The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OwlPatronus
A2 English Lit, English Lang, Philosophy and Psychology. I need A*AA, but goodness knows whether that will actually happen. :eyeroll: Yourself?

Oh gosh, you're one of those :mmm: that must be one hell of a workload! Philosophy and the English sound good... :colone:

Aah, you feeling okay about them? They're so subjective!

I'm awaiting... AS History and A2 Mathematics, so two very different ones :ahee:
Original post by JamesTheCool
I might be rude, and I might come across as generalising, but at least I base my generalisations on real-life observations. Kids who go to private schools or have pushy parents who shove textbooks down their throats always end up at a much better place than everyone else, it's not right. Class has such a strong influence on someone's achievement, it makes me sick. Education in this country is rigged. It's a joke. I'm not as envious as you'd think; my parents are middle-class themselves and they didn't push me. They only wanted me to be happy unlike a lot of these dinner-party show-offs.

a) You can support your kids and want them to be happy without being pushy.
b) Why is it a problem that parents who push their children have smarter children? Of course that's going to happen. Just like the best athletes were pushed very hard as children by their parents. If you practice, you get better. You don't need money to be pushy.
c) Class has a massive effect on achievement because the notion of class is linked to beliefs. The belief in the power and importance of education is a very middle-class belief. It has nothing to do with money.
Reply 3662
Original post by JamesTheCool
I might be rude, and I might come across as generalising, but at least I base my generalisations on real-life observations. Kids who go to private schools or have pushy parents who shove textbooks down their throats always end up at a much better place than everyone else, it's not right. Class has such a strong influence on someone's achievement, it makes me sick. Education in this country is rigged. It's a joke. I'm not as envious as you'd think; my parents are middle-class themselves and they didn't push me. They only wanted me to be happy unlike a lot of these dinner-party show-offs.

Basing your generalisations on anecdotal evidence is pure stupidity, plain and simple. The fact you think this is a redeeming quality of your generalising is even worse.

There are good private schools and bad private schools, and good and bad state schools. Kids who go to schools offering good educations end up at better places, which makes sense.

Class? Have you heard of scholarships? Bursaries?

Of course children with pushy parents will often do better. That does not mean that everybody who surpasses your academic achievements is the product of such parenting, or a high class background.

I went to a private school on a scholarship, with one of my parents actively trying to stop me from going because of a worry about costs.

You're making excuses for your own feelings of inadequacy, telling yourself "I could have been much better if someone had given me a chance; a better education, more encouraging parents, a higher class".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ndella
I hate how I'm the only one on this forum who does History with AQA lol:angry: Well my sixth form says that we need at least a grade D to continue at A2, which I'm certain that's the grade I will attain at least. Failing that, I will probably go to another collge and retake my AS year. Right now I am considering taking a gap year since I have no experience in anything, and my personal statement was a joke. How about you? :smile:

I'll probably just cry in my room for 3 weeks and retake my as history classes, or I'll change the degree I want to do and choose something different. I know what you men about the personal statement, mine is just pathetic and embarrassing, and I can't find a job so there isn't even that to talk about!
Original post by Arva
Your making excuses for your own feelings of inadequacy, telling yourself "I could have been much better if someone had given me a chance; a better education, more encouraging parents, a higher class".

You're*

Revenge, b****!

But I agree with you :tongue:
Reply 3665
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:ahee: so what results are you awaiting?

Funnily enough, Oxford is taking precedence :lol: (although if I was by some strike of dumb chance, lucky enough to get an offer from Oxford it'd most likely be AAA right? And so it'll probably be an insurance... Because the others are A*AA :teeth: and I like their courses)

Scrap that. It's A*AA... And York is AA A/B :eek:

Don't apply to Oxford if you're going to insure it. Waste of a choice.

Besides, for sciences you will definitely need an A* anyway. :tongue:
Reply 3666
Original post by PythianLegume
You're*

Revenge, b****!

But I agree with you :tongue:

FUUUUUUUU******.

You got me bitch :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by Arva
FUUUUUUUU******.

You got me bitch :wink:

Spoiler

Well, if I realised TSR didn't block the word bitch, I wouldn't have starred it out... I've been a fool.
Reply 3668
Are there any Year 12s which are awaiting for their results - particularly in the Sciences and Languages!?

How did you think you had done generally?
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arva
Don't apply to Oxford if you're going to insure it. Waste of a choice.

Besides, for sciences you will definitely need an A* anyway. :tongue:

I don't know if I'll insure it... I'd weigh things up after I get (if I got) offer...

Aah, if they had an official year abroad I'd do it with them... :colonhash:
Reply 3670
Original post by Paramore<3
Precisely! I guess I'll kind of appreciate not having to go back in... I'll just have to find something to do. :frown: It'll be that weird mix of excitement and nervousness, but yeah, wait and see. :s-smilie: Good luck! What subjects have you done? :smile:

Good luck to you too! :biggrin: I did Maths, Biology, Psychology and History. Definitely dropping history and i think I'll be taking up AS Further Maths and i'll have to self teach a lot of it because my timetable doesn't allow me to go to all the lessons :frown: What about you? :P (you've probably said this previously but i'd have to look for a while ahaha)
Reply 3671
2 days 18 hours and11 minutes till UCAS goes live 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3672
Original post by PythianLegume
Well, if I realised TSR didn't block the word bitch, I wouldn't have starred it out... I've been a fool.

I can't believe you caught me out... In all my posts here I don't think I've ever made that mistake before. :lol:

You are the first! Be proud.

You are also my nemesis now. Wherever you may go, whatever you may do, I will always be one step ahead, waiting for you to slip up so I can quote you with glee and go "you're* "

:cool:
Original post by sneha.vag
:awesome: Actuarial Science :smile:

sounds pretty interesting :smile:
3 days to go! ****!! :eek:
Original post by ve_1995
Well for my A levels I'll need at least AAB. So for AS hopefully I'll get at least that, if I get any C's this year then I'll definitely have to retake :/ what about you?

AAA for UEA, but the for one of my reserves A*AA :\ oh good luck with that, what subjects do you do?
Original post by maryamzahid
sounds pretty interesting :smile:

It is! :smile:
Reply 3677
Oh my goodness I feel siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick :frown:
Oh gosh, you're one of those :mmm: that must be one hell of a workload! Philosophy and the English sound good... :colone:

Aah, you feeling okay about them? They're so subjective!

I'm awaiting... AS History and A2 Mathematics, so two very different ones :ahee:

I suppose I am. :tongue: Yeah, my head of year was very reluctant to let me keep all four because apparently that's a privilege reserved for science students?! And what on earth is wrong with Psychology?! :tongue:

My AS grades are good enough to stop me being too worried about the As, but exams this year ranged from mediocre at best to utterly catastrophic at worst, so I'm pretty terrified about Thursday... The subjectivity really doesn't help matters, either.

Good luck with them! Are you feeling confident?
I don't know if I'll insure it... I'd weigh things up after I get (if I got) offer...

Aah, if they had an official year abroad I'd do it with them... :colonhash:

Why not just do a year abroad before University or just afterwards?

I'm not saying that it is wrong to reject Oxbridge, but you may want to consider why almost everyone who gets an offer puts it as their first choice. I could share why I changed my mind about Cambridge, but I think it's best to discover or make these decisions largely on your own.

Latest