The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Original post by JFA 95
Here's a good article on it:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/alevel-reforms-will-reduce-access-say-vicechancellors-8755928.html?origin=internalSearch

Particularly;
"AS-levels ensure increased breadth post-16 and help students defer choices until they have a better grasp of subjects beyond GCSE."

"The proposed reforms are in our view detrimental to widening participation and fair admissions. The reforms will hamper transitions, deprive students of choice and flexibility and force them to commit to subjects which they may find entirely unsuitable as they mature academically and make choices about their future."

The point is the reforms would altogether eradicate AS Levels, which are used to ease the transition from GCSEs. They generally are more likely to benefit kids who have came from the 'worse' state schools because it is those kids that are less likely to be 'academic.' Oxbridge even agree.

My point of view is this; these reforms would only increase the system's dependency on examinations/standardised testing by weighing everything on those end of 2 year exams. It has been seen that state school kids do better with coursework than exams, and exams only really test the ability to time-keep and write fast, long essays etc, which anyway doesn't actually test true potential or employability at all.

I agree A-Levels need reforms, but I'd argue they need to be less standardised (and less reliant on mark schemes), not more as Gove insists. The only time during my A-Levels that I truly felt my true potential was being tested was when I a) wasn't rushed for time with my essays, and b) was doing the coursework for Lit and History. The same may not be right for the sciences or maths, but it's hard to argue examinations are really the best measurement of a child's intelligence. It's more so a measurement of how much aid they have been given in their time at school to be trained to perform well in such circumstances.
And lest we forget Gove is the most privileged and elite, indifferent prick to ever tread the Earth.

Agreed. This is the most unbiased post on this conversation yet, and the only one that sounds like its coming from a reasonable person.

I too believe that examinations are predominantly testing your ability to write in a set time limit. Which is why we are taught soo much on exam techniques. Which isn't a fantastic way to determine someones ability, but is the only real way in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3721
Original post by DJMayes
I might be rude, and I might come across as generalising, but at least I base my generalisations on real-life observations.

Is this a funny way of saying that all of your evidence is anecdotal?

Kids who go to private schools or have pushy parents that shove textbooks down their throats always end up at a much better place than everyone else, it's not right.

It is actually a case that kids who work harder (or are simply more intelligent than you) end up at better places, which is completely fair. Pushy parents/teachers are one way of achieving this but ultimately the person who sits the exams is you and it is completely down to you where you end up, not anyone else.

Class has such a strong influence on someone's achievement, it makes me sick. Education in this country is rigged. It's a joke.

Really? Do those nasty private school kids go into the exams with copies of the solutions from the examiner? No. The exam is completely fair. They might prepare better for it but at the end of the day your preparation is in your own hands.

I'm not as envious as you'd think; my parents are middle-class themselves and they didn't push me. They only wanted me to be happy unlike a lot of these proud dinner-party show-offs. I'm a product of my own desire to succeed, not some artificially instilled one.

I wonder who is happier - all of these devil-spawned private pupils off to Oxbridge or you, spending your time trying to use class divisions as an excuse for your own inadequacies. A parent doesn't push their child just so they can show them off - they also want the child to do well to secure long term security and happiness.

This is an absolutely fantastic post. Once again, you've phrased things much more eloquently than I.
Is it by tomorrow evening when the grade boundaries are made avilable? Cause it did for jan
Reply 3723
Original post by kevloui
Agreed. This is the most unbiased post on this conversation yet, and the only one that sounds like its coming from a reasonable person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

[gives you a hi-5]
Reply 3724
Original post by kevloui

Posted from TSR Mobile

So yours are biased and you're an unreasonable person? :mmm:
Original post by Paramore<3
I'm holding out for that thought process to work for me. :colone:
Ooh, that sounds like a really good combo. One of my friends is keen to do film studies, but I don't think she wants to venture outside London. :biggrin: Definitely, good luck! Do you have an insurance?
I want to do geography, but I have a feeling that my geography exams went less than brilliantly. :rolleyes: But here's hoping...!

Yeah, my insurance is De Montfort, but that was largely because this time last year, I really wanted it as my firm mostly because I didn't think I could get into Winchester, but then they offered me less points and I took it as an insurance, then I looked at the course modules and I don't really like them, plus I haven't been to see the university, so i'm like :fingerscrossed: that get in to my firm. I know London is great for Media, but most of my friends are going to places like Hertfordshire for that. its not that far from London, but its far enough that they could live there but still come home often xD Do you have an ideal uni already?
C4 and F332
....KILLED me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3727
Original post by Padouken
I still don't believe in this strategy. People's best work comes from their own desire to learn a particular subject or range of subjects. If people just learn something because they're told by their parents that it's the only way forward, similar to house chores, then sure, they'll reap results, but they'll eventually hit a wall. I think it is a problem, because a lot of kids go into a profession or area of study that they wouldn't of considered had it not been for their pushy parents; you end up with mediocre doctors and lawyers etc, but their aptitudes could have been put to better use somewhere else.

I'm not saying you believe in pushy parents, I'm saying that it can be a problem, especially if the child didn't have a choice.

And yea, with reference to the other guy's post, A levels majorly suck.

Original post by JamesTheCool

Often parents do push their kids to "become doctors" or "golfers" (Tiger Woods parents) but I really do doubt they would achieve if they are not capable. James talks about how he is self made comes from middle class but not pushy parents. But he is not taking into account that self made is also a result of values built into a person by external influences.

The most important point though which is probably also what is stressing out others is the attitude that somehow because it is unfair that the underprivileged perform below par (I agree it unfair) that the privileged are dumb kids who are not capable and will fail and are mediocre doctors /lawyers. Please !! It is not their fault that they had the opportunities and parents that helped them perform to the best of their capabilities.
Reply 3728
Original post by JFA 95
Here's a good article on it:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/alevel-reforms-will-reduce-access-say-vicechancellors-8755928.html?origin=internalSearch

Particularly;
"AS-levels ensure increased breadth post-16 and help students defer choices until they have a better grasp of subjects beyond GCSE."

"The proposed reforms are in our view detrimental to widening participation and fair admissions. The reforms will hamper transitions, deprive students of choice and flexibility and force them to commit to subjects which they may find entirely unsuitable as they mature academically and make choices about their future."

The point is the reforms would altogether eradicate AS Levels, which are used to ease the transition from GCSEs. They generally are more likely to benefit kids who have came from the 'worse' state schools because it is those kids that are less likely to be 'academic.' Oxbridge even agree.

My point of view is this; these reforms would only increase the system's dependency on examinations/standardised testing by weighing everything on those end of 2 year exams. It has been seen that state school kids do better with coursework than exams, and exams only really test the ability to time-keep and write fast, long essays etc, which anyway doesn't actually test true potential or employability at all.

I agree A-Levels need reforms, but I'd argue they need to be less standardised (and less reliant on mark schemes), not more as Gove insists. The only time during my A-Levels that I truly felt my true potential was being tested was when I a) wasn't rushed for time with my essays, and b) was doing the coursework for Lit and History. The same may not be right for the sciences or maths, but it's hard to argue examinations are really the best measurement of a child's intelligence. It's more so a measurement of how much aid they have been given in their time at school to be trained to perform well in such circumstances.
And lest we forget Gove is the most privileged and elite, indifferent prick to ever tread the Earth.

There are lots of fair points here, I agree with most of what you say. The system is far too dependent on mark schemes (these of course work in subjects like Maths, Chemistry etc) in subjects where they don't belong so much. For every Economics paper I did I felt I was just jumping through hoops to tick the examiner's checkbook as many times as possible.

I still find it hard to wrap my head around the notion that we shouldn't make them more challenging because worse schools would suffer more, but maybe it would be a bad idea to make them more challenging after sorting the disaster that is state education (for the most part) in this country.

Although it's irrelevant to whether his policies are good or bad, Gove is indeed a bit of an arse.
Reply 3729
Original post by Arva
So yours are biased and you're an unreasonable person? :mmm:

LOL I like how this has turned on me. But that person was the only person who brought up true evidence and was neither for nor against either side. Which is where I stand.

The posts which aggressively attack the first persons statement about classes being a big influence on where we end up, sounded biased from the point of view of a private school student. I dont think I'm the only one who thinks so either.

All in all... the gove need to fix up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kath_igidbashian
tapped out, haven't played candy crush saga

Ahhh, add me: silvve :colondollar:
Original post by popnit
Omg I think they same...probably chemistry too. UCL is a good one.

I think I will be ok with chemistry but only because I've got high scores in other units which make it a bit more leniant. AQA Chem uijfeiudsjvk.
The closer results are getting, the more I think I've failed.
Original post by otrivine
Is it by tomorrow evening when the grade boundaries are made avilable? Cause it did for jan

Boundaries should be released on the 14th, so Wednesday. If i'm not mistaken, it should be around Midnight, but it depends on whether someone who has access to them can broadcast them to all of us (which usually does happen on TSR!)
Original post by ColourDog
The closer results are getting, the more I think I've failed.

Ditto! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry up 14th! stop making me wish days of my life away :'( I like my life too much to wish it away unti Thursday!
Reply 3736
Original post by AspiringGenius
I think I will be ok with chemistry but only because I've got high scores in other units which make it a bit more leniant. AQA Chem uijfeiudsjvk.

I'm unsure how AQA chem 4 and 5 went so I'm really banking on my ISA. I got a B at AS so I really hope it maintains.
Original post by shaminn
Boundaries should be released on the 14th, so Wednesday. If i'm not mistaken, it should be around Midnight, but it depends on whether someone who has access to them can broadcast them to all of us (which usually does happen on TSR!)

Is that for all exam boards??
Reply 3738
Original post by wolf-pack
Omg, English is what I will change to if I fail history too!
I know its so annoying trying to get a job, when you need experience to get one, but need a job for experience :L. What unis are you considering?

Haha coincidence :smile:

Kent looks pretty good for History - there are soo many topics to choose from, and it's not to far from London. I think Reading looks good as well, and the grade requirements aren't too hard to achieve as long as I make a real effort in year 13. I have no idea where else to apply for, I'm not Oxbridge material lol. What about you? :smile:
Original post by TheAsian
C4 and F332
....KILLED me!

C4... :'(

Edexcel, right?

Latest