The Student Room Group

Moving into Halls, what are the essentials to bring?

Hi everyone, I'm moving into Halls soon and the thought of gathering supplies and utensils and kitchen stuff and all the rest of it is so daunting cause I literally have no idea where to start. What essential things do you need to bring to Halls?? Keep in mind that I'm moving from N. Ireland to England and have a weight restriction cause of my hold luggage :frown: Although I'm thinking I could just buy things when I'm there? Idk, help!

CT: What to take to uni - the ultimate guide
University room decor - making it look fabulous
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's actuallly a page for this on TSR but I cant seem to find it right now, but I had saved most of it as a Word document, so, here ya go! The only bit I removed was about things for your car etc as I dont drive.

CHECK LIST
Bedding
· Sheets
· Duvet/quilt
· Duvet/quilt covers
· Pillows
· Pillow cases
· Warm blanket/fleece
· Underblanket/mattress protector
· Sleeping bag

Decorative items
· Photos
· Alarm Clock
· Posters
· Money Box/Saving Box
· A poster with your name and course to go on your door (it's inviting for your new flat mates and it can avoid the awkwardness)
· Door wedge (If you keep your bedroom door open you'll make friends with your new housemates much more quickly)
· Hot water bottle
· Desk Lamp
· Clothes wash basket/bin/bag
· Small rubbish bin
Documents

· Passport photos Take at least four, and keep some on you. Also scan some on to your computer to get quick reproductions for less (especially for ID that doesn't really matter)
· Passport
· Driving licence (useful ID)
· National Insurance number
· NHS medical card
· Details of your vaccination history
· Insurance documents
· Confirmation letters of scholarship/bursary etc if appropriate
· Any information from your LEA, the SLC (Student Loans Company) or Student Finance Direct
· Your unconditional offer from the university
· Any documents regarding your accommodation
· Bank debit card
· Paying-in book
· Bank or building society details
· Travel discount cards (16-25 Railcard etc) Great for cheap travel home
· CV and references
· CRB check - applicant's copy (if required by your course)
· Exam certificates
· Oyster card (If in London; student Oyster cards are also available)
[edit]Electrical Items/PC etc

CHECK what you are allowed to bring to Halls - some Unis have very strict rules about electrical equipment.
· Extension leads Get surge protected ones to protect valuable equipment
· Socket converter (if you are an international student)
· Computer/laptop (if buying a new laptop, get the lightest one you can)
· Laptop case/bag
· Chargers
· Mouse/mat
· Small b&w printer (you will have access to Library printers etc, but a small one in your room is always handy)
· USB memory sticks
· Packet of copy paper
· Ink (colour & black for inkjet, toner for laser)
· Mobile phone
· Charger
· Headphones
· Digital camera
· Batteries (rechargeable?)
· Television
· Small CD player
· CDs & wallet/case
· MP3 player/iPod
· USB lead (charger)
· Docking station
· Alarm clock
· Wall clock
· Hair dryer
· Hair straighteners/curling tongs
· Iron & Ironing board (only if you arent in Halls)
[edit]First aid items

· Prescription medication including contraceptives
· Painkillers
· Antiseptic cream
· Cold/flu remedy
· Throat lozenges
· Anti-allergy tablets
· Suncream
· Aftersun
· Nail Scissors
· Tweezers
· Plasters
· Earplugs

Tips:
· Register with a local GP on arrival
· Keep the number for local doctors surgery/dentist
· Keep a number for next of kin in your phone under NOK or ICE (next of kin or in case of emergency)
· Familiarise yourself with where the local A&E and drop-in centres are
· Remember 111 for non-emergency medical advice (or NHS24 in Scotland - 08454 242424)
· 999 for emergencies
· If you suffer with long-term conditions such as diabetes and epilepsy, keep an ID bracelet/locket/book with your name, age, condition, medical list and number to phone with you, just in case. Make sure your neighbours in Halls of Residences know what your condition is and where vital medication is kept.
[edit]Kitchen Items

[edit]Equipment
Obviously you dont need any of this if you are living in a fully catered Halls of Residence. Even in self-catering CHECK what is provided before you go out and buy stuff.
· Small casserole dish
· Small frying pan
· Wok or large frying pan (with lid)
· Large saucepan (with lid)
· Small saucepan (with lid)
· Flat baking tray (for oven chips!)
· Tin opener
· Bottle opener (you will become very popular with this)
· Corkscrew
· Vegetable peeler
· Garlic crusher
· Cheese grater
· Wooden spoons or spatulas
· Masher
· Microwavable bowl
· Mixing bowl
· Measuring jug
· Pizza cutter
· Sieve
· Colander
· Whisk
· Chopping knives
· Chopping board
· Lemon squeezer
· Kitchen scissors
· T-towels
[edit]Storage
· Tupperware (plastic tubs for storing leftovers. Write something on the lids and the tubs to prevent them going missing)
· Sandwich bags
· Biscuit tin
· Cling film (for covering bowls of things like baked beans. You shouldn't put tins in the fridge!)
· tin foil
· Plastic drinks bottle (fill it up with squash and take it with you rather than buying bottled drinks - saves money)
[edit]Tableware
· Glasses (wine glasses, shot glasses, pint glasses, tumblers, high-ball)
· Cutlery (knives, forks, spoons) Tip - taking just one or two of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away but make sure you have enough to have people over for a takeaway dinner
· Crockery (plates, bowls, mugs, cups)
[edit]Other
· Tea towels
· Baking foil
· Greaseproof paper
· Washing-up liquid
· Bin bags
· Recipe book/ instructions from your mum
· Sandwich bags/Tupperware box for DIY lunches
[edit]Laundry and housekeeping items

· Washing powder
· Fabric softener
· Laundry bag
· Drying rack (university may provide)
· Coat hangers
[edit]Miscellaneous Items

· Loose change (for washing machines)
· Extra storage boxes, shelves, hanging pocket organizer, etc.
· Holdall or weekend bag - a wheely suitcase is useful for lugging crates of alcohol back from the supermarket!
· Rucksacks are useful for carrying items around leaving your hands free, or if you like walking (D of E nostalgia!)
· Handbags for nights/days out
· Torch (wind-up ones are best!)
· Safety pins
· Small sewing kit
· Small screwdriver
· Watch - always good for suddenly realising you've got a lecture in two minutes!
· Door wedge
· Card games
· Sports equipment
· Musical instrument(s)
· Local taxi number
· Local map
· Local doctor's Number
· Local dentist number
· 0800 REVERSE or 0800 MUM DAD (for reverse charge calls)
· Super Glue - very useful for fixing things
· Water bottle
· UV pen to mark valuables so if they're stolen and then found again by the police they can be returned to you
· Winter boots
[edit]Personal items

· Prescription glasses
· Copy of prescription
Spare pair of glasses
Contact lenses
· Contact lens solution(s)
Brace/retainer and accessories
[edit]Stationery Items

· Push-pins
· Pack of cheap copy paper for printing
· A4 file paper / notebooks with tear out sheets
· Jotter or reporter pad
· Pen drive/memory stick
· Pens
· Pencils
· Highlighters
· Permanent all-surface markers (useful for marking what's yours! & when someone passes out)
· Ruler
· Eraser
· Sharpener
· Tippex
· Pencil case
· Pen pot (ones with multiple pots can store paperclips, staples, etc. as well as the usual pens and pencils)
· White Tack or Blu Tack
· Scissors
· Sellotape
· Hole puncher
· Stapler
· Staples
· Paper clips
· Post-it Notes or flag markers
· Elastic bands
· A4 ring binders
· Lever-arch folders
· Hole-reinforcers
· Paper/plastic wallets
Envelopes
Stamps
Calculator (especially if you're doing maths, but even if you're doing English Literature)
· Spare batteries

Items to Take to University for Fancy Dress
§ School Tie
§ School Shirt
§ School Trousers or Shirt
§ Permanent Marker
§ A Selection of Face Paints
§ Gangster Hat/Cowboy Hat
§ Hawaiian or Beach themed T-shirt.
§ Clothes you don’t mind having destroyed, ripped a bit or written on.
Except io wouldn't bring it all - I'd maybe put together a tesco or Argos or wilkinson delivery to be delivered to your halls a day or so after moving in, and then plan a trip to IKEA or something - we had an IKEA trip in freshers week at my uni
Reply 3
That is such a load of rubbish.

Literally.
Reply 4
CHECK LIST
Bedding
· Sheets
· Duvet/quilt
· Duvet/quilt covers
· Pillows
· Pillow cases
· Warm blanket/fleece
· Underblanket/mattress protector Are you in the habit of bedwetting?
· Sleeping bag Are you intending to go camping?

Decorative items
· Photos
· Alarm Clock Yes, that all-important decorative alarm clock.
· Posters
· Money Box/Saving Box That's a good one. I'm actually laughing.
· A poster with your name and course to go on your door (it's inviting for your new flat mates and it can avoid the awkwardness) Because this can't be manufactured from the extensive stationery list below?
· Door wedge (If you keep your bedroom door open you'll make friends with your new housemates much more quickly) The idea that you should need to buy one and bring it with you is absurd.
· Hot water bottle I suppose if you are a mature student - say 70 years old.
· Desk Lamp
· Small rubbish bin

CHECK what you are allowed to bring to Halls - some Unis have very strict rules about electrical equipment.
· Computer/laptop (if buying a new laptop, get the lightest one you can) Because money grows on trees.
· Laptop case/bag
· Chargers
· Mouse/mat
· Small b&w printer (you will have access to Library printers etc, but a small one in your room is always handy) Oh, ok. Just bring a printer just in case?
· USB memory sticks
· Packet of copy paper
· Ink (colour & black for inkjet, toner for laser) Who wrote this list? A small printer - but it might be a laser? So just bring a spare £120 toner??
· Mobile phone
· Charger
· Headphones
· Digital camera What year was this list made? What next? Why not just bring a Polaroid for those instant snaps??
· Television Seriously?
· Small CD playerAgain, what year is this? 1995?
· CDs & wallet/case The next item would seem to make this one redundant.
· MP3 player/iPod
· USB lead (charger)
· Docking station
· Alarm clock
· Wall clock
· Hair dryer
· Iron & Ironing board (only if you arent in Halls) I know people who have joined the Army and gone 20 years without owning their own ironing board.
[edit]First aid items

· Prescription medication including contraceptives If you are male, this is optimism beyond the point of hilarity.
· Painkillers
· Antiseptic cream
· Cold/flu remedy
· Throat lozenges
· Anti-allergy tabletsThis is all basically a hypochondriac's charter.
· Suncream Where are you going to read History? University of Cyprus? It's going to be October
· Aftersun
· Nail Scissors
· Tweezers
· Plasters
· Earplugs

[edit]Kitchen Items

[edit]Equipment
Obviously you dont need any of this if you are living in a fully catered Halls of Residence. Even in self-catering CHECK what is provided before you go out and buy stuff.
· Small casserole dish
· Small frying pan
· Tin opener
· Corkscrew
· Vegetable peeler
· Garlic crusher
· Cheese grater
· Masher
· Microwavable bowl
· Mixing bowl
· Measuring jug
· Pizza cutter
· Sieve
· Colander
· Whisk
· Chopping knives
· Chopping board
· Lemon squeezer
· Kitchen scissors
· T-towels
[edit]Storage
· Tupperware (plastic tubs for storing leftovers. Write something on the lids and the tubs to prevent them going missing)
· Sandwich bags
· Biscuit tin
· Cling film (for covering bowls of things like baked beans. You shouldn't put tins in the fridge!)
· tin foil
· Plastic drinks bottle (fill it up with squash and take it with you rather than buying bottled drinks - saves money)
[edit]Tableware
· Cutlery (knives, forks, spoons) Tip - taking just one or two of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away but make sure you have enough to have people over for a takeaway dinner
[edit]Other
· Tea towels
· Baking foil
· Greaseproof paper
· Washing-up liquid
· Bin bags

This entire section is nonsense. Firstly, any kitchen utensils you take should be commensurate with your actual ability to cook. Most students I know can't make a glass of water.
A mug, a spoon, a plastic plate and bowl, and a tea towel are probably enough to start with.

· Washing powder
· Fabric softener
· Laundry bag

· Coat hangers

· Loose change (for washing machines) AKA money
· Holdall or weekend bag - a wheely suitcase is useful for lugging crates of alcohol back from the supermarket!
· Rucksacks are useful for carrying items around leaving your hands free, or if you like walking (D of E nostalgia!)
· Torch (wind-up ones are best!) Will never get used
· Safety pins
· Small sewing kit
Joke items
· Small screwdriver
· Watch - always good for suddenly realising you've got a lecture in two minutes!
· Door wedge So important, it's on the list twice.
· Card games There will be nothing else to do except play Uno. I get it.
· Sports equipment
· Musical instrument(s)
· Local taxi number
· Local map
· Local doctor's Number
· Local dentist number

· Super Glue - very useful for fixing thingsThanks for that. So is a spanner, but I wouldn't take one to university.
· Water bottle Contrary to popular belief, Fresher's Week is not in Afghanistan.
· UV pen to mark valuables so if they're stolen and then found again by the police they can be returned to you There's more chance of a Computer Science undergraduate needing those contraceptives (above).
· Winter boots
[edit]Personal items

· Prescription glasses
· Copy of prescription
Spare pair of glasses
Contact lenses
[edit]Stationery Items

· Push-pins
· Jotter or reporter pad
· Pen drive/memory stick
· Pens
· Pencils
· Highlighters
· Permanent all-surface markers (useful for marking what's yours! & when someone passes out)
· Ruler
· Eraser
· Sharpener
· Tippex
· Pencil case
· Pen pot (ones with multiple pots can store paperclips, staples, etc. as well as the usual pens and pencils)
· White Tack or Blu Tack
· Scissors
· Sellotape
· Hole puncher
· Stapler
· Staples
· Paper clips
· Elastic bands
· A4 ring binders
· Lever-arch folders
· Hole-reinforcers
· Paper/plastic wallets
Envelopes
Stamps
Calculator (especially if you're doing maths, but even if you're doing English Literature)
· Spare batteries

I guarantee that all these things will be readily available there, and half of them are completely unnecessary.

§ School Tie
§ School Shirt
§ Permanent Marker
§ Clothes you don’t mind having destroyed, ripped a bit or written on
. Just....no. It's the very definition of desperation to prepare for a theme that you don't know is coming. A selection of face paints????

Reply 5
I've said this before - but a good idea is to make a list (can be an excel file or whatever) of every single thing that you are taking with you to university.

When you go home at Christmas, check the list, and every single thing that you have never ever used (probably about 30% of the list), take it home and don't bring it back.

When you graduate, look at the list again, and laugh at TSR.
Reply 6
Half the stuff in that long list is barely 'essential'.
Reply 7
Mattress protesters are useful when:
A) you realise how grimy the mattress is
B) you accidentally vom on your bed in freshers week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
CHECK LIST
Bedding
· Sheets
· Duvet/quilt
· Duvet/quilt covers
· Pillows
· Pillow cases
· Warm blanket/fleece
· Underblanket/mattress protector Are you in the habit of bedwetting? Actually quite a good idea if you are into getting totally drunk and throwing up everywhere...
· Sleeping bag Are you intending to go camping? - useful if you are having visitors/ as an extra blanket if the heating's rubbish

Decorative items
· Photos
· Alarm Clock Yes, that all-important decorative alarm clock. - You do realise that students aren't exactly the best at getting up on time!
· Posters
· Money Box/Saving Box That's a good one. I'm actually laughing. - Where else are you meant to put your loose change? I always have a money box for coppers + 5p/ 10ps etc. since otherwise they weigh down my wallet. You can actually save up quite a lot in loose change over the year!
· A poster with your name and course to go on your door (it's inviting for your new flat mates and it can avoid the awkwardness)
Because this can't be manufactured from the extensive stationery list below? - Sometimes it's nice to have a few things prepared/ a nice printed-off poster
· Door wedge (If you keep your bedroom door open you'll make friends with your new housemates much more quickly) The idea that you should need to buy one and bring it with you is absurd. - I highly doubt that many halls would provide one!
· Hot water bottle I suppose if you are a mature student - say 70 years old. - what if the heating's rubbish?
· Desk Lamp
· Small rubbish bin

· Computer/laptop (if buying a new laptop, get the lightest one you can) Because money grows on trees. - A computer/ laptop is pretty much essential, and you can pick some up pretty cheap if you don't need a top-spec one
· Laptop case/bag
· Chargers
· Mouse/mat
· Small b&w printer (you will have access to Library printers etc, but a small one in your room is always handy) Oh, ok. Just bring a printer just in case? - Although most unis will have printing facilities, they often charge and it could be quite a walk to the library from halls.
· USB memory sticks
· Packet of copy paper
· Ink (colour & black for inkjet, toner for laser) Who wrote this list? A small printer - but it might be a laser? So just bring a spare £120 toner?? - this list was compiled by many students, and it is possible that a few may have a laser printer as a hand-me-down from relatives (although you would be stupid to waste your money on one new...)
· Mobile phone
· Charger
· Headphones
· Digital camera What year was this list made? What next? Why not just bring a Polaroid for those instant snaps?? - some phones don't have cameras, and if you have a digital camera it would be nice to have some photos of your time at uni
· Television Seriously? - have to agree with you here...
· Small CD playerAgain, what year is this? 1995? - and here...
· CDs & wallet/case The next item would seem to make this one redundant. - I guess this list was started quite a few years ago...
· MP3 player/iPod
· USB lead (charger)
· Docking station
· Alarm clock
· Wall clock
· Hair dryer
· Iron & Ironing board (only if you arent in Halls) I know people who have joined the Army and gone 20 years without owning their own ironing board. - some of us do like uncreased clothes...
[edit]First aid items

· Prescription medication including contraceptives If you are male, this is optimism beyond the point of hilarity. - actually there is a male contraceptive which is considerably easier and has less side effects/ long term effects than some female contraceptive pills.
· Painkillers
· Antiseptic cream
· Cold/flu remedy
· Throat lozenges
· Anti-allergy tabletsThis is all basically a hypochondriac's charter. - some basic medicines is essential, especially anti-allergy tablets for us hayfever sufferers.
· Suncream Where are you going to read History? University of Cyprus? It's going to be October - Yes, but by the end of the uni year it will be summer again... besides you may go on a trip/ holiday somewhere abroad
· Aftersun
· Nail Scissors
· Tweezers
· Plasters
· Earplugs

[edit]Kitchen Items

[edit]Equipment
· Small casserole dish
· Small frying pan
· Tin opener
· Corkscrew
· Vegetable peeler
· Garlic crusher
· Cheese grater
· Masher
· Microwavable bowl
· Mixing bowl
· Measuring jug
· Pizza cutter
· Sieve
· Colander
· Whisk
· Chopping knives
· Chopping board
· Lemon squeezer
· Kitchen scissors
· T-towels
[edit]Storage
· Sandwich bags
· Biscuit tin
· tin foil
[edit]Tableware
[edit]Other
· Tea towels
· Baking foil
· Greaseproof paper
· Washing-up liquid
· Bin bags

This entire section is nonsense. Firstly, any kitchen utensils you take should be commensurate with your actual ability to cook. Most students I know can't make a glass of water. - actually some of us enjoy cooking, and can't afford/ stomach take-aways/ eating in halls/ ready-meals all the time.
A mug, a spoon, a plastic plate and bowl, and a tea towel are probably enough to start with. - are you planning on eating cereal three meals a day?!

· Washing powder
· Fabric softener
· Laundry bag
- if you're living in a privately-rented/ university owned house, these items may be quite useful...
· Coat hangers

· Torch (wind-up ones are best!) Will never get used - you never know when there might be a power cut...
· Safety pins
· Small sewing kit
Joke items - could be useful for fixing-up a quick dressing-up outfit...
· Small screwdriver
· Card games There will be nothing else to do except play Uno. I get it. - actually a pack of cards could be a great ice-breaker in the first few days to avoid everyone standing awkwardly around in the kitchen...
· Sports equipment
· Musical instrument(s) - what if you want to join the orchestra, or are a music student...
· Local taxi number
· Local map
· Local doctor's Number
· Local dentist number
- this information is actually very useful
· Super Glue - very useful for fixing thingsThanks for that. So is a spanner, but I wouldn't take one to university. - have to agree with you here...
· Water bottle Contrary to popular belief, Fresher's Week is not in Afghanistan. - this is actually useful if you are living a fair way from lectures and don't want to walk all the way back whenever you're thirsty
· UV pen to mark valuables so if they're stolen and then found again by the police they can be returned to you
There's more chance of a Computer Science undergraduate needing those contraceptives (above). - this was actually a good suggestion, particularly if you have several valuable items which you use all the time (e.g. phone, laptop, musical instruments)
· Winter boots
[edit]Personal items

· Prescription glasses
· Copy of prescription
Spare pair of glasses
Contact lenses
[edit]Stationery Items

· Push-pins
· Jotter or reporter pad
· Pen drive/memory stick
· Pens
· Pencils
· Highlighters
· Ruler
· Eraser
· Sharpener
· Tippex
· Pencil case
· White Tack or Blu Tack
· Scissors
· Sellotape
· Hole puncher
· Stapler
· Staples
· Paper clips
· Elastic bands
· A4 ring binders
· Lever-arch folders
· Hole-reinforcers
· Paper/plastic wallets
Envelopes
Stamps
· Spare batteries

I guarantee that all these things will be readily available there, and half of them are completely unnecessary. - some are completely unnecessary, true, but it would be a good idea to bring along a basic pencil case, particularly if you have everything lying around at home anyway, to save you buying it all again

§ School Tie
§ School Shirt
§ Permanent Marker
. Just....no. It's the very definition of desperation to prepare for a theme that you don't know is coming. A selection of face paints???? - fancy-dress events are quite popular at freshers week

This list was intended to cover all bases - not everyone needs everything on it!
Reply 9
Original post by Clip
CHECK LIST
Bedding
· Sheets
· Duvet/quilt
· Duvet/quilt covers
· Pillows
· Pillow cases
· Warm blanket/fleece

Decorative items
· Photos
· Posters
· A poster with your name and course to go on your door (it's inviting for your new flat mates and it can avoid the awkwardness) Because this can't be manufactured from the extensive stationery list below?
· Door wedge (If you keep your bedroom door open you'll make friends with your new housemates much more quickly) The idea that you should need to buy one and bring it with you is absurd.
· Desk Lamp
· Small rubbish bin

· Computer/laptop (if buying a new laptop, get the lightest one you can) Because money grows on trees.
· Laptop case/bag
· Chargers
· Mouse/mat
· Small b&w printer (you will have access to Library printers etc, but a small one in your room is always handy) Oh, ok. Just bring a printer just in case?
· USB memory sticks
· Packet of copy paper
· Ink (colour & black for inkjet, toner for laser) Who wrote this list? A small printer - but it might be a laser? So just bring a spare £120 toner??
· Mobile phone
· Charger
· Headphones
· Digital camera What year was this list made? What next? Why not just bring a Polaroid for those instant snaps??
· Television Seriously?
· MP3 player/iPod
· USB lead (charger)
· Docking station
· Alarm clock
· Wall clock
· Hair dryer
· Iron & Ironing board (only if you arent in Halls) I know people who have joined the Army and gone 20 years without owning their own ironing board.
[edit]First aid items

· Prescription medication including contraceptives If you are male, this is optimism beyond the point of hilarity.
· Painkillers
· Antiseptic cream
· Cold/flu remedy
· Throat lozenges
· Suncream Where are you going to read History? University of Cyprus? It's going to be October
· Aftersun
· Nail Scissors
· Tweezers
· Plasters
· Earplugs

[edit]Kitchen Items

[edit]Equipment
· Small casserole dish
· Small frying pan
· Tin opener
· Corkscrew
· Vegetable peeler
· Garlic crusher
· Cheese grater
· Masher
· Microwavable bowl
· Mixing bowl
· Measuring jug
· Pizza cutter
· Sieve
· Colander
· Whisk
· Chopping knives
· Chopping board
· Lemon squeezer
· Kitchen scissors
· T-towels
[edit]Storage
· Sandwich bags
· Biscuit tin
· tin foil
[edit]Tableware
[edit]Other
· Tea towels
· Baking foil
· Greaseproof paper
· Washing-up liquid
· Bin bags

This entire section is nonsense. Firstly, any kitchen utensils you take should be commensurate with your actual ability to cook. Most students I know can't make a glass of water.
A mug, a spoon, a plastic plate and bowl, and a tea towel are probably enough to start with.

· Washing powder
· Fabric softener
· Laundry bag

· Coat hangers

· Safety pins
· Small sewing kit
Joke items
· Small screwdriver
· Sports equipment
· Musical instrument(s)
· Local taxi number
· Local map
· Local doctor's Number
· Local dentist number

· Super Glue - very useful for fixing thingsThanks for that. So is a spanner, but I wouldn't take one to university.
· Water bottle Contrary to popular belief, Fresher's Week is not in Afghanistan.
· UV pen to mark valuables so if they're stolen and then found again by the police they can be returned to you There's more chance of a Computer Science undergraduate needing those contraceptives (above).
· Winter boots
[edit]Personal items

· Prescription glasses
· Copy of prescription
Spare pair of glasses
Contact lenses
[edit]Stationery Items

· Push-pins
· Jotter or reporter pad
· Pen drive/memory stick
· Pens
· Pencils
· Highlighters
· Ruler
· Eraser
· Sharpener
· Tippex
· Pencil case
· White Tack or Blu Tack
· Scissors
· Sellotape
· Hole puncher
· Stapler
· Staples
· Paper clips
· Elastic bands
· A4 ring binders
· Lever-arch folders
· Hole-reinforcers
· Paper/plastic wallets
Envelopes
Stamps
· Spare batteries

I guarantee that all these things will be readily available there, and half of them are completely unnecessary.

§ School Tie
§ School Shirt
§ Permanent Marker
. Just....no. It's the very definition of desperation to prepare for a theme that you don't know is coming. A selection of face paints????

my uni required us to bring our own mattress protector for hygeine reasons. as far as the kitchen list goes, yes it may be rather extensive and some students come unprepared but a baking tray is definitley on the essentials list. and you never know what the weather will be like when you start uni. when i started uni it was scorching and we were in shorts until october.
Reply 10
the list above covers it, even though not everything on it is necessary

you can take the spare kitchen crockery from home.
Make a list of everything you'd normally use.

Also, it mentions CDs - can be useful if you need to write / save your work. On my sister's course, they had to hand their dissertation in on a CD. :s-smilie:

But yeah, you won't need a lot of that stuff.
Just to annoy Mr. Grumpy above, I'll go through this and bold what I actually used.

CHECK LIST
Bedding
· Sheets
· Duvet/quilt
· Duvet/quilt covers
· Pillows
· Pillow cases
· Warm blanket/fleece
· Underblanket/mattress protector

· Sleeping bag

Decorative items
· Photos
· Alarm Clock
· Posters
· Money Box/Saving Box
· Door wedge (If you keep your bedroom door open you'll make friends with your new housemates much more quickly)
· Hot water bottle - i have crap circulation to my hands & feet, so this was a godsend in the winter.
· Desk Lamp
· Small rubbish bin

Electrical Items/PC etc

· Computer/laptop
· Laptop case/bag
· Chargers

· Mouse/mat
· Small b&w printer 2 of my flatmates had printers, if I couldnt be bothered to go to the library, I'd borrow theirs.
· USB memory sticks
· Packet of copy paper
· Ink (colour & black for inkjet, toner for laser)
· Mobile phone
· Charger
· Headphones

· Digital camera
· MP3 player/iPod
· USB lead (charger)
· Docking station
· Hair dryer

· Iron & Ironing board (only if you arent in Halls)

]First aid items

· Prescription medication including contraceptives
· Painkillers
· Antiseptic cream
· Cold/flu remedy
· Throat lozenges
· Anti-allergy tablets
· Suncream

· Aftersun
· Nail Scissors
· Tweezers
· Plasters
· Earplugs

Kitchen Items

· Small casserole dish
· Small frying pan
· Tin opener
· Corkscrew
· Vegetable peeler

· Garlic crusher
· Cheese grater
· Masher
· Microwavable bowl
· Mixing bowl
· Measuring jug

· Pizza cutter
· Sieve
· Colander

· Whisk
· Chopping knives
· Chopping board

· Lemon squeezer
· Kitchen scissors
· T-towels

[edit]Storage
· Sandwich bags

· Biscuit tin
· tin foil
· Plastic drinks bottle
(fill it up with squash and take it with you rather than buying bottled drinks - saves money)
[edit]Tableware
[edit]Other
· Tea towels
· Baking foil
· Greaseproof paper
· Washing-up liquid
· Bin bags

· Washing powder
· Fabric softener
· Laundry bag
· Coat hangers

· Safety pins
· Small sewing kit

· Small screwdriver
· Card games
· Sports equipment
· Musical instrument(s)
· Local taxi number
· Local map

· Local doctor's Number
· Local dentist number
· Super Glue - very useful for fixing things
· Water bottle
·
· Winter boots
[edit]Personal items

· Prescription glasses
· Copy of prescription

Spare pair of glasses
Contact lenses

I definitely agree with anyone who says leave buying your stationary until you arrive. Folders and things can take up quite a bit of room, and i suppose it gives you something to do for a few hours.
Reply 13
I took no kitchen utensils. No plates, mugs, cutlery or crockery at all. My 5 flatmates bought a set each so we had 25 plates between us for the year. I managed just fine - seriously take all the stuff you'll need, bedding and whatnot but the essential lists really are taking into account everything you'll ever encounter.
Original post by Clip
CHECK LIST
Bedding
· Sheets
· Duvet/quilt
· Duvet/quilt covers
· Pillows
· Pillow cases
· Warm blanket/fleece

Decorative items
· Photos
· Posters
· Desk Lamp
· Small rubbish bin

· Laptop case/bag
· Chargers
· Mouse/mat
· USB memory sticks
· Packet of copy paper
· Mobile phone
· Charger
· Headphones
· Television Seriously?
· MP3 player/iPod
· USB lead (charger)
· Docking station
· Alarm clock
· Wall clock
· Hair dryer
[edit]First aid items

· Painkillers
· Antiseptic cream
· Cold/flu remedy
· Throat lozenges
· Aftersun
· Nail Scissors
· Tweezers
· Plasters
· Earplugs

[edit]Kitchen Items

[edit]Equipment
· Small casserole dish
· Small frying pan
· Tin opener
· Corkscrew
· Vegetable peeler
· Garlic crusher
· Cheese grater
· Masher
· Microwavable bowl
· Mixing bowl
· Measuring jug
· Pizza cutter
· Sieve
· Colander
· Whisk
· Chopping knives
· Chopping board
· Lemon squeezer
· Kitchen scissors
· T-towels
[edit]Storage
· Sandwich bags
· Biscuit tin
· tin foil
[edit]Tableware
[edit]Other
· Tea towels
· Baking foil
· Greaseproof paper
· Washing-up liquid
· Bin bags

· Washing powder
· Fabric softener
· Laundry bag

· Coat hangers

· Safety pins
· Small sewing kit
Joke items
· Small screwdriver
· Sports equipment
· Musical instrument(s)
· Local taxi number
· Local map
· Local doctor's Number
· Local dentist number

· Winter boots
[edit]Personal items

· Prescription glasses
· Copy of prescription
Spare pair of glasses
Contact lenses
[edit]Stationery Items

· Push-pins
· Jotter or reporter pad
· Pen drive/memory stick
· Pens
· Pencils
· Highlighters
· Ruler
· Eraser
· Sharpener
· Tippex
· Pencil case
· White Tack or Blu Tack
· Scissors
· Sellotape
· Hole puncher
· Stapler
· Staples
· Paper clips
· Elastic bands
· A4 ring binders
· Lever-arch folders
· Hole-reinforcers
· Paper/plastic wallets
Envelopes
Stamps
· Spare batteries

§ School Tie
§ School Shirt
§ Permanent Marker

Ow no :mad: I've already purchased everything on this list for uni! Now you're telling me I won't need my door wedge x2 etc.... :coma:
Original post by AccountingBabe
Ow no :mad: I've already purchased everything on this list for uni! Now you're telling me I won't need my door wedge x2 etc.... :coma:

You will use atleast one door wedge. We werent supposed to keep our doors open... We did anyway.
Looks like you have everything covered guys! My advice is to:

Not take a full dinner service, cutlery set, etc. Just take the bare minimum. It will force you to wash up more often!
Take loads of pictures of your friends and family to stick up on your notice boards.
Don't forget any chargers.
Take loo roll!

This video is quite helpful too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAv65CcEIg
Reply 17
Are you lot seriously going to go out and buy all this ****e hahaha
Original post by .snowflake.
You will use atleast one door wedge. We werent supposed to keep our doors open... We did anyway.

Maybe my sarcasm wasn't readable in my post? :rolleyes:
Hey hey hey, dont shoot the messenger! I was just C&Ping what another post said - and as someone else mentioned, that list is anything and everything you could think of. Some stuff on there may be considered essential by someone, even if you dont think so!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending