The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oliviate
Ah I know how you feel. Is this for AS or A2??

AS so it basically determines the universities i can apply to.
Original post by Kadux
I really want to have some kind of answer to what I know is an impossible question. Essentially, I want to know if I got ABB, when my offer for Bath computer science was AAB, what are the chances I could still possibly be let in? It's obviously impossible to know but it annoys me so much and I know that one of those As has a good chance of being a B. I have friends who seem to think that university offers are actually one grade lower and that if you miss by one, you always get in anyway but this doesn't seem right and I feel like they are just tempting fate and I will miss by one and then not get in. :frown:

I feel so stressed about it that I need to write on here but then, everyone in this thread is facing the exact same thing anyway so it's not like I will get sympathy.

You can have my sympathy and understanding :smile: I'm also bricking it but this thread helps when i feel stressed because for some reason reading about peoples fears and hopes calms me down :redface:

There is nothing we can do now except hope that in the case of which we fail to meet the grades, our various firms/insurances might be a little accepting. Besides universities are allowed to take as much students as they can with ABB without getting fined this year so you might be lucky :smile:
Original post by needtosucceed=)
was it as scary/gruesome as everyones says it is?

It was pretty terrible in my opinion, just cheap scares. Not at all what a horror movie should be. It was also difficult to take it seriously because I couldn't stop thinking about Derek Acorah, the whole notion of 'ghost hunters' is just so stupid.
Reply 1983
Original post by JFA 95
Say I got my results and they were below the requirements of my firm, but Track hadn't updated, do you think we can still ring the uni in anticipation that you've missed the offer? Like, at 7:30? I mean it'd beat the phone rush hour.

I'd wait to see if track updates first - you might have been let in already anyway, and you don't want to annoy them/clog up their phone lines

Original post by Kadux
I really want to have some kind of answer to what I know is an impossible question. Essentially, I want to know if I got ABB, when my offer for Bath computer science was AAB, what are the chances I could still possibly be let in? It's obviously impossible to know but it annoys me so much and I know that one of those As has a good chance of being a B. I have friends who seem to think that university offers are actually one grade lower and that if you miss by one, you always get in anyway but this doesn't seem right and I feel like they are just tempting fate and I will miss by one and then not get in. :frown:

I feel so stressed about it that I need to write on here but then, everyone in this thread is facing the exact same thing anyway so it's not like I will get sympathy.

:hugs: I'm sure you have a good chance of getting in!
I did biology chemistry business studies and maths, predicted grades are AAAC in that order.
I was made to do 4 a levels but would have dropped maths if i could (got a C at AS)
for kings they prefer maths to at least AS, with a minimum grade of a C. what other subjects do you do? most unis just want chemistry and another science, so you might as well drop maths. I found it crazy hard at a2 and put no effort in :colondollar:
I got abbc at as (a in business, b's in sciences)

Oh wow I just about coped with 4 AS levels and wouldn't even think of doing 4 a levels :tongue: My other subjects are chemistry, biology and economics. Maths I enjoyed at first but then I hated stats and did so bad in S1 so I now hate it! What is your firm/insurance?
Dreading this day with my life
Original post by James3110
Oh wow I just about coped with 4 AS levels and wouldn't even think of doing 4 a levels :tongue: My other subjects are chemistry, biology and economics. Maths I enjoyed at first but then I hated stats and did so bad in S1 so I now hate it! What is your firm/insurance?

Yea I definitely wouldnt recommend doing 4a2's if your AS's arent strong, it just leads to having less time for your more important subjects.
Those 3 are good, all academic as well so I would probably drop maths if I was you. Ahh I hated stats too, then we did mechanics this year which I hated even more :angry:
i've firmed kings and insured brighton :smile:
Original post by venenecinema
It was pretty terrible in my opinion, just cheap scares. Not at all what a horror movie should be. It was also difficult to take it seriously because I couldn't stop thinking about Derek Acorah, the whole notion of 'ghost hunters' is just so stupid.

Oh really, hmm i'm quite easily pleased with most films, when people come out saying 'yea that was okay/alright' I normally find it pretty good/amazing :colondollar:
I wanna see it to see what all the fuss is about, my dad told me not to see it as it was so gruesome lol.
Original post by Hullo
York/Loughborough don't start the course till October 1st.. of course i have to leave a few days before but I need to be ready by October :biggrin:

Ahh thats lucky, extra long holidays :biggrin:
Reply 1989
Original post by Etoile
I'd wait to see if track updates first - you might have been let in already anyway, and you don't want to annoy them/clog up their phone lines

True, true. Thanks!
Original post by JFA 95
Say I got my results and they were below the requirements of my firm, but Track hadn't updated, do you think we can still ring the uni in anticipation that you've missed the offer? Like, at 7:30? I mean it'd beat the phone rush hour.

I'm not sure really. It can't hurt trying I suppose, but would their phone lines already be open at that time?

May as well give it a go! :tongue:
The one thing I absolutely detest about results is how long you have to wait after the exam. (and Ofqual, who casually decide to twist your perfectly acceptable result into some horrific disappointment... just to make the government give them a purpose) :spank:

I would be way more motivated to revise if the result came out the week after the exam. Plus, we spend so much time thinking panicking instead of relaxing, the whole point of the summer holiday is wasted. Work faster examiners and ignore Ofqual's manipulation schemes!

Rant over... :biggrin:
Oh really, hmm i'm quite easily pleased with most films, when people come out saying 'yea that was okay/alright' I normally find it pretty good/amazing :colondollar:
I wanna see it to see what all the fuss is about, my dad told me not to see it as it was so gruesome lol.

I'm normally like that as well to be honest, but when it comes to horror films I'm a bit picky. If you like the kind of horror that makes you jump but doesn't actually scare you for a long time then you should enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's gruesome at all, there's one bit that's a bit disgusting but other than that not really. There are also some (intentionally) pretty funny bits.
Original post by serebro
The one thing I absolutely detest about results is how long you have to wait after the exam. (and Ofqual, who casually decide to twist your perfectly acceptable result into some horrific disappointment... just to make the government give them a purpose) :spank:

I would be way more motivated to revise if the result came out the week after the exam. Plus, we spend so much time thinking panicking instead of relaxing, the whole point of the summer holiday is wasted. Work faster examiners and ignore Ofqual's manipulation schemes!

Rant over... :biggrin:

I'm aware of ofqual manipulating GCSE results but is there any evidence for them doing this with A-Levels? I don't think it'd be nearly as necessary with A-Levels since they're actually quite difficult, unlike GCSEs.
Got a post card from LJMU wishing me good luck today, it scared me even more! Now I've to head to work for a 10 hour shift! By the time I'm home (half 4 in the morning) it'll be 4 days to go!
Original post by Kadux

If anything, I think because we're all in the same boat our capacity to sympathise is probably through the rood :redface:
The very best of luck to you, I hope it all works out on Thursday :smile:
I'm normally like that as well to be honest, but when it comes to horror films I'm a bit picky. If you like the kind of horror that makes you jump but doesn't actually scare you for a long time then you should enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's gruesome at all, there's one bit that's a bit disgusting but other than that not really. There are also some (intentionally) pretty funny bits.

ahhh yea those are the ones I like :biggrin:
oh really, my dads being a bit ott then haha.
have u seen paranormal activity? I found the 2nd one fairly scary, if its like that i'll enjoy it :tongue:
Reply 1997
Original post by kingdoo
Ah right well I can tell you from my experience that Leicester is a great UNI. Good sized campus which wasn't too small or big. Set in a really nice area. I looked at geography and the department was great and really friendly. My friend looked at astrophysics/engineering/biology (He doesn't know what he wants to study yet) And me and him agree it is the best UNI we have looked at. I have also looked at Southampton, UEA, Birmingham, Keele and Swansea. The accommodation is situated outside the uni about 10 mins away on bus which arrive every 10 mins. This is an extra cost of £200 but included a bus into the city as well. The accommodation was really nice and in a very nice area. There are 2 sport centers which are both mainly private (There were clubs for smaller children but they only get the outdoor facilities such as the astro and tennis courts. They were both very new and modern. Really good GYM ect. The uni has had massive refurbishment so everything is brand new.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Wow thank you!! It sounds really good! I don't know anyone who has been there before so I didn't know very much but you seem to have really loved it!! I must look into it more then, the effort seems like it would be more worth it now! What did you think of Keele? I've been thinking about it, and a friend of mine's sister is studying there at the minute and she seems to really love it.
I'm aware of ofqual manipulating GCSE results but is there any evidence for them doing this with A-Levels? I don't think it'd be nearly as necessary with A-Levels since they're actually quite difficult, unlike GCSEs.

Well last year was the first year in ages that results went down for A-Levels. It just wasn't as big an issue, because it was small and in all subjects, not like the rather large shift in GCSE English.
ahhh yea those are the ones I like :biggrin:
oh really, my dads being a bit ott then haha.
have u seen paranormal activity? I found the 2nd one fairly scary, if its like that i'll enjoy it :tongue:

It's so much more terrifying than paranormal activity 2! You'd love it, I screamed at some bits and 3 girls ran out crying haha!

Latest