The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladynova
Then again there are the downsides of pushy parents such as the Kennedys, Although they were high achievers with the John F Kennedy becoming president obviously. They made Rosemary Kennedy have a lobotomy because they thought she was "retarded" having an average IQ compared to the other Kennedy's and sneaking out at night time like any normal 21 year old would who is cooped up in a convent. :beard:

Like I've said earlier in this discussion, I don't think pushy parenting is a terribly effective technique compared to supportive, encouraging parenting.
Then why can I think of hundreds of stupid/unacademic millionaires?

Care to list some? And please not Paris Hilton, or whatever. Inherited wealth is an entirely different issue.
Reply 4002
Original post by Muppetmad
I see a fundamental difference between rights and privileges: I do not feel that people should need to invest their hard-earned money in their child's education because the state education system should be strong enough to educate students of varying abilities consistently across the country. Or if not, at least have grants in place so that those who need tutors but cannot afford them can have access to them. Designer clothes are a privilege, iPads are a privilege - but I strongly believe education is a right that should be provided to all students consistently (because absolute equality is naturally impossible to achieve), irrespective of the region they live in or their economic status; because whether we wish to concede it or not, there are massive disparities between many schools. Address that issue (which is obviously easier said than done) and then fairness is achieved.

I am not blaming parents who choose to hire private tutors etc. to make up for the shortfall in the education system provided by the government; I am saying that it's unfair to all parties involved, because a) not all parents can do that and b) they shouldn't need to in the first place.

Very fair points
Original post by PythianLegume
I don't have a clear definition for smart or intelligent, but I imagine it's what most people would think - your capacity for reasoning and your 'thinking power' - your cognitive abilities.

I think the difference in our thinking is not that I see intelligence as knowing stuff, it's that you see education as merely helping you to know stuff, whereas I think that education leads to an increase in your intelligence and cognitive abilities. As you do more work, you simply get more practice with using your brain and thinking, hence you actually get smarter, as well as just learning more.

I think you've put your finger on it :smile: I wonder if studies have been done to see which is the case... *ponders*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4004
Are there any University of Edinburgh Firmers on this thread?
Original post by kevsamuel
Could all of you discuss the "wealthy children poor children" situation on another thread please?! Sh*tting bricks for results day!

You could get involved in the debate, it will take your mind away from anxiety-induced constipation :rolleyes:
Original post by kevsamuel
Could all of you discuss the "wealthy children poor children" situation on another thread please?! Sh*tting bricks for results day!

haha, indeed, I'd welcome another thread. I think there's a lack of clarity here for both sides of the argument .
Original post by Robbie242
Being stalking this thread while I've being banned, quite nervous now, at least my supervisor has allowed me to take a day off work during results day

I'm glad you didn't take English as an A-Level subject.
Reply 4008
Original post by xrpred
Well it seems both of our sleeping patterns are screwed up! So it'll be easy :wink: I'm tempted to invite a few friends over and head to the pub till about 1am thursday morning, then continue the fun at my place with some vodka :biggrin:. HOWEVER, I have been thinking, what happens if I (we) need to be lucid for thursday to call unis.

I think you should still do it, just try not to overdo it. I can handle a lot, so it should be fine xD And wow a lot of haters, as expected though, probably have no social life and will neg rep anyone who has, lol.
What time are we thinking track will update? UCAS themselves say 8 however last year lots of people found at out 7.
Original post by Qwertish
Care to list some? And please not Paris Hilton, or whatever. Inherited wealth is an entirely different issue.

honestly it is incredibly easy if you think about it. :wink:
Original post by Gilgamesh
See my latest post.

What Pythian (I think) is getting at, is that the environment of a well-off household tends to help raise a child to be intelligent as opposed (I assume he thinks) to a council house with a single mum.

Indeed that is essentially what I was saying, although I feel you've tried to make it sound like I think badly of the working class.

It was in response to someone writing an angry post about how everyone successful on this thread had only got there because their parents were wealthy and pushy and entrenched wealth meant that only rich people got into good universities.
Does anyone know when our colleges get our results?
honestly it is incredibly easy if you think about it. :wink:

Enlighten me. My mind has been numbed due to the proximity of results day.
Original post by 747-400
What time are we thinking track will update? UCAS themselves say 8 however last year lots of people found at out 7.

6-8is the time it will update, with e-mails being sent at 8.10.

Original post by Whitechark

Wednesday.
Original post by Whitechark

I think it's the night before, so they can prepare.
Reply 4016
Original post by Padouken
pfft GCSEs. How dare they stress over quadratic equations and pythagoras theorem.

The best post message I have seen ALL day.

In retrospect, yes...
HOW DARE THEY!
:smile::wink::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qwertish
Enlighten me. My mind has been numbed due to the proximity of results day.

Probably actors and footballers. :rolleyes:
Indeed that is essentially what I was saying, although I feel you've tried to make it sound like I think badly of the working class.

It was in response to someone writing an angry post about how everyone successful on this thread had only got there because their parents were wealthy and pushy and entrenched wealth meant that only rich people got into good universities.

Well, I'm certainly an exception to that. Although that remains to be seen until Thursday...
Probably actors and footballers. :rolleyes:

Ah, well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most actors aren't actually stupid (shock/horror).

Besides, I never said dumb people can't be wealthy...

Latest