The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2540
Original post by aasvogel
They're all quite mathsy, I want something like Maths with French, a year abroad, with international relations but no!

That sounds quite interesting, actually! Do you know of any unis that actually offer that combination?

Original post by Its Andy
I had a look at the subjects the other day, I want to do computer science at uni and was quite surprised to see that Oxford offered Computer Science and Philosophy together! I thought that was quite an interesting combination :smile: No-one else might, but the thought of Computer Science and Philosophy really appeals to me!

I wanted to study Computer Science at Uni (might change my mind, especially if my Computing teacher from high school has anything to do with it..) but now I'm going for Physics or Engineering instead :smile:

That combination probably wouldn't be good for me, but it definitely sounds interesting! Have a look into it and go for it! :smile:
Original post by Its Andy
Would Maths and Philosophy appeal to you?

I've looked into it, and whilst Philosophy is interesting, I don't think I'd want to pursue it at degree level.
Reply 2542
Original post by HeyThereHarry
I don't know about all schools, but my school definitely does. In year 9 I had all 3 of my exams remarked for my humanities GCSE and I managed to gain a few extra marks, pushing me just over the overall A* boundary :biggrin:
oh that's great!:smile: Well done :biggrin: How many marks did you gain from having all 3 exams remarked? Also, if you were 4 marks away from the A* boundary would your school still pay for your remark?
Original post by chloe--
That sounds quite interesting, actually! Do you know of any unis that actually offer that combination?

Do you mean any of those 3 distinct? Or did you think I was looking for a degree in Maths with French and a Year Abroad with International Relations all as one? :tongue:

Maths with French and Maths with a Year Abroad/ Extended Studies in Europe are offered at a lot of unis. I had a look at some today and the following offer them:

Imperial
UCL
Durham
Bath
QUB (just a personal choice)
Bristol

There'll be more of course, and St.Andrew's offer Maths with a few languages (except French :angry:)

Maths with International Relations is simply wishful thinking. :smile:

EDIT: What do you know?! http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/route/UAHFIRLJMTH/year/2013-4
Go figure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sr-96
oh that's great!:smile: Well done :biggrin: How many marks did you gain from having all 3 exams remarked? Also, if you were 4 marks away from the A* boundary would your school still pay for your remark?

Thanks, well I was exactly 4 marks away from the boundary and I gained an extra 7 marks! The thing about essay/long-answer exams, e.g. history, is that it's partially up to the examiner as to how well you've answered the question, so it's possible to see a decent increase in marks after having a remark. However, for short-answer exams like science, a remark is less likely to improve your mark since the answers are more clear-cut.
So basically yes I was granted a free remark since I was 4 marks away from an A* ...also my predicted grade was an A* so that might have had something to do with it too :smile:
Original post by sr234
Im hoping for an A* but I think my speaking assessments will let me down, wow well done:smile: I used Mr Buff! :cool: Our school didn't allow us to be entered for the January English exam, so we only had one attempt:frown:

Thanks, Mr Bruff is a boss! :cool: Ah right :frown: It's actually the opposite for me, my speaking assessments are the only CAs with A*s!
Reply 2546
Original post by JustaDreamer
Thanks, Mr Bruff is a boss! :cool: Ah right :frown: It's actually the opposite for me, my speaking assessments are the only CAs with A*s!

Mr Bruff is the only reason I had any chance of getting a good grade in English! He's absolutely amazing! :biggrin:
Original post by chloe--
Mr Bruff is the only reason I had any chance of getting a good grade in English! He's absolutely amazing! :biggrin:

:five: I know right, me and my friends practically worship him! I sooo wish he was my English teacher, or help us out on TSR! :eek: :adore:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Not gonna do a language now :')

What?!! I can't believe it - I thought you of all people would!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2549
Thanks, well I was exactly 4 marks away from the boundary and I gained an extra 7 marks! The thing about essay/long-answer exams, e.g. history, is that it's partially up to the examiner as to how well you've answered the question, so it's possible to see a decent increase in marks after having a remark. However, for short-answer exams like science, a remark is less likely to improve your mark since the answers are more clear-cut.
So basically yes I was granted a free remark since I was 4 marks away from an A* ...also my predicted grade was an A* so that might have had something to do with it too :smile:
Oh, because I'm slightly scared I might miss the a* boundary in biology by a few marks. Do you think I would have a chance of gaining those few extra marks by asking for a remark? :redface:
Original post by tess_rach
What?!! I can't believe it - I thought you of all people would!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as a whole degree:eek: it'll form a part of it:smile:
Original post by chloe--
Oxford offer Maths with Computer Science, Philosophy and Statistics. Cambridge just do Maths and there's the option for Physics if you think you might transfer to the Physics course after a year. But it isn't a great variety of subjects :tongue:
You can do Computer Science with Maths at Cambridge. You can also do Computer Science with an option from Natural Sciences.

Cambridge's Natural Sciences degree pretty much allows you to do anything Science-y you want (the only Science subjects you can't do are straight Engineering and straight maths, but you can still do things like Materials and you can still choose to do a maths-heavy degree if you want).
Reply 2552
Original post by JustaDreamer
:five: I know right, me and my friends practically worship him! I sooo wish he was my English teacher, or help us out on TSR! :eek: :adore:

Definitely! I think by the end of Year 11, most of my year knew about him because we raved about him so much!

Original post by Pleonasm
You can do Computer Science with Maths at Cambridge. You can also do Computer Science with an option from Natural Sciences.

Cambridge's Natural Sciences degree pretty much allows you to do anything Science-y you want (the only Science subjects you can't do are straight Engineering and straight maths, but you can still do things like Materials and you can still choose to do a maths-heavy degree if you want).

Computer Science with Maths is mostly Computer Science though - for half of the first year you do Maths and that's it. I think he was looking for Maths to be the major. (Also CS with Maths means taking STEP, ew)
Original post by chloe--
Definitely! I think by the end of Year 11, most of my year knew about him because we raved about him so much!

:party: Yup :biggrin:
okay I need to know if this is normal or not. All my friends when asked about results day are like "I think I've failed" but i'm actually sort of a little bit confident about my results and think I've done alright. So is this a normal feeling ?
Original post by Huffleclaw2416
okay I need to know if this is normal or not. All my friends when asked about results day are like "I think I've failed" but i'm actually sort of a little bit confident about my results and think I've done alright. So is this a normal feeling ?

That's perfectly fine. I personally didn't find my exams too hard but I'm still worrying because I'm not sure if I gave my all in some of them. I'm aiming for almost all A*s and I'd be really annoyed if I didn't get them in my subjects where I got good coursework grades.

Does anyone know how to calm my anxiety? I get nervous about everything these days, especially results day. But I was also really anxious on my holiday last week for no real reason... I just seem to worry when I have no reason to or I worry when I have very little reason. In the case of results day I have got so anxious that I've felt like I need to lie down which isn't particularly good especially when I don't think I'll have done too badly... I don't know. Any help would be great.
Original post by sr-96
Oh, because I'm slightly scared I might miss the a* boundary in biology by a few marks. Do you think I would have a chance of gaining those few extra marks by asking for a remark? :redface:

If you're right and you've just missed out, then speak to your teacher/head of department on results day. They'll be able to guide you based on past experiences with pupils' remarks. Gaining marks following a remark in science is not hugely common, but it does happen so there's always a chance.

If your school say they'll pay for it then you might as well go for it... it might be worth a try :tongue:
But, personally, if you're paying for it yourself then I would advise against a remark/recount in science unless you're only 1 or possibly 2 marks from the boundary.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2557
Original post by tsjmcgrath
That's perfectly fine. I personally didn't find my exams too hard but I'm still worrying because I'm not sure if I gave my all in some of them. I'm aiming for almost all A*s and I'd be really annoyed if I didn't get them in my subjects where I got good coursework grades.

Does anyone know how to calm my anxiety? I get nervous about everything these days, especially results day. But I was also really anxious on my holiday last week for no real reason... I just seem to worry when I have no reason to or I worry when I have very little reason. In the case of results day I have got so anxious that I've felt like I need to lie down which isn't particularly good especially when I don't think I'll have done too badly... I don't know. Any help would be great.

Hihi
:smile:
Regarding results day anxiety I would suggest eating something whilst your receive your results. This may sound so stupid but it distracts your brain, i'd go for something that requires 'effort' to eat e.g a snickers bar.
Also, having a close friend or parent come with you to support you and turn to if need be, is a good idea.
Finally, before you even go for your results take a walk and take time to reflect on possible outcomes, this helps me personally prepare myself and calm myself down. This way you will feel a bit more relaxed going in and coming out.

Oh, wow getting almost all A*s seems impressive so I believe if you relax you should be completely fine:cool:
Reply 2558
Original post by Huffleclaw2416

I'm feeling kind of confident as well, but also scared! It's completely fine to feel however you feel about results day, everyone's different!
Reply 2559
If you're right and you've just missed out, then speak to your teacher/head of department on results day. They'll be able to guide you based on past experiences with pupils' remarks. Gaining marks following a remark in science is not hugely common, but it does happen so there's always a chance.

If your school say they'll pay for it then you might as well go for it... it might be worth a try :tongue:
But, personally, if you're paying for it yourself then I would advise against a remark/recount in science unless you're only 1 or possibly 2 marks from the boundary.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully I just get the grade or am only 1 or 2 marks away! Thank you, you too:smile:

Latest