The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've finished 1st year and lived in B Block Howden.

Here's some things that I wanted to know so shall answer...

- Most blocks shall be like A+B together, C+D together. So if you're B1 Howden, your neighbours shall be A1. And then C1 shall be the block next door, but you cannot get into there with your key fob. So again if you're B1, above you shall be B2, then B3 and so forth.

- I don't think you'll get to know whether you're mixed sex or not. If you've applied for single sex then you'll be with all girls/boys. There are random flats about that are all girls and boys. For example A+B blocks for Howden I think were all mixed sex flats of 6-8 people, but then A5 were a group of 6 girls with 2 deluxe rooms. So it's all very random!

- It's not first come first serve. So if you realised you could apply for accommodation a few days after you realised, don't worry, it's all random!

- You'll also not automatically be put with certain people. Like if you do Law, you won't be put with Law people. It's all random.

- Take photo's of EVERYTHING in your flat when you 1st move in. You'll be wanting to speak to people but everyone shall be in their room's with their families moving in, so take photo's of everything in your room, the corridors, kitchen and living area.

- A must for freshers...a door stop!! The doors are heavy, your bin just won't hold the door.

- Go across to your neighbours and ask them to come and play cards or something. We were very scared to, but now I'm living with all of them!

- Don't be scared! When you 1st bring your stuff up to your new flat it's the most surreal experience ever with random people coming and moving into rooms. But after 2 nights, you'll feel like you've known them forever. Also, take the 1st step and offer to make a cup of tea...I didn't like tea very much; but I drank a lot of it during the 1st couple of days!

Any other questions go ahead and ask guys!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by doowahdoo
I've finished 1st year and lived in B Block Howden.

Here's some things that I wanted to know so shall answer...

- Most blocks shall be like A+B together, C+D together. So if you're B1 Howden, your neighbours shall be A1. And then C1 shall be the block next door, but you cannot get into there with your key fob. So again if you're B1, above you shall be B2, then B3 and so forth.

- I don't think you'll get to know whether you're mixed sex or not. If you've applied for single sex then you'll be with all girls/boys. There are random flats about that are all girls and boys. For example A+B blocks for Howden I think were all mixed sex flats of 6-8 people, but then A5 were a group of 6 girls with 2 deluxe rooms. So it's all very random!

- It's not first come first serve. So if you realised you could apply for accommodation a few days after you realised, don't worry, it's all random!

- You'll also not automatically be put with certain people. Like if you do Law, you won't be put with Law people. It's all random.

- Take photo's of EVERYTHING in your flat when you 1st move in. You'll be wanting to speak to people but everyone shall be in their room's with their families moving in, so take photo's of everything in your room, the corridors, kitchen and living area.

- A must for freshers...a door stop!! The doors are heavy, your bin just won't hold the door.

- Go across to your neighbours and ask them to come and play cards or something. We were very scared to, but now I'm living with all of them!

- Don't be scared! When you 1st bring your stuff up to your new flat it's the most surreal experience ever with random people coming and moving into rooms. But after 2 nights, you'll feel like you've known them forever. Also, take the 1st step and offer to make a cup of tea...I didn't like tea very much; but I drank a lot of it during the 1st couple of days!

Any other questions go ahead and ask guys!

am in A3 any idea of colour perhaps :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Gaijin2013
am in A3 any idea of colour perhaps :biggrin:

Your room is a very delightful green!! (Mine was too, it's actually an alright green :P)

Think you're also in a flat of 6, I think all of A block are, then B block are 8's :smile:
Your room is a very delightful green!! (Mine was too, it's actually an alright green :P)

Think you're also in a flat of 6, I think all of A block are, then B block are 8's :smile:

I can live with green :biggrin: and made up its a 6, just need to find these other 5 now
Reply 65

Do you know how many people to a flat in C Block Howden?
I got in through adjustment so it wasn't until results day that I knew I was coming to Sheffield so I only applied for my accommodation yesterday. I doubt anyone's working on the weekend so I don't expect anything until Monday at the earliest but I'm slightly worried that everyone seems to be getting accommodation offers already!

Anyone else in my position?
Original post by hungryatafuneral
I got in through adjustment so it wasn't until results day that I knew I was coming to Sheffield so I only applied for my accommodation yesterday. I doubt anyone's working on the weekend so I don't expect anything until Monday at the earliest but I'm slightly worried that everyone seems to be getting accommodation offers already!

