The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3820
Original post by PythianLegume
Strangely he's gone quiet. Amazing how many people are happy to bleat about Gove being some sort of evil Gradgrind, but can't back up their claims :biggrin:

*googles Gradgrind*

:lol: So true!
x

You know, I'd argue that improving education for children is exactly the role of teachers, less so than the secretary of state in comparison. Gove can propose and suggest all he likes following consultations etc. but the success of those plans are entirely down to teachers and their local management, such as headteachers.

For example, Gove introduces a new curriculum, if two teachers, one who is enthusiastic and engaging and another teacher who hates the curriculum are asked to teach it, it would be fair to suggest the enthusiastic teacher will have a better response than the dettached one.

Original post by abc1234567890
x

I'd like to see penguins. :biggrin:
Original post by abc1234567890
Just had a dream where I got A*A*A instead of A*A*A* and got rejected from oxford, so I spent the next three years in a crappy non oxbridge school like everybody else :mad: Neg me normies :mad:

Out of all of the trolls, you have the worst name ever.
Reply 3823
Original post by geor
:wink: Yes I was! I'm very intrigued to see the mark scheme for the exam, due to all the controversy there was when we all tried to make an unofficial mark scheme! xD

Yes I feel the same. I will be devastated if I score below that as I worked incredibly hard for all of them. Higher scores would be nicer, though! :colondollar:

I'm bricking it for chemistry, it was the exam that went the worst for me and is the subject I want to study at university! If I do badly in it I can't apply to the top ones :eek:

Do you know what you want to do at university?
Have you started the dreaded personal statement yet?

Ah...
I FEEL THAT YOU DO!
Trust me...

I feel that there was a load of controversy for all of my modules...
I hope that they're lenient for most but I have a strong feeling that I was very accurate but according to OCR, they might not be as lenient as I think...

What marks do you think you got and what universities ate you planning to apply for!?

My aspirations!?
A100 Medicine at Cambridge!
I have finished my 'dreaded' PS and I'm relieved...
I started mine mid-May on small, small instalments...

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Padouken
Out of all of the trolls, you have the worst name ever.

If I was on me death bed, I wouldn't want to be climbing mount Kilimanjaro
Reply 3825
Original post by JFA 95

It's fair for you to have that prediction, but the entirety of the Russell Group, including Oxbridge, disagree with you. I believe that making it even more dependent on exams will have a great effect on social mobility. You can have a different opinion, but that doesn't invalidate mine when bodies from both sides of the debate have a very negative opinion on Gove and his reforms, including most teachers.

Argumenta ad populandum et auctoritatem. Just saiyan.
Original post by JFA 95
Just because he came from an 'ordinary' background, it doesn't mean he's not an elitist person. Thatcher came from a very working class background, that didn't stop her from smashing the poor and making the UK perhaps the most unequal society in the West. She still acted upon helping the privileged. What Gove is doing to affect education, in my opinion, justifies calling him elitist and indifferent. I'm not sure I have any empathy for him just because he happens to have worked his way up from a still fairly well off starting point.

It's fair for you to have that prediction, but the entirety of the Russell Group, including Oxbridge, disagree with you. I believe that making it even more dependent on exams will have a great effect on social mobility. You can have a different opinion, but that doesn't invalidate mine when bodies from both sides of the debate have a very negative opinion on Gove and his reforms, including most teachers.

Gove is making his reforms in order to give everyone an excellent education, regardless of where they are from. Whether or not he is achieving this is irrelevant, you accused him of being elitist, when his policies are made with the public intention of improving education in general. Now, you may say that in private he actually wants to make education elitist, but when he mentions his intentions, they are always pro-social-mobility.

Original post by Icedstoat
I wouldn't say it's coincidental that wealth and intelligence are correlated, it's because the parents who earn a lot usually have good degrees and pass on their academic genes to their children.

I don't see why so many people see this as a problem

Perhaps coincidental was the wrong word. I meant that the link wasn't causal.
Reply 3827
Went from being a nervous, impatient wreck to calm and relaxed. :K:
I think I've waited so long that it's gotten to the point where I don't even think results day is an actual thing that is going to happen. I think it will hit me again Wednesday, but much worse.
Reply 3828
Original post by MorganDavies
I thought seeing everyone else worry about it would comfort me... Now it's only made me worry more 'cause I'll probably get the worst grades out of everyone here!:frown:

That's how I feel.
I see all these people worrying about their results on here and there's a good chance that the vast majority of them will get what they're predicted, if not better. But if I think I've done badly, then there's a very good chance that I've actually done badly. :frown:
Original post by Ché.
Ah...

I have finished my 'dreaded' PS and I'm relieved...
I started mine mid-May on small, small instalments...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow. I didn't even know about the personal statement in May of AS.
OMG, you're so lucky. Some of us have to PAY for our meals.

:pierre:

Given the quality of school food I'd say I paid dearly for it. :ninja:

(Could be worse though - hospital food...)
Original post by DJMayes

True,although they say that school dinners tend to be healthier than packed lunches. Of course healthier and tastier are two different things.
I think you'll find that richer people tend to get into better universities because they are more intelligent. I don't think it's fair that rich kids are more intelligent, but it is an undeniable fact. Wealth is strongly correlated with intelligence, but that correlation is mostly coincidental - you don't need money to raise a smart child.

They're not more intelligent than anyone else. What rubbish. That is the height of snobbery. You're mistaking intelligence with better-educated. The difference in educational output between kids who go to state schools and kids who go to private schools is a big one, that's why they seem more intelligent - they glisten with the sheen of an expensive, superlative education which most people can't access! Wealth has no correlation with intelligence. A good education is the result of dedication, not the speed of which someone can work out the square root of 1 million.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JFA 95
It's fair for you to have that prediction, but the entirety of the Russell Group, including Oxbridge, disagree with you.
This is simply incorrect. You have read the independent article without actually thinking about its context.

Oxbridge and other top Universities are quoted in saying that they don't want AS-Levels to go. The main reason for this is simple; a large part of their admissions decisions are based off of AS-Level grades. GCSEs are terrible at distinguishing between the top ~25% of pupils in any subject and top Universities, given the choice, would never want the only results they receive upon the time application to be GCSEs.

Even if the Universities hold other reasons, the fact that this is an contributing factor does somewhat invalidate the decision to call upon their view in such a discussion. But obviously the newspaper is just going to skim over that to make their own article seem stronger and hope that most readers won't be able to read between the lines.

Quoting or referencing newspapers is rarely a good idea. (Though it could have been worse, it could have been the Daily Mail).
If I had a time machine right now, I wouldn't even go see Ancient Rome before I get my results.
Original post by DJMayes

Airplane food.:sick::yucky:
Original post by JamesTheCool
They're not more intelligent than anyone else. What rubbish. That is the height of snobbery. You're mistaking intelligence with better-educated. The difference in educational output between kids who go to state schools and kids who go to private schools is a big one, that's why they seem more intelligent - they glisten with the sheen of an expensive, superlative education which most people can't access! Wealth has no correlation with intelligence. A good education is the result of dedication, not the speed of which someone can work out the square root of 1 million.

Rubbish. Wealth is highly correlated with intelligence, from the earliest ages. Before children start education, richer children are already about a year above their poorer peers.
Reply 3837
Gove is making his reforms in order to give everyone an excellent education, regardless of where they are from. Whether or not he is achieving this is irrelevant, you accused him of being elitist, when his policies are made with the public intention of improving education in general. Now, you may say that in private he actually wants to make education elitist, but when he mentions his intentions, they are always pro-social-mobility.

Disagree. He has said, time and time again, his primary aim is to compete with other countries, to try and make the UK some sort of educative beacon that can compete with the rising powers in Asia. It's competition, for potential investors, not a means to increase social mobility.
Rubbish. Wealth is highly correlated with intelligence, from the earliest ages. Before children start education, richer children are already about a year above their poorer peers.

I'm guessing you're not talking about innate intelligence?
Reply 3839
Original post by Silcce
Yeah, my insurance is De Montfort, but that was largely because this time last year, I really wanted it as my firm mostly because I didn't think I could get into Winchester, but then they offered me less points and I took it as an insurance, then I looked at the course modules and I don't really like them, plus I haven't been to see the university, so i'm like :fingerscrossed: that get in to my firm. I know London is great for Media, but most of my friends are going to places like Hertfordshire for that. its not that far from London, but its far enough that they could live there but still come home often xD Do you have an ideal uni already?

Ah, I see... at least you have an insurance! Lots of people seem to be winging it with just the firm! Still, fingers crossed for you. :smile: That's a fair point actually, maybe I will suggest it if she likes the look of the modules!
Kind of, most of them are grade dependent though. :frown: If I somehow ace it, then I'd like to try for Cambridge, but it's not the be all and end all. Exeter and Leeds are also two highlights, but who knows. :redface: I might have to rethink everything pending Thursday!

Latest