The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naami
Is Basilisk any good? It's MVM's deal of the week at £9.99, a very tempting price.

It's one of my favourite series ever, I'd certainly recommend it. Especially at that price! :zomg:
Reply 5081
Original post by AngryJellyfish
It's one of my favourite series ever, I'd certainly recommend it. Especially at that price! :zomg:

I'll have take your word on that AJ :wink: I don't usually do blind buys, but I'll have a go this time round -- here's a link if anyone's interested :smile:
Reply 5082
Original post by Scienceisgood
Don't suppose anyone here can read Japanese can they?

If so, please translate the top part of the page please, I know it announces something in 2014 for Fairy Tail but I can't read it. =(

20130728142338495.jpg

I can't read Japanese, so could be completely wrong here, but judging by the image, is it not just an advertisement for a Fairy Tail calendar? :dontknow:

Any chance you could confirm/deny this, if you have a minute? :smile:

Of course, happy to.

特別企画 = Special Project

T応募者全員サービス = Open to all applicants

ギルドの仲間といつでも一緒 = Always together with fellow guild members

冊子&カレンダーがセットで価格1000円(税・送料込み)= 1000 yen for a booklet and calendar set (tax and postage included)

オリジナル卓上カレンダー = Original desk calendar of Fairy Tail

真島先生のカラーイラストを贅沢に使った2014年版オリジナル卓上カレンダー = 2014 original desk calendar with extravagant colour illustrations by Mr. Majima

7枚入り= Contains seven

裏表印刷 = Printed on both sides

卓上ホルダー付き = Comes with a desk (calendar) holder

応募の締め切りは8月19日(月)です。= Application deadline is Monday, August 19th

当日消印有効 = Postmark on the deadline day is valid

応募者全員サービスには実費がかかります。= The above cited costs 1000 yen

冊子・カレンダーのデザインは変更になる場合があります。= Design of the booklet and calendar is subject to change

Edit: Seems like TSR doesn't like kanji/kana. Hopefully, you'll understand what corresponds to what. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5083
Oh, whilst I'm here, I figured some of you might be interested in this Comiket DVD catalog thing I picked up while I was in Japan. Essentially, it gives information of every stall there. It's pretty nifty.

I'm thinking of going this year, seeing as it's been so long since I last went (way over a decade).
Original post by Aiko
Oh, whilst I'm here, I figured some of you might be interested in this Comiket DVD catalog thing I picked up while I was in Japan. Essentially, it gives information of every stall there. It's pretty nifty.

I'm thinking of going this year, seeing as it's been so long since I last went (way over a decade).

That's pretty awesome, guess you'd need something like that to make the most of your time at such a huge event, and find the stalls you want easier. :yes:

I should probably make more of an effort to check out other UK conventions and expos... I've still only been to the small one in Telford. :redface:
I've decided to drop Blood Lad, as the generic, uninteresting plot coupled with shockingly bad production values and unappealing character designs were making it painful to watch... as I said before, I don't quite know why I picked it up to begin with. :hmmmm2: Can only assume its because I missed Hataraku Maou-sama! Seems I'm in the minority by not liking it, though - according to Anime-Planet's rankings, it's the second most popular non-sequel show of the season (after Free!) :zomg:

I looked at a few different Summer series as potential replacements, giving priority to the series whose first eps I didn't get around to watching at the start of the season. Hyperdimension Neptunia turned out to be awful, and Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya wasn't anything special either (plus I've already read the manga). Kimi no Iru Machi impressed me enough to give its second episode a go, and after also watching and enjoying the second ep of WataMote (the one show I previously dropped that I thought might have potential), I still went with Kimi no Iru Machi. Mostly on the grounds that I'm already watching way too much comedy, so a romance/drama should provide some variation. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've decided to drop Blood Lad, as the generic, uninteresting plot coupled with shockingly bad production values and unappealing character designs were making it painful to watch... as I said before, I don't quite know why I picked it up to begin with. :hmmmm2: Can only assume its because I missed Hataraku Maou-sama! Seems I'm in the minority by not liking it, though - according to Anime-Planet's rankings, it's the second most popular non-sequel show of the season (after Free!) :zomg:

I looked at a few different Summer series as potential replacements, giving priority to the series whose first eps I didn't get around to watching at the start of the season. Hyperdimension Neptunia turned out to be awful, and Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya wasn't anything special either (plus I've already read the manga). Kimi no Iru Machi impressed me enough to give its second episode a go, and after also watching and enjoying the second ep of WataMote (the one show I previously dropped that I thought might have potential), I still went with Kimi no Iru Machi. Mostly on the grounds that I'm already watching way too much comedy, so a romance/drama should provide some variation. :biggrin:

Good replacement choice :smile: Kimi no Iru Machi definitely won't disappoint. The manga is absolutely brilliant - and luckily the anime adaption is doing it justice.
I usually avoid romance anime on grounds of it being clichey, but luckily Kimi no Iru Machi is different. It's more realistic than other romance dramas, and the storyline isn't too over the top. It is truly a good"slice-of-life".:biggrin:
Thanks Aiko. =)
I was hoping that was like maybe a confirmation of Fairy Tail returning. =(

Tell me, did you learn Japanese or are you native Japanese?
Or did you cheat and use translator? :pierre:
Reply 5088
Am I the only one that can't watch subbed anime only dubbed?
Original post by SyedaK
Am I the only one that can't watch subbed anime only dubbed?

Depends on the dub for me. I would say 70% of what I watch is dubbed (however, there are some animes I find which are far better subbed (actually like 95% of them), however, since I started Fairy Tail dubbed I can't really watch it subbed, I do watch it though in sub format too).

Basically, I am not one of these "zomg, dubbed anime, MY EARS BLEED" kinda crap, like I said, it depends, an example where I feel the VA for dubbed are COMPLETELY wrong are the following couple;

Deadman Wonderland
Sword Art Online
Is this a zombie?

Still, that's just me. =l

EDIT:
Although, I do have to admit, female VA tend to be better than males.
(edited 10 years ago)
I also discovered recently I can't watch anime on the laptop anymore. I have to download it and convert to MKV format to play on the TV by plugging into Blu Ray player. DX

Still, quality is awesome! XD
Reply 5091
Depends on the dub for me. I would say 70% of what I watch is dubbed (however, there are some animes I find which are far better subbed (actually like 95% of them), however, since I started Fairy Tail dubbed I can't really watch it subbed, I do watch it though in sub format too).

Basically, I am not one of these "zomg, dubbed anime, MY EARS BLEED" kinda crap, like I said, it depends, an example where I feel the VA for dubbed are COMPLETELY wrong are the following couple;

Deadman Wonderland
Sword Art Online
Is this a zombie?

Still, that's just me. =l

EDIT:
Although, I do have to admit, female VA tend to be better than males.

Well at least you can watch subbed, with me, my eyes are either on the words or the action. Speaking of fairytail, When will FUNimation dub season 2?
Original post by SyedaK
Well at least you can watch subbed, with me, my eyes are either on the words or the action. Speaking of fairytail, When will FUNimation dub season 2?

Already done it, lol. =P

I downloaded the first half of the series and was watching on TV only 1.5 hours ago. =D
Fairy Tail, I would rate the dubbing of to be about 7/10 myself. :smile:
If you follow this link, you will find the first 72 episodes of Funimation's dub. =)
However, I did laugh out loud seriously when I was watching one of the episodes where Natsu faces against Cobra and thinks that dirty joke only for Cobra to burst out laughing and Happy being absolutely puzzled as to what's so funny only for Natsu to say "I'll tell you when your older". XD

EDIT:
Although, while I do not support piracy, this is the only way I can go around getting anime without my parents knowing I am watching it given they view anything not live action as being childish (even though my mother likes Shrek and Ice Age) and while not anime, is a bit hypocritical really, no?
Though, I do fully intend on buying the anime when/if I get into uni (basically when I move out) and have the funds. =l
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5095
If you follow this link, you will find the first 72 episodes of Funimation's dub. =)

You don't know how much i'm thanking you now.. are there any other animes similar to Fairy Tail
Original post by SyedaK
You don't know how much i'm thanking you now.. are there any other animes similar to Fairy Tail

Ravemaster's a bit of a shot in the dark (Hiro Mashima's very first manga work) and Fairy Tail is basically a drastically improved version of it, I personally couldn't get past the first few episodes, maybe you will have more luck?

Some of my favourite animes;

Blue Exorcist - Dub is good but I prefer sub
Heaven's Lost Property (Harem comedy gold)
Sword Art Online (don't be deceived by the pink monster bosses) - only first 3 eps have been dubbed, however, I prefer sub in this case
My Bride Is A Mermaid is funny

Just a few, note, all but one have been dubbed (Sword Art Online's dubs are being released now).

EDIT:
Anime News Network appears to be down atm...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5097
Ravemaster's a bit of a shot in the dark (Hiro Mashima's very first manga work) and Fairy Tail is basically a drastically improved version of it, I personally couldn't get past the first few episodes, maybe you will have more luck?

Some of my favourite animes;

Blue Exorcist - Dub is good but I prefer sub
Heaven's Lost Property (Harem comedy gold)
Sword Art Online (don't be deceived by the pink monster bosses) - only first 3 eps have been dubbed, however, I prefer sub in this case
My Bride Is A Mermaid is funny

Just a few, note, all but one have been dubbed (Sword Art Online's dubs are being released now).

Thanks so much, i'll be sure to watch them after I'm done with Naruto and Fairy Tail. Speaking of Naruto - did you watch NigaHiga's fake movie trailer for it. It's epic!
Original post by SyedaK
Thanks so much, i'll be sure to watch them after I'm done with Naruto and Fairy Tail. Speaking of Naruto - did you watch NigaHiga's fake movie trailer for it. It's epic!

I think I watched the first episode of Naruto and wasn't that impressed (although, I kinda broke my own rule by watching only the first episode).
Only big anime I watch (150+ eps) is Fairy Tail and can't wait for it's revival! XD
Reply 5099
I think I watched the first episode of Naruto and wasn't that impressed (although, I kinda broke my own rule by watching only the first episode).
Only big anime I watch (150+ eps) is Fairy Tail and can't wait for it's revival! XD

How about Dragonball?
I tried watching One Peice ( Half of an episode) and didnt like it much

Latest

Trending

Trending