The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SyedaK
How about Dragonball?
I tried watching One Peice ( Half of an episode) and didnt like it much

Who doesn't watch the dragonball series, lol. =P
One Piece, I gave it 10 episodes (which I think is more than generous) about a year ago and I think I waisted some part of my life I am never going to get back...
Reply 5101
Original post by Scienceisgood
One Piece, I gave it 10 episodes (which I think is more than generous) about a year ago and I think I waisted some part of my life I am never going to get back...

HAHAHA! I'm planning to watch Bleach as well. Any idea on how good it is?
Oh, and I'm excited for Pokemon X and Y too
Original post by SyedaK
HAHAHA! I'm planning to watch Bleach as well. Any idea on how good it is?
Oh, and I'm excited for Pokemon X and Y too

Bleach, I hear is good but I doubt I will get into it given I have been told it is full of fillers and ends suddenly. =l

Pokemon = FORBIDDEN TERRITORY for me. Sorry but I stopped watching that ages ago...
I do watch Yugioh and Digimon though from time to time. =P

I always wanted when I was younger a digimon called Dorumon. XD
Reply 5103
Bleach, I hear is good but I doubt I will get into it given I have been told it is full of fillers and ends suddenly. =l

Pokemon = FORBIDDEN TERRITORY for me. Sorry but I stopped watching that ages ago...
I do watch Yugioh and Digimon though from time to time. =P

I always wanted when I was younger a digimon called Dorumon. XD

No no I don't watch pokemon - the anime is too babyish, however the games are just epic.
I've never watched Digimon, I grew up with Pokemon, Yu gi Oh, TMNT
I find Japan a fascinating country and culture, and am interested in watching some anime films. I watched Spirited Away last night and thought it was brilliant, but rather weird! Apart from that, the only anime I've ever watched were TV series like Pokemon and Digimon when I was younger.

Can anybody recommend me some really good anime films to watch?
Original post by Super Cicero
I find Japan a fascinating country and culture, and am interested in watching some anime films. I watched Spirited Away last night and thought it was brilliant, but rather weird! Apart from that, the only anime I've ever watched were TV series like Pokemon and Digimon when I was younger.

Some recommendations to keep you busy for a while:

Summer Wars
Clanned (watch anime for it to make sense) - funny film though
Grave Of The Fireflies
Princess Mononoke (I hear this is good but haven't seen it myself)
The Girl who leapt through time
5 cm per second
Reply 5106
Original post by AngryJellyfish
That's pretty awesome, guess you'd need something like that to make the most of your time at such a huge event, and find the stalls you want easier. :yes:

I should probably make more of an effort to check out other UK conventions and expos... I've still only been to the small one in Telford. :redface:

Yeah, it'll prove pretty useful for sure.

Regarding conventions/expos, I've hardly been to any myself, just this and New York Comic Con. As someone who doesn't typically buy much anime, manga and related merchandise, nor do I cosplay, it's more for the experience and a day out. :tongue:

Thanks Aiko. =)
I was hoping that was like maybe a confirmation of Fairy Tail returning. =(

Tell me, did you learn Japanese or are you native Japanese?
Or did you cheat and use translator? :pierre:

Aha, sadly not. :tongue:

I'm native Japanese. :smile:
Reply 5107

I know one such person who used to post here that made the same mistake with One Piece. I implore you to give it another ago. It only starts to pick up after 30 to 40 episodes (not that I minded the earlier ones myself, but that's partly because I read the manga). There's a reason why it's the best selling manga of all time, and the anime adaptation is consistently at the top of television ratings in Japan. :smile:
Reply 5108
Original post by Super Cicero

Films made by Studio Ghilbi, who made Spirited Away, are usually at least reliably good, and they've been churning them out for a while now. In the films Scienceisgood suggests, Princess Mononoke (1997) and Grave of the Fireflies (1988) are both Ghibli titles (and both good). A few other Ghibli films which I personally really dig are Porco Rosso (1992), an elegaic story about a WW1 veteran pilot who has been transformed into a pig; Whisper of the Heart (1995), a romance which is (barring a couple of imagined sequences) less fantastical than a lot of their stuff; and Castle in the Sky (1986), their first proper film, a very fantastical adventure story.

Summer Wars (2009) and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006) are both good fun, and both were directed by Mamoru Hosoda. He had another film, Wolf Children, come out last year, and that's worth a watch too if you can find a copy (I don't think it's out here yet). Be warned: it's dangerously heartwarming.

Turning to rather darker fare, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1998) is a particularly fine psychological thriller set in an alternative 1950s Japan which is ruled by Germany. It's just a little like The Third Man, if you've ever seen that. Jin-Roh was written by Mamoru Oshii, who directed, among other things, Ghost in the Shell (there're a bunch of things with that title, but I'm talking about the 1995 film); Ghost in the Shell is a cyberpunk action flick, but also the surprisingly thoughtful story of a woman worried about her selfhood.

Satoshi Kon, a director who sadly died quite recently, did a nice line in visionary and unsettling cinema. His directorial debut was the intense, graphic thriller Perfect Blue (1997) and I think all his films are worth watching. His last, Paprika (2006), is a startling story about dream-diving. Tokyo Godfathers (2003) is a happy, heartwarming Christmas film and a bit of a departure from the tone of most of his other work.

Akira, from 1988, is historically significant as the film which turned a lot of older international fans onto anime, but it's also worth watching as a fun superpowers-gone-wrong story. It's a relic of Japan's 80s economic bubble and has particularly fine animation. I'm told its dystopian future setting ruled by an oligarchy and riddled with student dissent and mad cults is something of a reflection on different bits of Japan's postwar history.

One final suggestion: Redline, an anime film from 2009, probably isn't sociologically very interesting if you're fascinated by Japan, but it is extremely good fun if at any point you feel you want a super, super, super over-the-top racing film.

I hope some of these are helpful suggestions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5109
Depends on the dub for me. I would say 70% of what I watch is dubbed (however, there are some animes I find which are far better subbed (actually like 95% of them), however, since I started Fairy Tail dubbed I can't really watch it subbed, I do watch it though in sub format too).

Basically, I am not one of these "zomg, dubbed anime, MY EARS BLEED" kinda crap, like I said, it depends, an example where I feel the VA for dubbed are COMPLETELY wrong are the following couple;

Deadman Wonderland
Sword Art Online
Is this a zombie?

Still, that's just me. =l

EDIT:
Although, I do have to admit, female VA tend to be better than males.

Yeah I'm the same. The only times I will watch subbed is when I am watching currently airing anime/recent anime or if the anime has never been licensed. However due the amount of new/unlicensed anime I've watched I've probably seen more subbed than dub :tongue: The only time I really couldn't stand the dub so much that I will always watched the subbed version would be Clannad. Like you said, it depends on the anime whether or not the dub or sub is better. FMA, Ouran, Hikaru no Go and Baccano's dub will always be superior for me whereas the Japanese dub for Durarara, Clannad and Vampire Knight will always be my preferred version to the English version.
Guys, who do you think would win in a fight;

Fairy Tail
Or Hogwarts? :tongue:
Original post by SyedaK
Well at least you can watch subbed, with me, my eyes are either on the words or the action. Speaking of fairytail, When will FUNimation dub season 2?

I have just found (about 5 mins ago in fact) that yesterday, Funimation announced they have obtained the rights to dub episodes 73-175 of Fairy Tail plus the movie. :smile:
Although, no release dates yet.

EDIT:
Although, I knew they had the rights to dub the movie months back. =l
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5112
Been a while since I posted here. Watched what I said I would at the start of the season, but slowly and a good few weeks behind. Blah blah.
Reply 5113
I have just found (about 5 mins ago in fact) that yesterday, Funimation announced they have obtained the rights to dub episodes 73-175 of Fairy Tail plus the movie. :smile:
Although, no release dates yet.

EDIT:
Although, I knew they had the rights to dub the movie months back. =l

Yh I knew about the movie, but hell yeah! I can't wait!
Should have a new anime-related thread up in an hour or so - watch this space. :biggrin:
Link it in your next post. =)
Link it in your next post. =)

Of course. :p:

Identify the Anime thread 4 is up! :biggrin:
Original post by purplerainn
Finished the xxxholic ovas, the '10 years later' one was especially good. I miss that series :moon:

Gungrave and Princess Mononoke are really good, got good dubs too(or so I've heard :pierre:)

sorry those animes are too supernatural

look, i dont like animes that just produce crazy imaginary creatures with no sense to them and then theres just senseless stuff happening...

u see attack on titan, theres a lot of realism of the humanity they show and theres only one super natural species and its easy to believe without adding tons of crazy shift shaping monsters..

death note as well...modern day japan, good connection with humans most of the times....just one supernatural thing and thats a death note and the ghost...

so yeah, i dont wanna watch something with crazy vivid and sense imagination by the producers as if its like seeing a dream or something of a fantasy world...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by study beats

look, i dont like animes that just produce crazy imaginary creatures with no sense to them and then theres just senseless stuff happening...

u see attack on titan, theres a lot of realism of the humanity they show and theres only one super natural species and its easy to believe without adding tons of crazy shift shaping monsters..

death note as well...modern day japan, good connection with humans most of the times....just one supernatural thing and thats a death note and the ghost...

so yeah, i dont wanna watch something with crazy vivid and sense imagination by the producers as if its like seeing a dream or something of a fantasy world...

Your on the wrong anime thread then, I will say this now. =l
You *May* like "Eden of the East" anime.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by study beats

I thought death note was way more supernatural than Gungrave :dontknow:
but here's some recommendations that are very realistic

Eden of the East
Ima, soko ni iru boku
Elfen lied
Beck
Rainbow
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest