The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8720
Original post by danny111
Am now, it looks rather intriguing.

Just saw the trailer, and I usually enjoy coming of age films anyway, but this one looks hilarious. The Biaggio character also looks like he can be that special extra that makes a movie great.

I am so damn excited for it, it looks hilarious. You've got good taste in films my friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

What's your favourite genre?

:hello:

Ah well probably action! My top 3 are well action, comedy then horror/thriller. Although I am a sucker for musicals haha mainly the older ones though.
I watch anything tbh...as long as its good lol but I stay away from romantic dramas- not my thing at all :biggrin:
Wbu???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8722
Original post by al0
Anyone looking forward to seeing The Kings of The Summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought it looked a bit forced/average from the trailer myself, but we shall see, I suppose. :holmes:

Original post by lucine.B

Ah well probably action! My top 3 are well action, comedy then horror/thriller. Although I am a sucker for musicals haha mainly the older ones though.
I watch anything tbh...as long as its good lol but I stay away from romantic dramas- not my thing at all :biggrin:
Wbu???

Any films that you like in particular? :h:

Wbu???

Hm, I have become a bit disallusioned with action films of late. They concentrate so much on CGI and forget everything else. The latest Die Hard wanted to make me die.
Original post by Abiraleft
Thought it looked a bit forced/average from the trailer myself, but we shall see, I suppose. :holmes:

Hmm of which genre??? bare in mind that i am really indecisive esp. when it comes to choosing favourites so I may end up bombarding you with a whole list :biggrin:

Hm, I have become a bit disallusioned with action films of late. They concentrate so much on CGI and forget everything else. The latest Die Hard wanted to make me die.

I know what you mean. Nowadays I concentrate much more on the story line...although not so sure they're any better either haha.
I enjoyed Die hard to an extent it didn't have the same essence as the previous ones again with all the CGI. I kind of liked the story line though and the acting in itself was good. :smile:
Have you watched any others lately???
Hmm of which genre??? bare in mind that i am really indecisive esp. when it comes to choosing favourites so I may end up bombarding you with a whole list :biggrin:

I know what you mean. Nowadays I concentrate much more on the story line...although not so sure they're any better either haha.
I enjoyed Die hard to an extent it didn't have the same essence as the previous ones again with all the CGI. I kind of liked the story line though and the acting in itself was good. :smile:
Have you watched any others lately???

Parker. Wasn't as good as previous Statham films, although I still enjoyed it and thought it was better than the reviews it got.

I am very much looking forward to Red 2 though.
Reply 8726

Haha, don't worry about it, I'm exactly the same! :p: I was just looking to see what sort of films in general you like, though. :yep: I don't know very many action films, or very many action films that I'd be particularly excited about watching. :o:
Parker. Wasn't as good as previous Statham films, although I still enjoyed it and thought it was better than the reviews it got.

I am very much looking forward to Red 2 though.

I agree, I enjoyed it but it didn't get the best reviews which is a shame. Statham is amazing though, he could pull anything off...i think lol. What do you think of the series of action movies that came about at the start of the year??? E.g Bullet to the head, the last stand etc.

OMG Same here! Cannot wait literally biting my nails for it (I hope my high expectations are met, but i'm sure they will be. the reviews have been pretty good) :smile:

I know these aren't action but can't wait to see Wolverine and Now you see me!!!

Haha, don't worry about it, I'm exactly the same! :p: I was just looking to see what sort of films in general you like, though. :yep: I don't know very many action films, or very many action films that I'd be particularly excited about watching. :o:

Hahaha awesome! Someone like me lol. Ah well i like a lot i can give tell you some if you'd like??? If i gave you the entire list you'd be reading it to your grave :biggrin:
They're a mixture of genres haha. Ah well have you watched any??? What kind of movies do you like then???
Reply 8728

You have to see the UK trailer, the American one doesn't do it justice. Saying that, I haven't actually seen TKotS yet so I can't judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to see Only God Forgives last night.

Really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but it's certainly a fine piece of work. I love the long, langorous takes and RG certainly has a strong screen presence (despite having hardly any lines). KST is a fantastic as ever and it's great to see her cast in such a different role. The soundtrack was very Lynchian, I thought, weird industrial/mechanical rumblings and loudness. And the organ during the main fight scene was superb.

Not a movie for everyone admittedly (hence the low Rotten Tomatoes score), but if you like your cinema intense and visual (or if, like me, you are a fan of Tarkovsky or Lynch) you'll love it.
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Went to see Only God Forgives last night.

Really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but it's certainly a fine piece of work. I love the long, langorous takes and RG certainly has a strong screen presence (despite having hardly any lines). KST is a fantastic as ever and it's great to see her cast in such a different role. The soundtrack was very Lynchian, I thought, weird industrial/mechanical rumblings and loudness. And the organ during the main fight scene was superb.

Not a movie for everyone admittedly (hence the low Rotten Tomatoes score), but if you like your cinema intense and visual (or if, like me, you are a fan of Tarkovsky or Lynch) you'll love it.

Really enjoyed OGF too. One of the most beautiful films; the cinematography, the lighting, soundtrack, sets etc.

I thought that KST's line delivery was a bit off at times, but for most of it she was solid.

I think people were expecting a very different film, hence the low ratings.

Have you seen any of Refn's other films?
Saw Julie & Julia last night, really not as good as I thought it would be. I saw the trailer and thought it would be a bit of light-hearted fun, but I don't know, didn't find it that appealing. Saying that, Meryl Streep was of course fantastic.
Original post by andyt8765

Have you seen any of Refn's other films?

yes. Drive, Bronson, FearX but i want to check out his others now

(just wish I knew how to pronounce the guy's name!)
(edited 10 years ago)

Drive and Bronson are great, but I haven't seen Fear X. I'd like to watch the Pusher Trilogy.

I think it's Wind-(as in 'he passed wind')-ing Ref-en.
Reply 8734
Original post by andyt8765
Drive and Bronson are great, but I haven't seen Fear X. I'd like to watch the Pusher Trilogy.

I think it's Wind-(as in 'he passed wind')-ing Ref-en.

Wait, nobody has saw 'Valhalla Rising'? It's absolutely stunning whilst being extremely moody and brutal, I'd recommend it if you liked OGF. I mean it's worth watching alone for the Mads Mikkelson performance.

The Pusher trilogy is also very good, a criminally underrated set of films. I'd stay away from Fear X though, Refn acknowledges himself the film was a failure on almost every level.
Original post by mau5
Wait, nobody has saw 'Valhalla Rising'? It's absolutely stunning whilst being extremely moody and brutal, I'd recommend it if you liked OGF. I mean it's worth watching alone for the Mads Mikkelson performance.

Sorry, yes. I have seen Valhalla Rising. Interesting film. Reminded me of Werner Herzog's work in its tone (particularly Nosferatu : Phantom der Nacht). Mads Mikkelsen is a remarkable actor. The only thing that spoilt it for me was the ridiculously over-produced sound effects of sqelching of flesh and ker-chinging of sword blades. Why does every movie now have to produce absurd metallic chinging or clanging whenever a sword is drawn?! Even when it's come out of a leather scabbard!! You'd never get that in real life - ok, we can see it's a sword, you don't need that!

(sorry, got a bit carried away there...)
Original post by mau5

The Pusher trilogy is also very good, a criminally underrated set of films. I'd stay away from Fear X though, Refn acknowledges himself the film was a failure on almost every level.

Valhalla Rising is on my watchlist actually, I'll be sure to watch it. Cheers. :biggrin:
Reply 8737
Has anyone seen Martha Marcy May Marlene? It's 100% my favourite film by fairly new director Sean Durkin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by al0
Has anyone seen Martha Marcy May Marlene? It's 100% my favourite film by fairly new director Sean Durkin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, a superb piece of work.
Original post by al0

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but just checked it out, will defo watch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending