The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Psychology C801 (MA) Undergraduates?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nkaj
I found this http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_284760_en.pdf but wasn't sure if it applied to MA undergrads. Though I'm pretty the actual psychology course is the same for MA and BSc :smile:

Ah, thank you, yepp, it's the same :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi Guys, I have secured a place at Glasgow for the MA Psychology course. I'm so excited!! Can anyone tell me the list of courses you can study in first year alongside it? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Congrats on everyone getting a place!!
Reply 22
Original post by nicolagrantgrant
Hi Guys, I have secured a place at Glasgow for the MA Psychology course. I'm so excited!! Can anyone tell me the list of courses you can study in first year alongside it? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Congrats on everyone getting a place!!

Hi! Congratulations :smile:

For the MA course, you can choose any subject from the Arts:
Comparative Literature
Czech
French
German
Hispanic (Spanish, Portuguese)
Italian
Russian
Archaeology
Celtic and Gaelic (Celtic Civilisation)
Classics (Classical Civilisation, Greek and Latin)
Digital and Information Studies
History
Philosophy
Film and TV Studies
History of Art
Music
Theatre Studies

English Literature
English Language
Scottish Literature and Language
Theology and Religious Studies

So, a VERY wide choice. But as well as this, you can also pick some subjects from the sciences and social sciences. This depends if the subjects have any timetable clashes at level 2, here's a link which highlights the clashes: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_285050_en.pdf

From reading the introduction to the college of arts: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_285046_en.pdf I learned that we have to do a minimum of 120 credits in Arts subjects over years 1 and 2. Each course is worth 40 credits. For example I was planning on studying: Psychology, Sociology and History in year 1 and then taking Psychology and History onto level 2 along with level 1 Philosophy which will amount to 120 credits in Arts subjects over years 1 and 2 :smile:

Hope I've helped to make things clearer! x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Just a note about Film and TV Studies, I heard at an open day it's unlikely that students that haven't actually applied to do this course through UCAS, can get onto this course due to its popularity!
Is Public Policy not considered to be in the Arts credit?:frown:
Also, thank you for the information, you made things alot clearer:smile:
Reply 26
Is Public Policy not considered to be in the Arts credit?:frown:

I think Public Policy is within the college of social science!
Does anyone know when we enroll for our courses? I got an email the other day saying that we enroll for our courses of choice online? Has anyone received anymore INFO. on this? I'm so excited to start! It's kinda daunting though and scary haha!
Original post by TheLittlestOwl
Hi there :smile:

Thank you for posting.

I have a couple of questions, if it isn't too much trouble, firstly, how many days a week on average are most Psychology undergraduates in? Also, how was the first year of the course from your perspective?

From Rebecca.

You'll get 3 psychology lectures, a tutorial and occasionally a lab so all in all, not that much. Even with my other subjects I think I was in at the most 4 days a week and the timetable wasn't too heavy within those days anyway.

First year was good - it's all relatively straightforward stuff so that you have the chance to learn background information and get used to writing essays/lab reports so it's a relatively chilled year!
Reply 29
Has anyone bought the Psychology:The Science of Mind and Behaviour book yet? I'm not sure which edition to buy.
Reply 30
Original post by Nkaj
Has anyone bought the Psychology:The Science of Mind and Behaviour book yet? I'm not sure which edition to buy.

Hi! I bought the first edition, used, off Amazon for £6.55. And I bought the second edition yesterday from Waterstones for £42, so big difference!
Reply 31
Does anyone know when we enroll for our courses? I got an email the other day saying that we enroll for our courses of choice online? Has anyone received anymore INFO. on this? I'm so excited to start! It's kinda daunting though and scary haha!

We enrol for our courses on the 20th of August I think :smile:
Original post by Shannon~
We enrol for our courses on the 20th of August I think :smile:

Thank you, are you going to freshers week? I'm so scared that I won't no anyone at the beginning of the year haha! Also, can you send me the link to the books you bought, I tried to search for them but there's so many different ones! xx :smile:
Reply 33
Thank you, are you going to freshers week? I'm so scared that I won't no anyone at the beginning of the year haha! Also, can you send me the link to the books you bought, I tried to search for them but there's so many different ones! xx :smile:

You're welcome :smile: and yeah I'm going to freshers' week, I feel the same as you but we're all in the same boat and I'm sure everyone will be really easy to get along with!

This is the first edition: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-The-Science-Mind-Behaviour/dp/0077118367/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376160995&sr=8-4&keywords=psychology+the+science+of+mind+and+behaviour

This is the second: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/michael+vliek/nigel+holt/andy+bremner/ed+sutherland/michael+w-+passer/ronald+e-+smith/psychology3a+the+science+of+mind+and+behaviour/8621415/

Thank you! I might order them soon so I can have a wee browse! Did you get your results for highers on Tuesday? Yeah, Freshers is suppose to be amazing! My sister said that everyone is dead nice and we shouldn't have a problem making a few friends so that's reassuring haha! I still can't believe I got in... It's not sank in yet haha. xx
Reply 35
Thank you! I might order them soon so I can have a wee browse! Did you get your results for highers on Tuesday? Yeah, Freshers is suppose to be amazing! My sister said that everyone is dead nice and we shouldn't have a problem making a few friends so that's reassuring haha! I still can't believe I got in... It's not sank in yet haha. xx

No problem! Yeah I've been sitting having a look through the second edition, it's so interesting! Yep I got an A in Higher Geography, an A in Higher Media Studies and an A in Intermediate 2 Maths :smile: really pleased with what I got. I'm not 18 during fresher's week so unfortunately I can't drink, but the big fresher's ice breaker in mansion house is on the night of my 18th so I'll be making up for it then! That is really good to hear, ahh it'll be brilliant :smile:. Haha! You better believe it, well done, you should be really proud of yourself! xx
I know i'm just shocked because it was my first set of highers so I had to get AAAB! I cried like a baby when I got my results haha! I'm 18 so i'll be fully enjoying freshers haha! Yeah, I loved Higher Psychology! My friends mum is a lecturer and she said that first year Psychology is very similar to the contents of Higher Psychology! Also, well done on your results, you did absolutely fantastic! xxx
Also, are you staying in student accommodation? :smile:
Reply 38
I know i'm just shocked because it was my first set of highers so I had to get AAAB! I cried like a baby when I got my results haha! I'm 18 so i'll be fully enjoying freshers haha! Yeah, I loved Higher Psychology! My friends mum is a lecturer and she said that first year Psychology is very similar to the contents of Higher Psychology! Also, well done on your results, you did absolutely fantastic! xxx

That's so amazing well done you! Haha, aw you're so lucky :frown: I don't know anyone anyway so I suppose I don't need to be drunk to lose my inhibitions :colondollar:. I wish my school done Higher Psychology! I'm sure you'll ease right into it then, no worries at all. Aw thank you, I was quite surprised I done that well, I thought once I got my unconditional I would have stopped caring about my subjects, it's just good to know I still put effort in! xxx
Reply 39
Also, are you staying in student accommodation? :smile:

No I'm staying at home! What about you? I couldn't move out because I'm recovering from an operation right now so I get a lot of physio and stuff and moving out would just be a hassle. Possibly in second year though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending