The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techno836
haha I wonder why :lol:

Whaaaat?:tongue:

Original post by Midlander
Good stuff! It was the medicinal chemistry + industrial placement MChem at St Andrews. Very good department for teaching and research and they put a lot of importance on student feedback-for example poor lecturers have been removed from certain modules.

If you want any help on things like personal statement or choices then just drop a PM.

St.Andrews was an option but now I'm thinking more...

Oxford, Durham, York, Imperial and Edinburgh :redface:

Sound good?

Thanks! :biggrin: I might pester you about the PS...
Original post by Dalek1099
A post-masters student on a GCSE thread-This is extreme showing off.I haven't even had the chance to get up to masters yet but I'm 90% certain I'll be taking a masters combined with my degree in Maths.Did you have to get funding for that by the way?

The MChem like other science masters (except for biology) has the masters incorporated into the undergrad so it counts as a regular year at university-no funding required.

The point of my post wasn't to show off but to show that GCSE results will not seem like a great deal in a few years' time and even less at degree time for those who end up pursuing them. Also, the results day for you guys this year falls on my birthday :wink:
Original post by lolface32
Your like a Sheldon :biggrin: ( if anyone understands the reference, your baws)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Whaaaat?:tongue:

St.Andrews was an option but now I'm thinking more...

Oxford, Durham, York, Imperial and Edinburgh :redface:

Sound good?

Thanks! :biggrin: I might pester you about the PS...

Oxford I was encouraged to apply to but opted against for several reasons:

1. There is no option to take an industrial placement year as part of the course.

2. The course is very maths intensive and they put, in my view, an unfair bias onto physical chemistry which is not what I'm into at all. If you're a strong physicist/mathematician as well as a chemist however, then it could be down your street.
I can't remember how I was :lol: .. im feeling alright at the moment though :rofl:

Good good, hahah :cool:
Oxford I was encouraged to apply to but opted against for several reasons:

1. There is no option to take an industrial placement year as part of the course.

2. The course is very maths intensive and they put, in my view, an unfair bias onto physical chemistry which is not what I'm into at all. If you're a strong physicist/mathematician as well as a chemist however, then it could be down your street.

I want a year abroad tbh:redface:

Hmmm... I'm quite good at maths, getting my A2 results this week!

Your birthday present can be my results, hopefully they'll be good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmWa1gKrp6Q

Just watch it, take your mind off panicking for a few minutes :')
Original post by Molly_xox
Good good, hahah :cool:

what about yourself :smile:

Quite ? :lol:

Quite ? :lol:

Yeah:tongue:
Yeah:tongue:

ohh how modest of you :wink: :lol:

The external placement is extremely good for employability and gives you an opportunity to see chemistry in action in the industry. For Oxford to bluntly dismiss it strikes me as odd but not surprising from them. All the other departments you mentioned are strong but aren't iffy about placements!
Original post by Dalek1099
A post-masters student on a GCSE thread-This is extreme showing off.I haven't even had the chance to get up to masters yet but I'm 90% certain I'll be taking a masters combined with my degree in Maths.Did you have to get funding for that by the way?

No it's not, he's here to offer useful advice.
(edited 10 years ago)

I'm good thanks :smile:
ohh how modest of you :wink: :lol:

:tongue:
The external placement is extremely good for employability and gives you an opportunity to see chemistry in action in the industry. For Oxford to bluntly dismiss it strikes me as odd but not surprising from them. All the other departments you mentioned are strong but aren't iffy about placements!

Ah, well, I'll apply there and if I get an offer, reject it after thought...

There's some years abroad with industry! Or even both separately in the degree :sogood:
So....what is everyone doing now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in right at this second or as in what is our next step in life after GCSEs? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just ate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Listening to Elvis:h:
Original post by Its Andy
As in right at this second or as in what is our next step in life after GCSEs? :smile:

Everything....

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is great bro!! Good to hear...

Posted from TSR Mobile