The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ani97
Has anyone done any preparation work for A levels? I want to but I have spent a whole month on summer homework because I have lost the will to study for hours on end :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sixth form gave us sheets to complete before we go back to 'bridge the gap' between GCSE and AS level so, yes, I've done some, but I don't really have much choice :P
I would say that it is helping me to research key words for biology and look at the case studies for psychology, at least. Obviously there will be a lot more to learn but it's making me feel the tiniest bit less nervous for September haha.
If you want to do a bit of preparation I'd say go for it, even if to just put your mind at rest. You don't have to do tonnes of work like you're revising for exams; I've done a bit every 2 or 3 days when I don't have much else to do and I don't feel pressured to go on for hours or anything, and I'm over halfway through these sheets. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2201
I remember the feeling of collecting my GCSE results guys. Now I am going to be collecting my A level grades in a few days, GCSE ones feel so much less daunting.. but still, it is quite a nervous time .. I got 7 A*'s and 2 A's.. just opening it to see that was pretty good feeling.. any hopeful medics.. 6+ A*'s should be enough for most universities :smile: good luck! still a while for you guys though.
Original post by Lehal
I remember the feeling of collecting my GCSE results guys. Now I am going to be collecting my A level grades in a few days, GCSE ones feel so much less daunting.. but still, it is quite a nervous time .. I got 7 A*'s and 2 A's.. just opening it to see that was pretty good feeling.. any hopeful medics.. 6+ A*'s should be enough for most universities :smile: good luck! still a while for you guys though.

Just a quick question - I'm probably going to get 5-7 A*s, but I'm likely to get a C or maybe a D in DT. Does that severely harm my chances of medical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2203
Original post by Ani97
Has anyone done any preparation work for A levels? I want to but I have spent a whole month on summer homework because I have lost the will to study for hours on end :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apart from reading The Great Gatsby for English I've done nothing- this could be the last time I'm off without having to worry about money/moving out for years so I'm taking a break. Besides from that I'm doing subjects that aren't too content heavy, so I'll just have a look at some GCSE Spanish vocab to make sure I know the basics after results day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ani97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been doing some Physics Unit 3/AS because I did Double Science and AS is quite mad there seems to be loads of language to learn(Intermediate Vector Bosons and that).I've already done a lot of AS Maths work and some A2 Maths work too in Year 11 aswell as in last years summer holidays and I've done IGCSE Further Maths so I haven't done much Maths over the holiday.What Summer Homework did you get?-who could be cruel enough to give you homework over the summer holidays?I have heard from the college that there will be lots of homework(3 hours per subject quoted), when I get back to College so it seems unfair to get Summer Homework.I hardly ever got homework in Year 10'/11, about an hour a week often less closer to exams so we could revise.
Original post by Basket case
I'm not in it either:3 I'm special too;3 I wanna do a A-levels in photography,media,sociology and psychology.
I either want to be something in media or a socail worker:3-undecided thats why I took half for each so my options aren't limited:smile:x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoop whoop I didn't know there was an A-level in photography that sounds really cool :biggrin:
Original post by Huffleclaw2416
Whoop whoop I didn't know there was an A-level in photography that sounds really cool :biggrin:

just in reference to your username .......... I'm 100% a Ravenclaw :biggrin: ... just for Luna :wink:
Reply 2207
Original post by techno836
just in reference to your username .......... I'm 100% a Ravenclaw :biggrin: ... just for Luna :wink:

Luna? What? You crazy? :colondollar:
Original post by Taci

haha yes, yes I am :biggrin: that and I've done them tests and I got ravenclaw on like 4 of them :lol:
Reply 2209
Original post by Dalek1099
I've been doing some Physics Unit 3/AS because I did Double Science and AS is quite mad there seems to be loads of language to learn(Intermediate Vector Bosons and that).I've already done a lot of AS Maths work and some A2 Maths work too in Year 11 aswell as in last years summer holidays and I've done IGCSE Further Maths so I haven't done much Maths over the holiday.What Summer Homework did you get?-who could be cruel enough to give you homework over the summer holidays?I have heard from the college that there will be lots of homework(3 hours per subject quoted), when I get back to College so it seems unfair to get Summer Homework.I hardly ever got homework in Year 10'/11, about an hour a week often less closer to exams so we could revise.

I got 2 lots of hw since I have applied to 2 sixth forms and am unsure which one I will get into. I got hw in each subject I am taking (math biology chemistry and history) , but it is all just recap of GCSE work we have done like algebra and bonding. Hopefully it will be finished by Sunday so I can do some proper a level work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Taci

Crazy ? no you're just as sane as i am :tongue:
Reply 2211

Ha! I'm a harry fan myself- GO GRYFFINDOR! :smile:
Original post by Taci

Yous both don't have gender Tags :lol: so this could be rather weird ;D
Original post by Taci

YAY !!! so far we have a ravenclaw a hufflepuff a gryffindor are there any slytherins out there ?
Reply 2214

I probably shouldn't specify my gender as that would be weird looking back at the sentence! But I'm a man! Not that I meant it in that sense! :smile: And Luna? What happened to Ginny?

haha yeah it could, i'm a lad btw
Original post by Taci
I probably shouldn't specify my gender as that would be weird looking back at the sentence! But I'm a man! Not that I meant it in that sense! :smile: And Luna? What happened to Ginny?

haha yeah it could, i'm a lad btw

we're all lads here then :lol: ... IN order i'd go.. Luna Hermione Ginny

Probably because of how I pictured Luna in the Books :lol: then in the percy Jackson series (if anybody has read or watched them) I pictured annabeth to be th actress who played luna .... Yeah i'm crazy :wink:
Reply 2217
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Just a quick question - I'm probably going to get 5-7 A*s, but I'm likely to get a C or maybe a D in DT. Does that severely harm my chances of medical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi.
This should be no hindrance to your medical application. They should accept the fact you do many gcse's and DT is not a core subject. Many universities just look at how many of the A*s you have achieved anyway or % A*'s, (so DT will be included). However, GCSE's is definitely not the make or break point.. AS scores and UKCAT, (you will become a lot familiar with next summer) are used a lot more. However, having said that.. it really does depend on the university you go for.. for example, Birmingham want a minimum of 8 A*'s.. so, you may not be able to apply there.
YAY !!! so far we have a ravenclaw a hufflepuff a gryffindor are there any slytherins out there ?

Well I haven't really written in this thread so far and I don't know anybody but hey *raises hand* I'm a Slytherin :biggrin:
we're all lads here then :lol: ... IN order i'd go.. Luna Hermione Ginny

Probably because of how I pictured Luna in the Books :lol: then in the percy Jackson series (if anybody has read or watched them) I pictured annabeth to be th actress who played luna .... Yeah i'm crazy :wink:

actually yeah I agree with that :biggrin:

Latest