Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kat12395
Loughborough, hopefully! And you?:')

nice! imperial hopefully :tongue:
Anyone applying to Leicester 2014?

Why this gives me a neg oh I will never understand
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kingdoo
I think that they will take people who have been interviewed but have been rejected if they exceed their expected grades when someone else who had gotten in got lower grades.:biggrin:

But I am not entirely sure. I know in the past Cambridge went into clearing for lesser subjects like teaching/education.

Although they normally take more people than they can so the places are full even if people don't get the required grades

Oxford and Cambridge do not participate in adjustment and clearing.
Until about 2003 Cam had education courses regularly in clearing, but do not expect it to happen again.
Cambridge do have a 'summer pool', but this is only for people who already had an offer originally.
Original post by hello calum
I've downloaded Refresh Monkey and Auto Refresh Plus, but I can't work out how to set either of them up to alert me when track will change. Please could you explain what I have to do? Thank you :smile:

http://www.aaii.com/computerized-investing/article/auto-refresh.mobile

This link cleared up Refresh Monkey for me :smile:
Original post by when she was 22
Is anyone else a bit overly excited to start uni shopping? :redface: I bought some cute patterned bowls to take with me on a whim today cos they were in the sale and it got me all excited! I'm so excited to get all the rest of my stuff now. Even boring stuff like towels. I was looking at the towels and genuinely feeling excited.

LOL sad but cute. I feel the same way.
Lets hope we all get in :tongue:
But i'll probably end up taking extra kitchen stuff we have at home. All i'll buy is new clothes :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emma2013
Oxford and Cambridge do not participate in adjustment and clearing.
Until about 2003 Cam had education courses regularly in clearing, but do not expect it to happen again.
Cambridge do have a 'summer pool', but this is only for people who already had an offer originally.

Oh coo:biggrin:l may have got mixed up I thought it was people who were interviewed and didn't get in but got better results but maybe it is as a summer pool now got the facts. maybe I miss read or understood.
:rolleyes:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm going to say 4 of all eating things will be enough with 3 pans and 2 frying pans too?

I've got a set of 4 for all eating things, but will probably only take one large and one small pan, as I think that's probably all I'll need. However I'll probably go crazy with totally random stuff I don't even need... like a waffle maker :ahee:
I'm not sure what comes in the accommodation at all though!
Original post by kingdoo
I think that they will take people who have been interviewed but have been rejected if they exceed their expected grades when someone else who had gotten in got lower grades.:biggrin:

But I am not entirely sure. I know in the past Cambridge went into clearing for lesser subjects like teaching/education.

Although they normally take more people than they can so the places are full even if people don't get the required grades

No, this doesn't happen. For starters, in such a hypothetical situation any of the rejectees who'd got the requisite grades would be confirmed at their firm or insurance. I am not 100% sure of the rules but I dont think universities are allowed to take away other people like that.

Moreover, the vast majority of offer holders for all subjects barring Maths meet or exceed their offer, and so there is never really any need; Cambridge have got the selection down pretty well by now. For Maths it is different as half of the people miss their offer, but a lot more offers are given out in the first place and Cambridge would rather take the people with near misses than those who haven't taken STEP at all so stick to the summer pool.
6 days until results da... Oh wait 138 days until CHRISTMAS :awesome:
Original post by DJMayes
No, this doesn't happen. For starters, in such a hypothetical situation any of the rejectees who'd got the requisite grades would be confirmed at their firm or insurance. I am not 100% sure of the rules but I dont think universities are allowed to take away other people like that.

Moreover, the vast majority of offer holders for all subjects barring Maths meet or exceed their offer, and so there is never really any need; Cambridge have got the selection down pretty well by now. For Maths it is different as half of the people miss their offer, but a lot more offers are given out in the first place and Cambridge would rather take the people with near misses than those who haven't taken STEP at all so stick to the summer pool.

OK cheers:biggrin: I realized I got it wrong I apologized in my previous statement and I told people that I had got the complete wrong end of the stick. SR has helped me understand these things more so yeah. But in part I did get it right that in the past they took people in lesser subjects such as education but obviously now they don't do that.:wink:
Original post by awkwardusername
Hahahaha I'm clever, I'll admit that, but I never actually do well in exams cause I get REALLY stressy, half the time I start crying before I've even gone in the exam room! :')
English at Manchester, what's yours? :smile:

Biosciences in Reading, guessing they're short on applicants a they've dropped grade requirements to ABC/BBB (instead of ABB)!

Can't believe how close it's getting, I'm more and more convinced I'm not going to make it ;_;
Original post by emma2013
I've got a set of 4 for all eating things, but will probably only take one large and one small pan, as I think that's probably all I'll need. However I'll probably go crazy with totally random stuff I don't even need... like a waffle maker :ahee:
I'm not sure what comes in the accommodation at all though!

Oh very nice! I'll only be taking them as I may want to cook some pasta, chicken and peas and carrots for one night which would mean I'll be able to cook it all at once instead of having to use a saucepan and then clean it afterwards :tongue: Also I think I'll be taking a sandwich maker, slow cooker and a rice maker too :biggrin: I'm also in the same situation but I'm sure they say on the website under each individual place when you applied for accommodation. :tongue:
Reply 1632
Original post by Padouken
What uni? :eek:

Original post by Sketch
I frantically checked my firm uni's website just now to find anything like this..

with no success :cry2:

I am pretty sure most universities operate a policy like this even if you can't find it written anywhere :smile: I got a letter from my firm (Cambridge) saying if I miss my offer to fax/email them my results and then they'll have a think.

Original post by DJMayes

This is quite reassuring :moon:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1633
If you did Edexcel Biology unit 1 and 2, how did you find it? and what do you think the grade boundaries will be for them?
Original post by sneha.vag
Well, you should start off by explaining that you have missed your offer, despite that, however, your offer remains conditional. After this if the staff on the line do not direct you on what to do next, you can ask them to allow you to speak to an admissions tutor. Explain to him/her why they should pick you- a few extra things you may have left out when writing up your PS. Then you can ask when they expect to make a decision. And then you just have to wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, thanks, I may a little something down incase I forget what to say under pressure if it comes to it :frown:
Reply 1635
when are the grade boundaries released?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EatRainbows_x
Ahh, thanks, I may a little something down incase I forget what to say under pressure if it comes to it :frown:

You're welcome. Sounds like a good plan. I was thinking of preparing a script-like kind of word document where I would answer basic questions like why do you want to study at our uni or why do you want to study this particular degree. Do you have any idea about what questions you may be asked during clearing? I know, it can be worrisome but keep positive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sneha.vag
You're welcome. Sounds like a good plan. I was thinking of preparing a script-like kind of word document where I would answer basic questions like why do you want to study at our uni or why do you want to study this particular degree. Do you have any idea about what questions you may be asked during clearing? I know, it can be worrisome but keep positive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, good idea! I will have to do this, it will make me feel more at ease too, if I have to go through clearing. Where have you applied?
Original post by dooobie_
when are the grade boundaries released?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a day before results day, so 14th :smile:
Starting to get that sick feeling :frown: really worried.

Preparing myself to fail.

Latest