The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Feeling It could be Northamptons year in league two. The play off final was a disappointment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure after yesterday's match! Looked good enough to probably challenge for play-offs again, but not a single shot on target in 98 minutes of football... never really looked like scoring either, so I'm not sure they'll be doing anything other than challenging for play-offs again.
Quite an enjoyable match yesterday though! Neither side afraid to get physical, which is nice to see from us after 3 years of tippy tappy nonsense and not competing in games.
Think Derby shot themselves in the foot there - far too negative; playing well and on top at home with half an hour to go, you shouldn't be taking a striker off for a midfielder and trying to hold on to that 1 goal lead.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Think Derby shot themselves in the foot there - far too negative; playing well and on top at home with half an hour to go, you shouldn't be taking a striker off for a midfielder and trying to hold on to that 1 goal lead.

2 ex Cov players on either side: Keogh and Eustace for Derby, Dann and Best for Blackburn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got it in one. Unfortunately, I'm used to negative tactics like that (although it doesn't normally happen at home) with Clough at the helm.

Also worrying that Johnny Russell came off because he was tired. With a full pre-season under his belt, he should not be exhausted after an hour. Even then, Clough could have put Sammon on!

On the balance of play, I thought we were lucky to get a point.
1-1 for us away at Port Vale. Happy enough with that. Rosler's been saying for a while that away to a promoted team isn't his ideal opening fixture and from the sounds of it we tested their keeper quite a lot. We had two new strikers up front so I'm happy giving them a little more time to bed in - hopefully they'll fire a few in against Sheffield United next week when I'm down in London!

Obligatory commiserations post to Coventry too. Will be keeping an eye out each week and hoping that the situation off the pitch gets better. Not bothered how well it goes on it though.
Reply 9185
Probably going to be another tough season as a TUFC fan. So many matches last season we threw away points due to conceding late goals. Seems like we're doing it again. Probably didn't help that Knill waited till a few days before the start of the season to bring in players to fill important positions (CB and ST). Just got to hope they can gel in quickly! Hoping for play-offs this year - 3rd time lucky, right?
Original post by Scott129
Match predictions for tonight?

I'm going 2-1 Sheffield United.

Would like to predict us to win on Saturday at Brentford?! :biggrin:
Reply 9187
Colchester 1-5 Peterborough :cool:
Peterborough scoring five was not the only surprise in the League Cup. Well done to Newport and Accrington Stanley.
Original post by barnetlad
Peterborough scoring five was not the only surprise in the League Cup. Well done to Newport and Accrington Stanley.

What about Morecambe? I live locally and that was probably the best Morecambe game I've seen. What a goal to win it as well, worthy of beating any demoralised, ex Premier League side.
Nice win for Watford today, always good to get an early morale boosting 6-1 win. Credit to Bournemouth though; if they can play as well - and as energetically - as they did in the first half they should do rather well in the league. They certainly matched us until fatigue took over. Gabriele Angella might just be the most talented player I have ever seen grace Vicarage Road - and he's a central defender.

Also, Deeney's hat trick has probably alerted a few more Premier League clubs as to his ability, but - as a figurehead both on and off the pitch - I can't see the Pozzo's letting him go for cheap; promotion is worth more than a quick £5 million.
(edited 10 years ago)
2-1 win away at Brighton... awwww yeaaaah.

3 more away wins and we've equaled last season's total :rolleyes:
Original post by billybo_h
Nice win for Watford today, always good to get an early morale boosting 6-1 win. Credit to Bournemouth though; if they can play as well - and as energetically - as they did in the first half they should do rather well in the league. They certainly matched us until fatigue took over. Gabriele Angella might just be the most talented player I have ever seen grace Vicarage Road - and he's a central defender.

Also, Deeney's hat trick has probably alerted a few more Premier League clubs as to his ability, but - as a figurehead both on and off the pitch - I can't see the Pozzo's letting him go for cheap; promotion is worth more than a quick £5 million.

Yep, always necessary to have a common thug to lead the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, always necessary to have a common thug to lead the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A one time offender who appears to have learnt his lesson, and has ultimately shown that he accepts his guilt - and has been humbled by it. If he commits another offence I will happily admit I was wrong; but currently he is proving himself the bigger man.

He is nothing like common thugs such as Marlon King, or moral-loose money grabbers like Michael Chopra.

Anyway, strong morals left football years ago; no one could say that they believe every player at their club is a respectable human being.
Reply 9194
Hmm not a bad start to the season for Bolton. A tough local derby away from home to start and was happy with the point, followed by a cup win which is nice and then a hard fought home win against a relegated prem team. All in all pleased with the fight we've put up, shame none of our 500 strikers have got off to a flyer though :/
Fabulous to see we've found our level today against Gillingham.

In all seriousness though a fine win for the youngsters and Griffiths is surely going to be so prolific in this league. Seeing Brentfords result vs Sheffield suggests they might be battling us for 2nd even at this early stage. Peterborough look very strong (Very early days that cannot be read into because two seasons ago at this stage we were top of the prem :rolleyes:)
Reply 9196
6-1, not a bad start I guess? Result was reasonably flattering, Bournemouth were the best team in the first half I thought just, but they seemed unable to match us when we stepped it up in the second half, Bournemouth were not awful by any means, and by no means were Watford at their best.

This 'cheating' we're doing is actually quite fun!
A terrible start to the season for Wednesday; 3 defeats in 3...the only way is up one hopes...
Back from the MK game - good first half, poor second half but 1-0 win so can't complain. :smile:
Not a bad start to the season for the Terriers, in both league and cup. We look solid at the back for most of the time on pitch but have still managed to give 3 lacklustre goals away in 3 games, better than 6 in a single game I suppose but we need to bring in a more athletic and capable CB. Faced two very good teams in Forest and QPR so I'm quite satisfied with things and if we keep it up we certainly won't be checking over our shoulder trying to avoid relegation come the end of the season.

Millwall next weekend, lets see how our attacking prowess in a 3-5-2 line up performs against lesser opponents :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest