The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feartheunknown
Does having a masters help with employability, because overall, I have read, it doesn't at all? Unless it was an integrated masters course with your undergraduate degree (ie 4 consecutive years)

Well it can't hurt. My partner was told by his employer that they looked favorably upon his (Science based) Masters.

It is sometimes hard to know exactly what/who the school is looking for. If nothing else, if you were neck and neck with another candidate in every other aspect, your Masters could be the deal breaker.
Reply 2301
Hi guys, I was wondering if I could have some people's opinions whom have done (or currently doing) their PGCE.

I start mine on the 2nd September (eek!), however I still have a part time job. Now the job have spoken to me, and agreed to leave it open for me for weekend shifts (often 9:30am-8pm time slots). I am currently in two minds about whether to keep it. I am aware of the excessive nature that this PGCE is going to have on me, my time, and those around me, however, like many, the extra bit of income would help me.

What are people's views on keeping a job during their PGCE year? Has anyone on here done it? Would you recommend it or would you recommend not having one. I am aware of the amount of time this PGCE is going to under take, which is why I am umming and arring about keeping the job.

Many advice would be much appreciated.
Original post by RMC21
Hi guys, I was wondering if I could have some people's opinions whom have done (or currently doing) their PGCE.

I start mine on the 2nd September (eek!), however I still have a part time job. Now the job have spoken to me, and agreed to leave it open for me for weekend shifts (often 9:30am-8pm time slots). I am currently in two minds about whether to keep it. I am aware of the excessive nature that this PGCE is going to have on me, my time, and those around me, however, like many, the extra bit of income would help me.

What are people's views on keeping a job during their PGCE year? Has anyone on here done it? Would you recommend it or would you recommend not having one. I am aware of the amount of time this PGCE is going to under take, which is why I am umming and arring about keeping the job.

Well I never did any school work on a Saturday so theoretically you would have time, but I would much rather spend that time doing stuff for me (even if that's laundry, shopping etc).

Having said that I know somebody who did work at the weekends for most (if not all) of the PGCE and managed just fine.

If you can pick and choose, working when you are due to go to lectures the following week will be more manageable than when you're on placement.
Original post by *Darcie*
Well it can't hurt. My partner was told by his employer that they looked favorably upon his (Science based) Masters.

It is sometimes hard to know exactly what/who the school is looking for. If nothing else, if you were neck and neck with another candidate in every other aspect, your Masters could be the deal breaker.

Thanks!!!!!!!! I'm about to enter my final year of my Biology BSc and I am debating whether or not to start my PGCE straight after or do a MSc in Neuroscience or Plant Biochemistry. I'm in a bit of a dichotomy so I am trying to gather all the pros and cons of both options! Thanks for giving my another for my list :smile: The 9000 pound fee is on the other end of the scale :/
Anyone on Skype? I'm a bit bored...
Need to buy some clothes for my placement. I'm doing primary and am a guy. Was wondering whether going to school with a plain polo and chino would be okay? How were the men, especially those on the PGCE, dressed? I also plan to go with a shirt (sleeve rolled up) some days. A mix of both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Advice
Need to buy some clothes for my placement. I'm doing primary and am a guy. Was wondering whether going to school with a plain polo and chino would be okay? How were the men, especially those on the PGCE, dressed? I also plan to go with a shirt (sleeve rolled up) some days. A mix of both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would go smart on the first day then take it from there. Some schools are relaxed about how they let people dress (and in my last placement guys seemed to be allowed to dress much more casually than girls actually) but for some schools even a polo will be too casual.
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
I would go smart on the first day then take it from there. Some schools are relaxed about how they let people dress (and in my last placement guys seemed to be allowed to dress much more casually than girls actually) but for some schools even a polo will be too casual.

Thanks for that. Yeah I think first day I'll go smart - shirt, trousers and shoes but not a suit jacket as that will be overboard I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that. Yeah I think first day I'll go smart - shirt, trousers and shoes but not a suit jacket as that will be overboard I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a good call :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all my placements male staff wore smart trousers, shirts and a tie, no suit jacket though! So i would definitely dress smartly for the first week or so and then. maybe bring it down gradually if it feels apropriately
Hey guys, a bit of an unusual question, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before I get in touch with Student Finance. I was ill for part of my course last year, which means I'll be completing my final placement next school term, hopefully September - December. I was just wondering if anyone knew if I'd be able to get an extension on my student loan to cover the next few months whilst I'm not earning?
Reply 2311
Original post by RMC21

I personally would not have been able to manage this. But that's me! I don't cope very well with two different 'jobs' as it were going on.

Pretty much imagine that the PGCE is a full time job, plus self-study around it. If you think you can fit in another job that's fine... I know one girl who did, and she managed it but it did very much take its toll on her, mainly just the fact she felt she never had time to just rest.

xxx
There's no way I could've worked part-time. I was completely exhausted. Although I am a mother so my free time was very much taken up with my daughter!
I start my PGCE in Sept! I'm just a bit worried because the experience I've had is more observation based, I did have one to one sessions with kids but I didn't teach the class anything? Like actually be a teacher? So I'm afraid when I eventually start a placement I'll be so nervous etc??

Is there anything we should be doing before the PGCE starts? I suck at Maths so Imm guessing I should revise again?? (I'm doing Upper Primary PGCE)

What is a book must have book for the course??

Thanks to everyone, the tips have been really helpful!well done on your new jobs.
Original post by moltebene3
I start my PGCE in Sept! I'm just a bit worried because the experience I've had is more observation based, I did have one to one sessions with kids but I didn't teach the class anything? Like actually be a teacher? So I'm afraid when I eventually start a placement I'll be so nervous etc??

Is there anything we should be doing before the PGCE starts? I suck at Maths so Imm guessing I should revise again?? (I'm doing Upper Primary PGCE)

Thanks to everyone, the tips have been really helpful!well done on your new jobs.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about subject revision because when you're teaching, you'll have planned the lesson so you'll know what you're doing on a day to day basis. If you really feel you need it, then do some revising but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

If you're doing upper primary, one of the hardest things I found was behaviour management. Yes, they'll still love stickers but I found that the Year 5-6s especially found things like moving names from the sun to the cloud or whatever a bit too juvenile to take seriously but they're also too young for things like detention (and some schools don't let you keep them in at lunch or break anyway). So it might be useful to look up some strategies for that.
Reply 2315

Don't worry about not having much non-observational experience. I was exactly the same and when we first started they said 'We don't through you straight in, you won't be expected to teach the whole class till 10th October' or similar, I was like 'OMG THAT'S SO SOON!!!'...

It seemed terrifying beforehand! But you really do get in to the swing of it very quickly, once it's done it doesn't seem like such a big deal. And actually it's really nice to look back on how far I've come throughout the year. Just take it one step at a time and remember, they gave you a place because they believe you can do it!!! So you can!!!

I, like flamingoshoes, found the hardest bit was behaviour management (even though I was with younger children). It's just something I didn't have much experience of, and it's much harder to translate theory in to practice for behaviour management (or should I say, I find it much harder!).

So maybe a book on that?

But in general, I'd not worry too much, just relax and enjoy the time, see all your friends!!! You will really appreciate that time spent once you start.

And I found really nice stuff to prepare me was 'thinking of childhood' type stuff - that's what my uni suggested and it was really nice, the kind of reading that helps you think about what the children you teach are going through, which you don't have much time for when trying to juggle everything else on the course!

Books like The Story of Childhood by Libby Brooks, and reading children's books/watching TV/visiting places kids like to go.

xxx
Reply 2316
Indeed, once you've taught your first lesson, it's fine :smile: I'm pretty sure most people say this. I watched even the most shy people in my PGCE really blossom and become really confident at teaching, in a very short space of time. It's not something that takes long to get used to at all. I also had not taught before before doing the course, and had barely really even done presentations.... and I have an anxiety disorder and health condition and was still fine! :smile: - I always feel better for getting up and teaching, in fact, as I love it so much.

I discovered giving presentations feels much harder than teaching. With teaching you have so much interaction with the class... discussions are just like conversations with a group of people that you lead. And asking kids to do things for you... you'd be surprised... sadly, I think, kids are used to taking direction! - I'm actually just finishing up my placement in a training centre with older teens with behavioural problems.... and even with this.... I've rarely had any problems in the classroom and if I have, I've not felt phased.

If you're truly passionate about teaching and right for it, you should be pretty much ok :smile: Sounds like you are, from just your nervous tension to begin! Good luck :smile:

ps, I felt nervous about being asked to start teaching really soon as well! I remember dreading the thought on my first few days at uni for my pgce.... but, honestly, it's fine. One tip is, when you begin observing on placement, try to get the class teacher to let you take wee sections of lessons or wee snippets where you can stand up, get the attention of the class and ask them to do something... then hand it back to her/him... and you'll see, it's not really scary :smile: think of how relaxed the audience/kids are, and think, well, if they're not worried about the lesson, I needn't be! It's them who have to work :wink: and they'll be enjoying having a cool new teacher :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you flamingoshoes, kpwxx and Jess85! Awesome tips! I'm going to have to get a book on behaviour managment! I wouldn't know what to say and after I get angry like if I shout at my bro: I always laugh!! How did everyone deal with misbehaved kids??

I'm in the same boat. I'm just gonna read a bit of 'Learning to Teach in the Primary School' and work on my shape and space in maths as that's what I'm weak at. But we won't go on placement until late September, I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the same boat. I'm just gonna read a bit of 'Learning to Teach in the Primary School' and work on my shape and space in maths as that's what I'm weak at. But we won't go on placement until late September, I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I revised so much for my Maths skills test and I've forgotten everything now :/ Ah! Hopefully, I don't want to go on placement straight away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending