The Student Room Group

Clearing

I was just wondering if I could have some extra information on clearing and what options there are for a student like myself to take after obtaining my results. It's just I have decided that I would like to go to a different university now but I have already filled in my UCAS application and my accommodation application but would now like to try and get in a different university. I'm going to ring UCAS and the university tomorrow but I was just wondering if I could have some help.
Reply 1
Some information on the courses you want to do and uni would be helpful..
Reply 2
I originally applied for History at Keele and Drama at Lancaster, Leeds, Hull and Liverpool Hope and received conditional offers from all but Leeds. I placed Lancaster as my firm and Keele as my insurance choice. I live in Oldham and have now got a job in the local area and would like to be able to commute much easier for going to University and going to the job, whether that is living at home or living with accommodation. The university that I would now like to go to is the University of Huddersfield where there are offering ABB for History, which was the same entry requirements for Keele and Lancaster.
Reply 3
Original post by guardian
I originally applied for History at Keele and Drama at Lancaster, Leeds, Hull and Liverpool Hope and received conditional offers from all but Leeds. I placed Lancaster as my firm and Keele as my insurance choice. I live in Oldham and have now got a job in the local area and would like to be able to commute much easier for going to University and going to the job, whether that is living at home or living with accommodation. The university that I would now like to go to is the University of Huddersfield where there are offering ABB for History, which was the same entry requirements for Keele and Lancaster.

Well, history at huddersfield still seems to be available so you could call them and see what your chances are before doing anything else
As above.

Call up and explain your situation. Clearing is obviously a risk if you already have a place as you will need to reject it before obtaining your clearing code and of course there is no way to know if you will get a space in clearing. Saying that, its far better to get no space this year after taking a gamble, then to take a course for the sake of it and end up studying a subject for 3 years, wishing you had done something else.

Don't forget you can apply to as many Unis for clearing as you want, so to avoid ending up with nothing, are there other Universities you can apply to that is a good commute? I personally would apply for those even if it adds on more commuting time then you want because at least then, if one accepts you, you have the option to accept or reject. You may end up with a clearing space from a uni that seems a bit too far but I wouldn't want to wait an extra year to go to uni for the sake of a job. This is of course assuming you do not get in to your chosen choice at clearing and I cannot see any reason why you wouldn't but clearing is a bit of a lotto, so just cover all your options!

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by crystal1330
As above.

Call up and explain your situation. Clearing is obviously a risk if you already have a place as you will need to reject it before obtaining your clearing code and of course there is no way to know if you will get a space in clearing. Saying that, its far better to get no space this year after taking a gamble, then to take a course for the sake of it and end up studying a subject for 3 years, wishing you had done something else.

Don't forget you can apply to as many Unis for clearing as you want, so to avoid ending up with nothing, are there other Universities you can apply to that is a good commute? I personally would apply for those even if it adds on more commuting time then you want because at least then, if one accepts you, you have the option to accept or reject. You may end up with a clearing space from a uni that seems a bit too far but I wouldn't want to wait an extra year to go to uni for the sake of a job. This is of course assuming you do not get in to your chosen choice at clearing and I cannot see any reason why you wouldn't but clearing is a bit of a lotto, so just cover all your options!

Good luck!

Thanks very much for your help. I do understand that it is a bit of a lottery and a risk and it's a very nerving term for me at the minute. I'm going to weigh up my options, there are a few uni's that are decent to commute to but I'm not keen on any of them apart from Huddersfield. There's Manchester, Man Met, Salford, Bolton and University Campus Oldham. All of which I'm not really keen on going to. It's just a really difficult time for me at the minute and like you said, I don't really agree on the idea of having a year out just because of a job which is also not that consistent.

Original post by TenOfThem
Well, history at huddersfield still seems to be available so you could call them and see what your chances are before doing anything else

Thanks. Was just wondering, how do you know that?
Reply 6

I live in Oldham too and know a few people living at home and accommodation for Huddersfield. If you don't mind me asking, where is your job? Are they flexible with hours?
Reply 7
Original post by emmajade95
I live in Oldham too and know a few people living at home and accommodation for Huddersfield. If you don't mind me asking, where is your job? Are they flexible with hours?

At the local theatre, and not really. :frown:
ahhhhhh i am in clearing
Reply 9
Should I go into clearing asap? Or wait until I get my results? I don't really understand. :frown:
Should I go into clearing asap? Or wait until I get my results? I don't really understand. :frown:

You don't go into clearing unless you have failed to meet your offers and as you haven't got your results yet, you can't know that. The poster above must have different circumstances to you, such as Scottish qualifications or BTECs if they already know they're in clearing.
Reply 11
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You don't go into clearing unless you have failed to meet your offers and as you haven't got your results yet, you can't know that. The poster above must have different circumstances to you, such as Scottish qualifications or BTECs if they already know they're in clearing.

But this contradicts what TSR's guide on results and clearing states:

If you no longer wish to go to your firm and/or insurance but you met the offer (or they're accepting you with lower grades) then you'll have to phone the universities concerned and ask them to release you. They'll probably want your reasons for doing this, but if you're firm about it they're not going to force you to attend a university you're not fully committed to. They might not release you straight away and it can take up to a couple of days, so do this as soon as possible so you don't miss out on the best places in Clearing.

Ideally, if you knew that this applied to you then you will already have done it before results day. Once your release has been processed, your Clearing number will show on Track. Start phoning around universities with vacancies that you are interested in and provide them with your Clearing number. Admissions tutors will be able to see your full application and might make you a verbal offer.
But this contradicts what TSR's guide on results and clearing states:

If you no longer wish to go to your firm and/or insurance but you met the offer (or they're accepting you with lower grades) then you'll have to phone the universities concerned and ask them to release you. They'll probably want your reasons for doing this, but if you're firm about it they're not going to force you to attend a university you're not fully committed to. They might not release you straight away and it can take up to a couple of days, so do this as soon as possible so you don't miss out on the best places in Clearing.

Ideally, if you knew that this applied to you then you will already have done it before results day. Once your release has been processed, your Clearing number will show on Track. Start phoning around universities with vacancies that you are interested in and provide them with your Clearing number. Admissions tutors will be able to see your full application and might make you a verbal offer.

That's if you wish to withdraw from the offers you have willingly, rather than waiting to be rejected, which looking back at your first post seems to be what you want to do. Sorry, I'm looking at too many clearing threads to remember who I'm replying to! If you want to be released into clearing ahead of your results, then yes, call them and arrange it before Thursday.
Reply 13
That's if you wish to withdraw from the offers you have willingly, rather than waiting to be rejected, which looking back at your first post seems to be what you want to do. Sorry, I'm looking at too many clearing threads to remember who I'm replying to! If you want to be released into clearing ahead of your results, then yes, call them and arrange it before Thursday.

Thank you, do you think it is a bit too late though?
Thank you, do you think it is a bit too late though?

Well, Track is locked down at the moment, so it won't change but you can try to get the universities to agree to reject you so that you can enter clearing on Thursday when it goes live again.
Reply 15
Well, Track is locked down at the moment, so it won't change but you can try to get the universities to agree to reject you so that you can enter clearing on Thursday when it goes live again.

Okay thanks very much for your help. I shall ring my firm and insurance universities tomorrow to ensure I can be released into clearing. :smile:
Okay thanks very much for your help. I shall ring my firm and insurance universities tomorrow to ensure I can be released into clearing. :smile:

Hope it goes well for you.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending