The Student Room Group

TSR Chemical Engineers

The electrical and mechanical engineers have their own thread of this sort, so I figured why not? This thread will be used as a medium between chemical engineering students, applicants and graduates. You may ask questions and give advice through this thread.

Okay. Go

Background:
MEng Chemical Engineering at UCL
Currently in 3rd year of course

Ask away
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good job for setting this one up Ade :smile:

Background for me:
Reading for a chemical engineering degree at Leeds University.
Just finished my 3rd year and will be moving into the MEng year.
Currently undertaking a summer internship.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have
Hoping to do chem eng 2014 entry. :smile:

What did you guys put on your PS and which unis are a good choice?

Also are the only careers in chem eng like working in a chemical plant?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Davelittle
Hoping to do chem eng 2014 entry. :smile:

What did you guys put on your PS and which unis are a good choice?

Also are the only careers in chem eng like working in a chemical plant?

Thanks. :smile:

Well for my personal statement, I mentioned how I went travelling to Benin and visited Shanghai Farm (a farm designed by a Nigerian chemical engineer). I talked about how inspiring it was for me to see what the discipline could be used to bring forth. That along with having early experience from Physics Summer School in Queen Mary.

Good universities for chemical engineering. You have the top institutes like Cambridge, Imperial and Manchester. Surrey is very good in terms of employment and placements.

Chemical Engineering is a very versatile discipline. You can go into management, consultancy, finance, pharmaceuticals and others. As for a career within chemical engineering, you can work on the field or at the desk running simulations.

Hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ade9000
Well for my personal statement, I mentioned how I went travelling to Benin and visited Shanghai Farm (a farm designed by a Nigerian chemical engineer). I talked about how inspiring it was for me to see what the discipline could be used to bring forth. That along with having early experience from Physics Summer School in Queen Mary.

Good universities for chemical engineering. You have the top institutes like Cambridge, Imperial and Manchester. Surrey is very good in terms of employment and placements.

Chemical Engineering is a very versatile discipline. You can go into management, consultancy, finance, pharmaceuticals and others. As for a career within chemical engineering, you can work on the field or at the desk running simulations.

Hope this helps.

Really helpful thank you mate. :smile:

Is there any chance of working in renewable energies (such as fusion) do you think?
Reply 5
Really helpful thank you mate. :smile:

Is there any chance of working in renewable energies (such as fusion) do you think?

Of course!! It's part of the discipline. :smile:

As for nuclear, it would be beneficial to do an MSc in Nuclear Engineering, but an MEng would do you solid.
Original post by Ade9000

As for nuclear, it would be beneficial to do an MSc in Nuclear Engineering, but an MEng would do you solid.

It's not letting me rep you -.-

Okay great, I think I'll stick to the Meng though. :smile:
Reply 7
It's not letting me rep you -.-

Okay great, I think I'll stick to the Meng though. :smile:

I think with a base MEng chemical eng degree, this should set you up very well for a career as you progress through the course. Renewable energy is a fine area to work in :smile:

ps nothing wrong with working in a chemical plant. Its quite good actually and the large scale machines are quite fascinating to see close up. Well for me anyway :smile:

Make sure that the universities you choose are IChemE accredited so you get the best possible degree.

This is a great site full of useful information for anyone thinking about doing chem eng:

http://www.whynotchemeng.com/

Also check these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUS1-49Oslo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3NhuCiyp5Y
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ade9000

Hey I wanna do chem eng at imperial, do u think I should apply if I get a B in chemistry at AS?

Did u apply to imperial?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Vorsah
Hey I wanna do chem eng at imperial, do u think I should apply if I get a B in chemistry at AS?

Did u apply to imperial?

Yeah. Why not? I got ABBB at AS (A in Chemistry, B in Maths, Physics and Product Design) and I got an offer from Imperial.

Just make sure you got a good personal statement and that during your interview you aim to impress.

Edit: Why the neg rep? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm also hoping to apply for chem eng to start in 2014 :smile: I'm hoping to stay in the North, do you happen to know much about the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester? I've heard sooooo many mixed views about Manchester uni, is it highly regarded?
I was also wondering about the workload? As in I've heard it's A LOT of hard work, but you still have to time to enjoy yourself right? Like nights out and sport etc?
Also for personal statements are they expecting like work experience and placements? I just don't really know what to include as such :s-smilie: Like maybe an article of interest? Job experience? Sports? etc.
Sorry for all the questions aha, and cheers for the help :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by BayHarborButcher
I'm also hoping to apply for chem eng to start in 2014 :smile: I'm hoping to stay in the North, do you happen to know much about the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester? I've heard sooooo many mixed views about Manchester uni, is it highly regarded?
I was also wondering about the workload? As in I've heard it's A LOT of hard work, but you still have to time to enjoy yourself right? Like nights out and sport etc?
Also for personal statements are they expecting like work experience and placements? I just don't really know what to include as such :s-smilie: Like maybe an article of interest? Job experience? Sports? etc.
Sorry for all the questions aha, and cheers for the help :smile:

I have a two mates down at Manchester and they enjoy it very much. In terms of chemical engineering, Manchester is one of the top in the UK. Couldn't tell you what it's like since I haven't been. Same can be said for the others you mentioned.

The workload is intense. Don't be fooled by 1st years, it gets harder, especially when you receive that design project in 3rd year. But if you're willing to work and be a good team player, you'll get through it and even have time to party and do sports. It feels even better when your work is done to go out and party, because you feel like you've earned it.

For my personal statement I mentioned how I went to Songhai Farm in Benin and was inspired and amazed at how a chemical engineer could design such a place. That along with Physics Summer School at Queen Mary. I didn't do sports or have related work experience so I didn't mention it. It's good to mention is if you have it, as it gives you more to talk about and helps you stand out from other applicant, because your grades will only take you so far.

Hope this helps
Reply 12
Original post by Ade9000
Yeah. Why not? I got ABBB at AS (A in Chemistry, B in Maths, Physics and Product Design) and I got an offer from Imperial.

Just make sure you got a good personal statement and that during your interview you aim to impress.

Thanks man.
Reply 13
Original post by Ade9000

Edit: Why the neg rep? :s-smilie:

I didn't neg you.
Reply 14
Original post by Vorsah
I didn't neg you.

Lol wasn't directed at you. It was directed at whoever negged me
Original post by Ade9000
I have a two mates down at Manchester and they enjoy it very much. In terms of chemical engineering, Manchester is one of the top in the UK. Couldn't tell you what it's like since I haven't been. Same can be said for the others you mentioned.

The workload is intense. Don't be fooled by 1st years, it gets harder, especially when you receive that design project in 3rd year. But if you're willing to work and be a good team player, you'll get through it and even have time to party and do sports. It feels even better when your work is done to go out and party, because you feel like you've earned it.

For my personal statement I mentioned how I went to Songhai Farm in Benin and was inspired and amazed at how a chemical engineer could design such a place. That along with Physics Summer School at Queen Mary. I didn't do sports or have related work experience so I didn't mention it. It's good to mention is if you have it, as it gives you more to talk about and helps you stand out from other applicant, because your grades will only take you so far.

Hope this helps

Cheers for the help man! Wow writing my personal statement is a flipping challenge... :s-smilie:
Reply 16
i am not a chemical engineer, but i am thinking about it

but can i just say chemical engineering is the coolest name for a subject ever
Reply 17
How interesting would you say your course content is?

How much maths and economics is involved? Maths appeals to me a lot, but economics does not (I am not a huge fan of business)
Reply 18
Good thing someone made this thread as I'm applying this year.I really want to get into UCl, but they offer no placement which is the only downfall. Anyways I am applying to UCl, Birmingham, Manchester, Loughborough and surrey.
Reply 19
Chemical Engineer at Cam checking in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest