The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3760
Original post by Numan786
Anyone recieved emails from their university yet??? I got one from my uni which kind of got me depressed as it didnt hint of a "congratulations you're in" email but more of a what to do if you don't meet the offer but it also said what to do if you have met the offer

What uni is this???:eek:
Original post by PythianLegume
Michael Gove was adopted into a lower-middle class family, and won a scholarship to fund his way through private school. He is not a privileged, posh muppet - every privilege he has, he earned through being intelligent and hard-working. Your post was good, but it comes across as foolish when you put such uninformed, slanderous views across.

And Gove's changes won't do anything. Changing exams and schools at a structural level has miniscule effects. The greatest changes can be made at a school level - hence why some schools thrive on the current system and others flounder. Despite what people on both sides of the debate might say, Gove's changes will not bring rigour back into the system, or take us back to the 1950s.

uhhh why do I see his name??? Michael Gove..... what has he done now????
Original post by PythianLegume
Michael Gove was adopted into a lower-middle class family, and won a scholarship to fund his way through private school. He is not a privileged, posh muppet - every privilege he has, he earned through being intelligent and hard-working.

A History teacher in my school is convinced that he's a psychopath and a danger to schools.

LOL
Original post by dream996

We're just discussing the education system in general - nothing has come into the news that effects A-Level results, don't worry.
Well, I might as well weigh in on the class debate: class clearly does make a difference. Generally, those from wealthier backgrounds who are able to access private education tend to do better than those who can't. There is also the environmental factors to consider, e.g. the influence of parents (who may be "supportive" or "pushy" - the difference between the two seems quite blurred in this current discussion). Does this mean that we should begrudge those who do achieve with a private education of their right to celebrate and disparagingly call them "oiks" who go around "oinking" about their success? Of course not.

The current system isn't fair - but the students who benefit from it aren't to blame. Blame the system, not the students. Even if their parents are "pushy" and they've received opportunities that others haven't, they've still had to work hard to achieve the grades. Let's use the energy wasted here spouting vitriol at innocent parties to actually consider solutions and address the issues.

I say all this as someone who has always been in state education.
I'm really sad that I have no-one to go out and celebrate/ drown my sorrows with on Thursday. :frown:
I retook a year and didn't really bother making new friends and my friend who retook with me couldn't give two craps about her results.
Looks to be a solitary night on TSR I suppose. :cry2:
Original post by miss.ce.0x
Nice to meet you too :smile:

Leicester is my firm for 2013 for English.

Ah good luck with your results. I am wanting to go to Leicester in 2014 so if my AS levels are good I will apply.:biggrin:
Original post by kevloui
What uni is this???:eek:

Uni of bham I can post the email if ud like as I'm not sure if its a general email they send to everyone or if other applicants have different emails

Robbed a bank and murdered innocents by the sounds of things.
Original post by Padouken
A History teacher in my school is convinced that he's a psychopath and a danger to schools.

LOL

A common view among the teaching profession.

Well, every minute he spends robbing and murdering is another he can't meddle with the education system.
Man, feeling so nervous and depressed right now, how the last several years I've worked to get into medicine all come down to one day, Thursday. On the other side, listen to this song, makes you feel better whilst wasting some time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfpDlN8Fyg

Why am I not surprise ?? He is nothing but destroying the education system, poisoning youngster mind.
UCL is good for chemistry? wat

oh dear have I missed something out- what did you think I meant and perhaps I can express myself better :smile:
ljmu goes they want AAB in clearing.
Reply 3775
My badness.

Hahah no problem. What have you gone for?
Its funny how quickly the last few months have gone since taking my last exam and how slowly the last five days have been... Time must be getting slower.

How did it even get to three days to go anyway??!
Original post by Arva
This is an absolutely fantastic post. Once again, you've phrased things much more eloquently than I.

Not more eloquent; just blunter and ruder.

Original post by kevloui
LOL I like how this has turned on me. But that person was the only person who brought up true evidence and was neither for nor against either side. Which is where I stand.

The posts which aggressively attack the first persons statement about classes being a big influence on where we end up, sounded biased from the point of view of a private school student. I dont think I'm the only one who thinks so either.

All in all... the gove need to fix up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can appreciate that my post comes across in that way but I have been a Free School Meals pupil throughout school. I'm certainly biased on the argument but not due to relative wealth or because the point is attacking me personally.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3778
Original post by amazon123456789
ljmu goes they want AAB in clearing.

Where is this expressed?
Why am I not surprise ?? He is nothing but destroying the education system, poisoning youngster mind.

How so? And don't just tell me things you don't like about his policies. I want destruction of the system and poisoning minds.

Latest