The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2015 - Let the Games Begin

For those who the TC hunt is already underway....

Scroll to see replies

Good luck everybody! You will get there eventually and the waiting is really worth it.
Reply 2
Mate, it's so depressing that you've started this thread two years in a row. Hope you don't have to do a third.
^
loool
Reply 4
For those of you in final year, are you going to be doing applications NOW or wait until final year results in June to apply? :s-smilie: It seems that for most firms I'm interested in, the application dates are from October all the way till July which seems a rather large window... (I'm a law student if it helps). Thanks & good luck to all this year!
Reply 5
Original post by alibaba03
For those of you in final year, are you going to be doing applications NOW or wait until final year results in June to apply? :s-smilie: It seems that for most firms I'm interested in, the application dates are from October all the way till July which seems a rather large window... (I'm a law student if it helps). Thanks & good luck to all this year!

Start applying right now!! The earlier you get your applications in the better. If you start applying now, you won't be waiting to send off applications all in one go - you will inevitably leave them all to the last minute and then end up not applying to as many as you wanted to.

If you start now, you have 9 months to make as many as you want. To get around the grades, you could always send a grade update to all outstanding applications you still have once you receive your final year grades in June.

EDIT: I'm not a final year law student but I have been where you are so that's why I'm putting in my 2 cents.
Reply 6
Good luck all! I've been reading about people applying to the Vac shcemes which have a deadline for the end of this month (30th Oct) and I'm realising how behind I am.

Hopefully we can all keep each other up to date and motivated throughout this arduous process.

EDIT: If anyone knows any tips for verbal reasoning tests please do let me know :smile: Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)
First TC interview of my life next week... With S&M so probably not the last one either haha.

Gotta find a way to explain why in my cover letter I suddenly decided to use "Slaughter & May" in one place rather than "Slaughter and May" like I did everywhere else.

If only that was my only problem....

Scared to death :eek:
Reply 8
Original post by LawOfEntropy
First TC interview of my life next week... With S&M so probably not the last one either haha.

Gotta find a way to explain why in my cover letter I suddenly decided to use "Slaughter & May" in one place rather than "Slaughter and May" like I did everywhere else.

If only that was my only problem....

Scared to death :eek:

GOOOOOOD LUCK!

I've heard they're one of the more "fun" interviewers i.e. it's more like an intellectual chat. Enjoy it and you'll do far better than if you go in there scared. :smile:
Reply 9
Applied for a BLP Winter VS- been offered a Phone Interview for either a). Spring/Summer VS, or b). Training Contract. I'm thinking of just going for the TC (and ditching the VS) - thoughts?
Reply 10
Original post by Med2Ky
Applied for a BLP Winter VS- been offered a Phone Interview for either a). Spring/Summer VS, or b). Training Contract. I'm thinking of just going for the TC (and ditching the VS) - thoughts?

I've done a VS at BLP. I would recommend doing the VS as it stands you in very good stead for a TC. They'll likely interview you in January with the other people who apply for straight TC's anyway, so realistically you'll be putting yourself in a better position if they know you already.
I have been looking at all the TC opportunities. It is sometimes very hard to distinguish between very similar firms, is anyone else finding that?
Original post by [email protected]
I have been looking at all the TC opportunities. It is sometimes very hard to distinguish between very similar firms, is anyone else finding that?

Not sure what you mean exactly.
Most firms will have the same "structure" for the training contract, but that is to be expected. However each firm will have particularities, for example which areas it is good at, how the seats are allocated, what is the firm's culture, clients, international strategy, etc..
It's up to you to do research to go beyond the obvious similarities and find what makes each firm "unique". Best way to do that is through open days or work experience if you can. Otherwise just go through their literature and try to see what the firm is trying to push out. It can be quite hard, that's true, but then I doubt at an interview a firm would ask you "What is the difference between us and firm X?"

But tbh if you're looking for training contracts and aren't sure which of a few firms to apply to, then I'd recommend applying to all of them :colone:
Certainly cannot do you any harm, and it leaves you with various options...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by alibaba03

I'm also a final year :smile: Doing VS apps asap, then will probably fill out the forms gradually before June and just wait on my results then shove them in and send it off the second i get them :smile:
Not sure what you mean exactly.
Most firms will have the same "structure" for the training contract, but that is to be expected. However each firm will have particularities, for example which areas it is good at, how the seats are allocated, what is the firm's culture, clients, international strategy, etc..
It's up to you to do research to go beyond the obvious similarities and find what makes each firm "unique". Best way to do that is through open days or work experience if you can. Otherwise just go through their literature and try to see what the firm is trying to push out. It can be quite hard, that's true, but then I doubt at an interview a firm would ask you "What is the difference between us and firm X?"

But tbh if you're looking for training contracts and aren't sure which of a few firms to apply to, then I'd recommend applying to all of them :colone:
Certainly cannot do you any harm, and it leaves you with various options...

Thanks! I needed to find a way to look at the details of different training contracts without having to look through ALL the sites. I have found a site called Grad Diary that is pretty helpful just to save me a bit of time. Will need to apply to more than 5 as I can't decide between them!
Been rejected from basically every firm i've applied to so far, YOLO
Reply 16
But then I doubt at an interview a firm would ask you "What is the difference between us and firm X?"

Ha, I had that question asked...well in the sense "Why this MC firm and not any other MC firms"? And then also specifically what other firms I'd applied to. After I named a few, I was asked what the difference between Firm A and Firm B was - i.e. two firms from my other applications. And then if I was offered a TC at Firm A or B, which one would I pick and why. I thought it was bizarre. I'm not sure what the point of that.

So be on the lookout for questions about other firms...
Original post by h-g-1
Ha, I had that question asked...well in the sense "Why this MC firm and not any other MC firms"? And then also specifically what other firms I'd applied to. After I named a few, I was asked what the difference between Firm A and Firm B was - i.e. two firms from my other applications. And then if I was offered a TC at Firm A or B, which one would I pick and why. I thought it was bizarre. I'm not sure what the point of that.

So be on the lookout for questions about other firms...

I guess to see that you've targeted a specific type of firm/area of law and not just applied all over the place? And that you've actually thought about your reasons for wanting to work at that type of firm?
Reply 18
Original post by legalwannabe
I guess to see that you've targeted a specific type of firm/area of law and not just applied all over the place? And that you've actually thought about your reasons for wanting to work at that type of firm?

Unfortunately the two firms he picked were quite different in size, although same general practice areas and again they weren't MC either so in one sense not "direct" competitors. I had already attended an Assessment Day for one of them and got invited back to final interview so my answer was a bit all over the place and obviously focused on the firm that I was further along in the application stage.

I was more prepared for Why us vs. them and not why A vs. B so it's worth for those applying to make sure they can voice their reasons in a way that still mean you're what firm C is looking for.
Original post by h-g-1
Unfortunately the two firms he picked were quite different in size, although same general practice areas and again they weren't MC either so in one sense not "direct" competitors. I had already attended an Assessment Day for one of them and got invited back to final interview so my answer was a bit all over the place and obviously focused on the firm that I was further along in the application stage.

I was more prepared for Why us vs. them and not why A vs. B so it's worth for those applying to make sure they can voice their reasons in a way that still mean you're what firm C is looking for.

Ahh I see, I read your initial answer wrong!

As if I wasn't nervous enough about any interviews.... haha. Thanks for the heads up on those kind of questions! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending