The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Dipstick?

Nope, don't think so. It was a metal thing where you look through the viewfinder and half blue half white and then a little graph thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1801
Original post by ABC05
Ooh please could someone remind me the name of the instrument where you put a drop of urine on it, hold it up to the light and read off a little graph thing in the viewfinder? Did that at the vets today but can't remember the name of it for my write up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Refractometer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Ooh please could someone remind me the name of the instrument where you put a drop of urine on it, hold it up to the light and read off a little graph thing in the viewfinder? Did that at the vets today but can't remember the name of it for my write up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Refractometer.

I shall write up about mastitis and galactophoritis (inflammation of the milk ducts , ducts seeing as the milk udder is a gland so secretes something so it has ducts) tomorrow for you all :wink:. Yersinia is a bacteria which can complicate mastitis. Too low magnesium is common (grass staggers), but I've never heard of cases of magnesium toxicity. I guess it could happen but the cow would regulate its intake Im sure?
Never seen a refractometer before, I guess I leaned something new tonight :biggrin:
Reply 1804
That was it! Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha yeah, the farmer showed me one of the massive tubs that the licks come in and told me that they're usually finished within a couple of days! I think bullets cost around £2 per cow if I remember correctly.

Fair enough then - if it works for your farmer - who am I to comment! Fair play to that man :smile:

Out of interest, is it possible for a cow to have too much magnesium (probably wouldn't happen naturally, but if too many licks/too much powder had been provided, for example)? What would be symptoms of that be? :smile:

Er probably but incredibly rare - magnesium blocks calcium channels in high concentrations - this I do know. This could lead to heart and nervous system problems :smile:

I second this. I've never even heard of galactophoritis before :smile:

:lol: I've set skatealexia up for one here :lol:
Mastitis - massive topic is massive :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Fair enough then - if it works for your farmer - who am I to comment! Fair play to that man :smile:

Er probably but incredibly rare - magnesium blocks calcium channels in high concentrations - this I do know. This could lead to heart and nervous system problems :smile:

:lol: I've set skatealexia up for one here :lol:
Mastitis - massive topic is massive :lol:

Nah, I think he uses the powder as well as the licks, he just mentioned the boluses in passing :smile:

I see, thank you :smile:

Haha, sorry :colondollar: ! I know a wee bit about mastitis and I know a few of the causes, symptoms, treatments etc... but that is probably the tip of a very big iceberg!

Original post by Nessie162
Have you guys seen this yet? :smile:
One of the '14 applicants created this website few days ago.

That looks good, although there is literally nothing for London at the moment :tongue: ! I'll try to see if I can send in some updates if I'm not too busy next week :smile:
Reply 1807
Eeeee, I can't wait :biggrin: I don't know how hands-on I'll actually be allowed to get, but even observation is still good! It's quite a big place as well (as usual it's frigging ages away but worth the travel hopefully! :tongue:)

Aww, Walteaster... that's so sweet :colondollar: . I wanna meet your bunny he sounds like such a cutie. The guinea piggies at the farm kept licking me yesterday but I try not to encourage them as is freaks out the kids when they do it :tongue:

If I had a dog I'd take him/her out for walks 24/7 :tongue: I'd be size 0 in no time! :lol:

Yeah, Capaldi was in the Pompeii episode wasn't he? It's cool that they do that, but I imagine it's unintentional :tongue:

Don't worry, I'm a geek too :cool: . All the cool kids are.

It sounds great! There are two parlours near me so I am going to give them a try :wink:. I bet you'll love it!

You bring your ratties and I'll bring my bunny aha! He is a big softie especially after all he has been through. :smile: Aw that's so sweet! How does that freak them out - it sounds so adorable!! :biggrin:

Yeah, I remember him as being good but I can't remember what he done. I remember Gillan was a soothsayer :tongue:. I know it's when you go - I know them! Aha!

Geek is the new hip :cool: :lol:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1808
Original post by chaarlotte
i'm still getting used to being covered by animal waste, but i'm getting there :smile: i'm actually reading 1984 right now because i feel like browsing the daily mail throughout the summer has rotted my brain :P i like it so far although it's a bit confusing.

yeah i remember seeing the shetland ponies and being relieved that i was at least a little taller than them :L okay i'll see u there probably :biggrin: yep i finished earlier - it was more efficient today as i vaguely knew what to do and could put the clusters on/dip the cows quicker. they kicked a lot but i wasn't as scared or apprehensive which meant i could work a lot faster :redface:

I like it too but yes I agree quite confusing - has Oceania taken over the UK? The "Two minutes hate" made me laugh when I first read it :lol:. You will soon begin to cherish the animal waste :tongue:.

Haha, there used to be a large cob-cross pony and a Clydesdale. Imagine grooming them; that was a full body work out! :tongue: I'm the best volunteer :tongue:. the Saturday crew (lol) are in the same year as you, all wanted to be vets but one I now believe wants to study medicine? I'm usually on, on the Sunday with a 3rd year. :smile:

Once you have understanding there is no reason to fear. The cows at the dairy I go to are all surrounding by kick bars so you are highly unlikely to get a bootin' :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
I like it too but yes I agree quite confusing - has Oceania taken over the UK? The "Two minutes hate" made me laugh when I first read it :lol:. You will soon begin to cherish the animal waste :tongue:.

Haha, there used to be a large cob-cross pony and a Clydesdale. Imagine grooming them; that was a full body work out! :tongue: I'm the best volunteer :tongue:. the Saturday crew (lol) are in the same year as you, all wanted to be vets but one I now believe wants to study medicine? I'm usually on, on the Sunday with a 3rd year. :smile:

Once you have understanding there is no reason to fear. The cows at the dairy I go to are all surrounding by kick bars so you are highly unlikely to get a bootin' :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the world not split up into 2 or 3 continents with Oceania being equivalent to the UK or something? I finished like the second chapter and I've sort of abandoned it, but the two minutes hate was funny indeed :P

Aw man, grooming that pony would be a job and a half! Yep you're the best volunteer and modest about it :wink: ah that's good to know that the volunteers are the same age as me, lets hope they aren't anyone from school... Although I seem to be the only person in my year wanting to do vet medicine so hopefully it's ok :P

Haha you're lucky, the farm I go to only had one kick bar that you hook around the cow's waist and the farmer just used it once on a particularly kick-y cow :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1810
Is the world not split up into 2 or 3 continents with Oceania being equivalent to the UK or something? I finished like the second chapter and I've sort of abandoned it, but the two minutes hate was funny indeed :P

Aw man, grooming that pony would be a job and a half! Yep you're the best volunteer and modest about it :wink: ah that's good to know that the volunteers are the same age as me, lets hope they aren't anyone from school... Although I seem to be the only person in my year wanting to do vet medicine so hopefully it's ok :P

Haha you're lucky, the farm I go to only had one kick bar that you hook around the cow's waist and the farmer just used it once on a particularly kick-y cow :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just read some more there, the UK is known as Airstrip One and Oceania seems to have taken over? It's getting gritty, I've been told Part Two gets better. :tongue:

It sure was be he enjoyed it at least and offered to help out with cleaning his hooves by kindly leaning on his opposite side and raising his leg for you :cute:. I wouldn't say there is a best volunteer :colondollar: we are all equal :tongue:. Well the boy is from my school so I know him more but the two girls I don't really know - I've only met them a couple of times but I think they go to school in the central or west end :confused:?

The parlour at the dairy farm is very modern - still manual and not robotic though (I have seen a robotic one at my LA vet WEx). It began being used last December and it is really quite fascinating how it operates by computers. Most of the cows I have seen aren't very kicky, it's usually the heifers that are used to the system. :smile:
Just read some more there, the UK is known as Airstrip One and Oceania seems to have taken over? It's getting gritty, I've been told Part Two gets better. :tongue:

It sure was be he enjoyed it at least and offered to help out with cleaning his hooves by kindly leaning on his opposite side and raising his leg for you :cute:. I wouldn't say there is a best volunteer :colondollar: we are all equal :tongue:. Well the boy is from my school so I know him more but the two girls I don't really know - I've only met them a couple of times but I think they go to school in the central or west end :confused:?

The parlour at the dairy farm is very modern - still manual and not robotic though (I have seen a robotic one at my LA vet WEx). It began being used last December and it is really quite fascinating how it operates by computers. Most of the cows I have seen aren't very kicky, it's usually the heifers that are used to the system. :smile:

Ooh it sounds good :smile: I'd better wipe the dust off my copy and get reading!

Aw that's so cute! Haha well I guess I'll find out who the other people are soon enough :P

I kinda expected the dairy farm to be robotic but then I wouldn't be able to get any work experience :L what's the robotic one like? Speaking of which, I need to get off my butt and contact the LA vets :P also, do you happen to know of any sheep farms? I've googled and trawled through phone directories etc but I've only found lots of dairy farms and the odd poultry farm or two. I know for a fact there are some nearby as I pass fields of sheep all the time :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1812
Ooh it sounds good :smile: I'd better wipe the dust off my copy and get reading!

Aw that's so cute! Haha well I guess I'll find out who the other people are soon enough :P

I kinda expected the dairy farm to be robotic but then I wouldn't be able to get any work experience :L what's the robotic one like? Speaking of which, I need to get off my butt and contact the LA vets :P also, do you happen to know of any sheep farms? I've googled and trawled through phone directories etc but I've only found lots of dairy farms and the odd poultry farm or two. I know for a fact there are some nearby as I pass fields of sheep all the time :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! :smile:

It's a bit different the orthodox way. Cows walk into a singular crush-style mechanism at their own accord. Their tag is identified by the machine upon entering and cake is dispensed during the milking. There is a robotic arm which identifies each teat and places the respective cluster cup onto them. The volume of milk that would be drawn from the cow is calculated by how many times a day it enters the machine, how much milk it can produce in a day etc. There is a limit - if a cow enters the machine too many times - where it won't dispense any cake for a free meal :tongue:. so there are similarities but it isn't as uniform and there is no parlour just large mechanical stalls attached to the sheds.

Well I do as I have been lambing but I don't know if I would be allowed to distribute the contact since I received it privately via a vet nurse who used to work at my previous LT placement at a SA vets. However, I may be able to give you the area and if you were to google it and find the contact on the Internet.... But I wouldn't feel comfortable telling everyone about the place if they didn't want to be out there if you get what I mean? Sorry, anyway I'll PM you the area though if you would like :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! :smile:

It's a bit different the orthodox way. Cows walk into a singular crush-style mechanism at their own accord. Their tag is identified by the machine upon entering and cake is dispensed during the milking. There is a robotic arm which identifies each teat and places the respective cluster cup onto them. The volume of milk that would be drawn from the cow is calculated by how many times a day it enters the machine, how much milk it can produce in a day etc. There is a limit - if a cow enters the machine too many times - where it won't dispense any cake for a free meal :tongue:. so there are similarities but it isn't as uniform and there is no parlour just large mechanical stalls attached to the sheds.

Well I do as I have been lambing but I don't know if I would be allowed to distribute the contact since I received it privately via a vet nurse who used to work at my previous LT placement at a SA vets. However, I may be able to give you the area and if you were to google it and find the contact on the Internet.... But I wouldn't feel comfortable telling everyone about the place if they didn't want to be out there if you get what I mean? Sorry, anyway I'll PM you the area though if you would like :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but when you said 'cake is dispensed during the milking' I imagined rows of Victoria sponges popping out of machines :P anyway, wow it all sounds so modern! It makes manual milking seem so out of date :P

And yes please, if you could PM me the area and I'll look around and see what I can find :smile: thank you so much btw! How am I ever supposed to thank you for all these contacts? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1814
Sorry but when you said 'cake is dispensed during the milking' I imagined rows of Victoria sponges popping out of machines :P anyway, wow it all sounds so modern! It makes manual milking seem so out of date :P

And yes please, if you could PM me the area and I'll look around and see what I can find :smile: thank you so much btw! How am I ever supposed to thank you for all these contacts? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol ahaha! :lol: "Chewing the bun" :tongue:. It does indeed, it was pretty impressive!

Yep, just sent you it! It's no problem don't worry :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol ahaha! :lol: "Chewing the bun" :tongue:. It does indeed, it was pretty impressive!

Yep, just sent you it! It's no problem don't worry :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

got it :biggrin:
Evening all :smile:

It sounds great! There are two parlours near me so I am going to give them a try :wink:. I bet you'll love it!

You bring your ratties and I'll bring my bunny aha! He is a big softie especially after all he has been through. :smile: Aw that's so sweet! How does that freak them out - it sounds so adorable!! :biggrin:

Yeah, I remember him as being good but I can't remember what he done. I remember Gillan was a soothsayer :tongue:. I know it's when you go - I know them! Aha!

Geek is the new hip :cool: :lol:!

Thanks! You should totally give them a ring, yeah! :smile:

Tripod bunny can meet Rinny the stitch eater :tongue: Prepare yourself for licky ratty kisses :tongue: ! Poor little lump is on Panacur at the moment.

The kids get scared because they think the piggies are going to bite them, that's all :tongue: I've seen my fair share of tears and sudden tantrums :rolleyes:

What do you mean 'new' hip? As if being a geek hasn't always been hip :wink: ?
Reply 1817
Evening all :smile:

Thanks! You should totally give them a ring, yeah! :smile:

Tripod bunny can meet Rinny the stitch eater :tongue: Prepare yourself for licky ratty kisses :tongue: ! Poor little lump is on Panacur at the moment.

The kids get scared because they think the piggies are going to bite them, that's all :tongue: I've seen my fair share of tears and sudden tantrums :rolleyes:

What do you mean 'new' hip? As if being a geek hasn't always been hip :wink: ?

Evening Tails, how are you today? :wink:

I've been typing my letters today just need to print them off tomorrow and send them away :biggrin:.

Awww! They would lick each other to death aha! Walter is a big scaredy-cat - anything that moves he's sitting upright, ears erect, preparing to stamp :tongue:. He likes humans though! He has recently befriended my Gran's boxer - they like to nuzzle each other's noses while she gives him a lick. It's so cute :smile:. I meant to ask how she was? Aw, the poor girl - we send our wishes :smile:. How has she been coping?

Kids are hard to please sometimes :tongue:. if I were them I would be stealing all the guineas for myself! :biggrin:

I'm sorry, I underestimated our profound coolness :cool: :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evening Tails, how are you today? :wink:

I'm feeling bleh because I didn't eat until 8:00pm today (friggin' alarm didn't go off so had to dash off in the morning without breakfast and then the farm was really busy so I didn't get time for a lunch break :tongue:), and now I've overeaten :emo: . I have the most ****ed up eating patterns its unbelievable :tongue: .

Woo, fingers crossed you get some good placements sorted! :smile:

Aww, that is so cute, I can't imagine a bunny being friends with a boxer! Walter sounds like one of my buns, Cookie. It's odd that I have one bunny afraid of her own shadow and one that is as bold as anything, but there you go :smile: . Wriggly Rin has been a bit wobbly as of late. She hasn't been climbing a lot, but her ratty friends take it in turns to keep her company in her little shoebox at the bottom of the cage. The vet suspects that she might have E.cuniculi, hence the Panacur, but she doesn't seem to mind it (probably because it gets mixed with chocolate spread, spreadable cheese etc just so that she'll eat it :wink: ) Anyway, I saw an advertisement for two little rescue hoodie girls on the Facebook page of my rat breeder :mmm: ... TAILS STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER, NOW.

Haha, same here. I used to spend ages in the petting areas of farms when I was a kid! :biggrin:

Bow ties are cool :cool:
Reply 1819
I'm feeling bleh because I didn't eat until 8:00pm today (friggin' alarm didn't go off so had to dash off in the morning without breakfast and then the farm was really busy so I didn't get time for a lunch break :tongue:), and now I've overeaten :emo: . I have the most ****ed up eating patterns its unbelievable :tongue: .

Woo, fingers crossed you get some good placements sorted! :smile:

Aww, that is so cute, I can't imagine a bunny being friends with a boxer! Walter sounds like one of my buns, Cookie. It's odd that I have one bunny afraid of her own shadow and one that is as bold as anything, but there you go :smile: . Wriggly Rin has been a bit wobbly as of late. She hasn't been climbing a lot, but her ratty friends take it in turns to keep her company in her little shoebox at the bottom of the cage. The vet suspects that she might have E.cuniculi, hence the Panacur, but she doesn't seem to mind it (probably because it gets mixed with chocolate spread, spreadable cheese etc just so that she'll eat it :wink: ) Anyway, I saw an advertisement for two little rescue hoodie girls on the Facebook page of my rat breeder :mmm: ... TAILS STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER, NOW.

Haha, same here. I used to spend ages in the petting areas of farms when I was a kid! :biggrin:

Bow ties are cool :cool:

Haha, (if I don't say so myself) I am surprised that I am not overweight with the mass of food I consume :tongue:. I can be similar some days I can eat loads and the next eat very little in comparison :lol:.

Thank ya! :awesome:

I know, the most unlikeliest of friends! Haha opposite attract :smile:. I would like to rescue a doe for Walter but I would wonder how he would cope around other rabbits after being isolated from others for two years (I would have took two if I could've back then).

Aw poor Rin. Is that not quite rare in rats? I have heard a few bunnies getting it. Does it have a very similar effect? Aw wee Rinnie! Tell me the page and will adopt them first to remove temptation :tongue:.

Haha, we were the weird kids, kidding :lol:!

I always liked that line - and when he used on a fez aha! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending