The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arva
Wait, what? I know what hyperbole means, am I missing something? :tongue:

nah you just asked him to back it up lol :colondollar:
I get really anxious & then really calm about it all. I have no idea what my head is at. This time last week I was freaking out & now I can switch off a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethylou202
which maths exam board are you with, i found maths awful this summer

Edexcel. M2 killed me.
Reply 3803
Original post by abc1234567890
Just had a dream where I got A*A*A instead of A*A*A* and got rejected from oxford, so I spent the next three years in a crappy non oxbridge school like everybody else :mad: Neg me normies :mad:

Wait... THAT'S ABSURD!
What course are you expecting to get into!?
With those straight A*s 'needed' - Engineering!?

Your attitude in the last sentence was classic!
I know I will feel like that subconsciously when I progressed through a Cambridge application...

"I ONLY WANT TO GO THERE!"
Good luck, anyway...
I hope that dream absolutely rubbish.
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: 3 days left

Here is a song for the lead up to results day :tongue:
[video="youtube;LanCLS_hIo4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4[/video]
Original post by Arva
Wait, what? I know what hyperbole means, am I missing something? :tongue:

Original post by Padouken
nah you just asked him to back it up lol :colondollar:

Strangely he's gone quiet. Amazing how many people are happy to bleat about Gove being some sort of evil Gradgrind, but can't back up their claims :biggrin:
Reply 3806
Original post by Ché.
Wait... THAT'S ABSURD!
What course are you expecting to get into!?
With those straight A*s 'needed' - Engineering!?

Your attitude in the last sentence was classic!
I know I will feel like that subconsciously when I hopefully progress through a Cambridge application...

"I ONLY WANT TO GO THERE!"
Good luck, anyway...
I hope that dream absolutely rubbish.
:biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
something something something exams something something something ucas something university something nervous something
I thought seeing everyone else worry about it would comfort me... Now it's only made me worry more 'cause I'll probably get the worst grades out of everyone here!:frown:
Reply 3809
Original post by Daniellejo.
I'm really sad that I have no-one to go out and celebrate/ drown my sorrows with on Thursday. :frown:
I retook a year and didn't really bother making new friends and my friend who retook with me couldn't give two craps about her results.
Looks to be a solitary night on TSR I suppose. :cry2:

We have to party together on here. Did the exact same thing.
Original post by JamesTheCool
Okay, perhaps I saw something on TV as a kid that instilled a lasting motivation to study hard. At least I didn't get it from my bloody parents.

Well of course not all privileged kids are dumb. The reality is that people generally are dumb, which explains why the majority of state school kids either don't go to university and pursue miserable careers instead, or they go to 'lesser' universities (not to sound snobby). The only groups of people who make it to Russell Group universities seem to be the smart (being the minority), the spoon-fed (being the majority), and the smart and spoon-fed (being another minority).

I think you'll find that richer people tend to get into better universities because they are more intelligent. I don't think it's fair that rich kids are more intelligent, but it is an undeniable fact. Wealth is strongly correlated with intelligence, but that correlation is mostly coincidental - you don't need money to raise a smart child.
Reply 3811
Original post by ColourDog
The closer results are getting, the more I think I've failed.

:frown: I think everyone's thinking the same.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Good choice :biggrin:
MIT sounds really cool! :colondollar: I agree, it would be nice to go somewhere with a foreign language though - perhaps your gap year would be a good idea :smile:

:ahee:

It does :colone: then Cambridge might be back in the equation :lol:
Original post by TauMuon
something something something exams something something something ucas something university something nervous something

something something don't worry something something you'll be OK something something good luck something

^^ This thread.
Do universities only see the grades for each subject or the marks as well, to determine how far off we were from the next grade?
Who here did AQA Biology? its the only grade Im seriously worried about :s-smilie: I retook Unit 2 in the summer and thought that was good but I have no idea about Unit 5!!! What did you think of unit 5 and what overall grade do you expect to get?
Reply 3816
Original post by PythianLegume
Michael Gove was adopted into a lower-middle class family, and won a scholarship to fund his way through private school. He is not a privileged, posh muppet - every privilege he has, he earned through being intelligent and hard-working. Your post was good, but it comes across as foolish when you put such uninformed, slanderous views across.

And Gove's changes won't do anything. Changing exams and schools at a structural level has miniscule effects. The greatest changes can be made at a school level - hence why some schools thrive on the current system and others flounder. Despite what people on both sides of the debate might say, Gove's changes will not bring rigour back into the system, or take us back to the 1950s.

Just because he came from an 'ordinary' background, it doesn't mean he's not an elitist person. Thatcher came from a very working class background, that didn't stop her from smashing the poor and making the UK perhaps the most unequal society in the West. She still acted upon helping the privileged. What Gove is doing to affect education, in my opinion, justifies calling him elitist and indifferent. I'm not sure I have any empathy for him just because he happens to have worked his way up from a still fairly well off starting point.

It's fair for you to have that prediction, but the entirety of the Russell Group, including Oxbridge, disagree with you. I believe that making it even more dependent on exams will have a great effect on social mobility. You can have a different opinion, but that doesn't invalidate mine when bodies from both sides of the debate have a very negative opinion on Gove and his reforms, including most teachers.
Original post by PythianLegume
I think you'll find that richer people tend to get into better universities because they are more intelligent. I don't think it's fair that rich kids are more intelligent, but it is an undeniable fact. Wealth is strongly correlated with intelligence, but that correlation is mostly coincidental - you don't need money to raise a smart child.

I wouldn't say it's coincidental that wealth and intelligence are correlated, it's because the parents who earn a lot usually have good degrees and pass on their academic genes to their children.

I don't see why so many people see this as a problem
Reply 3818
Original post by Padouken
Warwick. Economics prevented me from aiming any higher. I sucked at getting my points down within the allotted time. Wondering if I should have gone for Birmingham as Warwick seems to be in the middle of nowhere.

Warwick is in the middle of nowhere, a proper campus uni but it looks pretty good. They seem to have a good SU.
The bucket list. See the glaciers before they melt. Go on an African safari. Encounter the worlds largest mammal. The ultimate things to do before you die. Or are they?

Latest