The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cryl
Haha! Do whatever you gotta do to kill the boredom. Personally, I've never played that :tongue: But I've heard about it. It's just a chat room, right?

Exactly, I spent about an hour on there and then it got shut down by the real Habbo Hotel, I got lucky before I was hooked back into it all!

Kinda yeah, but I used to play it when I was about 9/10 and bet all my furniture... My god it sounds so sad now :frown:
Original post by Cryl
Haha! Do whatever you gotta do to kill the boredom. Personally, I've never played that :tongue: But I've heard about it. It's just a chat room, right?

Probably full of dirty old men looking for little kiddie winks to meet up with at the local clown town.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2502
Original post by Bobilina
Exactly, I spent about an hour on there and then it got shut down by the real Habbo Hotel, I got lucky before I was hooked back into it all!

Kinda yeah, but I used to play it when I was about 9/10 and bet all my furniture... My god it sounds so sad now :frown:

Haha! Last night, I went on Miniclip to look for online games to pass the time. And I felt so sad, thinking "woah... this is what I used to do when I was in year 7!". It made me feel like such a kid. And then I got nostalgic as I started thinking about my life as a year-7 student. No GCSEs, no A-Levels, no serious exams, nothing. Ah.
Reply 2503
Original post by Divergent
Oh that was Cambridge :P
Sorry I thought we was talking about just oxbridge in general. He applied to Cambridge. :/

Ah!
My mistake then; I guess it was generally around the theme of both universities.

I don't know...
I feel I have something different to bring this year...
I wish this to be expressed in the upmost humility possible but my entire preparation helps me know how to work at it!

They'll hopefully see that sooner than later!
Lets see anyway...
I have a load of contextual history; I hate being considered on social deprivation and ranking within your school initially before nationally!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
(I hope I get as much As as that "Ah" contained) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
Unfortunately this isn't true - Oxford take into account % A*s at GCSE for Medicine

They take GCSEs into account for all subjects; as I previously pointed out GCSEs are considered very important to Oxford. But they're still only one part of the puzzle, and no one would be discouraged from applying with a strong mix of A*s and As. As the medicine website states, "A slightly weaker performance at GCSE may be compensated for by a very good BMAT score, and vice-versa", which was my original point:
Original post by AJW 12394
Those GCSEs would be ok for Oxford, you'd just need to make sure you performed in the BMAT and at interview

Original post by Ché.
Some friends have 11+ A/A*s, and that's the norm there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The average is actually 8.5 A*

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/bmat-gcses-and-short-listing/what-is-the-cut-off-for-gcses
Reply 2505
x^2-8x+16=0 days to go....

Hate to be pedantic, but you never said to solve for x :P

Nice thought with the repeated root though, I was wondering which solution it would be before I looked at the numbers xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2506
Original post by Padouken
Probably full of dirty old men looking for little kiddie winks to meet up with at the local clown town.

:P Typical chat room then.
The fact our firm uni's probably have our grades right now terrifies me.
My mother told me today what she thinks i'm going to have gotten.. and it made me twenty times worse :/
Original post by Cryl
Haha! Last night, I went on Miniclip to look for online games to pass the time. And I felt so sad, thinking "woah... this is what I used to do when I was in year 7!". It made me feel like such a kid. And then I got nostalgic as I started thinking about my life as a year-7 student. No GCSEs, no A-Levels, no serious exams, nothing. Ah.

Yep if only we could take a trip down memory lane and live life as a middle schooler the day!
Original post by jaetpa
Hate to be pedantic, but you never said to solve for x :P

Nice thought with the repeated root though, I was wondering which solution it would be before I looked at the numbers xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never thought on the student room i'd have to state the obvious :tongue:

Merci, I'm afraid my friend should of claimed copy write when he sent me a quadratic for five days. All credit to James!
Reply 2510
Yep if only we could take a trip down memory lane and live life as a middle schooler the day!

Oh no thanks. Bad things happened too. I guess a temporary trip would be fine.
Original post by AJW 12394
They take GCSEs into account for all subjects; as I previously pointed out GCSEs are considered very important to Oxford. But they're still only one part of the puzzle, and no one would be discouraged from applying with a strong mix of A*s and As. As the medicine website states, "A slightly weaker performance at GCSE may be compensated for by a very good BMAT score, and vice-versa", which was my original point:

The person only has 25% A*s which is a pretty low score for an Oxford medical applicant. From their admissions statistics -

For those shortlisted who had taken GCSEs, the mean proportion of A*s at GCSE was 0.94.

They would need an insanely high BMAT to even be called for interview and as you don't take the BMAT until after you apply, I would discourage anyone in that situation from taking the risk.

Luckily it doesn't matter because the person in this case wants to apply to Cambridge
Original post by needtosucceed=)
went onto amazon to see how much paranormal activity costs, and just found out theres a 4th one! when did that come out :eek: sixth form made me oblivious to the outside world :colondollar:
ooo a sequel, that sounds good! gonna try go watch conjuring before results day :biggrin:

Sorry was in work for the last 11 hours haha! It came out earlier this year just :smile:
The person only has 25% A*s which is a pretty low score for an Oxford medical applicant. From their admissions statistics -

For those shortlisted who had taken GCSEs, the mean proportion of A*s at GCSE was 0.94.

They would need an insanely high BMAT to even be called for interview and as you don't take the BMAT until after you apply, I would discourage anyone in that situation from taking the risk.

Luckily it doesn't matter because the person in this case wants to apply to Cambridge

Sorry, I didn't realise the person was applying to Cambridge not Oxford originally; fortunately it doesn't matter and Cambridge is far more suitable for the person's position. The point I was making was that Oxford would not be impossible with those grades if that was what the person wanted, and that you don't loose anything from trying.
Reply 2514

Hi fellow Nerdfighter. Where do you get such detailed admissions statistics for Oxford, I've looked, but never found it. Not looking v for medicine BTW

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Woah back it up a minute; did I read earlier that the universities have our results now? So they've made their decision?
Reply 2516
Original post by Thatstudentdude
Woah back it up a minute; did I read earlier that the universities have our results now? So they've made their decision?

In most cases yeah, but for people who've missed their offer by maybe one grade they may not have. Also I doubt everyone has been done by now. It has to be done manually apparently for every single person

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
4 days left and I can remember when it was 54. :wtf:
Original post by Thatstudentdude

They have until wednesday to decide but apparently they make most of their decisions by monday
Reply 2519
4 freaking days, I think I will get my mum to bring home some propofol and keep myself sedated until thursday morning at 5am.

I really am just getting incredibly irritated now.