The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Tbf when we need a goal and the striker is being isolated we should put on another striker, but it did leave us pretty open on the counter, if they were more clinical we could have easily conceded off the counter, but nice to see him taking the risk.

Lukaku did well though.

Considering last season for nearly half the games we had Mikel wasting a position playing CDM, we were still conceding possession and goals so would rather have 1 CDM and play 2 strikers. The Anelka and Drogba partnership is something we need to really say we can win the title. Luiz is a liability in defense, would have thought Jose is clever enough to move him to midfield. Ramires is looking good once again, he will be important this upcoming season.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5181
Original post by Malevolent
Yeah man, I see what you meant about Hazard being very Messi like, loads of slaloming runs and tried to keep upright when kicked. If he could chip he would be just :coma:

Essien definitely has better passing ability, Mikel just looks awkward sometimes.

I might have been harsh on Luiz yeah just commenting on what I noticed. Also Cahill was actually sticking to his man for once :ahee:

As you said its just pre-season but I like what I see.

Is it just me, or I feel pretty confident about the united match, even though its away, with the rooney rumours, the way we're playing, their tough schedule and the fact that his first team haven't played much together. I wouldn't be too surprised to see us win. If we get rooney by that time(assuming we still go for him) then it would make it a whole lot easier to beat them.
Reply 5182
Original post by cleveradam
Considering last season for nearly half the games we had Mikel wasting a position playing CDM, we were still conceding possession and goals so would rather have 1 CDM and play 2 strikers. The Anelka and Drogba partnership is something we need to really say we can win the title.

But we would struggle to control the games. We struggled to control games last season with 2 CDM's, how are we going to do it with 1 CDM? Anelka and drogba partnership worked because we packed the midfield, we had ballack, essien, lampard and deco there and cole did a job there too, malouda would play AM in the christmas tree formation.

1 DM and two strikers won't work with the personel we have, but if we were to do this system, who would you have as the DM if we don't get anyone? Only one way I see it working is if we get lukaku or torres to track back whenever the other team gets the ball. Or we play 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation which would work.

Luiz could do the role, but he struggles to be disciplined in defence, if he's run up in the opposition penalty area and we've lost the ball we're screwed. The whole point of him being in midfield is so that he's given more creative freedom. He's not going to be able to do that if we play 2 strikers and 1 DM(unless it's 3-5-2) ramires hasn't been that good. He's ran a lot and given us energy, that's it and that's all there is to his game(bar the important goal) he's only good for the big games when we're underdogs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Is it just me, or I feel pretty confident about the united match, even though its away, with the rooney rumours, the way we're playing, their tough schedule and the fact that his first team haven't played much together. I wouldn't be too surprised to see us win. If we get rooney by that time(assuming we still go for him) then it would make it a whole lot easier to beat them.

I'm pretty confident on you guys going to win the league so? :dontknow:

Not sure how United will do title picture wise but I'm pretty sure they're pencilled in for at least third.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277

I'm pretty sure that fact that Jose is here is playing a massive factor in our head. We will have a very good season but even Jose said "the best years are in the future". We have a young squad and in few years we will be very strong (not that we're not already).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5185
Original post by dan94adibi
I'm pretty sure that fact that Jose is here is playing a massive factor in our head. We will have a very good season but even Jose said "the best years are in the future". We have a young squad and in few years we will be very strong (not that we're not already).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree here. But we finished the season strongly, feel that we should have made 2nd place last season tbh and while our team are young, I feel that against premier league opposition we will be ready. By the best years in the future comment, I assume he means the CL, but there's every suggestion that we can win the prem this season. Although City and United will provide stern opposition.

Arsenal and tottenham will be lurking around too I feel.
Original post by jam277
I agree here. But we finished the season strongly, feel that we should have made 2nd place last season tbh and while our team are young, I feel that against premier league opposition we will be ready. By the best years in the future comment, I assume he means the CL, but there's every suggestion that we can win the prem this season. Although City and United will provide stern opposition.

Arsenal and tottenham will be lurking around too I feel.

Yeah we will definitely be challenging for the premier league title.
I think it will be between us and City this year.
With Jose anything is possible!
Original post by jam277

Same here tbh. Especially if we get Rooney. Just really hope we get him eventually. Him and another CB and then I think we'll be ready.
Reply 5188
Original post by The Assassin
Same here tbh. Especially if we get Rooney. Just really hope we get him eventually. Him and another CB and then I think we'll be ready.

Looking at the suarez situation, I doubt that moyes would sell to us, I think we're going to put in an overpriced bid for him. Hoping we go up to 35m.

Another CB isn't important, I think we'll see a good season from luiz, the roma game was rustyness, but when on form(like in the confed final) he's a man who's unplayable. Just needs to do better in aerial duels and to stop grabbing people obviously in corners. But I like how he gets tight unlike *cough* cahill *cough*

Who would you turn your attentions to if we don't get rooney though? I still think we missed out on soldado, dzeko seems like he's going to get games this season too which is disappointing as he would be another player I'd want.

There's always mirko vucinic and quagliarella though :rofl:
Original post by jam277
Looking at the suarez situation, I doubt that moyes would sell to us, I think we're going to put in an overpriced bid for him. Hoping we go up to 35m.

Another CB isn't important, I think we'll see a good season from luiz, the roma game was rustyness, but when on form(like in the confed final) he's a man who's unplayable. Just needs to do better in aerial duels and to stop grabbing people obviously in corners. But I like how he gets tight unlike *cough* cahill *cough*

Who would you turn your attentions to if we don't get rooney though? I still think we missed out on soldado, dzeko seems like he's going to get games this season too which is disappointing as he would be another player I'd want.

There's always mirko vucinic and quagliarella though :rofl:

Sorry man but I don't like our defence at all. The fact that Terry is still our best CB concerns me. I really don't feel secure with them at the back. Cahill might improve under Mourinho but he's largely inefficient for my liking. Ivanovic is good but he operates better as a RB and he'll end up playing there more this season. Luiz is quality when he wants to be but he's 26 now -- not sure if he'll stop goofing around any time soon. If we keep Luiz in CB then we'll need a DM who can actually, you know, function well in terms of defence. In the top teams their playerss can rip through our defence as we've seen last season -- we've conceded a lot of silly goals last season too that we should've avoided.

I don't want Luiz in defence against the United game either lol. He practically gifts them a goal each time he plays.

Terry is aging as well so how much will he be able to play. And then what if one of our CBs gets injured.

--

If not Rooney then Ibrahimovic. If not him then, erm, I don't know. Where the hell has Aguero been? If not him either then, well, beg Drogba to come back! :redface: How about Jackson Martinez? 26 goals IIRC this season which is pretty impressive...

No joke Quagliarella came into my mind when you said that. But not that I want him. I just saw an article recently stating that he'd be a good alternative for Rooney and I just found it laughable. Norwich City want to sign him ffs. Norwich!!!! Juventus want to get rid of him as well now that they have a competent strikeforce.

To sum:

CB: Don't care if he's young or old, just make sure he's good. Only one we're linked with is the highly rated Doria for around 7m.
ST: Rooney - 40m. How much would Ibra cost though?
DM: Gustavo - 15m. Unless we move Luiz to DM but in that case we'd definitely need a CB.

Done.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5190
Sorry man but I don't like our defence at all. The fact that Terry is still our best CB concerns me. I really don't feel secure with them at the back. Cahill might improve under Mourinho but he's largely inefficient for my liking. Ivanovic is good but he operates better as a RB and he'll end up playing there more this season. Luiz is quality when he wants to be but he's 26 now -- not sure if he'll stop goofing around any time soon. If we keep Luiz in CB then we'll need a DM who can actually, you know, function well in terms of defence. In the top teams their playerss can rip through our defence as we've seen last season -- we've conceded a lot of silly goals last season too that we should've avoided.

I don't want Luiz in defence against the United game either lol. He practically gifts them a goal each time he plays.

Terry is aging as well so how much will he be able to play. And then what if one of our CBs gets injured.

--

If not Rooney then Ibrahimovic. If not him then, erm, I don't know. Where the hell has Aguero been? If not him either then, well, beg Drogba to come back! :redface: How good has Jackson Martinez been? 26 goals IIRC this season which is pretty impressive...

No joke Quagliarella came into my mind when you said that. But not that I want him. I just saw an article recently stating that he'd be a good alternative for Rooney and I just found it laughable. Norwich City want to sign him ffs. Norwich!!!! Juventus want to get rid of him as well now that they have a competent strikeforce.

To sum:

CB: Don't care if he's young or old, just make sure he's good. Only one we're linked with is the highly rated Doria for around 7m.
DM: Gustavo - 15m. Unless we move Luiz to DM but in that case we'd definitely need a CB.

Done.

We need a dante player who will shore us up and lead tbh and there are players like that around. Terry still has a lot to offer though and I think he's been underrated tbh
If we got a new DM we'd have to get rid of Mikel. But until then we shouldn't get a new DM. Personally I'm fine with essien though. Just not mikel. Also if we want to integrate chalobah, I don't think it's a good idea getting too many DM's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5192

--

If not Rooney then Ibrahimovic. If not him then, erm, I don't know. Where the hell has Aguero been? If not him either then, well, beg Drogba to come back! :redface: How about Jackson Martinez? 26 goals IIRC this season which is pretty impressive...

To sum:

Done.

I get where you're coming from. I agree that if Luiz doesn't get rid of his regular defensive brainfarts, then it is best to move him to the DM role. And if that is the case, then it is necessary to bring in a quality CB. Or hope that the other CB options currently in the Chelsea squad do a good job.

However, Luiz is a top class CB on his day. If he can keep up that level consistently, then your defence is strong.

Regarding the ST/CF position, I agree that if you want to guarantee the league title this season, then a new ST/CF is a must. But I can't help feeling that in the long term, giving Lukaku a lot of experience this season will help him become a good striker in the 2014/15 season. Which ensures that you will have a good striker on your hands for the next 10 years, rather than having to worry about spending £50+ million on a new striker in about 5 years time after getting someone like Rooney now.

Besides, if Lukaku doesn't quite cut it this season, Ba might do a good job upfront with a good run of games (which he didn't have last season).

In conclusion, the squad that Chelsea currently have is nowhere near the finished article. Which is why I have my doubts about Chelsea winning the league this season. But with some vital experience this season, they could become a great squad for years to come, ensuring plenty of league titles, cups and the odd CL title here and there in your future trophy cabinet.
(edited 10 years ago)
I hope Torres regains his form it would be a great shame to see him regress into mediocrity given his history and talent.
Reply 5194
Original post by kidomo
I hope Torres regains his form it would be a great shame to see him regress into mediocrity given his history and talent.

Agreed.

Torres was one of my favourite players since his Atletico days. It's really sad if he retires as a clown of a striker/footballer.
Reply 5195
I'd say that City are the only team that are the finished article. I haven't watched too much of them in preseason to make a judgement on their title credentials but they have quality all over the squad. I still think that they'll find it hard to begin with if pellegrini alters their style of play a lot but will come strong by november.

With moyes I'm pretty much expecting a bad start with the run of games, but again they'll come strong.
I think we'll start off well though considering our run of games, our manager and the depth in our squad for the most part. We have a lot of depth in CM now so even if we don't have the key man we have different players to suit different games which almost compensates for that, united have done this technique for years in CM which is why it's rarely affected them in the league having average CM's.

I'd like to think that with mourinho's record at every team he's managed and his tactical adaptability that we'd probably have a pretty positive eventful season though.
Seems the Eto'o rumours are getting stronger right now. Would you guys be happy with him here instead of Rooney? Haven't watched him in Russia but he's scored 25 goals in 50 appearances. Normally very good, but I would've though he we get a bit more considering his 300k+ weekly salary and that it league isn't particularly strong. Think he's lost a lot of pace as well. Unless of course he takes a big pay cut and we get him for 10m or less, then that'd be okay but still, wouldn't be my second choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5197
Seems the Eto'o rumours are getting stronger right now. Would you guys be happy with him here instead of Rooney? Haven't watched him in Russia but he's scored 25 goals in 50 appearances. Normally very good, but I would've though he we get a bit more considering his 300k+ weekly salary and that it league isn't particularly strong. Unless of course he takes a big pay cut and we get him for 10m or so, then that'd be okay.

I would to an extent. I don't think he'll get a giant goal tally, he'd be decent though. Works hard, great pace. He's not the eto'o he was at inter where he was an absolute beast with milito. Personally think we should go to italy for a couple signings or spain due to their financial situations.
Original post by jam277
I would to an extent. I don't think he'll get a giant goal tally, he'd be decent though. Works hard, great pace. He's not the eto'o he was at inter where he was an absolute beast with milito. Personally think we should go to italy for a couple signings or spain due to their financial situations.

Most of the comments on the SS website are quite discouraging -- one of them noting that the situation could be similar to when Shevchenko came here (which would be pretty annoying) / saying he's lost a lot of pace which would reduce his efficiency here in the PL, and others noting that he's that he's past it and does a lot mistakes that he shouldn't be doing.. Doesn't look like many are in favour lol but it's whatever I guess.

Not aware of who we could get in Italy / Spain who'd help us a lot?
There's this top striker called Bendtner for sale I've heard, you guys should have a word with your manager*

*it might work

Latest