me because my course was categorised as a postgraduate course by mistake and this still needs to be changed. My university assured me that the information would be corrected :s-smilie:

All of mine are apparently 'Postgraduate Masters Diploma's, do yours say this too? I didn't phone up, just assuming it was another one of UCAS's errors :redface:
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Yes, if that happens I suppose they are most likely to take me on to my insurance course if anything. My firm and insurance are the same uni so I hope they like me for that :colondollar:

Sorry, I didn't explain well. My firm is AAB (A in biology) and my insurance is ABB (A in biology), I've always known that. But after the March results, I found that I already have an A in my geography A-Level (I started it early) and a B in my maths A-Level. Therefore, I actually can't get into my insurance now if I get an A in biology.

It's SO confusing I know :redface:

Hi, i hope you don't mind me asking what course are you applying for? :wink:
Original post by kate_louise21
haha thats what i do aswell always put hopefully in case i jinx myself into being too confident that im going to uni. Im (hopefully) doing Arabic and Middle East Studies. Applied for catered - Holland Hall, Pennslyvania Court and Birks Grange Village. Would be happy with any one of them :smile:

Wow, sounds like an interesting course!:') I've applied to go to Loughborough & have been guaranteed accommodation in Falk-Egg hall, so I really want to get in so that I can think of myself as a little more like Gatsby ahaha! (Is that lame? It's really lame right?:L)
Original post by Padouken
It's not always that simple though. The top universities usually give the same offer for particular subjects so you end up having to insure pretty mediocre universities that really aren't worth the tuition. I also didn't use any A*AA firm choices (not that there were many for the subject anyway) because I didn't realize that I would destroy the ISAs (our school does them pretty late). Oh well.

Then just insure nothing. Or is that not possible if you have at least 2 offers?
Original post by LRJ
All of mine are apparently 'Postgraduate Masters Diploma's, do yours say this too? I didn't phone up, just assuming it was another one of UCAS's errors :redface:

My firm says exactly that!!! I still don't know what it means! It IS an error though, caused by the change to the new Track system. I rang UCAS and they were stumped. Rang my uni and they were equally confused. They said they would get back to me after they had investigated it, and they did. They said it is just a mistake and it shouldn't cause any issues, but they told me it would be corrected. Perhaps give your uni a ring just to be sure?

Original post by harsh.boy365
Hi, i hope you don't mind me asking what course are you applying for? :wink:

MSci Marine Biology :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chignesh10
Yes chemistry buddy!

It is the best subject! :wink:

Surely in that case you should just put down two with the same requirement and hope one of them lets you in if you miss it. Surely even that slim chance is better than having a university you have no intention of going to as your insurance?
Original post by sneha.vag
I have been wondering the same time. When I tweeted my firm choice they simply told me to call them on their main contact time so I guess you can try calling them up on that number first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you call them, what exactly are you ment to say?... Just beg them to take you?
Original post by adi19956
If you're worried about track updating, you can get an auto refresh extension for Chrome, you can even get it to make an audible alarm when the page changes. I used it once and it meant that I could leave my laptop on overnight, not worry about having to refresh the browser myself and go to bed. An alarm then goes off when the page changes, so you don't have to set an alarm yourself for 0600 then worry about it updating.

Just a small tip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I've downloaded Refresh Monkey and Auto Refresh Plus, but I can't work out how to set either of them up to alert me when track will change. Please could you explain what I have to do? Thank you :smile:
Just logged onto UCAS Track to find the 'limited functions/processing results' box...the countdown officially begins now.
Reply 1591
Original post by PythianLegume
Then just insure nothing. Or is that not possible if you have at least 2 offers?

You can decline all 5 if you want, you definitely don't need to put an insurance down.

In my case I put an insurance higher than my firm, because my firm is AAA but I already have an A*, meaning that the A*AA insurance is exactly the same offer. It's just to increase the chance of one of them taking me anyway if I narrowly miss my offer.
Reply 1592
Original post by King Hotpie
Surely in that case you should just put down two with the same requirement and hope one of them lets you in if you miss it. Surely even that slim chance is better than having a university you have no intention of going to as your insurance?

That's what I did :biggrin:
Original post by miss.ce.0x
Just logged onto UCAS Track to find the 'limited functions/processing results' box...the countdown officially begins now.

It's like Christmas Eve, only terrifying. :sick:
Original post by annemariemoore
It's like Christmas Eve, only terrifying. :sick:

I know :frown: I'm still waiting for my insurance to get back to me on whether they will allow me to change courses.

oh crap. I didn't realize the top unis actually considered that sort of stuff. I assumed all of the places would just be eaten up so there was no way you'd get lucky. This is what happens when you don't do much research. oops.
Reply 1596
I'm terrified for results day. I just hope that Dundee is feeling especially lenient this year :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh crap. I didn't realize the top unis actually considered that sort of stuff. I assumed all of the places would just be eaten up so there was no way you'd get lucky. This is what happens when you don't do much research. oops.

:sadnod: It might not be likely, but there's always a chance. When I went to the Cambridge open day even they had someone there with an A*AA offer who'd been let in with A*AB
Original post by Kat12395
It is the best subject! :wink:

Where are you going uni
:sadnod: It might not be likely, but there's always a chance. When I went to the Cambridge open day even they had someone there with an A*AA offer who'd been let in with A*AB

Lucky sod.

Latest