The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wow. The days are dragging now :frown:

The whole summer has gone so quick but I feel like every hours a day and every days a week!!!

I'm so scared. I hate crying in front of people too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EatRainbows_x
Do you think unis have made their decisions by now? Or only just received our results?

Not sure really.. Depends how quickly their admissions people sort it out I guess :smile:
Original post by ve_1995
English lit.

Damn the Lit exam was hard, I'll be pleased with a B for that!
Also took Music, English Lang, Music Tech, Physics and Critical Thinking. AAAEB I reckon for those =]
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Aah, I see! What play and director did you do?

For the play, I studied Federico Garcia Lorca and in particular his play called 'La casa de Bernarda Alba'.

For the director, we did Carlos Saura and his film 'Cria Cuervos'.

We briefly looked at a couple of other texts by Lorca and films by Saura, but just very briefly. According to the AQA specifiation, there's no need to mention more than one piece by a playwright/director. :smile:
Original post by sneha.vag
Why are the irrelevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're going to a university that requires an A* for entry, UCAS points are irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
If you're going to a university that requires an A* for entry, UCAS points are irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had no idea about that :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JENG
does anyone else think that when the grade boundaries are released on Monday they will be able to tell from it if they got into their firm or not-------because I think I just might:confused::rolleyes:

Nope. My place is dependent upon my economics score and essays are usually subjective so you can't really have a good estimate of your score. My friend tried that, thought he got close to 100ums for unit 2 and got a low B LOL.

But I'll probably be able to tell whether or not I got my A* in chemistry.
Original post by Buongiorno
For the play, I studied Federico Garcia Lorca and in particular his play called 'La casa de Bernarda Alba'.

For the director, we did Carlos Saura and his film 'Cria Cuervos'.

We briefly looked at a couple of other texts by Lorca and films by Saura, but just very briefly. According to the AQA specifiation, there's no need to mention more than one piece by a playwright/director. :smile:

The house of Bernarda Alba :teeth:

What is the exam like? English Lit GCSE?
Okay, I am confused. If unis get the results today, how comes some applicants' offers remain unconditional on results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

36,331 posts. Geesus.
Original post by Aries1992
Wow. The days are dragging now :frown:

The whole summer has gone so quick but I feel like every hours a day and every days a week!!!

I'm so scared. I hate crying in front of people too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was sent home for crying in January, I know it can't get worse than them results because basically my results then halted my entry to Glasgow. But hey, thumbs up.
Success or failure, either way I'll end up on the results night out!
Original post by Unashamed Geek
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking :s-smilie:

Did you do the As exams,
Okay, I am confused. If unis get the results today, how comes some applicants' offers remain unconditional on results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Conditional you mean? A bit of system time lag?
Original post by Padouken
36,331 posts. Geesus.

:iiam:

So on AQA, the paper is 2.5 hours and includes listening, reading, translation and the essay. You are advised to spend an hour on the essay.

Essay questions aren't as specific as say English lit GCSE, they are quite vague and generic because people can study different plays so the questions have to fit all the texts! Also, you can pre-prepare and memorise an introduction and a conclusion and it will work for pretty much any question.

A typical question will ask you to consider the most important themes, symbols in the text or the question may be more open-ended and ask why you like the text or why the text was successful. When doing practice essays and mock exams it will soon become apparent that you can recycle a great deal of information in every essay...
Reply 2795
I had no idea about that :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An offer that asks for grades and not points eg AAA or even BBC will just want grades and so if you have an offer of BBB and get ABC you haven't met your offer and it'll be up to the uni to decide. Also if your offer is grades then offer things that you can get points for like an epq or musical grades don't count - they then can only help the uni decides to give you a slightly lower offer. :-) hope that helps x
Original post by Padouken
Conditional you mean? A bit of system time lag?

Yes, conditional- stupid typo. Then how comes some articles on the Internet that give advice on how to deal with such a situation say that you should call up the university and ask to speak to admissions tutor to ask if they will considered taking you in despite having missed your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Are you sure? My college was charging 30 pounds (or more for practical exams) per retake as well.

The price varies from exam boards and from subjects (practicals are more) Some modules are more expensive than others I think...
Reply 2798
Do applicants get a notification as to whether they succeeded in getting into their chosen university at midnight on 15th August, or is that just a myth?
Original post by Buongiorno
So on AQA, the paper is 2.5 hours and includes listening, reading, translation and the essay. You are advised to spend an hour on the essay.

Essay questions aren't as specific as say English lit GCSE, they are quite vague and generic because people can study different plays so the questions have to fit all the texts! Also, you can pre-prepare and memorise an introduction and a conclusion and it will work for pretty much any question.

A typical question will ask you to consider the most important themes, symbols in the text or the question may be more open-ended and ask why you like the text or why the text was successful. When doing practice essays and mock exams it will soon become apparent that you can recycle a great deal of information in every essay...

Aaah, I see! Sounds good :yy: