The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Anyone applying to university of strathclyde by the end of this year?

Hi everyone! I'm new on The Student Room. I am thinking of applying for electronics or chemical engineering at the university of strathclyde later this year so that I can start in September 2014. I was wondering if anyone else is too? (Any course!) and does anyone has any information/opinion on the university?

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am! I'm hoping to do some course based on any of the subjects I'm studying this year (2013-2014), AH maths, physics and computing. Currently leaning towards theoretical physics. I'm always told Strathclyde is the university to go for to do science/technical subjects (even though my girlfriend wants to go there to do psychology..), I'll see at the open day next month!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Hello! I'm want to apply for EME, or maybe either electrical or mechanical. It's got a very good reputation for the engineering and science! I've not been to an open day yet but I guess I'll have a better idea of what it's like once I do.
Reply 3
I am! I'm hoping to do some course based on any of the subjects I'm studying this year (2013-2014), AH maths, physics and computing. Currently leaning towards theoretical physics. I'm always told Strathclyde is the university to go for to do science/technical subjects (even though my girlfriend wants to go there to do psychology..), I'll see at the open day next month!

Hi! Good luck with your advanced highers! I am going to be trying to get in after finishing my 5th year and am doing English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Tech Studies all at higher, hopefully I'll get predicted for at least AAAAB! Oh and I also might be going to the open day next month so I might see you there! :biggrin:

Hello! I'm want to apply for EME, or maybe either electrical or mechanical. It's got a very good reputation for the engineering and science! I've not been to an open day yet but I guess I'll have a better idea of what it's like once I do.

Hello! I was thinking of applying for both EME and EEE at first but now I am leaning a bit more towards Chemical Engineering. I might change my mind though as I have like a million times for the last couple of months! I am really struggling to choose an engineering field since I like them all except for Civil. Mechanical is the most competitive so that puts me off a bit and EEE and ChemE have a higher percentage of applicants receiving offers! And they both have good jobs too ( but that's true for pretty much all engineering disciplines I think). I have also heard often that Strathclyde is one of the best places to study science and engineering because of their practical courses and links with the industry. I know a EEE lecturer who gave me a private tour of the facilities in May and I must say they were quite good!
Reply 4
Original post by legenRajveer
Hi! Good luck with your advanced highers! I am going to be trying to get in after finishing my 5th year and am doing English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Tech Studies all at higher, hopefully I'll get predicted for at least AAAAB! Oh and I also might be going to the open day next month so I might see you there! :biggrin:

Hello! I was thinking of applying for both EME and EEE at first but now I am leaning a bit more towards Chemical Engineering. I might change my mind though as I have like a million times for the last couple of months! I am really struggling to choose an engineering field since I like them all except for Civil. Mechanical is the most competitive so that puts me off a bit and EEE and ChemE have a higher percentage of applicants receiving offers! And they both have good jobs too ( but that's true for pretty much all engineering disciplines I think). I have also heard often that Strathclyde is one of the best places to study science and engineering because of their practical courses and links with the industry. I know a EEE lecturer who gave me a private tour of the facilities in May and I must say they were quite good!

Same, but then again, it might just be my indecisiveness, watching Star Trek has made me consider Aeronautical! (So easily influenced. sigh. But who wouldn't want to be Scotty?) I've read a lot about them, but I can't help but feel that I don't know what it would be like to actually study them, if you get what I mean. I think the open day will help. That's a good point about mechanical, which I might have to consider since my grades might not be as good as some of the people applying (well, I don't know what the average is applicant is, but still). Strathclyde seem to have a very high percentage of graduates getting jobs in Engineering, which is very attractive because, well understandably, we actually want to be them as well as study it!
Reply 5

Thanks mate! In 5th year I did English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing! Got AAAAC, with the C in English! So I've got the grades to do physics at any Scottish university! Awesome, see you there!
Reply 6
Original post by scimpy331
Thanks mate! In 5th year I did English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing! Got AAAAC, with the C in English! So I've got the grades to do physics at any Scottish university! Awesome, see you there!

Congratulations! Those are great results :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Irythm
Congratulations! Those are great results :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Same, but then again, it might just be my indecisiveness, watching Star Trek has made me consider Aeronautical! (So easily influenced. sigh. But who wouldn't want to be Scotty?) I've read a lot about them, but I can't help but feel that I don't know what it would be like to actually study them, if you get what I mean. I think the open day will help. That's a good point about mechanical, which I might have to consider since my grades might not be as good as some of the people applying (well, I don't know what the average is applicant is, but still). Strathclyde seem to have a very high percentage of graduates getting jobs in Engineering, which is very attractive because, well understandably, we actually want to be them as well as study it

It's quite difficult to choose an engineering field isn't it since they are all fun in their own way, nice to know I am not the only one having this problem :smile: The modules for chemical engineering seem to suit me the most which is one of the reasons I chose it ,they have really good job prospects and salaries too and it's also a broad field. If you can get the grades and write a good personal statement for mechanical or aero-mechanical engineering then you should really go for it in my opinion because it's a really cool and broad field and you can work almost anywhere you want in the world! Another thing about mechanical that puts me off apart from the high competition is that they use lots of CAD for their designs and I don't like using CAD but that's just me :smile: Are you planning on going to the open day next month?

Wow man those are some grades, seriously well done! You have a very good chance of getting a place!

Oh and guys if you haven't yet then have a look at the university.which.co.uk website because it has LOTS of good information on any course at any university you are considering doing for example this http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-strathclyde-s78/electronic-and-electrical-engineering-h-4-years-9000-h600

I am having trouble replying
Reply 9
It's quite difficult to choose an engineering field isn't it since they are all fun in their own way, nice to know I am not the only one having this problem :smile: The modules for chemical engineering seem to suit me the most which is one of the reasons I chose it ,they have really good job prospects and salaries too and it's also a broad field. If you can get the grades and write a good personal statement for mechanical or aero-mechanical engineering then you should really go for it in my opinion because it's a really cool and broad field and you can work almost anywhere you want in the world! Another thing about mechanical that puts me off apart from the high competition is that they use lots of CAD for their designs and I don't like using CAD but that's just me :smile: Are you planning on going to the open day next month?

Yes I am. It should be interesting, and I can't wait to see the facilities. Might see you there if you are too! :biggrin: I've never used CAD before, but I think they might some program at school for the Graph Comm kids, might see how I like it first. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Irythm
Yes I am. It should be interesting, and I can't wait to see the facilities. Might see you there if you are too! :biggrin: I've never used CAD before, but I think they might some program at school for the Graph Comm kids, might see how I like it first. :smile:

Awesome we might meet each other there then! I did CAD in standard grade graph com, I made a robotic arm ( I didn't make the end effector because it was too difficult). It was quite good bug not something I felt passionate about doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm applying for the LLB, hopefully I'll get a conditional :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by pinkmascaragirl
i'm applying for the LLB, hopefully I'll get a conditional :smile:

Good luck! Hope you get in! Are you applying after 5th year or 6th year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck! Hope you get in! Are you applying after 5th year or 6th year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm staying on for sixth year and applying by the end of this year :smile:
Reply 14
I'm staying on for sixth year and applying by the end of this year :smile:

Aw ok :smile: I feel like the only person applying to go to uni after 5th year...
Aw ok :smile: I feel like the only person applying to go to uni after 5th year...
. A few people in my year went after fifth year.What course are you going for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
. A few people in my year went after fifth year.What course are you going for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but there are so few! I don't know anyone who is. I am thinking of applying for chemical engineering ( if I change my mind then electronics and electrical) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm studying Primary Teaching starting September 😄 anyone else? Would be great to get to know some people before we start as I am not going to know anyone at Strathclyde at all 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by NicolaJenkins
Hi! I'm studying Primary Teaching starting September 😄 anyone else? Would be great to get to know some people before we start as I am not going to know anyone at Strathclyde at all 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I also don't know anyone applying to strathclyde :frown: Yeah it would be a great idea to get to know some people before we start! Are you planning on attending the open day next month?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am! :smile: Anyone applying for Computer Science and Computer and Electronic Systems with International Study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending