The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elixirs
Hihi
:smile:
Regarding results day anxiety I would suggest eating something whilst your receive your results. This may sound so stupid but it distracts your brain, i'd go for something that requires 'effort' to eat e.g a snickers bar.
Also, having a close friend or parent come with you to support you and turn to if need be, is a good idea.
Finally, before you even go for your results take a walk and take time to reflect on possible outcomes, this helps me personally prepare myself and calm myself down. This way you will feel a bit more relaxed going in and coming out.

Oh, wow getting almost all A*s seems impressive so I believe if you relax you should be completely fine:cool:

Haha, well a Snickers would definitely distract me, I'd be having an anaphylactic shock! Those blasted peanuts... But thanks for the advice. It's more the wait to results day really, I just get worried randomly in the day.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if I do get what I'm aiming for, but I'm not good at setting myself low targets really!
Original post by Huffleclaw2416
okay I need to know if this is normal or not. All my friends when asked about results day are like "I think I've failed" but i'm actually sort of a little bit confident about my results and think I've done alright. So is this a normal feeling ?

I'm about 99% sure of what I'll get in 9 of my subjects because I know what I got in my controlled assessments and also went through the papers after I did them with my teacher! I reckon I could probably give a prediction of individual marks as well, so yeah don't worry about not worrying. :tongue:

Having said all this, both the Englishes are a bit of an unknown entity, could go one way or the other.
Original post by tsjmcgrath
That's perfectly fine. I personally didn't find my exams too hard but I'm still worrying because I'm not sure if I gave my all in some of them. I'm aiming for almost all A*s and I'd be really annoyed if I didn't get them in my subjects where I got good coursework grades.

Does anyone know how to calm my anxiety? I get nervous about everything these days, especially results day. But I was also really anxious on my holiday last week for no real reason... I just seem to worry when I have no reason to or I worry when I have very little reason. In the case of results day I have got so anxious that I've felt like I need to lie down which isn't particularly good especially when I don't think I'll have done too badly... I don't know. Any help would be great.

phew okay im not crazy and as for the anxiety try going for a run or do something to distract your brain like a puzzle.
Original post by aasvogel
I'm about 99% sure of what I'll get in 9 of my subjects because I know what I got in my controlled assessments and also went through the papers after I did them with my teacher! I reckon I could probably give a prediction of individual marks as well, so yeah don't worry about not worrying. :tongue:

Having said all this, both the Englishes are a bit of an unknown entity, could go one way or the other.

Same here I already know my maths from January and my ict grades as well as course work and previous results but yeah my English grades remain the biggest uncertainty.
Original post by chloe--
I'm feeling kind of confident as well, but also scared! It's completely fine to feel however you feel about results day, everyone's different!

Phew i'm glad there's some more people feeling the same way as me.
Original post by Huffleclaw2416
Same here I already know my maths from January and my ict grades as well as course work and previous results but yeah my English grades remain the biggest uncertainty.

I went through my papers as soon as I could, everyone else seems to hate post mortems, but I think they're really handy! They've completely taken the pressure off of me for next Thursday in those subjects.

English on the other hand is a different scenario. I think one of them will let me down, probably English Language. Oh well, can't win them all! I just hope it isn't Lit, I did a ton of work for it. ~_~
Original post by aasvogel
I went through my papers as soon as I could, everyone else seems to hate post mortems, but I think they're really handy! They've completely taken the pressure off of me for next Thursday in those subjects.

English on the other hand is a different scenario. I think one of them will let me down, probably English Language. Oh well, can't win them all! I just hope it isn't Lit, I did a ton of work for it. ~_~

I didn't go through my papers but I know i did all the work I could for the exams and for me it's the other way round I think lang went better then the Lit.
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Is there really something called the a* baccalaureate? I only know about the English one? I tried searching it up on the Internet.. But it isn't there? Can someone send me a link or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't get a certificate or anything all it is is a name invented by me for getting in A*s in all the subjects you need to get the English Baccalaureate, when Gove invented this I thought that I must get A*s in the 6 subjects(Language,Maths,2 Sciences,Geog/History and a modern foreign language) and I call this achievement an A* Baccalaureate.
What is the English Baccalaureate and what do you get for doing it?
Original post by Midlander
The MChem like other science masters (except for biology) has the masters incorporated into the undergrad so it counts as a regular year at university-no funding required.

The point of my post wasn't to show off but to show that GCSE results will not seem like a great deal in a few years' time and even less at degree time for those who end up pursuing them. Also, the results day for you guys this year falls on my birthday :wink:

I know GCSE Results are tiny compared to even A-Level but that still doesn't mean they don't mean a lot just that A-Levels are life changers and your life literally depends on them, if you fail then its game over pretty much.
Original post by Dalek1099
I know GCSE Results are tiny compared to even A-Level but that still doesn't mean they don't mean a lot just that A-Levels are life changers and your life literally depends on them, if you fail then its game over pretty much.

You're talking out of your A***. Your life does not literally depend on your A-levels. You can certainly have a good life without any A-levels.
Original post by Red Fox
x

I've been meaning to get back to you!:eek: okay, basically I'll show you the 36 marker... And the structure difference...

HY1:
36 Marker:
To what extent was collective security the main influence on British Foreign Policy between 1902-1939.

A grade:
- Collective Security was an important influence between 1902-1939 as it dominated all decisions made between bla bla and bla bla. You'd talk about examples where this is evident...

- However a bigger influence was that of the need for the British to further trade and protect the empire. This was a big influence as *insert examples* . It was a bigger influence as it was present throughout the whole time period and was also priority and inextricably linked with all parts of foreign policy. Most decisions made were based on this as Britain is an island nation which depends on trade.

- Fear of Germany (or whatever other influences you learnt about and are comfortable with writing about) was also a big influence. *examples* despite it being very important at times, it's.dominance peaked and waned throughout the time period and only lasted for short periods of time. Although it was an influence it didn't last the whole time...

- Another influence and why it isn't the main influence (eg isolation, fear of Russia etc)

- In.conclusion collective security was a big influence because many decisions (eg) were based on it. However it was not the main influence as it only affected one small amount of time.in yhe period of 1902-1939. Other big influences were (list ones you've mentioned in essay along with others you know about but don't explain)

C Grade:
- List everything you know about collective security
- List everything you know about all the other influences

The difference in the C grade is that there is NO mention of why certain influences were bigger and whether they were the main influences. To get an A you evaluate 3/4 arguments in depth. A C is more listing all influences but no comparison between them.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I've been meaning to get back to you!:eek: okay, basically I'll show you the 36 marker... And the structure difference...

HY1:
36 Marker:
To what extent was collective security the main influence on British Foreign Policy between 1902-1939.

A grade:
- Collective Security was an important influence between 1902-1939 as it dominated all decisions made between bla bla and bla bla. You'd talk about examples where this is evident...

- However a bigger influence was that of the need for the British to further trade and protect the empire. This was a big influence as *insert examples* . It was a bigger influence as it was present throughout the whole time period and was also priority and inextricably linked with all parts of foreign policy. Most decisions made were based on this as Britain is an island nation which depends on trade.

- Fear of Germany (or whatever other influences you learnt about and are comfortable with writing about) was also a big influence. *examples* despite it being very important at times, it's.dominance peaked and waned throughout the time period and only lasted for short periods of time. Although it was an influence it didn't last the whole time...

- Another influence and why it isn't the main influence (eg isolation, fear of Russia etc)

- In.conclusion collective security was a big influence because many decisions (eg) were based on it. However it was not the main influence as it only affected one small amount of time.in yhe period of 1902-1939. Other big influences were (list ones you've mentioned in essay along with others you know about but don't explain)

C Grade:
- List everything you know about collective security
- List everything you know about all the other influences

The difference in the C grade is that there is NO mention of why certain influences were bigger and whether they were the main influences. To get an A you evaluate 3/4 arguments in depth. A C is more listing all influences but no comparison between them.

It doesn't seem so bad when you put it like that. I thought you would have to write a world class essay just to pass. Maybe I will do History as a fifth subject.
Original post by Dalek1099

Prince Harry got a B and a D at A-Level. Sometimes I sit and laugh at the sorry excuse of his life...
Original post by Red Fox
It doesn't seem so bad when you put it like that. I thought you would have to write a world class essay just to pass. Maybe I will do History as a fifth subject.

Course not! I read C grade model answers... They were honestly terrible :redface:
Course not! I read C grade model answers... They were honestly terrible :redface:

This makes me laugh because my sister got a D in AS History:biggrin:
Original post by Red Fox
This makes me laugh because my sister got a D in AS History:biggrin:

Maybe her exam board was harder?:colondollar:
Maybe her exam board was harder?:colondollar:

She can't be THAT bad... she has an offer of ABB in all essay subjects at the University of Birmingham and she didn't carry History on to A2. That worried me a bit about History.
Original post by Red Fox
She can't be THAT bad... she has an offer of ABB in all essay subjects at the University of Birmingham and she didn't carry History on to A2. That worried me a bit about History.

Well if I can get an A in yr10, its not impossible!
I'm really nervous for results day. I've literally been counting down the days, I've even installed a countdown on my phone. That's how much I'm thinking about it. Like I know it's not like A levels, but it's the fact of not knowing. I mean, my exams went okay, some were good, some got the response of "I did, alright. Maybe a C, maybe a D."..actually, a lot got that response. I'm just dying to know. 10 days 'til results day. *Takes a breath*..Man I just wish it would hurry up..the suspense is killing me.

Latest