The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarkII
We still need a more physical prescence in CDM. I like Van Ginkel but he was being overrun by Madrid's AM. Essien would be good there but of course we don't know how consistent he'll be. We really should have gone for De Rossi as it was rumoured a few weeks ago. But it looks like he's staying now.

Lampard's gotten old so he hasn't got the legs. We definitely miss the extra guile that Deco and Ballack provided. They made sure that Lamps was still able to go up and get his 15+ league goals a season.

Van Ginkel will get better. Tbf if Mata was playing , we would've caused them more problems and we wouldn't have to worry about having to handle real madrid as we'd have imposed our own threat.

After all, Real Madrid played a very offensive central midfield, with Isco, Modric and Ozil all playing. So they were really going all out IMO. I think Di Maria is going to leave with Bale heading to Madrid and that's gonna be scary
Reply 5081
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Lampard's gotten old so he hasn't got the legs. We definitely miss the extra guile that Deco and Ballack provided. They made sure that Lamps was still able to go up and get his 15+ league goals a season.

Van Ginkel will get better. Tbf if Mata was playing , we would've caused them more problems and we wouldn't have to worry about having to handle real madrid as we'd have imposed our own threat.

After all, Real Madrid played a very offensive central midfield, with Isco, Modric and Ozil all playing. So they were really going all out IMO. I think Di Maria is going to leave with Bale heading to Madrid and that's gonna be scary

I think Di Maria will stay there tbh. A big problem with real was their squad depth last season, where if any one of ronaldo or di maria were injured it meant an appearance for callejon or shifting ozil/modric out wide which wasn't ideal. Now this way means that they have enough squad depth for all concerned. I'm just wondering how jese rodriguez and morata will fit in though.
Original post by jam277
Of course I agree with you.
Tbh I think we could do with a striker but I'm happy with what we've got atm.

aye , what would you think about the possiblity of Khedira joining though ? i reckon he would be a good signing but not seen him play that much
Reply 5083
Original post by Fas
aye , what would you think about the possiblity of Khedira joining though ? i reckon he would be a good signing but not seen him play that much

Khedira coming in would require a midfielder who has got great positional awareness and can pass from deep, the closest person to these two characteristics are lampard or van ginkel. With lampard having the better passing and van ginkel having better awareness and energy. Luiz would be the best but I count him as a CB atm.

The way khedira plays is box to box, but his main strength is making runs that create spaces for a DLP(alonso or modric) to pass from deep.

Khedira is unlikely, they sold diarra, essien has come back, I know they also have illaramendi for a DM role but he wouldn't be a direct replacement for khedira. I hope van ginkel gets gametime/doesn't get injured or he could suffer a similar fate to romeu(who hopefully will replace mikel next season)
(edited 10 years ago)
Omg, Piazon has been loaned out to Vitesse... how many talents are we gonna lose? Thank goodness Aké said he didn't want to go there (I think).
Reply 5085
RIP Bro.
Reply 5086
A moment of silence to our brazillian homie at the netherlands. :frown:
Spurs are about to sign Capoue. If they keep Bale they could be top 3 quality imo.
Reply 5088
Original post by Isometrix
Spurs are about to sign Capoue. If they keep Bale they could be top 3 quality imo.

Na, don't think they're good enough defensively, I guess with kaboul back it'll help a bit though, I'd say that they are likely to get that 4th spot though.
Original post by jam277
Na, don't think they're good enough defensively, I guess with kaboul back it'll help a bit though, I'd say that they are likely to get that 4th spot though.

Well Bale almost single-handedly got them 5th last year, and with additions like Soldado and Paulinho they can only improve. They were unlucky to not get 4th due to their strikers being in poor form. Even if they don't get top 3 I think they'll still push for it. Arsenal should be bricking it this season tbh.
Reply 5090
In all seriousness I really hope Piazon doesn't end up like Kakuta. He's a great player and I really enjoyed watching him in the FA Youth Cup. I at least hope if he isn't a success here he does well at another good team. Just as long as theya ren't our rivals :biggrin:
Original post by jam277

Knowing Arsenal, they'll probably finish 4th again, one way or the other
Original post by Isometrix
Well Bale almost single-handedly got them 5th last year, and with additions like Soldado and Paulinho they can only improve. They were unlucky to not get 4th due to their strikers being in poor form. Even if they don't get top 3 I think they'll still push for it. Arsenal should be bricking it this season tbh.

Arsenal have been fortunate about 1/2 the time since 2006. Tottenham crumbled in 2006 and were hit with loads of injuries on the last day. They then did the same in 2012 when they were 10 points clear. Last season, it was just the case of slight crumblings but they've been 1 point behind Arsenal for two seasons running now. Arsenal are definitely treading a thin line. They're hoping on a huge revelation from Sanogo because they really are gonna be struggling for 4th this year. S

Such a shame how Arsenal have fallen out of the title race picture. Mind, they should have really won in 2007/08 until that February/March crumble with Eduardo breaking his leg then losing it on the pitch, plus throwing away a huge chance vs United that April when they were a goal in front.
Didn't watch the match but apparently Marin did quite well against United. That's interesting to hear..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5094
I saw highlights of his first performance for Sevilla and he scored twice in the second half and played really well. Although it did look like they were playing on a pitch fit for a sunday league team with about 50 people watching.

It's quite scary really to think that if we had the lost the Champions League Final to Bayern we wouldn't have Hazard, possibly Oscar or even Mourinho right now. Di Matteo would probably be another discarded manager rather a complete legend to the club (although still a great servant to Chelsea) and we could possibly be behind Arsenal or Spurs with Malouda still playing on the wing.

Didier was a hero right until the last. He opened a new chapter in the Club's history at the same time as closing one.
I have a soft spot for Frank Lampard :cool:

He's better than Gerrard by the way.
Reply 5096
Original post by Wilfred Little
I have a soft spot for Frank Lampard :cool:

He's better than Gerrard by the way.

Atm yeah, but I always thought they were equal to each other, lampard being more goal focused and gerrard being more focused on setting up goals and playmaking.
Original post by jam277
Atm yeah, but I always thought they were equal to each other, lampard being more goal focused and gerrard being more focused on setting up goals and playmaking.

Frank has always been better. Creasehead has just scored more Roy of the Rovers type goals which clouds people's judgment. Creasehead is portrayed as some sort of saviour and captain fantastic, the scouse hero and so on, it's boring. He's been toss for three years now while Lampard has just smashed 17 goals in what many thought would be the season he left Chelsea on a free.

It should have been Scholes and Frank in the England midfield. Creasehead didn't fit. They stuck Scholes out on the wing ffs :rolleyes:
Reply 5098
Frank has always been better. Creasehead has just scored more Roy of the Rovers type goals which clouds people's judgment. Creasehead is portrayed as some sort of saviour and captain fantastic, the scouse hero and so on, it's boring. He's been toss for three years now while Lampard has just smashed 17 goals in what many thought would be the season he left Chelsea on a free.

It should have been Scholes and Frank in the England midfield. Creasehead didn't fit. They stuck Scholes out on the wing ffs :rolleyes:

Yeah was saying lamps has been better recently, at their best I'd say there wasn't much between them. Lampard being the better goalscorer but gerrard had more energy and assister. But yeah I'd have tried a lamps scholes midfield. But now lampards clearly the better player.

You have a logical mind, and deserve some rep for speaking sense. Lampard is the 5th highest Premier League scorer, the second highest in assists, and is one of the only players who everyone would agree gives their all in representing England.

And he also seems like a nice - and intelligent - person.

Latest