The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Three days, oh my.
Stupid edexcel not sending my results plus activation email, so annoyed :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3942
Original post by Jessie7003
I am sick of reading this education debate! I read enough and studied enough at AS level Sociology in the education module to know that there is inequality in the education system to a certain extent, it's a proven fact... I don't care if 'richer' people do better than me however, good for them. I'm happy to try my best and that's all any of us can do these days :smile: Good luck everyone

2 Days 14 hrs 26 Min 35 we have left to waste. So lets waste it productively.
Reply 3943
Original post by Tom_green_day
DOn't worry, think of it like I do- it's too late to do anything about the grades. Worrying was for the exams, not results day.

hmm yeah I guess. It's just scary to think there's nothing I can do to change it now! But what's done is done. It's annoying though that if we need to do retakes we can't do them in January, we have to do them in June :/
Original post by PythianLegume

I'm sorry, I'm sure you've been asked this before but I was just interested in where your username comes from? Its etymology? :smile:

Edit: This was for PythianLegume
Original post by Lifeisgood:)
I'm sorry, I'm sure you've been asked this before but I was just interested in where your username comes from? Its etymology? :smile:

You mean me? It says you quoted me, but I see no quote... :confused:

Anyway, it comes from Orson Scott Card's Shadow Saga. It's an online alias used by a Greek character called Bean, hence PythianLegume.

I highly recommend reading Ender's Game by Card.
Original post by Ecawthorn
Yeah my teachers said for Drama it might change but a lot of the time Drama never works in our favour cos a lot of people don't get the grade they want first time round, but that's in the written, so hopefully if boundaries change by 2 marks for the performance side then it's all good:smile: cos it's not gonna change for the written exam I'm guessing? Cos we did the written in Jan. Or can the boundaries change in August from the Jan one?

Every exam has a slight change in terms of grade boundaries as the difficulty tends to change slightly. But by how much depends on the performance of every student. But good luck anyway.:wink:
Original post by HPAG
Chill. You must be no ARE the exception that proves the rule.:cool:

What does that mean?:lol:

Must be no are?

Yeh, EMA sounds poor. Shame, I was just starting to like you, but I make a habit of not befriending poor people. Wouldn't want someone seeing me with them; you can see how that would be embarrassing. I'd be the laughing stock of the country club.

It's okay, with EMA I'll be able to buy friends :teeth:

I can't be seen with rich folk like you, I'll be forever taunted for trying to be better than I truly am :sadnod:
I wasn't trying to be nitpicky. But it's a correlation - as wealth increases, so does intelligence and academic success. It doesn't really matter how you define rich and poor - if one group is richer than the other, it will be more intelligent (so long as you have a large enough and representative sample).

Then why did Prince William get grades ABC at a level and Prince Harry get BD only, dropping a subject?

Yet he could go to one of the best unis. and Prince Harrys are pretty bad. I have no hate for the royal family tho I love them. Just pointing out that wealth and circumstance does not equal intelligence

If I got ABC I would find myself in clearing and everyone thinks that is pretty average.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What does that mean?:lol:

Must be no are?

You must be...no, ARE...the exception to the rule.

Grammar is very important.
Reply 3950
Original post by nataash
Hey! I know grade boundaries are released on wednesday but does anyone know what time they are released? Like at midnight or something?

It's all a little ambiguous...
They're suppose to be released at Midnight however you'll end up receiving them at 1/2am on the TSR which takes a long time to find your specific versions...

However...
It is normally between Wednesday and Thursday nights sometimes...

So confusing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladynova
Then why did prince William get grades ABC at a level and Prince harry get BD only, dropping a subject?

Yet he could go to one of the best unis.

If I got ABC I would find myself in clearing and everyone thinks that is pretty average.

Firstly, it was a few years ago, so expectations weren't as high. Secondly, I hardly think a Prince is a good example of this. I mean,any individual example would be irrelevant and anecdotal, but he's going to be King. Surely the university would take him just to say we taught the future King.
I expect a full set of A*s, anything less than that is reprehensible and shameful.

I'm from Asian family. I cannot bring shame to the family.
(edited 10 years ago)
Firstly, it was a few years ago, so expectations weren't as high. Secondly, I hardly think a Prince is a good example of this. I mean,any individual example would be irrelevant and anecdotal, but he's going to be King. Surely the university would take him just to say we taught the future King.

no I totally disproved your point, they both went to Eton, are incredibly wealthy and from a lineage of wealth and they are not that intelligent. Seeing as A levels are harder now even an ABC now is better than that result.
But rich people are more intelligent on average. Like I said, it's an undeniable fact. Care to tell me how wealth is the most important factor in academic success?

Firstly can this undeniable fact be backed up by more evidence than a jumped-up little toff. Secondly even if it was true (which I highly doubt), its not hard to work out why. Wealth brings more resources, meaning a better quality of all things that help academics strive like private tutors, an ability to not be taught with morons in the class, more text books as well as all the other perks that come with wealth like a stable household, less stress and more of a self-esteem boost. All of these things put rich kids at an advantage, now that is a undeniable fact, so much so that if some who comes from a poor background gets near the same grades to a rich kids, it's almost embarrassing for the one that has been given it all.

And lastly because I just don't make 'undeniable fact' countless examples can be seen that include but not limited to:

- John Prescott (deputy prime minister)
- Dr David starkey
- Anthony davis
- Alastair camball
- Andrew Neil
- Dennis skinner

ALL are highly successful and respected in there field, and all come from a solid working class background.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Quick Question, I have an offer of 260 for a course at uni. If i get 270 points on results day can I apply for the same course with a year working without going through clearing?
Original post by ladynova
no I totally disproved your point, they both went to Eton, are incredibly wealthy and from a lineage of wealth and they are not that intelligent. Seeing as A levels are harder now even an ABC now is better than that result.

A Levels are not harder now, grades have been increasing.

You've shown that rich people can go to Eton and not succeed academically. OK, this also disproves the point that wealth can buy education and make people succeed, the point I was arguing against. But mostly it proves jack ****. This is one example of one family. I said that wealth was correlated with intelligence. Do you not understand what correlation means? It means that on average rich people are smarter, but that not all rich people are smart and not all poor people are stupid. Your example proves nothing except that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.
Original post by ve_1995
hmm yeah I guess. It's just scary to think there's nothing I can do to change it now! But what's done is done. It's annoying though that if we need to do retakes we can't do them in January, we have to do them in June :/

Yeah I know, at this stage it seems as though if I don't get what I want I'll just have to choose a different university, as retakes would just be so stressful (especially for bloody music).
Most of the people claiming to be unbearably nervous on this thread...

meme.png
A Levels are not harder now, grades have been increasing.

You've shown that rich people can go to Eton and not succeed academically. OK, this also disproves the point that wealth can buy education and make people succeed, the point I was arguing against. But mostly it proves jack ****. This is one example of one family. I said that wealth was correlated with intelligence. Do you not understand what correlation means? It means that on average rich people are smarter, but that not all rich people are smart and not all poor people are stupid. Your example proves nothing except that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

We all know why that is the case except the lady you're arguing with.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest