The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyLH
I'm driving myself insane. I keep looking at the unofficial mark schemes even though I can't remember what I actually put in the exams :rolleyes: Thursday needs to hurry up!

wherecan you find these??
Original post by haniie219
I'm considering applying there for law!

Cool. Geography for me I loved the open day:biggrin:
Reply 1822
Original post by Matt_dragon
Thank you :smile: xx

Happy birthday :biggrin: hope the stress of results doesn't get in the way of celebrating! :P
Reply 1823
Original post by kingdoo
Can anyone give me any advise. OK so I am in year 12 getting my AS's this Thursday as normal. Firstly, I do think my exams went well. But if I do not get the grades I want and therefore I retake the year does this make a difference when applying to UNI's. My second question, because I took Chemistry but ended up dropping it before I took the AS results as I wasn't doing very well in it and I thought it would ruin my other results does this look bad when applying to UNI as most people do at least 4 AS's. I am doing geography, history and psychology and want an ABB.:biggrin:

Not in any way meaning to sound condescending or insulting in any way but I would say Univs / programs that one would be at a disadvantage to get offers by not having a 4th AS would probably require higher grades than ABB. Probably AAA and better. Same goes for retakes. This is my opinion based on my application to & selection of universities this year. Anybody else ?
Original post by Jayqwe
Might do for Economics, what about you?

I am applying for geography the open day was great:biggrin:
Original post by gracecooke55

Unofficial mark schemes can be found under the '[Subject] Exams' sections of TSR. Some are made by teachers, others by students.
Reply 1826
Original post by cs95
The UCAS website says any updates to applications will be made from 8:00 on the 15th August - does that mean we won't know at midnight if we're in or not?

No we won't. Anywhere between 6 and 8. Last year 7.30. Here's hoping you get to sleep those 7 / 8 Hrs. :smile:
Reply 1827

On TSR you can usually find them on the specific exam threads. I know for most of the sciences there is almost always one posted. To be fair they're not even worth looking for now unless you have an insanely good memory.
Original post by PythianLegume
Unofficial mark schemes can be found under the '[Subject] Exams' sections of TSR. Some are made by teachers, others by students.

I don't understand where :frown: I can't find it :confused:
Original post by kingdoo
Can anyone give me any advise. OK so I am in year 12 getting my AS's this Thursday as normal. Firstly, I do think my exams went well. But if I do not get the grades I want and therefore I retake the year does this make a difference when applying to UNI's. My second question, because I took Chemistry but ended up dropping it before I took the AS exams as I wasn't doing very well in it and I thought it would ruin my other exams does this look bad when applying to UNI as most people do at least 4 AS's. I am doing geography, history and psychology and want an ABB.:biggrin:

It does not look bad if you retake in year 13 and the Unis don't even have to know your results as they go off predicted grades. You will not have to retake the year just retake the exams while doing your A2 exams.

Also I was exactly the same I dropped an AS in art because it was ruining my life lol and kept English, History and Physics. I had a huge battle with the school about who insisted I would get no offers with just 3 as's but no I had all 5 offers and Nottingham is my firm with Sheffield as insurance.
I don't understand where :frown: I can't find it :confused:

Well, there might not be an unofficial mark scheme for the exam you're looking for. There's not a lot of point anyway - you'll struggle to remember the questions/answers.
Original post by HPAG
Not in any way meaning to sound condescending or insulting in any way but I would say Univs / programs that one would be at a disadvantage to get offers by not having a 4th AS would probably require higher grades than ABB. Probably AAA and better. Same goes for retakes. This is my opinion based on my application to & selection of universities this year. Anybody else ?

I take your opinion but I am not in away means an OXBRIDGE, Durham, bristol extra candidate. I am looking at Southampton, UEA, Keele, Swansea and Leicester and will put Leicester as my firm if I get an offer if this helps. I do not care how prestigious the UNI is not being insulting myself but OXBRIDGE is not everything.
Original post by ladynova
It does not look bad if you retake in year 13 and the Unis don't even have to know your results as they go off predicted grades. You will not have to retake the year just retake the exams while doing your A2 exams.

Also I was exactly the same I dropped an AS in art because it was ruining my life lol and kept English, History and Physics. I had a huge battle with the school about who insisted I would get no offers with just 3 as's but no I had all 5 offers and Nottingham is my firm with Sheffield as insurance.

Did he not mean retaking the year, not just modules? Re-taking the year will not look good on an application, especially if you do the same subjects - it is generally only acceptable if you took completely different subjects.
Well, there might not be an unofficial mark scheme for the exam you're looking for. There's not a lot of point anyway - you'll struggle to remember the questions/answers.

I just can't find an exams section at all :frown: I can see study and revision and results and clearing.. tis all :frown:
I just can't find an exams section at all :frown: I can see study and revision and results and clearing.. tis all :frown:

They are sub-forums within the subjects - for example, click on the maths study forum and there will be a link to maths exams.
Original post by ladynova

If I get ABB I won't be retaking I don't see the point as I will never get in a million years an AAA. But if I get BBB I probably will and thanks for the advice I forgot you could just retake 1 unit if that is the one you did worse in and Thanks for the information:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Did he not mean retaking the year, not just modules? Re-taking the year will not look good on an application, especially if you do the same subjects - it is generally only acceptable if you took completely different subjects.

Yeah I did mean retake the year which I probably will do if I get BBC or below there is no point otherwise continuing. But I will also retake modules/units if only one unit was my downfull
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah I did mean retake the year which I probably will do if I get BBC or below there is no point otherwise continuing. But I will also retake modules/units if only one unit was my downfull

You should be very careful re-taking a year doing the same subjects - universities may see this as taking twice as long to do the AS, and so may just outright reject you.
You should be very careful re-taking a year doing the same subjects - universities may see this as taking twice as long to do the AS, and so may just outright reject you.

Yeah I did think this. My sixth form last year which was the first year it opened had 42 people retaking year 12 out of 180 and about 35 who were not asked to return so I am kinda worried about my AS's. My teachers are great but I think were just inexperienced last year at making their students study and understand the differences. Oh and when I mean retaking I mean because most got U'S D'S and C'S:eek:
(edited 10 years ago)

Try and google unofficial mark schemes june 2013, threads from the student room tend to pop up there, mainly for maths, chemistry and biology.

Latest