The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Getting good grades will allow me to pursue my maths research career, which is much more important to me than my health because maths is so enjoyable.Without good grades I could end up on the doll or even worse and then that would impact on my health.

Your like a Sheldon :biggrin: ( if anyone understands the reference, your baws)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
good afternoon :biggrin: :h:

how are you? :lol:
Reply 2482
Original post by HeyThereHarry
It will probably affect those who are borderline D/C more than us who are generally at the higher end, so stay positive! I don't think it'll necessarily mean that we won't get our (hopefully) top marks :smile:

I agree with you, Ofqual can't do whatever, whenever:tongue:

Mr M too agrees that grades won't be faltered and this is likely media exaggeration

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2381568&page=93&page=93
Original post by Jatz07
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article1298956.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2013_08_10

Read this everyone^^

Exam Results in Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) expected to drop for GCSE Results 2013...

Jatz

That is for the C grade though? Right? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2484
Original post by JustaDreamer
Haha lol :smile: Whoa how do you remember your SATS? All I remember is a science question with a picture of a penguin :penguinhug: Omg lol I did that sometimes as well; normally I have the occasional habit of making sentences too long...yeah, I made sure they were like a paragraph long in my 'revision' :lol:

Aw thanks :smile: What about yourself? Yeah I was so happy when a describing question came up. Thing is I did the exam in January, and got 62 which was the highest in the year (apparently), but according to last year's grade boundaries when my teacher added up all the CAs and this score I was at a very high A...very close to the boundary. This time I think I had a lot more structure to my writing; thanks to mr bruff!
Im hoping for an A* but I think my speaking assessments will let me down, wow well done:smile: I used Mr Buff! :cool: Our school didn't allow us to be entered for the January English exam, so we only had one attempt:frown:
Original post by Dalek1099
Nothing is more important than Academia, it determines who is the best.I am very upset that I have calculated that I only have a 1 in 25 chance of achieving an A* Baccalaureate(A*s in English Language,Maths,2 Sciences,History or Geography and a modern foreign language), which I tried so hard to get because I really think I failed the Geography exam and will only get an A overall.

I didn't say that academia isn't important, it just isn't the only thing that you should concentrate on. You can do well and not gloat about it anyway, gloating isn't the behaviour of a particularly intelligent person.
Although academics are important to me, these results are not the end of the world. I know that you feel like you've not done as well as you could have, but it's natural for everyone to underestimate ourselves. We don't know what's going to happen on results day, and all I can do is wish you all the best of luck. :smile: Have a good remainder of summer break.
Reply 2487
As much as I hate dalek his posts make me laugh so much ahah

11 days weeps
Reply 2488
Original post by gomg
As much as I hate dalek his posts make me laugh so much ahah

11 days weeps

My my it's all fun and games till you're in a dual and have to keep explaining things to him:bored:
Reply 2489
Original post by Jatz07
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article1298956.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2013_08_10

Read this everyone^^

Exam Results in Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) expected to drop for GCSE Results 2013...

Jatz

Oh bloody hell. :angry:
Reply 2490
Original post by elixirs
My my it's all fun and games till you're in a dual and have to keep explaining things to him:bored:

I actually can't get over some of the things he says 'Nothing is more important than academia" jesus I feel sorry for his family
Reply 2491
Original post by gomg
I actually can't get over some of the things he says 'Nothing is more important than academia" jesus I feel sorry for his family

I guess when you think like that you won't suffer from strict parents when you're your own strict parent and... annoying child:tongue:
Reply 2492
Original post by Dinasaurus
I'm so bloody worried, I want to do Medicine but my grades will probably contain no A*s, a mix of C, B and A. (I'm thinking I will only get 1 C in Short Course Citizenship though) and a majority A compared to B. Does anyone think is possible, I've looked at most schools entry requirements and I see some say they just want like 6As minimum (UEA), and I know that other factors like UKCAT and work experience are also a big deal but what if that's not exactly the case and 6As isn't enough?

I know I should only blame myself but can I use this as a factor, with my school being in the bottom 200 league table? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21171279 (only 36% of students achieve a good pass) With the way my school is I was entirely unaware that people even got straight As, as there'd usually be 1 story in the local paper about someone getting straights As a year. I only know a handful of people (maybe 5?) that I assume will achieve higher grades than me in my school.

Not to undermine the efforts my classmates have put in and what they will achieve, but can this in anyway be factored in or is it simply a case of wrong place at the wrong time? I was targeted 'B' for all my subjects anyway, so I will still be seen as a success in school despite effectively losing out on my dream D:

Get 3 A's at A level, if you achieve at least 1 A*, even better.

You may qualify for entry into a foundation Medicine Programme where an extra year is spent learning clinical specialities & the science of things however, as long as your A levels are decent, look for Med schools which only require advanced gcse grades (B) in English+a C in a Foreign language, such as UCL, Kings College London or Nottingham.

You'll struggle to get into Med schools which require a fixed amount of A/B grades at Gcse in the sciences, such as Imperial/Leeds/Oxford etc.
10 days now :/
Reply 2494
Original post by HeyThereHarry
I think I'm borderline A/A* for lots of my results too. I have a feeling I'll get quite a few As that are only a couple of marks away from A*s :frown: ...how frustrating!
Good luck for your A*! And if you have just missed out by a few marks, you can always get a remark.

Last year we were also all worrying for our year 10 results. It doesn't matter how many results you're getting, it's only natural to be anxious :smile:
Does your school pay for your remark if you are very close to the boundary?:smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:lol: I can't even do 5:wink: it's weird... I can only do them in school when I'm being made to

:eek: I'm looking to do a chemistry degree! How was it? Which uni?:smile:

haha I wonder why :lol:
Friday will be highday!
Original post by Molly_xox
how are you? :lol:

I can't remember how I was :lol: .. im feeling alright at the moment though :rofl:
Wow by the looks of things some people need to get their priorities straight...
Original post by L'Evil Fish

:eek: I'm looking to do a chemistry degree! How was it? Which uni?:smile:

Good stuff! It was the medicinal chemistry + industrial placement MChem at St Andrews. Very good department for teaching and research and they put a lot of importance on student feedback-for example poor lecturers have been removed from certain modules.

If you want any help on things like personal statement or choices then just drop a PM.

Latest