The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kidomo

I'm from Asian family.

The humor is so subtle but I Like...
Original post by PythianLegume
You must be...no, ARE...the exception to the rule.

Grammar is very important.

Extremely. I'm ashamed to say I couldn't comprehend it...
Original post by Padouken
Most of the people claiming to be unbearably nervous on this thread...

meme.png

Lol so true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Superunknown17
Well I suppose it partially tends on what you're good at, as you say if you're better with calculations and the shorter questions then it might not be for you as there's only about one calculation worth about 5 marks at A2 :tongue:
It is very essay orientated which is why I like it I guess, I'm much better at writing essays

Hmm, well it's just a coloured in circle for your correct answers isn't it? The examiners can figure out the difference :smile:

I might drop it now :frown: and I do quite enjoy the subject but I'm not that good at writing under pressure. I really wanted to drop bio but now I have to think harder about that.

I heard they put the objective test through a machine but that's good that the examiners mark them. 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3964
Original post by Muppetmad
I think you're confusing equal opportunity with equal outcome; communism strove for the latter, not necessarily the former. A communist society may not work (of course, that is subject to opinion) but a society founded upon egalitarian principles of equal opportunity certainly might.

So you say due to equal opportunities would you be fine if someone dictates you , that you are not aloud to invest your hard earned money in your child (no private tutors etc) would you feel it's fair? My parents spent their life earning money and they spent it on my education. Why not?! Would you not allow some children wearing designer clothes?? Or would take away iPads from more fortunate children
Reply 3965
Original post by HPAG
Cool.:cool: Best of luck.

Thanks! You too!
A Levels are not harder now, grades have been increasing.

You've shown that rich people can go to Eton and not succeed academically. OK, this also disproves the point that wealth can buy education and make people succeed, the point I was arguing against. But mostly it proves jack ****. This is one example of one family. I said that wealth was correlated with intelligence. Do you not understand what correlation means? It means that on average rich people are smarter, but that not all rich people are smart and not all poor people are stupid. Your example proves nothing except that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

you don't need to get angry because I proved your point is wrong. You can also argue mathematically that the royal family is worth 10,000 rich people, seeing as they were given the best of the best in education since birth. :smile:
Original post by FlyHigh_er
I might drop it now :frown: and I do quite enjoy the subject but I'm not that good at writing under pressure. I really wanted to drop bio but now I have to think harder about that.

I heard they put the objective test through a machine but that's good that the examiners mark them. ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love writing under pressure and seeing everyone around me shaking in their little cotton socks.
Reply 3968
This is gonna sound terrible, but I feel as if we're having a competition with GCSE results day thread on the number of posts. Currently we're winning!
It means that on average rich people are smarter,

Can you post some kind of proof of this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Markg125
Firstly can this undeniable fact be backed up by more evidence than a jumped-up little toff. Secondly even if it was true (which I highly doubt), its not hard to work out why. Wealth brings more resources, meaning a better quality of all things that help academics strive like private tutors, an ability to not be taught with morons in the class, more text books as well as all the other perks that come with wealth like a stable household, less stress and more of a self-esteem boost. All of these things put rich kids at an advantage, now that is a undeniable fact, so much so that if some who comes from a poor background gets near the same grades to a rich kids, it's almost embarrassing for the one that has been given it all.

And lastly because I just don't make 'undeniable fact' countless examples can be seen that include but not limited to:

- John Prescott (deputy prime minister)
- Dr David starkey
- Anthony davis
- Alastair camball
- Andrew Neil
- Dennis skinner

ALL are highly successful and respected in there field, and all come from a solid working class background.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh God, anecdotal examples of poor people doing well. Hey, guess what? I saw a woman taller than me, a man. That must mean that the phrase 'men are taller than women' is a crock of ****. No, that's not how statistics works. I clearly meant there was a correlation between wealth and intellect. Providing examples of smart poor people or dumb rich people does not disprove this.

Evidence of link between family wealth and intelligence:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/feb/15/poor-children-behind-sutton-trust
http://www.mikemcmahon.info/ParentEducationIncome.pdf
http://mmss.wcas.northwestern.edu/thesis/articles/get/776/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)#Income

The evidence for the link between household income and intelligence/educational success is huge. I put the early-years one there to show that the difference is not primarily down to education, but to environmental effects.
Original post by ladynova
you don't need to get angry because I proved your point is wrong. You can also argue mathematically that the royal family is worth 10,000 rich people, seeing as they were given the best of the best in education since birth. :smile:

That is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Giving a single example of something does not disprove a general trend. For example, men are taller than women. Finding a tall woman does not disprove this rule, because it's a correlation, an average.
Original post by SyedaK
This is gonna sound terrible, but I feel as if we're having a competition with GCSE results day thread on the number of posts. Currently we're winning!

The posts concerning intelligence and wealth are speeding things up :rolleyes:
Original post by Padouken
Most of the people claiming to be unbearably nervous on this thread...

meme.png

story of my life, except in my life I don't get any A* and I get Bs instead...
Original post by SyedaK

pfft GCSEs. How dare they stress over quadratic equations and pythagoras theorem.
That is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Giving a single example of something does not disprove a general trend. For example, men are taller than women. Finding a tall woman does not disprove this rule, because it's a correlation, an average.

Yes but still your argument that wealthy people are intrinsically more intelligent is wrong they just have better education because they went to private school. The £££ running through their veins from birth does not supply their brain with more intelligence. :u:
A Levels are not harder now, grades have been increasing.

You've shown that rich people can go to Eton and not succeed academically. OK, this also disproves the point that wealth can buy education and make people succeed, the point I was arguing against. But mostly it proves jack ****. This is one example of one family. I said that wealth was correlated with intelligence. Do you not understand what correlation means? It means that on average rich people are smarter, but that not all rich people are smart and not all poor people are stupid. Your example proves nothing except that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

I think, unfortunately you are right. I do believe, however, that the word intelligence is misused here, and should be replaced with "education". People have natural intelligence, but are just put at a disadvantage to those who are better educated - which makes it seem as though that the former isn't as intelligent as the latter. Your attitude is quite alarming, also.
Yes but still your argument that wealthy people are intrinsically more intelligent is wrong they just have better education because they went to private school. The £££ running through their veins from birth does not supply their brain with more intelligence. :u:

That's my point - that wealth does not intrinsically make you smarter, it's environmental effects. However, I disagree that this is due to their superior education - it's because of their superior upbringing. Their parents are more educated, tend to know more about eating healthily, are more likely to read with their children and discuss more advanced ideas around them.

Of course being rich doesn't make you smart, it's a correlation. That's my whole point. But you, and another, were denying that there was even a correlation between wealth and intelligence.

Totally agree with you intelligence has nothing to do with money it just means that people get better education:wink:
Original post by FlyHigh_er

I heard they put the objective test through a machine but that's good that the examiners mark them. 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd have a talk with your economics teacher and bio teacher and see which one you think you can be most successful in. Personally, for the A2 exams I feel you get an adequate amount of time, you've got 2 hours which is certainly do able but it is a lot of writing, there's no point sugar coating it.

Oh they may do, I'm not 100% but I'm sure they have ways of figuring out which one is your chosen answer :smile:

Latest