The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SciFiRory
he wasn't played on the wing last season though, he played up front...you don't even know where your own players play :lol:

Huh? He played about 3 games up front. Giroud/Podolski/Gervinho all played more games up front than Walcott
Tbf Walcott did only play up front briefly at the start of the season, he was mainly played on the wing. Walcott has the standard problem he's had for a long while, he have a blinder score a hat trick then decline for the next few games then bang in two in a game. If we are judging players on their ability in random games, then Nani is the best winger in the league. That said, our winger were abysmal last season but we didn't really play with wingers. Valencia did a job of sorts out wide, Young barely featured, same with Nani, Welbeck played a winger forward role, Kagawa out wide.

Cleverly isn't on the same level as JW, not even close. I would said he's probably in the second tier of European young CM's just behind Thiago and Kroos but alongside the likes of Pogba and Verratii. Clev on the other hand is second rate, much like Welbeck I question whether if he were not at the club already would we consider signing him.
forget it mate, questioning the second coming of Jesus/Pele and Marradona that is Wilshere is a crime against humanity on the internet.

when he fails to live up to the hype like most English youngsters it will be us laughing at them but hey.

Was anyone saying he was the next coming of Jesus, Pele or anyone else? No. It's quite clear the he's a better player than Cleverly though, who is also 3 years older. That doesn't mean he's not overrated by Arsenal fans.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Tbf Walcott did only play up front briefly at the start of the season, he was mainly played on the wing. Walcott has the standard problem he's had for a long while, he have a blinder score a hat trick then decline for the next few games then bang in two in a game. If we are judging players on their ability in random games, then Nani is the best winger in the league. That said, our winger were abysmal last season but we didn't really play with wingers. Valencia did a job of sorts out wide, Young barely featured, same with Nani, Welbeck played a winger forward role, Kagawa out wide.

Cleverly isn't on the same level as JW, not even close. I would said he's probably in the second tier of European young CM's just behind Thiago and Kroos but alongside the likes of Pogba and Verratii. Clev on the other hand is second rate, much like Welbeck I question whether if he were not at the club already would we consider signing him.

I thought Walcott played so much better before he signed his £100,000 a week contract. But I agree Nani is better than any of our and Arsenals wingers when he is fully fit and not injured that is.

And I don't know why some United fans think Cleverly is better or at the same standard as Wilshere. Wilshere is way better whether they admit it or not. Yes his been injured most of the time but when fully fit he can change a game on his own which Cleverly simply can't do. I don't even know why we have this debate.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Was anyone saying he was the next coming of Jesus, Pele or anyone else? No. It's quite clear the he's a better player than Cleverly though, who is also 3 years older. That doesn't mean he's not overrated by Arsenal fans.

I disagree, he has the potential to be better than Cleverley but right now I would say they are about level. (apparently an opinion that is banned on the internet despite being one that clearly the England manager shares giving his team selections in the past but hey)
I disagree, he has the potential to be better than Cleverley but right now I would say they are about level. (apparently an opinion that is banned on the internet despite being one that clearly the England manager shares giving his team selections in the past but hey)

its not banned on the internet... just pretty commonly seen as ****ing stupid :wink:

I like both players, and both clubs pretty equally... but cleverly is still in the 'showing promise' phase

Whereas wilshire, when fit, just makes you sit back and admire.. some of his games (brazil, barca, etc) have been incredible.. - if it wasn't for wenger's bad management of him, then we would be seeing him a lot more, and all be praising him..
(apparently an opinion that is banned on the internet despite being one that clearly the England manager shares giving his team selections in the past but hey)

as for this section.. its just plain silly..

Wilshire: 7 caps
Cleverly: 9 caps

- though considering:

Cleverly is 3 years older,
Wilshire was injured for 18 months..

-- the fact that he has anywhere near as many caps as Cleverly just shows how valued he is by the national manager..
I think Wilshere is a very good player but overrated by Arsenal fans and some England fans as if hes the second coming of Jesus Christ. :lol:

However people underrate him as well thats for sure. Hes one of those where hes underrated at times and overrated as well. :tongue:

Hes better then Cleverly thats for sure even if hes had injuries.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
its not banned on the internet... just pretty commonly seen as ****ing stupid :wink:

I like both players, and both clubs pretty equally... but cleverly is still in the 'showing promise' phase

Whereas wilshire, when fit, just makes you sit back and admire.. some of his games (brazil, barca, etc) have been incredible.. - if it wasn't for wenger's bad management of him, then we would be seeing him a lot more, and all be praising him..

:rolleyes:

the fact you can only name two stand out performances of his says a LOT frankly, Cleverley may not give games on that level but he plays at a good level a lot more often, consistency is just as important as ability, nobody would rate Messi if he only played that well 5 games out of 38 for instance...so why they do Wilshere is beyond me (though fairly obviously due to people being England/Arsenal fans)
Original post by fallen_acorns
as for this section.. its just plain silly..

Wilshire: 7 caps
Cleverly: 9 caps

- though considering:

Cleverly is 3 years older,
Wilshire was injured for 18 months..

-- the fact that he has anywhere near as many caps as Cleverly just shows how valued he is by the national manager..

most of those caps for both have come in the last 2 years though...that was my point...Wilshere is younger yes, well done for observing that, do you want a medal? hence why I said he has the potential to better...I like how selective people read my posts here, any excuse to have a go on the internet I guess.
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
I thought Walcott played so much better before he signed his £100,000 a week contract. But I agree Nani is better than any of our and Arsenals wingers when he is fully fit and not injured that is.
And on form, Nani has always suffered horribly from fluctuations in form. Can't actually think of many players who are worse tbh. On a good days he's wc, up there with Robben as a near unplayable wide man, other days he's just useless.

And I don't know why some United fans think Cleverly is better or at the same standard as Wilshere. Wilshere is way better whether they admit it or not. Yes his been injured most of the time but when fully fit he can change a game on his own which Cleverly simply can't do. I don't even know why we have this debate.
I agree, I don't think they're comparable. Cleverly has had some decent games, but when has he had a brilliant game? Wilshere has had multiple games where he's be brilliant, the Brazil game as a recent one. He does quite regularly hit a level Cleverly doesn't and imo isn't capable of hitting. I'd say Cleverly and Ramsay are far more comparable, even then I'd probably go with Ramsay ( I rate him, I think he gets misused by Arsenal).
Reply 8391
When Cleverley really came onto the scene about 2 years ago, he looked very promising. Two years later, where has he gotten? He's lost that promise and now just feels like he's an average player. I agree with Doggyfizzel completely, Cleverley isn't anywhere close to being considered a good midfielder, and he isn't the type of player we would look at twice if he wasn't in our team. In fact, none of Cleverley, Jones, Welbeck or Smalling have built on the promise they've shown, and if anything they've regressed. To be fair to Welbeck and Jones, they've been forced out of position most of the time, as has Smalling on the rare opportunities he gets to play. As for Cleverley, there aren't the same excuses...Prior to getting injured in that Bolton game 2 years ago, he was looking great in the first 4-5 games of that season. Since then, I haven't really felt the same about him. This season is going to be huge for him, as it seems we're not going to sign anyone in midfield. He absolutely has to improve, same for Anderson.
most of those caps for both have come in the last 2 years

and in the last 2 years, wilshire was injured for 1.

Yet has nearly the same number of caps? in half the time?

funny that..

You would almost presume that the england manager favours him over cleverly... hmm...

But that couldnt be the case, could it? :rolleyes:

-- EDIT.. your neg hurt... hurt me bad SciFiRory :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
:rolleyes:

the fact you can only name two stand out performances of his says a LOT frankly, Cleverley may not give games on that level but he plays at a good level a lot more often, consistency is just as important as ability, nobody would rate Messi if he only played that well 5 games out of 38 for instance...so why they do Wilshere is beyond me (though fairly obviously due to people being England/Arsenal fans)

I watched all of arsenals games last season..

To the best of my recolection, I can remember 2 (possibly 3) occasions when wilshire wasnt playing very well...

Most of the time, even just having come back from injury, he put in great performances, and topped player-ratings after the game..

- When not injured, performing consistantly well, has been one of his greatest strengths..

(though his injuries have marred peoples views on him, especially last season..)

- its very very clear that you dont watch many arsenal games, (as you said MOTD, - which hardly shows off a player like wilshire that well, as he is rarely in the goals/assists..)
Reply 8394
Original post by EmperorMustard
Scores 21 goals almost all from the wing in a season.

'**** on the wing'

Seriously? I understand it's been vogue to hate on Walcott for the past 5 seasons now but this just shows how little of Walcott you watched last season (and the season before).

With regards to Cleverley/Wilshere, Wilshere is clearly a cut above. Cleverley is a tidy player, I actually thought they played quite well together against Brazil, but Wilshere has the ability to grab a game by the balls and drag a team to victory. Cleverley will keep you ticking but is less likely to produce a moment of magic to win a game.

Berbatov was the PL league top scorer in 10/11 season, yet he played pretty bad in parts of the season. He had great games but was inconsistent. I'd say the same about Walcott.

Wilshere is better than Cleverley, don't think I said he wasn't.
Original post by xDave-
When Cleverley really came onto the scene about 2 years ago, he looked very promising. Two years later, where has he gotten? He's lost that promise and now just feels like he's an average player. I agree with Doggyfizzel completely, Cleverley isn't anywhere close to being considered a good midfielder, and he isn't the type of player we would look at twice if he wasn't in our team. In fact, none of Cleverley, Jones, Welbeck or Smalling have built on the promise they've shown, and if anything they've regressed. To be fair to Welbeck and Jones, they've been forced out of position most of the time, as has Smalling on the rare opportunities he gets to play. As for Cleverley, there aren't the same excuses...Prior to getting injured in that Bolton game 2 years ago, he was looking great in the first 4-5 games of that season. Since then, I haven't really felt the same about him. This season is going to be huge for him, as it seems we're not going to sign anyone in midfield. He absolutely has to improve, same for Anderson.

I agree with it all, apart from Jones..

He proved himself to be a very very usefull player last season, and very capable of marking specific players out of the game..

He did a great job on ronaldo, and bale etc. :smile:

May have gotten in a bit of a muddle with his position being changed alot.. but he certianly has a lot of talent, and is a great addition to the team :smile:
Jones has shown that he has all the capabilities to become a world class player. Only 21. SAF thinks he'll be a lot more than just a world class player. I hope he's right.
Reply 8397
Arsenal are in talks with Gustavo
Original post by JM1987
Arsenal are in talks with Gustavo

Don't rate him as highly as most. Won't improve their team that much really.
Wow, alot of debate going on around here - a positive distraction from the transfer sagas I'll say.

Dave's post pretty much summed up my thoughts on Cleverley. Few years ago, when he got injured at Bolton, there was a genuine concern and disappointment as he had shown potential and we really felt he'd be a central figure in our team, if he maintained his levels.

Last season was his real test and tbh, he didn't really do anything outstanding. He scored a lovely goal in the first half of the campaign at home against Sunderland when he opened his body up to stroke the ball past Mignolet and his general skills are satisfactory but I just don't see him really progressing. This season is a must do better one for him. I'm expecting much more if no other midfielder is bought. I remember in the season when he got injured, he was exciting because he got the ball and wanted to move forward with it whereas last year, he seemed content to be deep and it sideways or a small pass forward. Maybe he felt playing alongside Carrick, that's what he had to do IDK, but he needs to push up the ladder quickly or lose out.

Jones/Smalling I feel for because they always get shifted around but the former did admirably and the latter had injury issues.

Welbeck should be producing more, another big season for him.

Latest