The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Clinical Sciences at the University of Bradford

Scroll to see replies

Hi all

Have you all booked your Student Accommodation?

If not then look what we have to offer BRAND NEW for Sep 2013

Sunbridge Halls

Free iPads, 32" Smart TV, Sky TV in every room.

These start from 99pw
And are Bradford first Boutique student apartments.

To book a viewing call:
Karl on:
01274 945908
07954 240992

See pics
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921433.435625.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921441.068742.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921448.468945.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921457.485423.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921465.001813.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921473.268277.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921481.088301.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1369921167.307763.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by Samya
Hi there,

Thank you for starting the thread, i think a lot of people will find it useful.
I have managed to get an interview for the Clinical sciences, its in a few weeks time, and like you, I hope to get into medicine at Leeds. I'm not your regular medical student, I didnt do great at GCSE or my A levels.
I'm nervous about my interview, could you please let me know what kinda stuff they ask? I'm 26 and havent been to uni so I'm struggling to even comprehend what they will ask.

Thanks and takecare

what did u getat a levels, and in which subjects if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by SU21
I was a Clin Scier and would definitely recommend the course to anyone who is thinking of doing medicine.

I came into first year and got to the Leeds interview stage but I didnt get an offer too. But I did get an offer in the end and the benefit of being a graduate has definitely helped!

Any questions feel free to ask!

Did u get an offer after u finished the foundation clinical science 4 year study onto graduate medicine in Leeds?? Is that possible
Original post by 12345po
Hi
I'm currently predicted BCD (and a B for GENERAL STUDIES).. and I've based my statement on phsyiology since I'm applying to that at other UNIS.. I don't really have any experience apart from joining 4 different sports.. attending taster lectures and a whole wad of extra curricular and biology. Do you guys thinks it's too late for me to get an offer? Or if I have chance of getting a offer?
I'm really freaking out as most of my friends have perfect offers and statements and I just feel a little down...

Thankyou!

So did u get an offer??
Original post by SU21
I was a Clin Scier and would definitely recommend the course to anyone who is thinking of doing medicine.

I came into first year and got to the Leeds interview stage but I didnt get an offer too. But I did get an offer in the end and the benefit of being a graduate has definitely helped!

Any questions feel free to ask!

Hi there...i just finished foundation clin sci and im just awaiting interview requests, however i have started preparing all the same.. are there any pointer you could give me for the mmi ...like, how long you spent prepapring, which topic areas you had to come across in your interview etc? any advice would be appreciated? thx :smile:
Hi, Hi what did u do for your personal statement, I mean what was it based on? I am thinking about applying to this course but also Adult Nursing is it ok for my personal statement to be based on Nursing as I really don't know what to do?
answers will be appreciated and do you have to have science GCSE as, I did Level 2 science?
Original post by Epsilon1234
Hello Samya

I hope you are well. But yeah don't worry about the interview it is not as bad as you might think most if not all of the lecturers are really friendly. You will be interviewed based on your personal statement so if yours is on medicine then be prepared for a medical interview.

As i did not really have any chance of getting into medicine the first time round through UCAS my personal statement was on pharmacy BUT i immediately told them the truth during the interview so this was not a problem.

I cant tell you what questions will come up this year because my interview was almost four years ago but i can give you some idea as to what you should be able to answer based on my interview:

>Why clinical sciences?...I want to do medicine/pharmacy etc...therefore...Why medicine?
>You need to be able to talk about your work experience...no description...ONLY WHAT you learnt!
>Prepare examples when you showed responsibility,teamwork,communication etc
>Know your personal statement...YOU WILL get asked on the work experiences or anything you have written down.
>If its been a while since you have been in education and you don't think you can talk about something sciency if it comes up...then memorise something...i remember talking about cystic fibrosis- they were really impressed with that.
>If you have written hobbies down then make sure you can talk about them a little.

to be honest if youve been selected for interview then you just have to show them that your a likeable person and you have what it takes - i know its really cliched but for my more recent medical interviews - I basically distracted myself and took along a friend to make sure that i was distracted from worrying - that helped alot!!! if you start to think about the interview JUST before the interview...DONT...distract yourself and try to calm down...the interviewers will help you to do that hopefully.

i dont know if that was helpful enough but if you have any more questions...(possibly more about the course or the transfer process than the actual interview)... then please feel free to ask...

finally good luck to you SAMYA!
[iA you will be fine]
Hi, what did u do for your personal statement, I mean what was it based on? I am thinking about applying to this course but also Adult Nursing is it ok for my personal statement to be based on Nursing? But shall I tell them that I want to study medicine.
Original post by nadzworldz
Hi, Hi what did u do for your personal statement, I mean what was it based on? I am thinking about applying to this course but also Adult Nursing is it ok for my personal statement to be based on Nursing as I really don't know what to do?
answers will be appreciated and do you have to have science GCSE as, I did Level 2 science?

It maybe alright. My one was based solely on medicine, then again, I didn't apply for much more... just do some more searching on other threads and see if its ok to to have a nursing PS. I am sure i read somewhere that it is, because they understand you are applying for other stuff and after clinical sciences course some people go into nursing, yeah, I believe it is alright :smile:
Original post by BlueSparkleDust
It maybe alright. My one was based solely on medicine, then again, I didn't apply for much more... just do some more searching on other threads and see if its ok to to have a nursing PS. I am sure i read somewhere that it is, because they understand you are applying for other stuff and after clinical sciences course some people go into nursing, yeah, I believe it is alright :smile:
Thanks:smile:. But the reason I haven't created a personal statement based on medicine is that I won't be applying to medical school as I haven't studied the relevant subjects do you think it is still possible for me to go into medicine though BSc clinical science?
Hey everyone I thought I should create a thread regarding the clinical sciences course in the University of Bradford because I have noticed there aren't any.

When I was applying I had a lot of questions about the whole transfer scheme to medicine and what my chances were and I would have really appreciated it if I could speak to someone regarding the whole process. I came in through the foundation year and was selected for interview at the Leeds school of medicine but unfortunately I was rejected...I knew that medicine was what I really wanted to do so I stayed on to the final year - and thankfully I finally got a place in medicine.

So yeah if you have any questions, want any advice about the course or city etcetera then feel free to ask...I will try my best to answer as realistically and as best as I can.

If you want to do medicine but you didn't quite get the grades like me in GCSEs and A levels but you feel as though you are more than capable then there's still a chance believe me my academic history is really poor and not typical of your average medical applicant.

I don't profess to be the best person at doing this sort of thing, in fact I have never done it before, but I had always said that if ever I got into medicine I would do my best to try and help those others who were desperately struggling.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
But the reason I haven't created a personal statement based on medicine is that I won't be applying to medical school as I haven't studied the relevant subjects do you think it is still possible for me to go into medicine though BSc clinical science?
Thanks:smile:. But the reason I haven't created a personal statement based on medicine is that I won't be applying to medical school as I haven't studied the relevant subjects do you think it is still possible for me to go into medicine though BSc clinical science?

You would have to do more searching on this forum for a bit more answers but I believe it would be fine to do a nursing PS because they understand not much unis do clinical sciences, if any! And they know not everyone on the clinical sciences course wants to do medicine. My best advice for you is to email admissions, they are really helpful with questions like this. But I believe you will be fine with a nursing PS. Good luck :wink:

P.S. Go on the bradford uni site for the admissions email
Reply 231
Is the exam hard for the clinical science at Bradford ? is it like A level chemistry/biology. Is it achievable for someone with C's at Alevel. Also will i need to sit the UKCAT as Im terrible at that. Can I go through clearing and secure a place for this course
Original post by S_1994
Is the exam hard for the clinical science at Bradford ? is it like A level chemistry/biology. Is it achievable for someone with C's at Alevel. Also will i need to sit the UKCAT as Im terrible at that. Can I go through clearing and secure a place for this course

Well it depends which year of the course your on about I guess, foundation will be similar to Bio/Chem at A level and after that it will be much harder. You don't need to sit the UKCAT to get on to the course, only if you want to transfer to medicine. I don't think you can get on the course through clearing as it is way to competive, I think 9/1 this year.
yes UKCAT is competitive....if you are good at Decision Analysis and Reasoning you can do it..
You would have to do more searching on this forum for a bit more answers but I believe it would be fine to do a nursing PS because they understand not much unis do clinical sciences, if any! And they know not everyone on the clinical sciences course wants to do medicine. My best advice for you is to email admissions, they are really helpful with questions like this. But I believe you will be fine with a nursing PS. Good luck :wink:

P.S. Go on the Bradford uni site for the admissions email
OK thank you:smile: , but do you think it would be possible for me to get into medicine as I am also applying to Nursing? As I will apply directly into a nursing course to get into nursing not through clinical science as I have the formal qualification to get into nursing, however since I was a small child I always wanted to become a Doctor however I don't have the relevant qualifications so I thought this could be the only route to get into medicine. Do you think it is possible? I mean I will phone up the the admission to find out more information.
Any answers will be appreciated Thanks.
OK thank you:smile: , but do you think it would be possible for me to get into medicine as I am also applying to Nursing? As I will apply directly into a nursing course to get into nursing not through clinical science as I have the formal qualification to get into nursing, however since I was a small child I always wanted to become a Doctor however I don't have the relevant qualifications so I thought this could be the only route to get into medicine. Do you think it is possible? I mean I will phone up the the admission to find out more information.
Any answers will be appreciated Thanks.

Do you graduate entry way? You could through GEM, definitely, well requiring you pass other criteria for your chosen medical school.
Reply 236
Original post by jeromejones
Well it depends which year of the course your on about I guess, foundation will be similar to Bio/Chem at A level and after that it will be much harder. You don't need to sit the UKCAT to get on to the course, only if you want to transfer to medicine. I don't think you can get on the course through clearing as it is way to competive, I think 9/1 this year.

Clinical sciences is always in clearing, thats how I got in last year and they were still in clearing 2 weeks later as that's how a friend of mine got in. If you think about it most people with offers are people wanting to do medicine and have it as their insurance, most of these people get in to their first choice and so many places are available for clearing. You don't have to sit the UKCAT to transfer as I transferred to Leeds this year and was never asked to sit it.
Do you graduate entry way? You could through GEM, definitely, well requiring you pass other criteria for your chosen medical school.
Ok what does that exactly mean?:smile:
Reply 238
Hey everyone I thought I should create a thread regarding the clinical sciences course in the University of Bradford because I have noticed there aren't any.

When I was applying I had a lot of questions about the whole transfer scheme to medicine and what my chances were and I would have really appreciated it if I could speak to someone regarding the whole process. I came in through the foundation year and was selected for interview at the Leeds school of medicine but unfortunately I was rejected...I knew that medicine was what I really wanted to do so I stayed on to the final year - and thankfully I finally got a place in medicine.

So yeah if you have any questions, want any advice about the course or city etcetera then feel free to ask...I will try my best to answer as realistically and as best as I can.

If you want to do medicine but you didn't quite get the grades like me in GCSEs and A levels but you feel as though you are more than capable then there's still a chance believe me my academic history is really poor and not typical of your average medical applicant.

I don't profess to be the best person at doing this sort of thing, in fact I have never done it before, but I had always said that if ever I got into medicine I would do my best to try and help those others who were desperately struggling.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi,

Do you know how many people, on average, each year get onto the 1st year medicine at Leeds. I'm thinking about doing this course but can't decide if my chances of getting into medicine will be greater this way or reapplying next year through UCAS.

Thanks
Original post by tashmidd
Hi,

Do you know how many people, on average, each year get onto the 1st year medicine at Leeds. I'm thinking about doing this course but can't decide if my chances of getting into medicine will be greater this way or reapplying next year through UCAS.

Thanks

The course is no longer in clearing :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending