The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Grozdova.
Also glad to be doing Law and Order as it's so different from anything we've ever studied before. We might get to visit the prison as well!

Yeah i know, it is really interesting and so different from electoral systems and poverty causes haha! We are hopefully going to be visiting 3 prisons:smile:
Reply 1881
Original post by lala4
Yeah i know, it is really interesting and so different from electoral systems and poverty causes haha! We are hopefully going to be visiting 3 prisons:smile:

We are going to 3 also!! Our first visit is next month, I'm so excited! It's all so interesting, I can't wait to go back & get started! Hope you's enjoy it!! X
Original post by Lozb
We are going to 3 also!! Our first visit is next month, I'm so excited! It's all so interesting, I can't wait to go back & get started! Hope you's enjoy it!! X

Three prisons!?! And I thought I was lucky...:tongue: I think we visit the Sheriff Court too. I've already spent a week there though so I'll be seeing many familiar faces. I've also had a wee flick through the textbook - our teacher makes us buy this absolute beast of a book which probably weighs the same as a baby elephant. :colondollar:
Reply 1883
Three prisons!?! And I thought I was lucky...:tongue: I think we visit the Sheriff Court too. I've already spent a week there though so I'll be seeing many familiar faces. I've also had a wee flick through the textbook - our teacher makes us buy this absolute beast of a book which probably weighs the same as a baby elephant. :colondollar:

Is it a huge blue sociology book by any chance? Just i got that out of the library and it is pretty good and weighs a tonne.
Original post by lala4
Is it a huge blue sociology book by any chance? Just i got that out of the library and it is pretty good and weighs a tonne.

Yes, I think that could be it. It's "Criminology" by Tim Newburn - is this the one you mean? If not, I've definitely seen other massive sociology/criminology books around. :colondollar:
Original post by lala4

That would be the haralambos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1886
Original post by NinetyOne
That would be the haralambos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is the one. How do you know it may i ask.. did you do AH modern studies?
Reply 1887
Yes, I think that could be it. It's "Criminology" by Tim Newburn - is this the one you mean? If not, I've definitely seen other massive sociology/criminology books around. :colondollar:

Oh no thats not it haha! Okay i see:smile:
Can you self teach the course & sit the exam as long as a teacher allows it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weejackie10
Can you self teach the course & sit the exam as long as a teacher allows it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're self teaching then you'll need to arrange NABs as well. Got to say though, it would be very difficult to self teach unless you had a teacher to look over your work and give feedback on essays and the DME.
Reply 1890
Original post by Ecosse_14
If you're self teaching then you'll need to arrange NABs as well. Got to say though, it would be very difficult to self teach unless you had a teacher to look over your work and give feedback on essays and the DME.

I think she is referring to the advanced higher course!
Original post by lala4
I think she is referring to the advanced higher course!

Ah, I see :tongue:
Reply 1892
Got a No award for my prelims and an A for my exam. Simply amazing.
Reply 1893
Original post by abn63
Got a No award for my prelims and an A for my exam. Simply amazing.

Well done! I got a D in the prelim and then got an A for the final exam too... don't know why and i am still convinced i don't deserve it haha! You taking AH?
Original post by lala4
Well done! I got a D in the prelim and then got an A for the final exam too... don't know why and i am still convinced i don't deserve it haha! You taking AH?

Everyone I know In my class got an A... I have no idea how they gave me an A, I wrote one of my essays on the complete wrong topic! Haha, oh well ! :biggrin:
Reply 1895
Original post by lala4

Nope, doing higher history instead
Hi , a question directed at eccose. Did you take AH mods and if yes what is the course like
Original post by Adykonvict1
Hi , a question directed at eccose. Did you take AH mods and if yes what is the course like

I didn't no, I did higher in 6th year. My school didn't do AH anyway.

It's easier to get people's attention if you quote them. :smile:
Reply 1898
How to write 1 single modern studies essay which can be used for all the questions, for USA immigration.
How did you do it? I need an A this year and i struggle with scoring a good DME mark. Any advice? 😢

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending