The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OwlPatronus
I suppose I am. :tongue: Yeah, my head of year was very reluctant to let me keep all four because apparently that's a privilege reserved for science students?! And what on earth is wrong with Psychology?! :tongue:

My AS grades are good enough to stop me being too worried about the As, but exams this year ranged from mediocre at best to utterly catastrophic at worst, so I'm pretty terrified about Thursday... The subjectivity really doesn't help matters, either.

Good luck with them! Are you feeling confident?

:eek: reserved for scienve students :lolwut: that'd have annoyed me if someone said that :lol:

Psychology is just loads of case studies :sadnod: I was looking through the AS/2 textbooks and it was too much content!

:eek: well, hopefully you'll be fine :yy:

Thanks :biggrin: I'm confident about history, maths I'm certain of an A, but I want the A*, however, C4 clashed with my GCSEs (Chemistry) and I messed it up:redface:

Original post by Pleonasm
Why not just do a year abroad before University or just afterwards?

I'm not saying that it is wrong to reject Oxbridge, but you may want to consider why almost everyone who gets an offer puts it as their first choice. I could share why I changed my mind about Cambridge, but I think it's best to discover or make these decisions largely on your own.

I was wondering if I could apply for deferred entry at Oxbridge and then normal for the rest?

What was your reason?
Reply 3681
Original post by Ché.
Are there any Year 12s which are awaiting for their results - particularly in the Sciences and Languages!?

How did you think you had done generally?
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup! I'm doing chemistry and biology I love chemistry but I'm keeping my expectations low so I don't feel disappointed when I actually see the results.
I have roughly 2 days 18 hours and 52 minutes left of happiness :s-smilie:
Original post by Arva
Basing your generalisations on anecdotal evidence is pure stupidity, plain and simple. The fact you think this is a redeeming quality of your generalising is even worse.

Okay, this is really hard to explain to people who are clearly just pro-privitisation, right-wing fruitcakes. Of course you're gonna throw the 'generalisation' accusation on me and make me believe I'm prejudiced, you have nothing better to attack really. Okay, perhaps I am a bit prejudiced, perhaps my argument is a bit flawed in that I haven't carried it out like a university project, but I think I've based my generalisations on enough examples to make it a noteworthy generalisation. One thing I can say is that all of the people in my school who went to Russell Group universities also came from rich households. I think that's more than just a coincidence...

I'm equally irked by this working class tendency to think that academic failure is cool. My hatred and 'prejudices' aren't only fixated on the middle classes. I hate ALL classes.

Original post by Arva
There are good private schools and bad private schools, and good and bad state schools. Kids who go to schools offering good educations end up at better places, which makes sense.

Of course it makes sense, but do you not think there's something wrong that?

Original post by Arva
Class? Have you heard of scholarships? Bursaries?

Yes I have heard of scholarships and bursaries. Aren't people who receive them in the minority though? Besides, most teenagers just want to be in the same secondary schools as the friends they already made in primary schools. Standard of education doesn't mean a thing to most teenagers until they reach GCSE and A-Levels when it actually starts to matter...

Original post by Arva
Of course children with pushy parents will often do better. That does not mean that everybody who surpasses your academic achievements is the product of such parenting, or a high class background.

Yes... and you can't help but wonder if they'd actually make it as far as they did if their parents were not pushy, or if the schools they attended were not superior. I agree; I achieved what I wanted in academia without any parental-influence or going to a fee-paying school... but, people like me are in the minority. You'll understand once you get to university; you'll notice how many undeserving cretins make it there just because of the advantages they've had...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3684
Original post by Tom_green_day
AAA for UEA, but the for one of my reserves A*AA :\ oh good luck with that, what subjects do you do?

Wow good luck!! haha thanks. I do history (which I'm droppping), Classics, English lit and Psychology :smile: I can't believe it's only 3 days now! :/
Reply 3685
Original post by JamesTheCool
I might be rude, and I might come across as generalising, but at least I base my generalisations on real-life observations. Kids who go to private schools or have pushy parents that shove textbooks down their throats always end up at a much better place than everyone else, it's not right. Class has such a strong influence on someone's achievement, it makes me sick. Education in this country is rigged. It's a joke. I'm not as envious as you'd think; my parents are middle-class themselves and they didn't push me. They only wanted me to be happy unlike a lot of these proud dinner-party show-offs. I'm a product of my own desire to succeed, not some artificially instilled one.

This cannot be disputed. Particularly when Michael Gove's reforms keep trying to make A-Levels even more harsh and standardised by changing it to end of 2-year exams, which obviously benefits the better-resourced schools (While state schools have suffered the worst of austerity) and the more academic kids that can afford private schooling and tuition. This government and the UK as a whole is VERY class orientated,and none more so than at the very roots of what stops social mobility in the first place; education.
Reply 3686
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oh gosh, you're one of those :mmm: that must be one hell of a workload! Philosophy and the English sound good... :colone:

Aah, you feeling okay about them? They're so subjective!

I'm awaiting... AS History and A2 Mathematics, so two very different ones :ahee:

What board for histroy? :smile:
Original post by sneha.vag
It is! :smile:

haha I think one of my mates is doing that in Uni as well! :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:eek: reserved for scienve students :lolwut: that'd have annoyed me if someone said that :lol:

Psychology is just loads of case studies :sadnod: I was looking through the AS/2 textbooks and it was too much content!

:eek: well, hopefully you'll be fine :yy:

Thanks :biggrin: I'm confident about history, maths I'm certain of an A, but I want the A*, however, C4 clashed with my GCSEs (Chemistry) and I messed it up:redface:

I think he just didn't want me personally doing four, but he couldn't physically stop me so I just ignored him. :tongue:

There are a ridiculous number of studies to learn... It's all interesting content though! I hate the AQA marking though; it's my worst subject in terms of exam results despite the fact that grade boundaries are always really low.

I'm sure you'll have got the A*. :h: Did you self-teach or were you able to sit in on A-level classes?
Original post by OwlPatronus
I think he just didn't want me personally doing four, but he couldn't physically stop me so I just ignored him. :tongue:

There are a ridiculous number of studies to learn... It's all interesting content though! I hate the AQA marking though; it's my worst subject in terms of exam results despite the fact that grade boundaries are always really low.

I'm sure you'll have got the A*. :h: Did you self-teach or were you able to sit in on A-level classes?

Aah, haha yeah, that's the way to do it!

:eek: yeah, the actual stuff seems pretty interesting! Phobias, memory and that seem interesting!

We shall see :redface: well I had all my GCSEs and no frees so I had to self teach!
Reply 3690
Original post by JFA 95
This cannot be disputed. Particularly when Michael Gove's reforms keep trying to make A-Levels even more harsh and standardised by changing it to end of 2-year exams, which obviously benefits the better-resourced schools (While state schools have suffered the worst of austerity) and the more academic kids that can afford private schooling and tuition. This government and the UK as a whole is VERY class orientated,and none more so than at the very roots of what stops social mobility in the first place; education.

I agree, and I think anyone who does try to argue against it hasn't lived through it. The point he made was so valid, but since it cannot be be fixed, we prefer to keep it silent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3691
Some universities are already advertising clearing and adjustment places... are those for the A-level students or for the Scottish ones?
Okay I officially feel sick right now.
These last few hours are dragging so so much...
Original post by PythianLegume
a) You can support your kids and want them to be happy without being pushy.
b) Why is it a problem that parents who push their children have smarter children? Of course that's going to happen. Just like the best athletes were pushed very hard as children by their parents. If you practice, you get better. You don't need money to be pushy.
c) Class has a massive effect on achievement because the notion of class is linked to beliefs. The belief in the power and importance of education is a very middle-class belief. It has nothing to do with money.

I still don't believe in this strategy. People's best work comes from their own desire to learn a particular subject or range of subjects. If people just learn something because they're told by their parents that it's the only way forward, similar to house chores, then sure, they'll reap results, but they'll eventually hit a wall. I think it is a problem, because a lot of kids go into a profession or area of study that they wouldn't of considered had it not been for their pushy parents; you end up with mediocre doctors and lawyers etc, but their aptitudes could have been put to better use somewhere else.

I'm not saying you believe in pushy parents, I'm saying that it can be a problem, especially if the child didn't have a choice.

And yea, with reference to the other guy's post, A levels majorly suck.
Reply 3694
Okay, this is really hard to explain to people who are clearly just pro-privitisation, right-wing fruitcakes. Of course you're gonna throw the 'generalisation' accusation on me and make me believe I'm prejudiced, you have nothing better to defend really. Okay, perhaps I am prejudiced, but I've based my generalisations on enough examples to make it a noteworthy generalisation. I've seen enough spoilt brats at university who do not deserve all the spoon-feeding they've had from the day they were born. That's just my opinion.

Yes I have heard of scholarships and bursaries. Aren't people who receive them in the minority though? Besides, most teenagers just want to be in the same secondary schools as the friends they already made in primary schools. Standard of education doesn't mean a thing to most teenagers until they reach GCSE and A-Levels when it actually starts to matter...

Yes... and you can't help but wonder if they'd actually make it as far as they did if their parents were not pushy, or if the schools they attended were not superior. I agree; achieved what I wanted in academia without any parental-influence or going to a fee-paying school... and people like me are in the minority. You'll understand once you get to university; you'll notice how many undeserving, inaesthetic cretins and morons make it there just because of the advantages they've had...

Nice ad hominem, it really gives your points credit. How do you know I'm pro-privitisation and right wing, from this conversation? And why does that necessarily make me 'a fruitcake'?

That's just my opinion

Exactly.

Yes, the people who recieve those are in the minority - the intelligent, the hard working and the in need. Should allowances actually be made to any other groups?

I really see nothing wrong with parental influence - my parents read to me before putting me to bed, and instilled in me a love of literature which has survived to this day and is probably one of the reasons I have such a wide vocabulary. Is that spoon feeding?
Parents encouraging education must be even better - helping your child improve is hardly a bad thing. Yes, there are cases where children are hothoused for no other reason than to be the pride of the family, and that is bad, but those cases are pretty rare.

You know what? I really don't think I'll encounter too many morons or undeserving people at my university. :rolleyes:

Even if everything you're saying is right, and it really is a bad thing that some children have more involved parents or access to a better education than others, how does that in any way justify you coming onto a thread designed for A-Level students, which you would normally have no interest in, already being at university, and posting garbage such as:

"pompous privileged oiks oinking and oinking"

"the result of coming from a pathetically insecure middle class family"

"making everyone else feel like worthless scum."

???

You're the only one posting vitriol here, for no other reason than there's a high concentration of people who achieve more than you did at A-Level on this thread.
Okay, this is really hard to explain to people who are clearly just pro-privitisation, right-wing fruitcakes. Of course you're gonna throw the 'generalisation' accusation on me and make me believe I'm prejudiced, you have nothing better to attack really. Okay, perhaps I am a bit prejudiced, perhaps my argument is a bit flawed, but I think I've based my generalisations on enough examples to make it a noteworthy generalisation. I'm equally irked by this working class tendency to think that academic failure is cool.

Of course it makes sense, but do you not think there's something wrong that?

Yes... and you can't help but wonder if they'd actually make it as far as they did if their parents were not pushy, or if the schools they attended were not superior. I agree; I achieved what I wanted in academia without any parental-influence or going to a fee-paying school... but, people like me are in the minority. You'll understand once you get to university; you'll notice how many undeserving cretins make it there just because of the advantages they've had...

I had responded to your original comment and I apologise for being so blunt now but you could definitely have worded it better - you did come across as being incredibly butthurt. I agree with SOME of this, I watched my state school turn into an academy and become increasingly starved for resources. The number of people who dropped out at GCSE is ludicrous.
Please please please A*aa
...lulz that isn't happening.
But I'd be happy with Aab for my yr12 grades, what about everyone else?
Reply 3697
Original post by Silcce
Yeah... January exams are a Godsend. But it also means the lack of them will make you try harder and what not. I want to do Creative Writing and Film Studies at Winchester University. Only 10 or so Uni's do this combined course, so i'm actually hoping that I get in, since the combination isn't that popular xD what do you want to do next year?

I'm holding out for that thought process to work for me. :colone:
Ooh, that sounds like a really good combo. One of my friends is keen to do film studies, but I don't think she wants to venture outside London. :biggrin: Definitely, good luck! Do you have an insurance?
I want to do geography, but I have a feeling that my geography exams went less than brilliantly. :rolleyes: But here's hoping...!

Original post by BenJenks
Good luck to you too! :biggrin: I did Maths, Biology, Psychology and History. Definitely dropping history and i think I'll be taking up AS Further Maths and i'll have to self teach a lot of it because my timetable doesn't allow me to go to all the lessons :frown: What about you? :P (you've probably said this previously but i'd have to look for a while ahaha)

Nice mix - I did psychology as well out of yours, and then English literature, geography and Japanese.
Eeeew maths. :frown: Good luck though, I read a stat somewhere the other day that further maths has the highest proportion of papers awarded A*. :tongue:
If I do well enough in Japanese to keep it up to A2, then I'm definitely dropping psychology! What exam board were you on?
Reply 3698
Original post by Padouken

And yea, with reference to the other guy's post, A levels majorly suck.

Yes, they suck ALOT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3699
Original post by JFA 95

Should we make the examinations easier and less standardised to benefit the worse-resourced schools?

I agree with you that A-Levels suck, hugely, but I can't see how making the exams harder can be a bad thing.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest