The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8400
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Don't rate him as highly as most. Won't improve their team that much really.

Agreed.

On his day, he's great at the defensive side of the game. But going forward, I don't rate him. He might do the odd decent long pass and make some easy/obvious forward short passes. But that's it really. Most of the time, it will be sideways or backwards passes.

But he's still a good player to have in a squad nonetheless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable
Agreed.

On his day, he's great at the defensive side of the game. But going forward, I don't rate him. He might do the odd decent long pass and make some easy/obvious forward short passes. But that's it really. Most of the time, it will be sideways or backwards passes.

He is capable of making the odd decent pass, but yeah in general he plays it safe and retains possession with short and backwards passing. We have a very competent passer of the ball in Carrick, who he would play next to though. He's got a decent shot on him as well.

I can't think of a better player for our squad going for as little money as he will go for. Fellaini, who has worse passing, and would be a worse fit for the team would probably cost £8-£10m more
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns

- its very very clear that you dont watch many arsenal games, (as you said MOTD, - which hardly shows off a player like wilshire that well, as he is rarely in the goals/assists..)

Wilsheres form after the united match where he got the red card until the tottenham game was outstanding tbh. If he stays fit he'll be world class.

But tbh his opinion is based on MOTD. That's the problem. Shame about cleverley, he's gonna have to improve next season, but atm he's not good enough. Hence why he was dropped for jones there in the second half of the season.
Original post by jam277
Wilsheres form after the united match where he got the red card until the tottenham game was outstanding tbh. If he stays fit he'll be world class.

But tbh his opinion is based on MOTD. That's the problem. Shame about cleverley, he's gonna have to improve next season, but atm he's not good enough. Hence why he was dropped for jones there in the second half of the season.

its a shame, as I really hoped cleverly would do well :frown:

though there is still time.. some players do 'bloom' in their later years.. (arguably carrick for exsample..)

So maybe there is still time for him to become the player, many predicted he would..
Reply 8404
Original post by DaveSmith99
He is capable of making the odd decent pass, but yeah in general he plays it safe and retains possession with short and backwards passing. We have a very competent passer of the ball in Carrick, who he would play next to though. He's got a decent shot on him as well.

I can't think of a better player for our squad going for as little money as he will go for. Fellaini, who has worse passing, and would be a worse fit for the team would probably cost £8-£10m

Agreed.

I reckon you should have gone for Gustavo, considering the shortage of available, cheap and decent DMs atm.

If you could have gotten him and someone like Fabregas, your squad would pretty much have been perfect.
(edited 10 years ago)

though there is still time.. some players do 'bloom' in their later years.. (arguably carrick for exsample..)

So maybe there is still time for him to become the player, many predicted he would..

Thing is with carrick he was a class player at tottenham, he really thrived playing in a deep lying role at united now though. I think the talent has got to be there to begin with and glimpses of quality shown for you to become a world class/top tier player at the role.

I think that cleverley will improve, with more gametime and being injury free he has to and he certainly is a good squad player. I think the anderson cleverley partnership at the start of that season was great, people were saying that united no longer had CM problems.

Although it has to be said, Carrick was already improving year on year, and its only this year he's arguably surpassed his best form when he was playing a more dynamic role.
Original post by Cable
Agreed.

He just doesn't excite me at all, and this is coming from someone who's a big fan of defensive midfielders.
Original post by jam277
Thing is with carrick he was a class player at tottenham, he really thrived playing in a deep lying role at united now though. I think the talent has got to be there to begin with and glimpses of quality shown for you to become a world class/top tier player at the role.

I think that cleverley will improve, with more gametime and being injury free he has to and he certainly is a good squad player. I think the anderson cleverley partnership at the start of that season was great, people were saying that united no longer had CM problems.

Average player, also 24 now so well past the ''He's got potential stage''. Fine as a squad player.
Reply 8409

You know, it's funny...I initially thought Man City would be strong favourites for the league title this year. But after seeing their pre-season game against Arsenal, I'm not so sure now.

There's no doubting that Pel is a good coach. But it may take quite some time for him to get City to play his type of football and for the new signings to gel with the team. Additionally, I'm not sure how well he can motivate City to win the league. The quality is there at City but will they have the motivation?

On the other hand, while Moyes is a downgrade from Fergie, there are still a lot of experienced winners at Man Utd. I also expect the likes of Zaha to do well and lift Man Utd.

In other words, Moyes and MU may surprise a lot of people this season and do very well in the league.
Original post by Cable
You know, it's funny...I initially thought Man City would be strong favourites for the league title this year. But after seeing their pre-season game against Arsenal, I'm not so sure now.

There's no doubting that Pel is a good coach. But it may take quite some time for him to get City to play his type of football and for the new signings to gel with the team. Additionally, I'm not sure how well he can motivate City to win the league. The quality is there at City but will they have the motivation?

On the other hand, while Moyes is a downgrade from Fergie, there are still a lot of experienced winners at Man Utd. I also expect the likes of Zaha to do well and lift Man Utd.

In other words, Moyes and MU may surprise a lot of people this season and do very well in the league.

Initially, I was worried about beating the big teams in the league this season. But that doesn't worry me at all. I think on our day, we can beat anyone.

What worries me, and part of this came before kick-off yesterday, is steam-rolling through the weaker teams. Under SAF, before kick-off for 50% of our league games, I was 95% sure that we would pick up three points. Now under Moyes, that 95% has just dropped slightly. That is what's just started to worry me.

I've actually gone the opposite way compared to most people in regards to City. When Pellegrini came in, I sort of wrote-off City as title challengers with his lack of success. But they've brought in a lot of quality, too much quality for a lot of the league's teams to handle. I've gotten more worried by their threat as the Summer has developed.
(edited 10 years ago)
amie jackson @GuardianJamieJ

Nani wants to stay at #mufc and is expected to do so. He is keen to sign a new contract, fight for starting place

Good news
Reply 8412
Initially, I was worried about beating the big teams in the league this season. But that doesn't worry me at all. I think on our day, we can beat anyone.

What worries me, and part of this came before kick-off yesterday, is steam-rolling through the weaker teams. Under SAF, I knew that before 50% of our league games, before kick-off, I was 95% sure that we would pick up three points. Now under Moyes, that 95% has just dropped slightly. That is what's just started to worry me.

You've got a good point there.

Moyesie struggled against several midtable and weak teams at Everton. He just couldn't kill them off. This may drag on to his tenure at MU.

But maybe the likes of RVP can help him out? Who else can you see being a matchwinner for MU in a tight game apart from Hernandez?
I've actually gone the opposite way compared to most people in regards to City. When Pellegrini came in, I sort of wrote-off City as title challengers with his lack of success. But they've brought in a lot of quality, too much quality for a lot of the league's teams to handle. I've gotten more worried by their threat as the Summer has developed.

Interesting lol.

I still expect Man City and Pel to put up a strong challenge for the title. But whether they will live up to that expectation? I'm not so sure now.

I expect Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd to be in the top 3. But which position each team will be? I don't know. However, I don't expect MU to win the PL title. I'm just saying they might do surprisingly well and scrape 2nd place.
Original post by Cable
Who else can you see being a matchwinner for MU in a tight game apart from Hernandez?

Wayne, if he stays. I think the kid Januzaj is something special - the chosen one. I see huge things in the future for him. But Van Persie rescued a lot of points last year, Hernandez too. Hopefully they can do the same this year.

I think the top three will be tight. Chelsea need a striker. If they can secure if good one, I'd make them favourites. For now, I'm sitting on the fence, leaning towards United as usual :moon:
Valencia gives up his number 7 shirt

Moyes says we're closer to signing a player

Ronaldo misses training with Portugal http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=420890

Ronaldo's in manchester

:colone:

(this isn't a serious post before everyone goes mad)
Ronaldo isn't in Manchester. Put it away!
Valencia gives up his number 7 shirt

Moyes says we're closer to signing a player

Ronaldo misses training with Portugal http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=420890

Ronaldo's in manchester

:colone:

(this isn't a serious post before everyone goes mad)

I really hope you guys sign him back someday! Will be awesome to watch him week in week out again =D
Original post by IdeasForLife
I really hope you guys sign him back someday! Will be awesome to watch him week in week out again =D

I don't think you'll be saying that when he starts banging the goals in against your team, if he were to come back that is. But I don't see it happening to be honest. Probably just dragging his contract talks on to hold on for a better deal but will eventually sign it.
x

Don't forget Rio's tweet and Real Madrid bidding a silly amount for Bale. 10 years ago today as well.
Original post by Whitechapel
Ronaldo isn't in Manchester. Put it away!

Yeah, the whole thing started because Paddy Crerand said his son saw Ronaldo get off a private jet at Manchester airport :rofl:

Latest