Anyone else in my position?

You will get something, you're not going to end up homeless and living in a carboard box near the shops in Broomhill! The people who already have accommodation are either returners, those who have taken a gap year, or had Sheffield as their firm or insurance.
Original post by .snowflake.
You will get something, you're not going to end up homeless and living in a carboard box near the shops in Broomhill! The people who already have accommodation are either returners, those who have taken a gap year, or had Sheffield as their firm or insurance.

I'm glad to have somewhere, I was worried I'd end up renting a flat in the city through a letting agency. I don't mind not having priority then, since I applied so late it would be unreasonable to expect it

Thanks for replying :biggrin:
Original post by hungryatafuneral
I'm glad to have somewhere, I was worried I'd end up renting a flat in the city through a letting agency. I don't mind not having priority then, since I applied so late it would be unreasonable to expect it

Thanks for replying :biggrin:

Hope you get something you're happy with. Ranmoor isnt that bad, and neither is Stevenson - you just end up sat in the corridoor if you're hosting pre-drinks! I will admit their floor isnt comfy :/
Original post by .snowflake.
Hope you get something you're happy with. Ranmoor isnt that bad, and neither is Stevenson - you just end up sat in the corridoor if you're hosting pre-drinks! I will admit their floor isnt comfy :/

Haha, as long as there's a roof over my head and somewhere warm and dry to sleep I'm happy! Thank you :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by lgsk
Do you know how many people to a flat in C Block Howden?

In C block I believe that there are 8 people. Last year, 4 were international students and 4 were from the UK. And your rooms are red! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Gaijin2013
I can live with green :biggrin: and made up its a 6, just need to find these other 5 now

It's quite a nice green really as far as green goes! I've found a Howden facebook group if you would like to try and find people :smile: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Howden-University-of-Sheffield-Accommodation-201314/636057463084806
It's quite a nice green really as far as green goes! I've found a Howden facebook group if you would like to try and find people :smile: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Howden-University-of-Sheffield-Accommodation-201314/636057463084806

Thanks , it still quiet at the moment :smile:
I'm going to be in D4, Yarncliffe. Anyone else?
Reply 75
Are Endclife ensuites like wet room, or is there an enclosed shower cubicle? The room tours just seem to show the doorway, and you can't see anything bar the toilet and wall tiling!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Mojojojo
Are Endclife ensuites like wet room, or is there an enclosed shower cubicle? The room tours just seem to show the doorway, and you can't see anything bar the toilet and wall tiling!

They're basically a wet room yes, you'll have a shower curtain you can pull around but it is just a sink, then toilet and then shower head. You'll have maintenance people who come around (you'll always get emailed about stuff like this and then get left a little slip if you're not there!) who clean the shower heads, so to be honest they're pretty good showers :smile:
Reply 77
They're basically a wet room yes, you'll have a shower curtain you can pull around but it is just a sink, then toilet and then shower head. You'll have maintenance people who come around (you'll always get emailed about stuff like this and then get left a little slip if you're not there!) who clean the shower heads, so to be honest they're pretty good showers :smile:

Thank you for answering! Does the shower curtain stop the whole floor getting soaked then, or is it a flip flop job?
Reply 78
Hi guys, really need some advice

I have been offered a self-catering en-suite room in Opal 2 for this year, but I had read bad reviews about the thin walls, noisy club nearby and the lack of social atmosphere

They have now given me the choice of that or a shared-bathroom, catered room in Endcliffe.

What are the shared bathrooms like and is it worth the sacrifice to be in Endcliffe?
Reply 79
I'm not sure what you mean about a club nearby to Opal 2, it's surrounded by some houses.

Also I would stay in Opal 2 a lot and it's fine, it's a different colour to Endcliffe and has less trees; but you can leave 5 minutes before a lecture rather than 30 minutes for Endcliffe folk. Plus if you want to go to the gym, there's one on site as well as a swimming pool.

Then in terms of a shared bathroom at Endcliffe, it will not be new. It'll most probably be stephenson by the sounds of it? This building is old (and I believe listed) so surely that's an issue with thin walls. Do you want to pay like a grand and a bit extra to be catered rather than save that money and have your own ensuite and live 5 minutes away from Uni?

Also opal 2 does have a large amount of international students it appears, but that doesn't mean there's a lack of social atmosphere!

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending