The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Malevolent
Key word Pre-season its just that. Its only there for fitness and new tactics and giving the young ones some playing time. I know you're just trolling anyway.

They might find it harder without SAF but Jesus there isn't a manager who could just come in and be expected to do wonderfully well, besides wait till Moyes plays a few "proper" games before you judge him.

For the record I'm not trolling (who trolls? :L). Pre-Season is for fitness you're right, but when you're new tactics are resulting in only winning 3 out of 8 pre-season games or something, it's clear it's not going to be the biggest season for the club. Plus look at the United squad, SAF I think was the best manager of all time and he and RVP single handedly carried that squad. Moyes is an OK manager, nothing special and it's an OK squad. But City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all look stronger with Arsenal and Spurs having better foundations. This could very much be the beginning of the end for United!
Original post by SmashingPumpkinP
For the record I'm not trolling (who trolls? :L). Pre-Season is for fitness you're right, but when you're new tactics are resulting in only winning 3 out of 8 pre-season games or something, it's clear it's not going to be the biggest season for the club. Plus look at the United squad, SAF I think was the best manager of all time and he and RVP single handedly carried that squad. Moyes is an OK manager, nothing special and it's an OK squad. But City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all look stronger with Arsenal and Spurs having better foundations. This could very much be the beginning of the end for United!

Pre-season means little, clubs have poor pre-seasons and then go onto have good seasons all the time. So Arsenal and Spurs have better squads and you're not a troll? Okay mate. The chances of either finishing the season ahead of United are slim.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Pre-season means little, clubs have poor pre-seasons and then go onto have good seasons all the time. So Arsenal and Spurs have better squads and you're not a troll? Okay mate. The chances of either finishing the season ahead of United are slim.

Lets go through a combined XI for all 3 shall we?

GK: Lloris
RB: Walker
CB: Koscielny
CB: Vert
LB: Evra
RM: Walcott
CM: Wilshere
CM: Carrick
LM: Bale
ST: Van Persie
ST: Podolski

United have very few World Class Individuals left in their team. Most of the team is past it and no one wants to join a sinking ship (Thiago, Fabregas).

United have very few World Class Individuals left in their team. Most of the team is past it and no one wants to join a sinking ship (Thiago, Fabregas).

Get Podolski and Walker out of there :rofl:

Also put Rafael and either Rooney or Soldado there. Vidic should probably be in there as well but injuries I guess could say not him.

Not sure though why you put Bale in but not Rooney? DDG should be ahead of Lloris as well.
(edited 10 years ago)

Player for player comparisons mean very little, and thats a really, really bad one anyway.

Arsenal have no world class players. Spurs have one who will be staying with them for one season max.

podolski has little place in the team.. - would not have him as the second striker by a long way.. I would take soldado, rooney, giroud etc. all over him.

Id take rafael over walker as well, - he was one of united most consistant performers last season, putting in some great games - and getting a few goals..

- its close, but i would also go for DDG instead of Lloris.. - Id rate them similar in terms of ablity currently, but DDG has so so much potential - he will be the best keeper this season..

(not a united fan..)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent
Get Podolski and Walker out of there :rofl:

Also put Rafael and either Rooney or Soldado there. Vidic should probably be in there as well but injuries I guess could say not him.

Not sure though why you put Bale in but not Rooney? DDG should be ahead of Lloris as well.

Actually yeah I guess Rafa deserves it more than Walker. But Soldado is still give and take. La Liga to EPL is a massive transition.
Actually yeah I guess Rafa deserves it more than Walker. But Soldado is still give and take. La Liga to EPL is a massive transition.

Michu, Mata, Aguero, Torres, Cazorla all beg to differ. Its not that big of a difference especially when the general state of EPL defending has gone down.

Rafael easily deserves it over Walker.
Forgetting the trolls on this thread. I was glad to see that we kept a clean sheet which we haven't been able to do throughout pre-season. Good solid performance at the back!

And Sky Sports have just posted this:

Speaking at the post-match press conference after Manchester United beat Wigan in the Community Shield, David Moyes confirmed the club are 'closer' to bringing in a new signing. We'll bring you more shortly.

:lol:

GK: De Gea
RB: Rafael
CB: Vidic
CB: Ferdinand
CM: Siggurdson
CF: Rooney
CF: Van Persie

and tbh I would say that Zaha will probably be better in that position than Walcott in time and we can sign someone better than Siggurdson as well. so really only Bale from Spurs/Arsenal would definitely make it into United's team imo.
Boy, that first Van Persie goal was crucial. Good to see he's already in the goals this season. Him, Carrick and Vidic all had good games, we'll be okay.

Hearing Rafael is out for 4-5 weeks - looking forward to Fabio stepping up!
Original post by SciFiRory

and tbh I would say that Zaha will probably be better in that position than Walcott in time and we can sign someone better than Siggurdson as well. so really only Bale from Spurs/Arsenal would definitely make it into United's team imo.

Sig isnteven in the Top 5 mids at Spurs, nevermind over the 3 squads. You dont know a thing about football outside of MU do you? :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CB91
Sig isnteven in the Top 5 mids at Spurs, nevermind over the 3 squads. You dont know a thing about football outside of MU do you? :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rate him, though I don't really rate any of your or Arsenal's CM's more than what we have now so really just picked one for the sake of it.
Reply 8273
Shame about Rafael. Not only did that ruin his game, but Jones's too. Poor match really. Come next week, we really need to step it up. Fortunate that RvP possesses the quality to win games alone, that first goal was ridiculous, such precision.

If you're going for "knowledgeable about football" trolling, then it's useful to actually have some knowledge about football. Walker was incredibly poor last season, losing goals single-handedly at times.
Original post by SciFiRory

This has got to be a troll! United's defence is past it completely Kosc and Jan are so much better than Vidic etc. De Gea not quite yet and Walcott is going to be better than Zaha will ever be.
Original post by xDave-
Shame about Rafael. Not only did that ruin his game, but Jones's too. Poor match really. Come next week, we really need to step it up. Fortunate that RvP possesses the quality to win games alone, that first goal was ridiculous, such precision.

If you're going for "knowledgeable about football" trolling, then it's useful to actually have some knowledge about football. Walker was incredibly poor last season, losing goals single-handedly at times.

Not going to lie slightly forgot Rafa. But Sagna cost Arsenal goals almost individually as well last season, so to put Walker in front of him was somewhat touch and go I admit.
Original post by polojoe
Do you guys think Welbeck will beat his tally of 1 goal next season?

It's gonna be tough. But maybe if he works hard enough he can do it :colonhash:
A decent performance by Manchester United today. Not one of their best but at the end of the day a wins a win. Read some of the comments from the seemly non United fans I'd just say don't underestimate your opponents thinking a change in manager will favour your team or even weaken theres. Cause I think Manchester United not being favourites will only take the pressure off them and spur them on to work harder and prove everyone wrong.

On Moyes, I'm pleased for him more than anyone since his been getting a lot of stick in the past month or so. If he gets a decent midfielder in they'll be up there challenging for the title but whether he'll win it is another matter. Nevertheless its a good start and I wish him all the best for the start of the season.
Reply 8278
I hope Januzaj gets the no. 7 shirtt. Just like when Ronaldo was given the shirt, he's showing bags of potential. He could really live up to be a United legend.
Original post by qasidb
I hope Januzaj gets the no. 7 shirtt. Just like when Ronaldo was given the shirt, he's showing bags of potential. He could really live up to be a United legend.

Why has nobody picked up on this? Valencia releases the no.7 shirt, Moyes says your close to a new signing. All points to CR7 coming back :rolleyes:

Latest