The Student Room Group

Have you ever been insulted about your looks?

Scroll to see replies

I think pretty much everyone's been insulted; everyone has different ideas of beauty and sometimes people aren't even thinking when they say things or say things to be 'hard' which they don't even believe themselves.

I've had a lot of comments about a large forehead and my pale skin. I find guys in clubs can be especially rude (I'm sure its the same way with girls!), like laughing from afar and stuff. I feel I'm decent-looking and get this a lot.
Reply 361
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
I think pretty much everyone's been insulted; everyone has different ideas of beauty and sometimes people aren't even thinking when they say things or say things to be 'hard' which they don't even believe themselves.

I've had a lot of comments about a large forehead and my pale skin. I find guys in clubs can be especially rude (I'm sure its the same way with girls!), like laughing from afar and stuff. I feel I'm decent-looking and get this a lot.

Yes this haha, I was getting with a guy in a club last week for the first time since my split from my boyfriend. Was having a big confidence boost, then suddenly he goes out of nowhere "I usually only kiss good looking girls". Not sure what he was trying to imply exactly...I awkwardly asked him if I qualified as good-looking. He goes "you're average". My ego dropped massively.

(Although, later he admitted he was just trying to "play it cool" and apologised that it came off as rude. He changed his statement to "above average").

I also sometimes get insulted about the fact I have dyed blonde hair and wear extensions. When I go out, I like to put on slightly darker makeup like lots of other girls in the evening, and social smoke at clubs. As a result, a couple of the boys I know from the local private school call me a chav (appearance-wise). If you met me you'd understand why that's so funny - I'm far from!
Original post by lou_100
Yes this haha, I was getting with a guy in a club last week for the first time since my split from my boyfriend. Was having a big confidence boost, then suddenly he goes out of nowhere "I usually only kiss good looking girls". Not sure what he was trying to imply exactly...I awkwardly asked him if I qualified as good-looking. He goes "you're average". My ego dropped massively.

(Although, later he admitted he was just trying to "play it cool" and apologised that it came off as rude. He changed his statement to "above average").

I also sometimes get insulted about the fact I have dyed blonde hair and wear extensions. When I go out, I like to put on slightly darker makeup like lots of other girls in the evening, and social smoke at clubs. As a result, a couple of the boys I know from the local private school call me a chav (appearance-wise). If you met me you'd understand why that's so funny - I'm far from!

This is why I hate clubs and am so glad my boyfriend is slightly older! At freshers last year, I was innocently looking for my friend in the smoking area when a guy started talking to me. I spoke back since I was a little tipsy and totally lost, and suddenly his friend butts in and goes 'are you kidding mate? she's well below average'. I don't know what gives people the right to say things like that - drunk or not, hard or not, whatever but its stuck with me all year!
Reply 363
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
This is why I hate clubs and am so glad my boyfriend is slightly older! At freshers last year, I was innocently looking for my friend in the smoking area when a guy started talking to me. I spoke back since I was a little tipsy and totally lost, and suddenly his friend butts in and goes 'are you kidding mate? she's well below average'. I don't know what gives people the right to say things like that - drunk or not, hard or not, whatever but its stuck with me all year!

I'd have just turned to him and been like "What is wrong with you? Like you guys could ever get with someone any more attractive than below average anyway". Had to say something similar to a guy once in defence of my friend.

Ignore boys like that. It gets on my tits when an ugly guy is having a good night managing to get with lots of drunk girls at a club and suddenly thinks he's an Alex Pettyfer lookalike and insults other people.
As far as I remember I was never insulted on my looks, but I do not find myself very attractive either. I hate taking pictures and have none. I am however sometimes compared with my sister saying she looks prettier.

I received compliments on my looks but don't really believe them.
Ever since I started primary school I've had nasty comments about my appearance.
I was born with eczema and when I was about 7 I was covered in it, everywhere apart from my face and I remember this girl saying to me that god hated me so much he gave me horrible skin (I'm not religious) but it made me upset.
I was also really tall compared to everyone when I was younger, so I got called lanky a lot, although i haven't grown since I was 13 haha.
I got called goofy a lot because I have a horrible overbite, had braces since.
I also remember in year 9, some girl wrote on her MSN name (hahaha) that I had the biggest nose ever.
Girls are the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 366
I was born with jet black hair and in secondary like year 7-9 it was quite long and sometimes covered my face, I was called "emo" for about 3 years and got told to go kill myself because that would probably be the only thing I'd be good at- I go to an all girls school so that pretty much explains it, girls are awful when it comes to things like this. I find it ironic that most of the people that bullied me for my hair have screwed up bleached black hair now lol.
People used to call me a chalk-eater and a glowstick because my skin is so pale. I was also told that I had poodle hair and should use band-aids instead of a bra (this was before my boobs came in and people told me not to brush curly hair).
I wish I didnt let it effect me but when you are young especially these things stick with you.

I was once told "Wow you are really pretty, you could be a model" I then was like "...me? thanks". These girls burst out laughing and said "haha dream on, we weren't being serious. You'd never be a model. Ugly piece of dirt, look at you!"
This is only one ocassion but it was probably the worst.
Reply 369
Original post by Sicaspeak
I was badly bullied in high school (I'm in my last year of college now)and a lot of the things that were said were about my appearance. When you're told that you're ugly by practically everyone in your year it does leave you with very low self-esteem that does still affect me at times. I decided to be home schooled in Year 8 to get away from it all which was a very lonely time in my life but things got better when I started at a small school in Year 10 where I made some life long friends who went through similar things. I also suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result and had to go through nearly 2 years of therapy to learn to deal with. I wish people would realise how much of an impact their actions have.

Also, I was walking through town with my boyfriend recently and a guy came up to us and said to my boyfriend "Mate, is that your girlfriend?! She is UGLY!". I ended up in tears but I just try and ignore things like that now because my boyfriend tells me I'm the most beautiful girl he has ever seen and that's the only opinion I should be listening to.

If that's you in your avatar, you're really not ugly !

Original post by beckalou
Been called ugly and fat throughout primary and secondary school.Some guy once told me in front of my whole German class that i'm fat, ugly and no one would ever want me.

I think you're pretty :smile:

Original post by Jabberwox
I've been told numerous things which have knocked my confidence.

- People used to comment how my hair was thin and dead, which led to a complex that my hair was horrible.
- Someone called me 'big nose' once and that I looked like a pig. That sure made me feel great...
- My ex said I had saggy boobs and that they ''needed work''.

I don't dwell on them so much now but they're still the three body parts that I hate the most.

I think you're beautiful :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
People always accusing me of my hair not being real and pulling on it

This girl made me bend over in school and felt up and down my sides and decided to declare I 'had no figure' in the schoolyard for some reason. Like she decided to 'gauge people' for some ridiculous reason. I'm sorry but, is she weird or jealous or right?

Reply 371
Had a fair few comments about my height (I'm 5'10), usually off guys I don't even know. I know 5'10 is tall but it's not THAT tall surely
(edited 10 years ago)
I get picked on because I'm 5ft and was called fat when I was the first lId to hit puberty and just doubled in weight at around 10.... Then had to chane separately in the toilets for PE
Original post by GPH92
If that's you in your avatar, you're really not ugly !

Yeah, that is me in my avatar :colondollar: Thank you, that's really nice of you to say :smile:
I used to get bullied mercilessly because of my inability to walk on two legs and I look like a furry anteater :frown:
Reply 375
Original post by Caits7
Never really for looks, the closest I've been was when I told someone I was a 32C and they said "good things come in small packages".

However, my personality has been absolutely slated by a couple of people, they called me "gassed" and a "pretentious sket" amongst many other things.

It was a smart young london youth with a hoody?
Yeah I've been called ugly quite a few times because I was the darkest out of me and my brother.. Then I've been told that my eyebrows are crap which is a huge turn off and so I will be single and unloved for life
Reply 377
At secondary school, being the "smartest" meant being scorned. On top of being the "swot", I was also considered "ugly". I had never been conscious of my appearance before. I thought I was perfect and beautiful, and felt this was true of all girls in their own ways.

For five years, my head was pelted with bits of rubber (it was a game for the guys -- hitting my head meant scoring).

On a non-uniform day, I made an effort to look good. Perhaps I didn't have a 'great' sense of fashion back then, so it meant coming to school in tight yellowy skinny jeans and a cream coloured top. I remember how one of the guys from the 'good-looking/hot' group saw me and said 'now SHE is a COMPLETE babe' sarcastically, to which the other guys responded with a drawn-out 'ERRRRRRRRRRRR'. This was in earshot of the whole class. The part that hurt the most was I hadn't detected the sarcasm initially and for five seconds I'd felt great...shame on me.

This guy became less of a bully later on, or maybe he was just in a better mood on another day when he looked at me and said "you ARE kind of pretty". I was smiling all day after that, ridiculous thought it may sound now.

At one point, the group of "good-looking/hot" guys and girls would follow me around the school, saying stuff like "do you have a willy?" or "she has a willy".

I was walking down the corridor. A girl from a group of ~15 people from my year group said "hi" to me. I responded: "hello". The whole group laughed and jeered at me as I left the corridor.

A guy came up to me in ICT class (he was sat in a group of ten or so guys and had gotten dared to come up) and started rubbing my back my his hand and saying "hey SEXY". I didn't say anything. He walked back to the sound of cheers/laughter/applause from his group.

I was sat between two guys (boy-girl seating plan) in my form class. I had a rolled up poster in front of me (some project or other). One of the guys picked it up, banged it on my head. I tried to get it off him, so he threw it to the guy on my other side, who then banged it on my head. (This is making me laugh as I write.) They started a game: guy#1 bangs it on my head, throws it to guy#2, guy#2 bangs it on my head, throws it back to guy#1 and so on. Took some time for the form tutor to tell them to stop. Once again, I was the laughing stock of my class.

I'm literally a 28AA. Don't think I need to say any more.

It's hard to read all that and NOT think I'm 'ugly', right? Would you believe that, when I came to University, I was considered one of the most beautiful girls on my course?

I get a lot of compliments at University. I try very hard to believe them. Gradually, I'm starting to see myself as beautiful again. But now and then, I can't help it -- I feel ugly to the point of feeling like a man on the outside.

I'm mailing pictures to those who want to see the girl behind the story for themselves.
Yeah I have usually racist comments :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 379
Original post by Muckoz
It was a smart young london youth with a hoody?

He was a young london youth, although suprisingly more of a gender confused six year old in an old person's wardrobe than a hoody wearer ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending