The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
Rooney wants to be the big daddy at Utd currently that position is occupied RVP. RVP is first choice striker and first name on the team sheet. I guess Rooney and his ego can't handle the fact that he's second best and that he has to adjust to accommodate RVP. Moyes favours RVP for first choice striker this season hence Rooney doesn't get want he wants and throws his toys out of the pram.

I guess the contract situation is at the back of his mind also. Ideally when there's two years to go on a contract the best time to renew is now. Utd will argue Rooney hasn't justified a pay rise or the same pay £250,000 a week. Rooney is 27 and this is his last major contact. Why take a lesser contract at Utd when at Chelsea, the team with more money than sense, he can get one last huge payday on a 4 or 5 year contract on the same wages or even get a pay rise whilst at the same time being the main man and first choice striker at Chelsea. His agent probably sees this and want to cash in hence why he's agitating

Chelsea aren't that different to us in the wages department, why the hell would they pay him £250k a week? That would make him the highest earner behind Hazard wouldn't it?
Original post by sr90
Exactly. Pre season means nothing other than getting fitness levels up and doing some marketing for the club. United have had dire pre seasons before and so have our rivals. It means absolutely nothing in terms of how the season is going to pan out.

In other news... ESPN thinks this is Fergie :laugh:

Mhmmm there is no correlation that doing well in pre-season leads to trophies in the regular season. Its for fitness, marketing and trying out a few new tactics, maybe a little bit of tweaking here and there.
About Fellaini, don't forget that his contract buy out clause ended on July 31st. Thus if we are going to buy Fellaini it will almost certainly be more than the £23.5mill that would have worked in July.

In which case, United will have proven to have the worst transfer department ever.

Gustavo please.
I've watched all the pre season games. I go on RedCafe, and the general consensus is that they mean fudge all. The youngsters have looked promising but the Rooney saga hasn't helped. Not having the entire squad hasn't helped.

I don't know why but before pre season I thought Moyes would do well, not too sure now. Adan's good but he has still got a lot to learn ran with the ball too much yesterday.
Reply 8164
Rooney wants to be the big daddy at Utd currently that position is occupied RVP. RVP is first choice striker and first name on the team sheet. I guess Rooney and his ego can't handle the fact that he's second best and that he has to adjust to accommodate RVP. Moyes favours RVP for first choice striker this season hence Rooney doesn't get want he wants and throws his toys out of the pram.

I guess the contract situation is at the back of his mind also. Ideally when there's two years to go on a contract the best time to renew is now. Utd will argue Rooney hasn't justified a pay rise or the same pay £250,000 a week. Rooney is 27 and this is his last major contact. Why take a lesser contract at Utd when at Chelsea, the team with more money than sense, he can get one last huge payday on a 4 or 5 year contract on the same wages or even get a pay rise whilst at the same time being the main man and first choice striker at Chelsea. His agent probably sees this and want to cash in hence why he's agitating

But surely any normal persons reaction to being 2nd best would be to train hard and become a better player, it has always been argued has wayne rooney lived up to his full potential and i dont think he has. Rooney wanted the club to bring in top players and threatened to leave then when we did he is annoyed he isnt top dog.... stupid.
No way back for Rooney now and what we're doing is not selling him and not getting a replacement which so many teams have done before and it's stupid. We need to get the replacement first then loft him off, it's a shame - we can't actually replace his class. Hope he goes abroad
Original post by That Bearded Man
Chelsea aren't that different to us in the wages department, why the hell would they pay him £250k a week? That would make him the highest earner behind Hazard wouldn't it?

They will pay him £250k because they can. If you look at Chelsea the average wage of each player is higher than Utd's. Mou wants Rooney and he will give Rooney what he wants to make the deal happen. Rooney playing at his best justifies a high wage imo if he moved to Cheslea he would be their best attacker and one of the best players in the team.

Original post by JM1987
But surely any normal persons reaction to being 2nd best would be to train hard and become a better player, it has always been argued has wayne rooney lived up to his full potential and i dont think he has. Rooney wanted the club to bring in top players and threatened to leave then when we did he is annoyed he isnt top dog.... stupid.

That would be the normal reaction for a normal player but from Rooney's POV, why should he have to prove himself again when his record for Utd is brilliant. He feel unloved by Utd in general, I doubt the fans will cheer his name any more and he realises he can get everything he wants at Chelsea and still compete for trophies with a greater coach behind him. Why stay at Utd?
That would be the normal reaction for a normal player but from Rooney's POV, why should he have to prove himself again when his record for Utd is brilliant. He feel unloved by Utd in general, I doubt the fans will cheer his name any more and he realises he can get everything he wants at Chelsea and still compete for trophies with a greater coach behind him. Why stay at Utd?

To become a United legend.
Original post by Manchester United
To become a United legend.

I think he lost the opportunity is become a Utd legend when he successfully held Utd to ransom. It's obvious money is his only motivation
Reply 8169
Hearing that Arsenal have managed to get Gustavo for £14m. If it's true, we really need to up our game and get someone in.
(edited 10 years ago)
oddly enough I don't think an Arsenal fan is the person to listen to on the subject of Rooney...

Moyes isn't stupid, he won't sell Rooney to Chelsea unless they make an offer we can't refuse (£50m+ or £35m+player(s))

that's if Rooney actually does go, chances still are he could stay and even play on Sunday if you believe the papers, I think it's interesting he hasn't said anything in public about it yet, I expect it's another situation of him not being 100% happy but at the same time his agent telling him to keep quiet for more money on his next contract or something.
Original post by That Bearded Man
About Fellaini, don't forget that his contract buy out clause ended on July 31st. Thus if we are going to buy Fellaini it will almost certainly be more than the £23.5mill that would have worked in July.

In which case, United will have proven to have the worst transfer department ever.

Gustavo please.

That clause expiry date is contradictory it seems. July 31st was the first reported one but I've read it's August 15th? But I'd be inclined to believe the former date which if so, means we'll have to pay a heck alot more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8172
Finally found a utd thread .... Woop , @7seun for utd chatts , what do people think about Marco veratti , very good midfielder 20 year old , his value will only get bigger and bigger and if anderson doesnt fill his potential ithink he can be an effective CM oof box to box midfielder .. Opinions ??
Reply 8173
Original post by ManL_Olu
Finally found a utd thread .... Woop , @7seun for utd chatts , what do people think about Marco veratti , very good midfielder 20 year old , his value will only get bigger and bigger and if anderson doesnt fill his potential ithink he can be an effective CM oof box to box midfielder .. Opinions ??

Would be decent but did he not just sign a new contract extension keeping him at PSG till 2018?
Reply 8174
IF moyes doesnt sign anyone ( i pray not ) what would our team look like typically. ..
...________________David ________________
Evra _________Vidic ______Jones___________Rafael
______________Carrick____________________
Anderson _______
Nani ___________Kagawa ______________Young/Zaha
RVP
*This is if rooney goes , which i hope not because moyes doesnt look like he can replace effectivly
Ithink jones will start to certify his role as CB , & do people like valencia ? , i used to but then i began to think he is too predictable when running on the right & cant switch flanks? Overall ithink we have a good 1st team however depth wise we are NOT as good as city or chelsea
Except in the CF role where i think "pea" can be deadly if chance given
Reply 8175
* sorry , anderson in the CM role ( in front of carrick)
* RVP in CF role
Reply 8176
Original post by Sami'
Would be decent but did he not just sign a new contract extension keeping him at PSG till 2018?

Yes he signed a 1 year extention but there are still uncertain rumours flowing about, ithink we would Pip him but i do think he would stay for another year if he gets games because of the talent at the club

IF moyes doesnt sign anyone ( i pray not ) what would our team look like typically. ..
...________________David ________________
Evra _________Vidic ______Jones___________Rafael
______________Carrick____________________
Anderson _______
Nani ___________Kagawa ______________Young/Zaha
RVP
*This is if rooney goes , which i hope not because moyes doesnt look like he can replace effectivly
Ithink jones will start to certify his role as CB , & do people like valencia ? , i used to but then i began to think he is too predictable when running on the right & cant switch flanks? Overall ithink we have a good 1st team however depth wise we are NOT as good as city or chelsea
Except in the CF role where i think "pea" can be deadly if chance given

* sorry , anderson in the CM role ( in front of carrick)
* RVP in CF role

Yes he signed a 1 year extention but there are still uncertain rumours flowing about, ithink we would Pip him but i do think he would stay for another year if he gets games because of the talent at the club

Solid first few posts. Solid. You'll fit right in.
Evans instead of Jones and I agree.
Anderson always does this to us, he always starts well and makes us think that maybe he can make it. Then he gets injured for 4 months and comes back fat.

Latest