The Student Room Group

**A2 Classical Civilisation**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aamna01
yep i have on on Friday the 14th and one of the 20th.. and then im free can not wait wbu?

Ahh good luck :smile: what are they in? I finished on Friday with German and Classics :smile: only been off a few days and already itching to know what I got, over a 2 month wait ahead :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vanessadixit
You just made me realise how much I missed out in the Iliad... The xenia point is very good, and important too and I hadn't thought of it! Gaah.

Conclusively if the idea of Hektor and his helmet with his son was mentioned, then I think the examiners are going to like it. I feel like such an idiot after spending 2/3 of the essay talking about what the shields mean and their effect on the plot grhhh!!!.
Original post by propagation
Conclusively if the idea of Hektor and his helmet with his son was mentioned, then I think the examiners are going to like it. I feel like such an idiot after spending 2/3 of the essay talking about what the shields mean and their effect on the plot grhhh!!!.

I didn't even do that. And I did that... what else would you have written?

So screwed now.
I didn't even do that. And I did that... what else would you have written?

So screwed now.

For A on heroism:
I did: Virgil-suffering:
-Nisus and Euryalus (tragic death)
-Pallas and Aeneas he is supposed to be looking out for him.
-1 of 9 brothers killed by the augur of the latins.
-Turnus and his sister

-Glory:
-way he decribes the shield
e.g. Star which is his uncle (JC) who suggests that he Octavian is the rightful Heir.
Whole use of the gods- the gods favour him and support him
The idea he is described as a fire (something like that) idea he is a beacon like seen with Achilleus when the Agis is put over him. Then I went on about the neccessity of Fire- Idea it's link to Vulcan who made the shield's as he is the god of fire. Idea fire is needed for survival ward of beasts and cook food and keep you warm.

-Iliad:
Said how it's about heriosm
idea of how hektor cares about himself and follows herioic code and goes against his family's wishes
idea of when people die it's glorified there name is given here death is made herioic.
Idea of the significance of Glory: Fight--->Kudos----->Kleos (Cycle) this is removed from Hektor and so he fights for nothing as we see throughout the epic.
Can't remember what else I said here possibly nothing much.

B on Armour:

Shield of Aeneas:

-Idea that actium is central image (propaganda)
-Successes of Rome Gaul, Carthage this would have gave the Audience a strong sense of pride.
-Idea of the two creation myths on the shield incorproated in the Epic elsewhere.

Shield Of Achilleus:
-Farming- Idea they were farmers (Can be used as a source of evidence for bronze age greeks)
-Vines of Grapes-Idea it's not neccessary to survival it's a wealth thing, Idea there is royalty and wealth in society.
-War-idea always war
-Murder in the city which is at peace suggest's humans are never far away from violence.

Then I linked this to the idea of Achilleus Geras has been taken away and so he has lost his Kudos and therefore lost his Kleos and so only fights for nothing. This idea hephiastos gave it to him suggests the idea that Achilleus is no longer part of society as he does not eat, drink or have sex which attributes of someone alive, and acts as a shade. This idea he carries it is the idea that later on in the book he will reenter the world which he belongs to when he meets priam. I also linked stuff here about the idea of cycle of fate in the universe and the fact he is carrying his fate, he will now die as he plans to fight Hektor. The idea that everyone on the shield is goverened by fate and has become what fate has destined them to be (farmer, a fighter, a murderor ect....)

Then I said about Spear with Hektor and Achilleus. Hektor hopes that Deiphobius will give him a spear after he launches his spear at Achilleus and then he realises he has been fooled by the gods. Athena retrieves Achilleus spear and gives it back to him which leads to hektors death.

Then when Aeneas is chasing Turnus around the City after his sword is shattered. Turnus prays to the local gods to prevent Aeneas pulling out his spear, but venus comes and helps him and igves him his spear which kills Turnus. Then I also added the thing about Turnus's sword shattering.

I added the idea that Aeneas' spear is described as seige artillery which is a roman idea.

Then I said about Xeneia between Glaukos and Diomedes (idea that it's an oath which seals the deal-Exchange of armour)

4. Then I did family.

Did stuff about Hektor and how his parents supplicate him.....

I forgot the Idea of Turnus supplicating Aeneas so he can see his farther again which I am annoyed about :frown:
For A on heroism:
I did: Virgil-suffering:
-Nisus and Euryalus (tragic death)
-Pallas and Aeneas he is supposed to be looking out for him.
-1 of 9 brothers killed by the augur of the latins.
-Turnus and his sister

-Glory:
-way he decribes the shield
e.g. Star which is his uncle (JC) who suggests that he Octavian is the rightful Heir.
Whole use of the gods- the gods favour him and support him
The idea he is described as a fire (something like that) idea he is a beacon like seen with Achilleus when the Agis is put over him. Then I went on about the neccessity of Fire- Idea it's link to Vulcan who made the shield's as he is the god of fire. Idea fire is needed for survival ward of beasts and cook food and keep you warm.

-Iliad:
Said how it's about heriosm
idea of how hektor cares about himself and follows herioic code and goes against his family's wishes
idea of when people die it's glorified there name is given here death is made herioic.
Idea of the significance of Glory: Fight--->Kudos----->Kleos (Cycle) this is removed from Hektor and so he fights for nothing as we see throughout the epic.
Can't remember what else I said here possibly nothing much.

B on Armour:

Shield of Aeneas:

-Idea that actium is central image (propaganda)
-Successes of Rome Gaul, Carthage this would have gave the Audience a strong sense of pride.
-Idea of the two creation myths on the shield incorproated in the Epic elsewhere.

Shield Of Achilleus:
-Farming- Idea they were farmers (Can be used as a source of evidence for bronze age greeks)
-Vines of Grapes-Idea it's not neccessary to survival it's a wealth thing, Idea there is royalty and wealth in society.
-War-idea always war
-Murder in the city which is at peace suggest's humans are never far away from violence.

Then I linked this to the idea of Achilleus Geras has been taken away and so he has lost his Kudos and therefore lost his Kleos and so only fights for nothing. This idea hephiastos gave it to him suggests the idea that Achilleus is no longer part of society as he does not eat, drink or have sex which attributes of someone alive, and acts as a shade. This idea he carries it is the idea that later on in the book he will reenter the world which he belongs to when he meets priam. I also linked stuff here about the idea of cycle of fate in the universe and the fact he is carrying his fate, he will now die as he plans to fight Hektor. The idea that everyone on the shield is goverened by fate and has become what fate has destined them to be (farmer, a fighter, a murderor ect....)

Then I said about Spear with Hektor and Achilleus. Hektor hopes that Deiphobius will give him a spear after he launches his spear at Achilleus and then he realises he has been fooled by the gods. Athena retrieves Achilleus spear and gives it back to him which leads to hektors death.

Then when Aeneas is chasing Turnus around the City after his sword is shattered. Turnus prays to the local gods to prevent Aeneas pulling out his spear, but venus comes and helps him and igves him his spear which kills Turnus. Then I also added the thing about Turnus's sword shattering.

I added the idea that Aeneas' spear is described as seige artillery which is a roman idea.

Then I said about Xeneia between Glaukos and Diomedes (idea that it's an oath which seals the deal-Exchange of armour)

4. Then I did family.

Did stuff about Hektor and how his parents supplicate him.....

I forgot the Idea of Turnus supplicating Aeneas so he can see his farther again which I am annoyed about :frown:

Well you couldn't possibly have written everything there is to say. It sounds like you've got lots of examples. Thanks for the thorough post - I think we just took a different approach to the question. :smile:
Well you couldn't possibly have written everything there is to say. It sounds like you've got lots of examples. Thanks for the thorough post - I think we just took a different approach to the question. :smile:

Hopefully the examiners appreciate both our answers, I am just unsure whether I answered the question properly especially for the shield as I went over the top with that.
Reply 346
I did the same as you, however think I coked up the question about the weapons and stuff as I spent ages describing the significance of the images of each of the shields, as it said use this as a starting point. I managed to get a few things in about other significant things with weapons and stuff e.g. Glaukos and Diomedes and Xenia-exchange of armour (idea of gold fro bronze), use of the gods Athena fools hektor as deiphobus and gives Achilleus his spear which kills Hektor and compared this to book 12 of Aeneid. When Turnus prays to the gods of the land to prevent Aeneas taking the spear out and his mum (venus) comes and helps him and that spear is used to kill Turnus. Whole idea of the shattering of the sword. However forgot to go on about the armour's being divine, Hektor with Astuanax when he scares him and the imagery and characterisation of the weapons. Like in the Aeneid the weapons like a spear flying through the air is described as seige artillery which is only relavant then and not in the Bronze age with the Greeks. :frown:.

I did family aswell. Mostly around Hektor and his family and a bit on farther son relationships and Nisus and Euryalus and Amata and Turnus act as a family.

wow what you wrote sounds really good. Makes all the things I put sound super generic. I don't think I put anything you did. For the weaponry one I analysed the use of Aeneas and Achilles' shields, then went back to the Iliad passage and said he contrasts the pastoral scene with a 'bronzed tipped spear' showing how weapons are destructive and ruin peace, or 'pastoral perfection' blah blah blah. Then about Paris having a 'curved bow' and Hektor having a 16ft cubic spear but that dooms him as it is a Greek method of fighting. How Hektor assumes Achilles' armour and become the type of hero he never wanted to be and was thus doomed. All that kind of crap.

For the family question I only wrote a small bit on patriarchal society, citing actual father/son relationships and then those of Aeneas and Pallas and Achilles and Patroklos - echoing the relationship of Augustus and Caesar. For the rest of it I wrote about women and the lex Julia and thus how women in the Aeneid are more for political gain and contrasted this with the domesticity of the Trojan women. Andromache as normal society and Helen as chaos. The domestic scene of the sack of Troy. All that generic kinda stuff
Original post by vm7169
wow what you wrote sounds really good. Makes all the things I put sound super generic. I don't think I put anything you did. For the weaponry one I analysed the use of Aeneas and Achilles' shields, then went back to the Iliad passage and said he contrasts the pastoral scene with a 'bronzed tipped spear' showing how weapons are destructive and ruin peace, or 'pastoral perfection' blah blah blah. Then about Paris having a 'curved bow' and Hektor having a 16ft cubic spear but that dooms him as it is a Greek method of fighting. How Hektor assumes Achilles' armour and become the type of hero he never wanted to be and was thus doomed. All that kind of crap.

For the family question I only wrote a small bit on patriarchal society, citing actual father/son relationships and then those of Aeneas and Pallas and Achilles and Patroklos - echoing the relationship of Augustus and Caesar. For the rest of it I wrote about women and the lex Julia and thus how women in the Aeneid are more for political gain and contrasted this with the domesticity of the Trojan women. Andromache as normal society and Helen as chaos. The domestic scene of the sack of Troy. All that generic kinda stuff

What you put for the family thing sounds 100* better than what I put down. I completely forgot about the synoptic stuff though then again I was in a rush as I only had 30 minutes to do the essay. If I had more time probably would have done some stuff on the propaganda and link between Augustus and Marcellus. Also for synoptic would have included the whole Idea with Teucer, Aias and Teukron. The idea that you have to be better than you farther in war, also ties in with the honour question. I must have been asleep that day as I have forgotten some essential things :frown:
Reply 348
Hey did anybody do the A2 Classics exam on art and architecture last Wednesday? If so, what did people write for it? :O
Reply 349
Original post by hannah_lou
Ahh good luck :smile: what are they in? I finished on Friday with German and Classics :smile: only been off a few days and already itching to know what I got, over a 2 month wait ahead :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

RS and Business :/ thank u :smile: lucky u... haha iv not even finished my exams and want to know how iv done in the exams i have done :/ lol.. hopefully the wait will be worth it :smile:
Original post by Aamna01
RS and Business :/ thank u :smile: lucky u... haha iv not even finished my exams and want to know how iv done in the exams i have done :/ lol.. hopefully the wait will be worth it :smile:

Ahh hope they go well :smile: it's an agonising wait, but yeah fingers crossed eh :smile:
Reply 351
Ahh hope they go well :smile: it's an agonising wait, but yeah fingers crossed eh :smile:

thanks.. hopefully :smile: yep :smile:
Reply 352
We're getting a results in less than a week :biggrin:
Original post by EmperorA
We're getting a results in less than a week :biggrin:

At last! What do you need in Classics? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 354

Posted from TSR
an A* cos i got that in my mox but an A is what i need, what do you need?
So nervous! Hoping for an A in classics but would be happy with a B as that's what I need for uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="EmperorA;43877867"]

Posted from TSR
an A* cos i got that in my mox but an A is what i need, what do you need?

Good luck then :smile: same as you, got A*'s in the mocks and need an A for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Charlotte.e.r
So nervous! Hoping for an A in classics but would be happy with a B as that's what I need for uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed! Best of luck to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 358
Thankyou and best of luck to you, hope you get the A charlotte and i hope we get the A* Hannah
Original post by EmperorA
Thankyou and best of luck to you, hope you get the A charlotte and i hope we get the A* Hannah

I hope so, make sure to post here on results day what you got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending