The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Just found this thread and I fully appreciate it :tongue: I just don't see the point, really, and don't like anything I've tried! I'm not a huge party person either so freshers should be interesting lol :redface: anyone going to Dundee?
Original post by NJam
How have I not seen this post before?! Also hopefully going to Durham for Maths & Physics - hi! :P

Hola! At which college?
Reply 502
Original post by wrexhamfc
Hola! At which college?

St. Johns - though my application was open, and yourself?
Original post by NJam
St. Johns - though my application was open, and yourself?

I'm at Grey. Hope to see you there!
I'm going to Strathclyde along with two friends who both love drinking, and the uni has tonnes of freshers events announce. However, I have horrible anxiety and being around drunk people in a clubbing situation has given me panic attacks before, so I feel like the only person not looking forward to it!

Even before developing anxiety I didn't like drinking/partying, I feel like the only one!
Original post by IAmCookie
I'm going to Strathclyde along with two friends who both love drinking, and the uni has tonnes of freshers events announce. However, I have horrible anxiety and being around drunk people in a clubbing situation has given me panic attacks before, so I feel like the only person not looking forward to it!

Even before developing anxiety I didn't like drinking/partying, I feel like the only one!

-hugs- You're not the only one chick. Out of curiousity, are Strath aware of your anxiety?
There should be events that don't involve alcohol.
Original post by .snowflake.
-hugs- You're not the only one chick. Out of curiousity, are Strath aware of your anxiety?
There should be events that don't involve alcohol.

No, I only developed it within the past few months so never mentioned it anywhere! I think I'll be okay with the daytime events, but when in club situations I just fall to pieces :') I'm totally fine with not going to these events but I hope I'll be able to meet people like me!

Thank you :3
Reply 507
Forget the beer and go for the orange juice or protein shake! At least then, we won't be hungover for the lecture the following morning!
Reply 508
Holla :smile: I'm a second year student at Cambridge, and I remember being really scared before I came to uni about the whole drinking culture. Don't panic - real friends will totally respect your decision, and there is a *massive* spectrum of people at uni: you will not be the only teetotaler!
Original post by IAmCookie
No, I only developed it within the past few months so never mentioned it anywhere! I think I'll be okay with the daytime events, but when in club situations I just fall to pieces :') I'm totally fine with not going to these events but I hope I'll be able to meet people like me!

Thank you :3

I would mention it, stops them completely freaking the hell out when you go and have a panic attack in labs/ lectures/ tutorials.
Original post by Ruffiio
Anyone going UCLAN? The word teetotal originated in Preston, and it's history, from wikipedia;

The Institution for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge was founded in 1828 by Joseph Livesey's Temperance Society. The society was born from a pledge made by seven Preston working men (whose names can be seen on a plaque in the university's library) to never again consume alcohol.

And yet there isn't even a teetotal society at UCLAN, which is traitorous. I might just go set one up if i get in. Wonder how hard that will be though ^_^

Interesting, I've never seen the plaque despite my numerous all-nighters in that library. Yeah... I wouldn't see up a society. Trust, you'll be a drinker by the end. :biggrin:
It would be fun if everyone on here could come if we had a TSR non-drinkers freshers meet. That actually would be pretty cool, but people would have to travel to a centralised location!
Reply 512
Original post by shezshez
Interesting, I've never seen the plaque despite my numerous all-nighters in that library. Yeah... I wouldn't see up a society. Trust, you'll be a drinker by the end. :biggrin:

All your money from student finance says I wont.
Reply 513
Original post by James A
It would be fun if everyone on here could come if we had a TSR non-drinkers freshers meet. That actually would be pretty cool, but people would have to travel to a centralised location!

Meeting with strangers over the internet unless by inevitable means such as going to the same university would be the act of an imbecile. That whole meetup thread is full of imbeciles.
Original post by Ruffiio
All your money from student finance says I wont.

Interesting, no drink at all? Any particular reason?
Reply 515
Original post by shezshez
Interesting, no drink at all? Any particular reason?

Because I don't want to, not much to it really. I just don't like the idea of inviting alcohol into my system at all. I'll still go out clubbing and have fun though :banana:
Original post by Ruffiio
Because I don't want to, not much to it really. I just don't like the idea of inviting alcohol into my system at all. I'll still go out clubbing and have fun though :banana:

Yeah, I get it. I've been out plenty of times this year not drinking at all. Some of my best nights have been completely sober. Watching all the zombiesque people at the end of the night.

Though we have turned non-drinkers into some sub-standard lightweights this year too :P
Here's hoping someone at Bristol will want to just drink tea and eat cake.... !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Here's hoping someone at Bristol will want to just drink tea and eat cake.... !

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking the same thing about Aberdeen Uni :P
Reply 519
Not enough action on this thread, we are in the minority :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest