The Student Room Group

JP Morgan A-level Insight Day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
If you stayed at the hotel provided to you by rbs, did you leave your suitcase at the hotel on the last day or did you bring it with you?
What time was the start time tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242
How did everyone find the event who has done it, at RBS?

My first day is this Monday, cant wait but also intrigued by how others found it..
Original post by 3DDY
How did everyone find the event who has done it, at RBS?

My first day is this Monday, cant wait but also intrigued by how others found it..

Personally, I thought it was one of the better insight programmes I've been to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 244
Original post by will2348
Personally, I thought it was one of the better insight programmes I've been to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have received the schedule but in your own words, what did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kieronspitter
I have received the schedule but in your own words, what did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is literally what it says in the schedule. From memory, we got there (ridiculously difficult to find for me anyway). They come greet you, you sit in some room, they talk about RBS briefly. Some women comes in about how to build your own brand and sell yourself. You have a lunch which is basically just sandwiches but you can go out to McDonald's with some people like I did if you like, haha. Then some guy from AMT just comes to talk to you about how both retail and investment banks work and how each make money, and the different divisions and what they do etc. was honestly very good I thought. You have various people from various places come in marketing themselves about stuff you can do with them at uni to enhance your CV including the RBS Indian Summer thing which looked good. Then you do some work shadowing with two rotations but I did both of mine in Corporate Advisory. You will be placed where you don't want to be so make sure you ask when you get there if you can be put to a specific area. Then you have a mega short networking session with each other and they provide some food.

On the second day, you get there half asleep and a graduate came to talk to us about the economy, specifically the Eurozone and then played a cool game with us to do with negotiational skills. I think they might get a different grad to do this each time so might be different for you. Then they have a panel of people from various areas and HR fire questions at them and then you get a chance to network with them in the following break. The Bank you Build challenge is quite fun really. You all get given iPads with tasks on you have to complete in teams, it's sort of suppose to reflect working in the different divisions but yeah, you'll see what I mean when you get to it, haha. Then lunch again. Then they split you into two groups, one does a group discussion AC activity and the other does a Situational Judgement Test (IT failed for us though) and then you have a little chat about feedback and just anything really and get the hell out of there, haha :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 246
It is literally what it says in the schedule. From memory, we got there (ridiculously difficult to find for me anyway). They come greet you, you sit in some room, they talk about RBS briefly. Some women comes in about how to build your own brand and sell yourself. You have a lunch which is basically just sandwiches but you can go out to McDonald's with some people like I did if you like, haha. Then some guy from AMT just comes to talk to you about how both retail and investment banks work and how each make money, and the different divisions and what they do etc. was honestly very good I thought. You have various people from various places come in marketing themselves about stuff you can do with them at uni to enhance your CV including the RBS Indian Summer thing which looked good. Then you do some work shadowing with two rotations but I did both of mine in Corporate Advisory. You will be placed where you don't want to be so make sure you ask when you get there if you can be put to a specific area. Then you have a mega short networking session with each other and they provide some food.

On the second day, you get there half asleep and a graduate came to talk to us about the economy, specifically the Eurozone and then played a cool game with us to do with negotiational skills. I think they might get a different grad to do this each time so might be different for you. Then they have a panel of people from various areas and HR fire questions at them and then you get a chance to network with them in the following break. The Bank you Build challenge is quite fun really. You all get given iPads with tasks on you have to complete in teams, it's sort of suppose to reflect working in the different divisions but yeah, you'll see what I mean when you get to it, haha. Then lunch again. Then they split you into two groups, one does a group discussion AC activity and the other does a Situational Judgement Test (IT failed for us though) and then you have a little chat about feedback and just anything really and get the hell out of there, haha :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats great, thanks for the detailed response :smile:

Lastly, do you have any tips for making the most out of it, from your experience? My ultimate goal would be to secure a spring week placement :tongue:
Original post by 3DDY
Thats great, thanks for the detailed response :smile:

Lastly, do you have any tips for making the most out of it, from your experience? My ultimate goal would be to secure a spring week placement :tongue:

Just try speak to everyone and network. Don't just stick to people you know (I have a bad habit of this) and get to know some new people. Ask lots of questions especially when work shadowing so you understand what the hell is going on but if they have to send an urgent email then read something they give you. Get on with recruitment, they are really nice, even chat about stuff non-banking related but obviously ask lots of banking questions too :smile:. The best thing is just to get on with everyone and seem really interested and also take down some contact details.
Reply 248
Just try speak to everyone and network. Don't just stick to people you know (I have a bad habit of this) and get to know some new people. Ask lots of questions especially when work shadowing so you understand what the hell is going on but if they have to send an urgent email then read something they give you. Get on with recruitment, they are really nice, even chat about stuff non-banking related but obviously ask lots of banking questions too :smile:. The best thing is just to get on with everyone and seem really interested and also take down some contact details.

Good stuff, ill do my best, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 249
Original post by bob1002
If you stayed at the hotel provided to you by rbs, did you leave your suitcase at the hotel on the last day or did you bring it with you?

Original post by AJW 12394
What time was the start time tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you guys get to do the test?
Original post by TPJY
did you guys get to do the test?

Yeah, in the end. We did it on iPads, and to get to the test you have to apply for a spring week. After everyone'd filled in the application for a markets spring week they realised it wouldn't send unless you uploaded a document (CV/Cover letter) in word or pdf form, which you obv couldn't do on the iPad. So then we all had to fill out the application for the corporate banking spring week instead, which didn't need any documents... and then we did the test

The test was ok, seemed fairly subjective
Reply 251
Original post by AJW 12394
Yeah, in the end. We did it on iPads, and to get to the test you have to apply for a spring week. After everyone'd filled in the application for a markets spring week they realised it wouldn't send unless you uploaded a document (CV/Cover letter) in word or pdf form, which you obv couldn't do on the iPad. So then we all had to fill out the application for the corporate banking spring week instead, which didn't need any documents... and then we did the test

The test was ok, seemed fairly subjective

mmm okay that's cool thanks :smile: it was broken when we did it so hopefully now it's okay they'll send us the link!
Original post by TPJY
mmm okay that's cool thanks :smile: it was broken when we did it so hopefully now it's okay they'll send us the link!

i think that if you apply for a spring week it just offers you the test automatically as soon as you send it off, might be worth emailing them :smile:
Reply 253
Has anyone who have done the test heard back yet for their spring week application?
What are they going to do about doing a spring week application on the day if you are taking a gap year? :confused:
Original post by Unsworth
What are they going to do about doing a spring week application on the day if you are taking a gap year? :confused:

I think you still do the test just as practice
Reply 256
Did anyone receive an email stating that the insight day on the 29th has been moved?
Reply 257
Original post by bob1002
Did anyone receive an email stating that the insight day on the 29th has been moved?

Yeah, right by the BoE if I am correct. Have you received the schedule yet for this date?
Reply 258
Original post by JWz
Yeah, right by the BoE if I am correct. Have you received the schedule yet for this date?

No not yet. I think its starting earlier as on the email it says be there between 10-10.15 which is earlier than the 10.30 start they said on the original email
Reply 259
Original post by bob1002
No not yet. I think its starting earlier as on the email it says be there between 10-10.15 which is earlier than the 10.30 start they said on the original email

Yeah, I suppose we'll get it sent soon then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending