The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish

I was wondering if I could apply for deferred entry at Oxbridge and then normal for the rest?

I would say that that is fine to do since you have a good reason - you want to do a year abroad and they don't offer it.
I think for some subjects there is the opportunity to spend a year abroad - i.e. languages, and at Cambridge I've heard rumors of a MIT exchange for Engineers + NatScis (this doesn't seem to be particularly advertised though, probably because there's only a few places available).
What course are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 3781
this is the slowest week of my life.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I would say that that is fine to do since you have a good reason - you want to do a year abroad and they don't offer it.
I think for some subjects there is the opportunity to spend a year abroad - i.e. languages, and at Cambridge I've heard rumors of a MIT exchange for Engineers + NatScis (this doesn't seem to be particularly advertised though, probably because there's only a few places available).
What course are you thinking of applying for?

:yep:

Cambridge would be Physical NatSci and Oxford would be Chemistry :smile:

MIT would be amazing:eek: but I was thinking more somewhere with a foreign language, but MIT could sway my mind :tongue:
Original post by HPAG
:confused: Am I missing something here ?

Edit read you explanation in the next post. Happybunny93 the key being 93. You are already in univ ?

Im starting university in September, and I'm 19 (20 in December). I left 6th form in may :smile:
Original post by PythianLegume
How so? And don't just tell me things you don't like about his policies. I want destruction of the system and poisoning minds.

What are you even...? That's confusing, are you supporting michael gove? or what?
Reply 3785
Original post by DJMayes
Not more eloquent; just blunter and ruder.

I can appreciate that my post comes across in that way but I have been a Free School Meals pupil throughout school. I'm certainly biased on the argument but not due to relative wealth or because the point is attacking me personally.

:lol: If I went any blunter or ruder I'd be lambasted for hating the poor, loving this elitist system and being 'privileged, private school elitist scum'.
How so? And don't just tell me things you don't like about his policies. I want destruction of the system and poisoning minds.

Here's a sprinkling of controversy...

I like Michael Gove and think the majority of his changes, both proposed and currently being actioned, will benefit this countries education system.
Reply 3787
Original post by dream996
What are you even...? That's confusing, are you supporting michael gove? or what?

He asked you a very simple question; to back up your hyperbolic claims.
Original post by dream996

Not supporting him. Merely defending him :tongue:
Original post by popnit
Hahah no problem. What have you gone for?

Warwick. Economics prevented me from aiming any higher. I sucked at getting my points down within the allotted time. Wondering if I should have gone for Birmingham as Warwick seems to be in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 3790
Original post by geor
Hey, i'm waiting for Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths - how about you? I may be wrong, but I think I remember you from the F211 OCR biology thread (?) How are you feeling about it - i'm very nervous.

You're too cool!
I remember you too!
Was you revising on there as well!?
It was sometime ago, now!
That was me for sure...

Regarding those set of examinations, I am feeling confident that I had scored 80% at the absolute worst but I feel I really went home with my preparation for those exams!

Chemistry and Biology. Especially.
F212 and F323 went really well as I thought I fell lucky with preferred content!

How about you!?
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
I can appreciate that my post comes across in that way but I have been a Free School Meals pupil throughout school. I'm certainly biased on the argument but not due to relative wealth or because the point is attacking me personally.

OMG, you're so lucky. Some of us have to PAY for our meals.

:pierre:
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Here's a sprinkling of controversy...

I like Michael Gove and think the majority of his changes, both proposed and currently being actioned, will benefit this countries education system.

His intentions are certainly good, but I'm sceptical that his changes will have much of an effect.
Original post by Arva
He asked you a very simple question; to back up your hyperbolic claims.

usually it's in hyperbole's nature to have things over exaggerated; it makes for more interesting and enjoyable insults :biggrin:D
His intentions are certainly good, but I'm sceptical that his changes will have much of an effect.

I would have to agree, the plans are along the right lines but they need to be a little more "out there".

It would be nice to see the various teaching/headteacher unions out there just attempting to be reasonable instead of planting their heads in the ground over the proposals though - generally speaking (not all teachers), as role models for future generations whining about something because they're unhappy isn't the best way to deal with a problem, especially not politicians.
Reply 3795
Original post by Padouken
usually it's in hyperbole's nature to have things over exaggerated; it makes for more interesting and enjoyable insults :biggrin:D

Wait, what? I know what hyperbole means, am I missing something? :tongue:
Original post by HPAG
Often parents do push their kids to "become doctors" or "golfers" (Tiger Woods parents) but I really do doubt they would achieve if they are not capable. James talks about how he is self made comes from middle class but not pushy parents. But he is not taking into account that self made is also a result of values built into a person by external influences.

Okay, perhaps I saw something on TV as a kid that instilled a lasting motivation to study hard. At least I didn't get it from my bloody parents. :littleangel::laugh:
Also, I'm an only child which might explain a lot, as only children tend to be very hardworking and ambitious.

Original post by HPAG
The most important point though which is probably also what is stressing out others is the attitude that somehow because it is unfair that the underprivileged perform below par (I agree it unfair) that the privileged are dumb kids who are not capable and will fail and are mediocre doctors /lawyers. Please !! It is not their fault that they had the opportunities and parents that helped them perform to the best of their capabilities.

Well of course not all privileged kids are dumb. The reality is that people generally are dumb, which explains why the majority of state school kids either don't go to university and pursue miserable careers instead, or they go to 'lesser' universities (not to sound snobby). The only groups of people who make it to Russell Group universities seem to be the smart (being the minority), the spoon-fed (being the majority), and the smart and spoon-fed (being another minority).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HarryMWilliams
I would have to agree, the plans are along the right lines but they need to be a little more "out there".

It would be nice to see the various teaching/headteacher unions out there just attempting to be reasonable instead of planting their heads in the ground over the proposals though - generally speaking (not all teachers), as role models for future generations whining about something because they're unhappy isn't the best way to deal with a problem, especially not politicians.

Yes, the teaching unions are definitely a bigger problem than Gove. They automatically reject just about every proposal Gove puts forward. It would be nice to see them taking a more active role in improving education for the pupils (I appreciate that isn't strictly their role, but they often oppose Gove on more than just teacher-related issues).
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:yep:

Cambridge would be Physical NatSci and Oxford would be Chemistry :smile:

MIT would be amazing:eek: but I was thinking more somewhere with a foreign language, but MIT could sway my mind :tongue:

Good choice :biggrin:
MIT sounds really cool! :colondollar: I agree, it would be nice to go somewhere with a foreign language though - perhaps your gap year would be a good idea :smile:
Reply 3799
Good Luck to everyone getting their A-Level Results this Thursday! Hope you all get the grades you want!

I'm getting my GCSE results next thursday too.. Once again, the very best of luck!

Jatz

Latest