The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingdoo
Grade boundaries for pretty much every subject changes every year. This includes course work and I am pretty sure it will change for English although I am not sure about drama because it is performance based.

Edit the examiner can change the marks that you are given and the grades can increase or decrease

Yeah my teachers said for Drama it might change but a lot of the time Drama never works in our favour cos a lot of people don't get the grade they want first time round, but that's in the written, so hopefully if boundaries change by 2 marks for the performance side then it's all good:smile: cos it's not gonna change for the written exam I'm guessing? Cos we did the written in Jan. Or can the boundaries change in August from the Jan one?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well it did, I didn't want the relative poverty, just what poor was so I could see if I was poor.

I'll be receiving EMA so I'll say I'm poor :lol:

Yeh, EMA sounds poor. Shame, I was just starting to like you, but I make a habit of not befriending poor people. Wouldn't want someone seeing me with them; you can see how that would be embarrassing. I'd be the laughing stock of the country club.
My friend found out today that he has his place, got a letter of acceptance in the post. Did not think they would come this early! It's for English Literature at Aberystwyth btw!
Original post by PythianLegume
Pushy parenting works. It might not be the best method, but the children of pushy parents tend to be much smarter than average.

they're not necessarily smarter, just better trained to pass exams, parrot fashion. and handed opportunities those of us without family connections and wealth have to work hard for.

I have a friend with a theology offer from oxford who everyone agrees isn't incredibly "smart" that is, intelligent, but because she went to a very good private school and played the game she's put herself in a good position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3924
Original post by HPAG
Don't stress i'm pretty sure you'll get in, you did work so hard.:wink:

So is your firm better than your brothers that you get laughing rights ?:cool:

Aww thanks. :smile: Well, they are on a similar level. But my brother didn't get in first time so he had to wait a year and then take a foundation year at a different university to get to the university where he is now. So I kinda already have laughing rights, he just doesn't realize it. :^_^:
Reply 3925
Why are we the last to know our results? We should have the right to know them first
Original post by kettlechips
they're not necessarily smarter, just better trained to pass exams, parrot fashion. and handed opportunities those of us without family connections and wealth have to work hard for.

I have a friend with a theology offer from oxford who everyone agrees isn't incredibly "smart" that is, intelligent, but because she went to a very good private school and played the game she's put herself in a good position.

I agree that the children of pushy parents do better than their intellect might predict. However, I suspect that friend is still smarter than average, even if he isn't 'Oxford level' of smart. My point was that pushing your child to engage in education and encouraging them will make them smarter. It's purely a practice effect - if you force your child to do extra work, they will become smarter.
Original post by bunny96
Why are we the last to know our results? We should have the right to know them first

But imagine the stress if you didn't meet the grades, but had to wait a week to see whether you'd got in.
Reply 3928
But imagine the stress if you didn't meet the grades, but had to wait a week to see whether you'd got in.

Yeah I guess you're right
I'm just finding all this waiting really difficult :frown:
Probably should have done this in chemistry unit 5:
Original post by ve_1995
Haha same, I lose track of what day of the week it is! I'll probably be a nervous wreck by wednesday though :/

DOn't worry, think of it like I do- it's too late to do anything about the grades. Worrying was for the exams, not results day.
Original post by Silcce
Ahhh, add me: silvve :colondollar:

Done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popnit
Where is this expressed?

i emailed them and thats wat they replied bk to me
I am sick of reading this education debate! I read enough and studied enough at AS level Sociology in the education module to know that there is inequality in the education system to a certain extent, it's a proven fact... I don't care if 'richer' people do better than me however, good for them. I'm happy to try my best and that's all any of us can do these days :smile: Good luck everyone
Original post by Jessie7003
I am sick of reading this education debate! I read enough and studied enough at AS level Sociology in the education module to know that there is inequality in the education system to a certain extent, it's a proven fact... I don't care if 'richer' people do better than me however, good for them. I'm happy to try my best and that's all any of us can do these days :smile: Good luck everyone

But it's fun and interesting to debate these things. :biggrin:
Reply 3935
Original post by Cryl
Aww thanks. :smile: Well, they are on a similar level. But my brother didn't get in first time so he had to wait a year and then take a foundation year at a different university to get to the university where he is now. So I kinda already have laughing rights, he just doesn't realize it. :^_^:

Cool.:cool: Best of luck.
Original post by kettlechips

Pushy parenting wealth and connections. My family have always pushed me to do as well as I can so that I can be in a better position than them when I am their age. They realise they haven't always taken the best paths in their lives and they want me to do well for myself. I am extremely grateful to my parents for their attitude towards my work at school. They aren't wealthy and I don't go to private school, nor I have never had a private tutor.
I think you'll find that richer people tend to get into better universities because they are more intelligent. I don't think it's fair that rich kids are more intelligent, but it is an undeniable fact. Wealth is strongly correlated with intelligence, but that correlation is mostly coincidental - you don't need money to raise a smart child.

There's just so much stupid in this paragraph I'm not even going to attempt to question it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Pushy parenting wealth and connections. My family have always pushed me to do as well as I can so that I can be in a better position than them when I am their age. They realise they haven't always taken the best paths in their lives and they want me to do well for myself. I am extremely grateful to my parents for their attitude towards my work at school. They aren't wealthy and I don't go to private school, nor I have never had a private tutor.

There's a difference between pushy and supportive, but I completely agree with you. As I said earlier, I think pushy parenting is more common among the immigrant community, rather than rich, white, middle class people.
Original post by Markg125
There's just so much stupid in this paragraph I'm not even going to attempt to question it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But rich people are more intelligent on average. Like I said, it's an undeniable fact. Care to tell me how wealth is the most important factor in academic success?